Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cabbage Desktop / Cabbage Mobile mega thread (Desktop/mobile texting app)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I have myphoneexplorer alright, but you need to hook up your phone to text off that :(

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,177 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Bluetooth? :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, my laptop doesn't have bluetooth though. Now if cabbage could just read the phone books that MyPhoneExplorer exports it'd be great ;):D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,177 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

cormie wrote: »
    Oh yeah, my laptop doesn't have bluetooth though. Now if cabbage could just read the phone books that MyPhoneExplorer exports it'd be great ;):D
    Open the file in notepad. I havent tried it, but you would be surprised the amount of programs that use csv.

Ok, just got the first error-6 since updating and this is what popped up:
    "Error number:-2146697208. The download of the specified resource has failed"

It sent on my second attempt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭vodkasoda

Sam ... something odd has happened !!!

When I open Cabbage (I'm running Vista, BTW), it looks as I'd expect, but when I click on the Phonebook tab, it's empty (it previously had a dozen or so numbers in it).

Yet when I click on the Account tab, it has a long list of names that looks suspiciously like my address book used to look !!!!!

When I close the application, I get a pop-up window saying :

Run-Time error '9'; Subscript out of range.

I suspect something has been corrupted, rather than this be a program problem, so I re-installed, but that doesn't clear out the numbers & accounts ... therefore it doesn't fix the problem !!!

I suspect if I delete the folder & it's contents completely during a re-install, then it'll be OK, but that means re-entering all my contacts ... which I'm probably going to have to do anyway so I'll go ahead and do that, there's not many of them, but I thought I'd let you know, just in case it's something you should be concerned about !!!

Yep, uninstalled it, deleted folders in Program Files & Roaming & re-installed & all's working well !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

vodkasoda wrote: »
    Yep, uninstalled it, deleted folders in Program Files & Roaming & re-installed & all's working well !!!

i'm not sure what you mean by roaming...

if you had to delete your contacts etc, there should be a backup of all the program's files in two places:
    c:\program files\cabbage\cabbage backup
    i think that's the location anyway. Look around for a folder called cabbage backup

the other location is:
    c:\documents and settings\<username>\application data\cabbage backup

so copy the files from either of those folders into:
    c:\documents and settings\<username>\application data\cabbage

and all should be back to normal.

btw, that's the new location for all the program files so just deleting c:\program files\cabbage isn't enough to reset the program anymore. I changed it so (hopefully) vista users won't have to run it in administrator mode anymore

Ok, just got the first error-6 since updating and this is what popped up:
    "Error number:-2146697208. The download of the specified resource has failed"

It sent on my second attempt.
    that's what i was afraid of. What's happened there is the program has called the function to access the internet and it's failed. Basically there's no code for me to fix. Are you using it behind a proxy or do you have problems with your firewall at all?

when you get the -6 error, do the messages ever send anyway or do you always have to try again? I'm thinking i might put in code to retry a few times it gets that error but that's no good if the messages sometimes send anyway because it'll end up spamming whoever you're texting.

or i could put logic on the server side to not send a message if you're sending the same one to the same person within a few seconds. but i'd prefer not to have to do that because in order to prevent you sending the same text i'd have to store the text on the server

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    %appdata%

• Advertisement

jmccrohan wrote: »
    %appdata%

ah i see. Then that explains why it fixed the problem. Has anyone else experienced this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭laoisfan

hi sam, getting "Unexpected response format" when using cabbage 1.3 on my SE W810i (Meteor, billpay). any ideas? using "isp apn" btw. it was working fine yesterday but today....

thanks - laoisfan

laoisfan wrote: »
    hi sam, getting "Unexpected response format" when using cabbage 1.3 on my SE W810i (Meteor, billpay). any ideas? using "isp apn" btw. it was working fine yesterday but today....

thanks - laoisfan

btw i deleted & re-installed but same error.

i'm getting it too. There's something wrong with the server i think. I'll take a look tomorrow

that's what i was afraid of. What's happened there is the program has called the function to access the internet and it's failed. Basically there's no code for me to fix. Are you using it behind a proxy or do you have problems with your firewall at all?

when you get the -6 error, do the messages ever send anyway or do you always have to try again? I'm thinking i might put in code to retry a few times it gets that error but that's no good if the messages sometimes send anyway because it'll end up spamming whoever you're texting.

or i could put logic on the server side to not send a message if you're sending the same one to the same person within a few seconds. but i'd prefer not to have to do that because in order to prevent you sending the same text i'd have to store the text on the server

Don't think I'm behind a proxy and I just use the windows firewall that came with service pack 2 so I'm not sure about that either?

I'm not sure if the messages send anyway, I don't think so but next time it happens I'll try find out :)

I'm getting an "Error-5 Restarting the" at the moment, that's all it says, doesn't say what it's restarting:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I'm getting an "Error-5 Restarting the" at the moment, that's all it says, doesn't say what it's restarting:confused:

Yes me also...

In Vista, the data files are stored in Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Cabbage ... this can be witnessed by clicking on the More button & then choosing Manage Phone Book & Import Contacts ...

Cheers anyway Sam, love the program ...

if you had to delete your contacts etc, there should be a backup of all the program's files in two places:
    c:\program files\cabbage\cabbage backup
    i think that's the location anyway. Look around for a folder called cabbage backup

the other location is:
    c:\documents and settings\<username>\application data\cabbage backup

so copy the files from either of those folders into:
    c:\documents and settings\<username>\application data\cabbage

and all should be back to normal.

btw, that's the new location for all the program files so just deleting c:\program files\cabbage isn't enough to reset the program anymore. I changed it so (hopefully) vista users won't have to run it in administrator mode anymore

vodkasoda wrote: »
    In Vista, the data files are stored in Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Cabbage ... this can be witnessed by clicking on the More button & then choosing Manage Phone Book & Import Contacts ...

Cheers anyway Sam, love the program ...

ah now it all makes sense
    Don't think I'm behind a proxy and I just use the windows firewall that came with service pack 2 so I'm not sure about that either?

I'm not sure if the messages send anyway, I don't think so but next time it happens I'll try find out :)

right so let me know the next few times if the message is received or not and i'll know how to proceed.

there's currently a problem with the site. some misconfiguration on the server. i moved the meteor and vodafone scripts to a different server but the o2 script won't work on this server because of some proxy issue. hopefully i'll get o2 back up and running shortly

in the meantime, desktop users should click more->other and untick "send messages using intermediate server"

mobile users will just have to wait i'm afraid

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Anyone else having problems with Cabbage? It stopped working at work and at home for me.

Just logged into o2.ie manually there and everything seems fine. No change of login or password.

Cabbage says: Error: (-2) Could not connect to network site

quad_red wrote: »
    Anyone else having problems with Cabbage? It stopped working at work and at home for me.

Just logged into o2.ie manually there and everything seems fine. No change of login or password.

Cabbage says: Error: (-2) Could not connect to network site

could be cabbage server issues, sam vines is working on it. i was getting "Unexpected response format" errors (on Meteor).

• Advertisement

could be cabbage server issues, sam vines is working on it. i was getting "Unexpected response format" errors (on Meteor).

that should be working now but o2 probably won't be for the rest of the day

mobile users will just have to wait i'm afraid

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! :D

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! :D

btw i was just able to successfully send a text msg to myself using mobile cabbage on meteor.

thanks sam!

o2 should be working again

anyone who sent a scheuled message since the last update of the desktop program on the 21st will find that it didn't send. a change i made stopped the script working and it was only when the whole lot went down the other day that i noticed. any scheduled messages since then are gone i'm afraid

since no one reported a problem it's most likely no one sent one anyway :)

o2 changed their site today and stopped my script working. i've updated the scripts now so anyone who's using them can get the new ones here:

http://cabaal.org/cabbage/server_side_scripts.zip

Are the scripts updated in the latest exe file or do we have to do something with the zip? :)

Are the scripts updated in the latest exe file or do we have to do something with the zip? :)
    I presume they are for people running their own server.

jmccrohan wrote: »
    I presume they are for people running their own server.

they are.

don't worry cormie, as long as you have the program set to use the server all will be well. :)

and anyone who doesn't, do so until i get around to fixing the client side code (more->other->tick send messages using intermediate server)

• Advertisement

Ah right, I tried to send a text from cabbage earlier and it gave an error-2 could not connect message, then I went to o2.ie to send the text and noticed it was new so thought this was the reason, then when I saw Sams post, I thought something had to be updated, but then when I saw yours I tried to just resend the text to myself without updating anything and it worked :)

Advertisement