Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cabbage Desktop / Cabbage Mobile mega thread (Desktop/mobile texting app)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Yay, I recently switched from o2 SpeakEasy to o2 Release (for business, free unlimited calls and texts within Ireland) and was worried that once I used up my 250 free webtexts, that I might be charged for the "charged" texts, because when I had 5c text bundle on speakeasy, the "charged" texts after the 250 from cabbage were charged at normal rate, not the text bundle rate, but it's not the case for bill pay. I think their "fair usage" policy is about 4,000 texts a month, should be ok so :D

Just looking at the CSV file my "myphoneexplorer" outputs, there's a lot of random commas and everything around the place so this might be pretty tricky to get cabbage to read? At the moment I have to copy the text of the CSV, paste it to openoffice, find and replace ","+ with +, then find and replace ",,"+ with +, then find and replace , with nothing and " with nothing after that, then find and replace + with \/\/+ and then it's ready to be pasted into the cabbage phone books I think :P

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

cormie wrote: »
    Just looking at the CSV file my "myphoneexplorer" outputs, there's a lot of random commas and everything around the place so this might be pretty tricky to get cabbage to read? At the moment I have to copy the text of the CSV, paste it to openoffice, find and replace ","+ with +, then find and replace ",,"+ with +, then find and replace , with nothing and " with nothing after that, then find and replace + with \/\/+ and then it's ready to be pasted into the cabbage phone books I think :P

yeah that's about right :)

except for the + after the \/\/, where did that come from?

the commas aren't actually random. you can have a lot of details for a contact so each comma represents one of the options. you'll find that the mobile number is always in the same spot, ie after the 16th comma or something. the problem i'm facing is that people might not always have stored it in the mobile number spot so it's quite awkward to consider all the possibilities. i just keep putting it off atm :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

NiSmO wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

np :)

I've just release a new version of cabbage mobile for anyone who's interested. The updates aren't really mind blowing so there's no problem if anyone wants to just keep the old one

the changes are:
    • Fixed a bug where people could start using the program without entering a login. Now a login must be created before sending a text
    • Added support for SMS Discount, VOIP Cheap and Low Rate Voip
    • Added an entry for a login name. This was necessary for SMS Discount etc support. When people upgrade from 1.2, their phone number is automatically set up as the login name. When a new login is created, if no name is entered, the phone number is used.
    • Made more meaningful error messages rather than the one "Could not connect to network site" for everything
    • Sped up the process of getting the recently used numbers from the phone's memory by putting it in a thread. It's working in the background while a text is being typed.

for most people, the only noticeable difference will be that there won't be a delay between pressing ok after typing a text and the screen with the recent numbers appearing.

i only added the other stuff because i didn't think just that small change was worth releasing a new one :)

• Advertisement

Ah-Watch wrote: »
    Sam I'm trying to change settings on a vodafone e65 also and it still says cannot connect to network site. Its vodafone prepay-don't think it makes a difference but what do you reckon could be wrong with it?

firstly, download this program and see if it works:
    http://damohere.freehostia.com/irlcg/IRLCinemaGuide.jar

it gets cinema listings. it's made by boards user damo2k.

then answer me the following questions:

can you connect to the internet with the phone's browser?

does it always fail or does it sometimes work?

are there any non-alphanumeric characters in your password? if so what ones?

can you send texts with the desktop version?

does it work through the isp access point?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,177 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    I've just release a new version of cabbage mobile for anyone who's interested. The updates aren't really mind blowing so there's no problem if anyone wants to just keep the old one

the changes are:
    • Fixed a bug where people could start using the program without entering a login. Now a login must be created before sending a text
    • Added support for SMS Discount, VOIP Cheap and Low Rate Voip
    • Added an entry for a login name. This was necessary for SMS Discount etc support. When people upgrade from 1.2, their phone number is automatically set up as the login name. When a new login is created, if no name is entered, the phone number is used.
    • Made more meaningful error messages rather than the one "Could not connect to network site" for everything
    • Sped up the process of getting the recently used numbers from the phone's memory by putting it in a thread. It's working in the background while a text is being typed.

for most people, the only noticeable difference will be that there won't be a delay between pressing ok after typing a text and the screen with the recent numbers appearing.

i only added the other stuff because i didn't think just that small change was worth releasing a new one :)
    Damn.. I thought solitaryman was gonna make post number 666 :p

jmccrohan wrote: »
    Damn.. I thought solitaryman was gonna make post number 666 :p

maybe we should delete our posts and pm him :p

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

yeah that's about right :)

except for the + after the \/\/, where did that come from?

the commas aren't actually random. you can have a lot of details for a contact so each comma represents one of the options. you'll find that the mobile number is always in the same spot, ie after the 16th comma or something. the problem i'm facing is that people might not always have stored it in the mobile number spot so it's quite awkward to consider all the possibilities. i just keep putting it off atm :)

The + being the +353 etc because there were also "," between some gaps in names so if I didn't add the + it would have got them too ;)

So that's what all the commas are for :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭Mr. Flibble

You are probably aware of this but just in case:
    Meteor changed the addresses of their sms web pages recently, breaking cabbage. It looks like they just changed the address and not much else.

• Advertisement

You are probably aware of this but just in case:
    Meteor changed the addresses of their sms web pages recently, breaking cabbage. It looks like they just changed the address and not much else.

i am indeed aware of it :)

i don't think they actually changed it, i think someone messed up somewhere because if you try to log in on the normal meteor page you're confronted with "The requested URL was not found on this server.". i doubt that was intentional

Head to
    https://www.mymeteor.ie/go/freewebtext
    after logging in.

having had a quick look, they seem to have made more changes than it first seems. this is going to be quite tricky to fix, if i even manage it

right it's working again. anyone having problems do the following:

click more->manage servers

and make sure this server is selected:
    http://cabaal.org/cabbage/send.php

then click more->other and tick:
    send messages using intermediate server

it's temporary because the code is a complete mess having been made in about an hour. when a text succeeds it's fine but it doesn't handle the variuos failure scenarios. i'll clean it up a bit when i have time

i'd forgot all about that tbh. I'll take a look at it tomorrow

Thanks. It's a great service, I use it all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Can 1.87 store sent messages? When i click to view it opens notepad but gives the error cannot find the C:\programfiles.....txt file asking do i want to create one now but doesn't work.

yes it should be able to. I haven't changed the code there in months. Click more->other and you should see a store message history option. Untick it and tick it again.

or if it's already unticked, there's your explanation

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

yes it should be able to. I haven't changed the code there in months. Click more->other and you should see a store message history option. Untick it and tick it again.

or if it's already unticked, there's your explanation

No i tried that it wasn't making any difference. I fixed it now anyways, it was not running as administrator, and because it wasn't, it wasn't allowing to create a save file in Program files. cheers anyways its all good now :)

• Advertisement

davton wrote: »
    No i tried that it wasn't making any difference. I fixed it now anyways, it was not running as administrator, and because it wasn't, it wasn't allowing to create a save file in Program files. cheers anyways its all good now :)

i hate vista :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭vinnycoyne

If you're updating the app for Vista, it's recommended that you write all config files to the Application Data folder instead of Program Files. Talk about a pain in the arse!

yeah i think i will. i never even realised this was a problem because i avoid vista if at all possible

• Registered Users Posts: 20 macaodh

Just a concern.

I use Cabbage and it has come in very handy. I'm just wondering if it's possible that the application can send an SMS to the wrong number?

My friend received a very sleazy text from my mobile number and I never sent this to him. So while the bout of paranoia is quietly subsiding, I'm stumped as to how he received a text claiming to be from me??

One of the many theories I have is that somebody using an app similar to Cabbage sent the message and my details were associated with the text???

Could this happen? Also, does Cabbage store the users personal details online somewhere? The message inquestion was very distasteful, and I'd love to know how this happened :confused:

Oddly enough I got a text from my own number on Thursday. It defiantly wasn't meant for me. The characters in the text suggest it was sent through some web app (triangles for @ and € etc, just like I what you get when using cabbage).

this was about half 3 on thursday right? that was my fault. I was making some modifications to the script and i accidentally made an infinite loop that bombarded the meteor server with a few thousand requests in seconds. I received 211 empty messages from my own number until my webtexts ran out but the script was still running for about another minute until i copped what was happening and shut it down

i also got a text from my own number in the middle of all the blank ones saying "all good baby baby ha you xxxxxxxxx" and i definitely didn't send it. I think the meteor server just went a bit crazy with all the requests and sent some texts to the wrong people. It won't happen again. From now on i'm going to do any modifications on a separate server just in case

it wasn't the main script i was editing. That's still working fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

<3 you commander :D

and about personal details, i don't store anything. The script just forwards on the details to the network site.

and of course anyone who's worried about security is free to take the server side code and host it on their own site or in cabbage you can click more->other and untick "send messages via intermediate server" and the requests go straight to the network site and don't go to my site at all

you can't do it at the moment if you're on meteor because i haven't fixed the client side code since they updated their site a few days ago. I'll hopefully have it fixed in a day or two

@kaimera, <3 you more :p

• Advertisement

Yup, 3.04pm on Thurs. No worries.

Advertisement