Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cabbage Desktop / Cabbage Mobile mega thread (Desktop/mobile texting app)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

yes it does. I've done something wrong. I'll take a look at it tomorrow.

it's possible that i was in such a rush that after editing the server side script, i forgot to upload the new one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Haha, that error -6 just saved me a lot of explaining, I wrote a text and sent it to the wrong person and I was just hoping it was gonna give an error and it did :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Just wanted to say a big big thank you to Sam Vines. Works perfectly from my phone and I reckon I will be using this every day.

Thank you - you are a legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Read the aft topic (all 122 pages) realised it was down and set this up on my Nokia 7610 works fine but when I pick send nothing happens it just goes back to showing the phone number. My gprs is working fine but it doesnt even try and connect....
    Any help?

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Read the aft topic (all 122 pages) realised it was down and set this up on my Nokia 7610 works fine but when I pick send nothing happens it just goes back to showing the phone number. My gprs is working fine but it doesnt even try and connect....
    Any help?

hmm, you're not the first person to report that. it doesn't work on my mate's SE c902 either.

Could you try downloading this program:
    http://damohere.freehostia.com/irlcg/IRLCinemaGuide.jar

it's a cinema guide program. based on whether it works or not i'll kwno more about how to solve the problem

• Advertisement

hmm that ones even weirder says Can't install. Invalid version! I'm installing though pc suite if that helps...

hmm that ones even weirder says Can't install. Invalid version! I'm installing though pc suite if that helps...

yes that is weird. download the jad file and put it in the same directory and then try again
    http://damohere.freehostia.com/irlcg/IRLCinemaGuide.jad

if it stilll gives the error, try downloading the jar file to the phone, and if it still gives the error, download the jad file

also, go into your application manager (which should be under tools), and change the settings to install all apps and not just signed ones etc.

Thanks for the speedy replies.
    Tried all that doesn't help but when I go into app manager theres no settings option.. Just allows you to move file view log etc...

Thanks for the speedy replies.
    Tried all that doesn't help but when I go into app manager theres no settings option.. Just allows you to move file view log etc...

hmm, your phone must be different to mine. in the app manager i have send, remove, view log, send log, settings, help and exit. and in settings i can change the security options

but that's unlikely to be the problem anyway since you managed to install my program and it's not signed

could you try another app for me please:
    http://cabaal.org/cabbage/mobile/Bart.jar

and get the .jad as well. it gets train and bus times

Could it have to do with it cldc1.1??
    Don't know much about java apps..

• Advertisement

Weirder and weirderer same problem....
    Guess ur app is lucky to have gotten this far :D

edit:
    I can install Aft so I don't know what the problem is with those apps...

Could it have to do with it cldc1.1??
    Don't know much about java apps..

it might well do. try this link:
    http://cabaal.org/cabbage/mobile2/Bart.jar

i had cabbage set to cldc 1.0 and bart to 1.1. the link above is the same program but with it set to 1.0

aft also had it set to 1.0 so hopefully this will fix the problem

edit: by which i mean the problem of it not installing, which will help us in finding out why it's not sending :D

does aft send? i know it won't successfully send but does it try?

Ok Bart installed now :D but when I run it I just get the white loading screen and then it exits.
    Aft, when I go to send message its asks do I want to allow it to use network to send or receive data. When I select yes it says sendng and asks me to select access point.

Btw I think this is an old version of aft, cant remember whether I downloaded it on the first page or the ones near the end...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭IH77

Sam, got the ""could not connect to site" error as well using the justvoip addon you did, but the messages came through. A bit annoying from justvoip (I understand the problem is their end), so at least it appears at the moment to be working with that error message. I will keep testing it.

Thanks for all your work on this.

Ok Bart installed now :D but when I run it I just get the white loading screen and then it exits.
    Aft, when I go to send message its asks do I want to allow it to use network to send or receive data. When I select yes it says sendng and asks me to select access point.

Btw I think this is an old version of aft, cant remember whether I downloaded it on the first page or the ones near the end...

download this program:
    http://cabaal.org/cabbage/mobile2/Cabbage_Mobile_1.3.jar

i've changed the way it connects to the internet slightly so hopefully this method will work

Uninstalled other version.
    Installed new one.
    And.......nope. Same as. Sorry man. Was starting to enjoy the idea of my own personalised cabbage ;)

edit:
    Tried newer aft and it works too hmmm.

hmmmm indeed. I'll take another look tomorrow

Have been getting that error-6 one again for the past while, went to o2.ie, sent myself a text and it got to me first go no problem :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

cormie wrote: »
    Have been getting that error-6 one again for the past while, went to o2.ie, sent myself a text and it got to me first go no problem :confused:

il second that

• Advertisement

i've got a bottle of miller in my hand right now but i'll see what i can do about it tomorrow

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,177 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    i've got a bottle of miller in my hand right now but i'll see what i can do about it tomorrow

Thats no excuse. Programmers code better with a beer ;)

there's a new version out. the changes are:
    • Changed the way messages are sent slightly because the user's information was being stored in the temporary internet files folder. basically it does a post instead of a get
    • Put a "Signature" button on the "other" form because it was accidentally removed in a previous version
    • Moved the cabbage related files (phone book etc) to the application data folder. Previously, Vista users were forced to run the program in administrator
    • Added an option to store the message history only until the program is shut down
    • Fixed the client side code for sending meteor texts
    • Introduced a new error message "Network site is down. Try again later". if a network site goes down, i'll manually edit the script to give that error so people know what's wrong rather than just getting "cannot connect to site". a user will only get this error if they have the program set to use the server.

cormie and davton, i'm trying to investigate the problem you're having so i've made a slightly different one for you. you can get it here:
    http://cabaal.org/cabbage/Cabbage_Setup_1.88_2.exe

it's the same as the normal one except for one line. normally you just get a -6 error but now a message box will pop up giving you details of the error, the number and description. the next time it happens, take down the info and post it here

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Just tried the previous one to send a text, and got the error 6 again, then installed the new update, and sent the same text number etc and worked fine first time. if i get errors i will let know know, cheers

Vodafone, O2 and meteor all now offer free texts to any network.

they're making cabbage mobile more and more redundant :D

except for people who don't opt for the offer of course. i've no intention of switching to it

Yeah but free texts still require phone texting which I've grown to see as a chore now. I actually wait till I come home a lot of the time to reply to people because it's so much easier to just type then text on the phone :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭madmoe

I agree mate!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,177 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

cormie wrote: »
    Yeah but free texts still require phone texting which I've grown to see as a chore now. I actually wait till I come home a lot of the time to reply to people because it's so much easier to just type then text on the phone :P
    I find pc suite the handiest.

what's pc suite? :)

• Advertisement

Nokia PC Suite (nokia) or MyPhoneExplorer (sony ericsson)

Advertisement