Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cabbage Desktop / Cabbage Mobile mega thread (Desktop/mobile texting app)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Haha, sam broke meteor :pac:

Just a lil idea, is there any way to store message history until the program is closed. I'd prefer not to store the history, but it's kind of essential if you forget if you've sent somebody a text, or if you think you may have sent it to the wrong person :o

By the way, I recommend you all try the mini/desktop version, it's so cool. I have it set to start with windows, have it over in the right under my calendar and to do list and have the taskbar icon hidden and it's just in the system tray. Very unintrusive, but always there, just need to press show desktop and you're texting away and because it's always there, your last receiver is always picked so if you're sending a few texts, it's great. Thanks a mill again Sam!

Just another question, if you have an email address stored for somebody in the CSV file and keep it, when you pick their name in cabbage, it will show as +353877654321info@cabbage.ie now I haven't tested if this works, or if you need to delete the email addy, has anyone tested this? I suppose it's the same for all other values in a csv file too:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 20 macaodh

Thanks for the feedback. I spent some time with Meteor this morning trying to figure out how the message was sent. Meteor checked my account and say that the only way the message could have been sent was via a web sms app. So I changed my account pin and added a password for CYA. Incidentally, the message ended with a load of xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx similar to the content of the message you detailed above. Anyway, more chilled about this now, but still gotta try to convince my mate that I'm not looking forward to seeing him Monday and how horny I'll be...:rolleyes:

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭The Kid

Hey Folks,

I'm glad to see that this particular issue was explained away so easily, but I still feel obliged to give you all the paranoia warning!

The message is simple - "You should NEVER implicitly trust that a message you receive was sent by the person whose number appears in the message."

The SMS protocol does NOT require the sender to be authenticated and as such you can never be guaranteed that the message was sent by the person you think it was. Likewise, as the messages are not encrypted and verified, you cannot be sure that the text wasn't modified from the time it was sent.

Applications like Cabbage and JSMS simply use your operators website to send messages. So when the Meteor guys is mentioning SMS apps, he's not referring to apps like ours. Instead he's talking about other widely available services, that send the messages themselves (using their own SMS gateway), but allow the sender to modify the sender details. For example, using such a service, I could send a message using person A(s) phone number instead of my own. When person B gets the message he/she will simply assume that person A sent it, whereas it was me all along.

Very dangerous stuff!!! But people need to be aware of it. And if you don't believe me, PM me your number and I'll send you a text from yourself. But don't even think of asking me to name any of the services that can be used like this! :-)

Applications like Cabbage and JSMS do not allow this type of behaviour/abuse as they use the operators websites and the operators (naturally enough) will not allow such things to be done. Messages sent by either of these apps will be safe unless (in order of likelihood):
    1. Somebody has got hold of your username and password.
    2. A third party server in use has been comprimised (JSMS does not use third party servers).
    3. Your operators website has been hacked/comprimised (or is buggy -- as in this case).
    4. The message is intercepted and tampered with while being sent across the mobile network.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

cormie wrote: »
    Haha, sam broke meteor :pac:

Just a lil idea, is there any way to store message history until the program is closed. I'd prefer not to store the history, but it's kind of essential if you forget if you've sent somebody a text, or if you think you may have sent it to the wrong person :o
    that's a good idea. I'll look into adding it. In the meantime you can just click "view history", then erase everything and save the file.

Just another question, if you have an email address stored for somebody in the CSV file and keep it, when you pick their name in cabbage, it will show as +353877654321info@cabbage.ie now I haven't tested if this works, or if you need to delete the email addy, has anyone tested this? I suppose it's the same for all other values in a csv file too:confused:
    i'm a bit lost here. what csv file? one from outlook? where did @cabbage.ie come from or was that just an example?

if you try to send a text to +353877654321info@cabbage.ie, it will fail. it's not designed for that at all.
    The Kid wrote: »
    The message is simple - "You should NEVER implicitly trust that a message you receive was sent by the person whose number appears in the message."

The SMS protocol does NOT require the sender to be authenticated and as such you can never be guaranteed that the message was sent by the person you think it was. Likewise, as the messages are not encrypted and verified, you cannot be sure that the text wasn't modified from the time it was sent.
    Everything The Kid said is correct. I could also send you a text from your number. there are services that allow you to send texts and the "from" number is just another parameter like the "to" number. this is completely separate to the webtext system though. it has security in place to stop this

an example of a company that uses such a device is sms discount and the rest of them. they don't allow you to change the number yourself for obvious reasons but they could if they wanted to. once you verify your number with them, you can send texts using their service that appear to come from your own number
    The Kid wrote: »
    1. A third party server in use has been comprimised (JSMS does not use third party servers).
    and while cabbage does have the option to use a third party server, it's not a requirement. clicking more->other and unticking "Send messages via intermediate server" makes the program send directly to the network site.

the reason for the server is that in a case like last week where meteor changed their site, i can just update the script to get it working again for everyone and users don't have to download a new version every time

as requested by apollodjs in another thread, here are links to the cabbage mobile source and the server side script source:

http://cabaal.org/cabbage/server_side_source.zip

http://cabaal.org/cabbage/Cabbage_Mobile_1.3_source.zip

i haven't updated the site with links yet but i will over the next few days.

• Advertisement

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    that's a good idea. I'll look into adding it. In the meantime you can just click "view history", then erase everything and save the file.

i'm a bit lost here. what csv file? one from outlook? where did @cabbage.ie come from or was that just an example?

if you try to send a text to +353877654321info@cabbage.ie, it will fail. it's not designed for that at all.

That's cool about the history thing :)

Regarding the email address, yes, if you enter an email address into your contacts on your phone, (my phone is a SE k800i) and upload phone book to myphoneexplorer, then export the contact list as a csv file, and do the find/replace stuff and then paste the text into the cabbage phonebook, then if you click the contact who you also have an email address entered for, in the number field it'll come up as +353876543210info@cabbageoranyotherdomain.com ;)

So I suppose just delete the email bit before sending and it should be fine :)

So there's 3 programs, Cabbage, AFT and JSMS:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Not forgetting Gprsms!

Not forgetting Gprsms!

indeed. JSMS is desktop only though unlike the other 3.
    That's cool about the history thing :)

Regarding the email address, yes, if you enter an email address into your contacts on your phone, (my phone is a SE k800i) and upload phone book to myphoneexplorer, then export the contact list as a csv file, and do the find/replace stuff and then paste the text into the cabbage phonebook, then if you click the contact who you also have an email address entered for, in the number field it'll come up as +353876543210info@cabbageoranyotherdomain.com ;)

So I suppose just delete the email bit before sending and it should be fine :)

ah so you imported the contacts from your phone and you had emails entered for some people. i still haven't got around to making an interface to import from a csv file so i'm afraid that for the moment you'll have to edit the contacts manually

btw, in book.txt the contacts should be in the format name\/\/number. there should be nothing after the number

Ok cool :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭apollodjs

as requested by apollodjs in another thread, here are links to the cabbage mobile source and the server side script source:

http://cabaal.org/cabbage/server_side_source.zip

http://cabaal.org/cabbage/Cabbage_Mobile_1.3_source.zip

i haven't updated the site with links yet but i will over the next few days.

Cheers for that man.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

the reason for the server is that in a case like last week where meteor changed their site, i can just update the script to get it working again for everyone and users don't have to download a new version every time

ah I like this addition, updated to new version today I must explain this new feature to others who are annoyed at updating to new versions everytime Meteor break cabbage :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

Hey Sam, just curious; I'm using the desktop version and I can't send group messages any more recently. Is this due to a change on the meteor side or perhaps something else?

Sniipe wrote: »
    Hey Sam, just curious; I'm using the desktop version and I can't send group messages any more recently. Is this due to a change on the meteor side or perhaps something else?

that's odd. it's working fine for me. do you have the cabaal server selected and do you have the program set to use the server?

is anyone else having problems sending group messages?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

Its using http://cabaal.org/cabbage/send.php as its server. It didn't work the first time but it worked the second time. But I also decrease the number of users from 10 to 5. Sooo only difference aside from the time difference is I sent it to less people...

This has been happening to me for the last 3 weeks.

Sniipe wrote: »
    Its using http://cabaal.org/cabbage/send.php as its server. It didn't work the first time but it worked the second time. But I also decrease the number of users from 10 to 5. Sooo only difference aside from the time difference is I sent it to less people...

This has been happening to me for the last 3 weeks.

right so, i think i know what the problem is here but i'm afraid there's not much i can do about it. the meteor site's been having problems the past few weeks and this is a symptom of it. the fact that it works sometimes and with smaller numbers means the code is working but the meteor site just sometimes doesn't accept the request.

i might see if introducing a delay between each message when sending a group message to see if giving the server a rest between attempts helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭regedit

any chance of creating a desktop widget for either windows Xp (yahoo widget) or Windows Vista?
    I do not know if it is doable but I thought it would be a neat application

What's a widget exactly? Sam built a desktop style layout that's brilliant.

Look at the attached file for a screenshot of my desktop using the "mini" layout. It hides the taskbar and everything, so all you have to do is press the show desktop tab in the quick launch bar and cabbage will be waiting for you on the desktop :)

Does anyone else keep getting "Error -6 program generated" errors when they try and send? I get them sometimes, but it's fine other times:confused:

regedit wrote: »
    any chance of creating a desktop widget for either windows Xp (yahoo widget) or Windows Vista?
    I do not know if it is doable but I thought it would be a neat application

as cormie says, is that what you're looking for? or how is a widget different?
    Does anyone else keep getting "Error -6 program generated" errors when they try and send? I get them sometimes, but it's fine other times:confused:

that just happens sometimes tbh. it means that the program failed to connect to the internet. there's no code for me to change for this. i call the function to connect to the internet and if it fails, it returns that error.

if it happens all the time it's usually because someone has the program blocked in their firewall but if it only happens every now and then it's just a glitch in the matrix. so just try again :)

edit: you're on o2 aren't you? that would be the most likely cause of you getting errors, ie their website is crap. i never get them on meteor

Yup, I'm with o2, but usually when their website is down, I get a -2 error I think. It worked eventually anyway :)

• Advertisement

Hey lucky you, you don't have to charge VAT :p

http://www.revenue.ie/services/tax_info/vatrate/P02016.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 41 KStolen

Hi, Cabbage won't store my message history anymore. I updated from 1.84 to the 1.85 beta to see if this would do anything but to no avail. When I replaced my history.txt with a blank history.txt it adds nothing to it. I can't remember when this started happening, so I don't know what made it do this.

Any help much appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

KStolen wrote: »
    Hi, Cabbage won't store my message history anymore. I updated from 1.84 to the 1.85 beta to see if this would do anything but to no avail. When I replaced my history.txt with a blank history.txt it adds nothing to it. I can't remember when this started happening, so I don't know what made it do this.

Any help much appreciated :)

I had same problem, it was vista related? It wont allow it to create the file to save it in. Make sure the box is ticked in the properties to run it as administrator. Working like a charm since

just thinking does it look for the folder 'Programs' then cabbage, is Xp like that? where with vista it looks for 'Program files' and then cabbage or am I gone mad?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 KStolen

Nah I'm on XP, taint that. Also it sounds like you went mad, cos what you're saying doesn't make sense to me :) Spose I could be mad of course..

EDIT: Oh I found an option to store message history, was toggled on..but I toggled it off and on again anyway, and it works now :) Musta happened from an update or something.

Hey lucky you, you don't have to charge VAT :p

http://www.revenue.ie/services/tax_info/vatrate/P02016.htm
    lol :D

@KStolen, that problem was in an older version but i thought i'd fixed it. What version are you using?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭IH77

Maybe if they use the same system but just replace the name in the URL you could add an option where you just put in the name of your betamax provider instead of having to do them all seperately? This might be too complicated to explain to users though? Just a thought.

Hi, great application which I have working on my mobile with O2.

I would second the request above if possible. I send sms to Australia (3 cents) using one of Betamax's programs www.justvoip.com. It also calls mobiles there for 5 cents a minute so would like to stick with it rather than change to another Betamax company like voipcheap which cabbage supports.

I have sucessfully used another 3rd party java client thingy found on the web to send sms through justvoip on my mobile, which allows the user to edit the program using the URL of the Betamax client you are using (eg. https://myaccount.justvoip.com/clx/sendsms.php?username=xxxxxxxxxx&password=xxxxxxxxxx&from=xxxxxxxxxx&to=xxxxxxxxxx&text=xxxxxxxxxx). For info the program can be found here http://www.vdberg.org/BetamaxSMS.html

Would be handy to send all texts through cabbage, rather than using different clients, especially as the one linked above doesn't have as nicer interface as Cabbage.:)

Thanks!

IH77 wrote: »
    Hi, great application which I have working on my mobile with O2.

I would second the request above if possible. I send sms to Australia (3 cents) using one of Betamax's programs www.justvoip.com. It also calls mobiles there for 5 cents a minute so would like to stick with it rather than change to another Betamax company like voipcheap which cabbage supports.

I have sucessfully used another 3rd party java client thingy found on the web to send sms through justvoip on my mobile, which allows the user to edit the program using the URL of the Betamax client you are using (eg. https://myaccount.justvoip.com/clx/sendsms.php?username=xxxxxxxxxx&password=xxxxxxxxxx&from=xxxxxxxxxx&to=xxxxxxxxxx&text=xxxxxxxxxx). For info the program can be found here http://www.vdberg.org/BetamaxSMS.html

Would be handy to send all texts through cabbage, rather than using different clients, especially as the one linked above doesn't have as nicer interface as Cabbage.:)

Thanks!
    i've added support for the one that stoned hippy requested, low rate voip. adding just voip won't be a problem. i just wish this company would pick a name and stick with it :rolleyes:

i've added support for the one that stoned hippy requested, low rate voip. adding just voip won't be a problem. i just wish this company would pick a name and stick with it :rolleyes:

Wow that's great (and thanks for the speedy reply!)

i don't have a justvoip login to test it so try it out here:

http://cabaal.org/cabbage/mobile2/Cabbage_Mobile_1.3.jar

i haven't updated the version number and there's no point in anyone who doesn't want just voip added because that's the only change

• Advertisement

Thanks for that so quickly,

I am getting an error message "unexpected reponse format" after I send the message? I am rechecking all the settings are correct both with my phone and justvoip.

Does that message shed any light on what the problem might be?

Edit: the program is working fine with O2 webtext

Advertisement