Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cabbage Desktop / Cabbage Mobile mega thread (Desktop/mobile texting app)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Old Jim

Sam,
    Use both the desktop and mobile version and love them. Thanks v. much.
    You might have created a new verb: someone said to me the other day "I'll cabbage ya"!

One small bug, not sure if it was reported before or not. On cabbage mobile, when I go to lookup to get a number from my phone's phonebook, it removed the digits "353" from the middle of the phone number and replaced it with a "0". Must have thought it was the country code it was removing.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

ah crap that shouldn't be happening. I thought i'd made it so it only removed the 353 if it was at the start. While i'm releasing a new one does anyone have any other suggestions?

either post or cabbage your responses :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

cough*csv importer*cough :pac:

cormie wrote: »
    cough*csv importer*cough :pac:

alright alright i'm looking at it :D
    Old Jim wrote: »
    One small bug, not sure if it was reported before or not. On cabbage mobile, when I go to lookup to get a number from my phone's phonebook, it removed the digits "353" from the middle of the phone number and replaced it with a "0". Must have thought it was the country code it was removing.

do me a favour would you? open the program, then press more->accounts->more->edit

at the top of that screen you should see a version number. post it here please.

i had a look at the code and i can't find anything that would have changed the 353. and when i tried to reproduce the error myself it didn't happen :confused:

at what point does it happen? is it when you click into the destination text box, click "look up" and select a number?

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Old Jim

I have version 1.1
    It happens when I go into the destination textbox, click lookup and get the number from the phone's main phonebook.
    The number was stored in the main phonebook in the format "+35387xx353xx"
    Maybe it looked for the 353 at the start, which it found, and then replaced all the 353's with the 0.

• Advertisement

Old Jim wrote: »
    I have version 1.1
    It happens when I go into the destination textbox, click lookup and get the number from the phone's main phonebook.
    The number was stored in the main phonebook in the format "+35387xx353xx"
    Maybe it looked for the 353 at the start, which it found, and then replaced all the 353's with the 0.

http://cabaal.org/cabbage/mobile/Cabbage_Mobile_1.3.jar ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

Anyone else this not working for? Or is it vista screwing with me again? worked all day in work on xp. the error alternates between error 6- program generated error and error 5 - restarting may fix the problem.

but basically my messages aint sending...so having to use my phone!:eek:

the server's working fine. -6 and -5 errors are generally caused by problems with your computer. Any chance you accidentally blocked it in your firewall?

click more->other and untick "send messages using intermediate server" and see if that works. Unless you're on o2 because doing that won't work since they changed their site the other day. What network are you on?

Im on o2...damn it. it was working before they changed their site, this was the first time i was using it at home since they updated their site. il investigate it bit more when i get home later today. but was working earlier in week and i havent changed any settings...thanks for the program though!:D

Ya still works here in work so has to be something on my computer!

i'd say the problem is most likely that you don't have it set to use the server. Check that first

• Advertisement

Will do when i get home, cheers sam.

actually now i think of it, it might not be the problem. sure try it first anyway and then check your firewall

Don't know why it wasnt working yesterday, it worked fine today when i turned on computer!:confused:

THanks though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

I think I may have found a slight glitch. I have been using this for quite a while on my laptop and never had a problem as I am the only one who uses it but today I set it up in my parents house and added two accounts, one for my mam and one for my brother. I selected to use individual phone books and added some numbers to both of them, which was fine. If I change account in the program though it doesnt seem to swap phone books. Not a huge issue, I have told them to share one phonebook for the moment.

Also one other thing. When I set up the first account for my mam, I added my brothers name and number to her phone book. When I then tried to use my brothers name and number to set up his account there was an error. Again not a big problem, just to let you know.

Using latest 1.88 version on XP by the way.

Thanks again for the program, is cool :):):)

thanks for reporting it. Those individual phone books have been a nightmare to keep working through the versions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Hi, great app, any plans on adding any other services on the mobile version like the 959 numbers that aft or anything?

Not sure if this is the same error as last time, but here it is anyway:

pop up says:

Error number: -2146697208
    The download of the specified resource has failed

then when I click ok, it says Error -6, program generated on the cabbage window.

I was getting an error yesterday too, but didn't have time to write it down, I tried 2 times and got the error and a third and it was ok, but the recipient actually got the text 3 times..:confused:

Hi, great app, any plans on adding any other services on the mobile version like the 959 numbers that aft or anything?
    i was just talking to the guy who made multitext ages ago to find out what that 959 service is. He said that after he wrote the code to implement it, a few people used it for a few weeks and then they all dropped off so i don't think i will tbh. If you have any other suggestions post them up though

pop up says:

then when I click ok, it says Error -6, program generated on the cabbage window.

I was getting an error yesterday too, but didn't have time to write it down, I tried 2 times and got the error and a third and it was ok, but the recipient actually got the text 3 times..:confused:

i've almost finished code to get around the problem. What i'm going to do to begin with is have a prompt asking you to retry if it failed and after a few weeks i'll take the prompt out if your friends don't keep telling you they're getting duplicate messages

i'll also be giving you a different server url to use that'll prevent duplicate messages being sent. If the script didn't execute properly the first time, it shouldn't prevent you from sending it on the retry but if the message sent but didn't report it as such, it'll just return the number of messages left and not send the message. That'll hopefully fix the problem but i can't say for definite until you try it out for a while

i've also fixed the reported bug with the individual phone books and i'll be uploading the update at some stage tomorrow

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,177 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    i was just talking to the guy who made multitext ages ago to find out what that 959 service is. He said that after he wrote the code to implement it, a few people used it for a few weeks and then they all dropped off so i don't think i will tbh. If you have any other suggestions post them up though
    Who ever could that be? :P

he's just a figment of our imaginations, a legend if you will

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,177 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Was it a formal conversation about multitext or just when you were down in the pub at the weekend? :P

Cool sam, thanks :)

pop up says:

i just had an idea that would pretty much guarantee no duplicates and total reliability but would make it take longer to send a text. tell me what you think of it:

when you click send, the program checks how many messages you have left, then attempts to send the message. if the error occurs, it checks how many messages you have left again and if you still have the same amount it means the text didn't send and it'll send it again.

it'll take a bit longer to send each message because of checking first but will make it much more reliable. so what do you think?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    i just had an idea that would pretty much guarantee no duplicates and total reliability but would make it take longer to send a text. tell me what you think of it:

when you click send, the program checks how many messages you have left, then attempts to send the message. if the error occurs, it checks how many messages you have left again and if you still have the same amount it means the text didn't send and it'll send it again.

it'll take a bit longer to send each message because of checking first but will make it much more reliable. so what do you think?

If its not alot of work why not release a Beta of the app with this change and people could test it out and give feedback on if the delay is something they'd be ok with? :)

Cabaal wrote: »
    If its not alot of work why not release a Beta of the app with this change and people could test it out and give feedback on if the delay is something they'd be ok with? :)

i've already started programming it :)

Does it happen anyone else that when cabbage is sending a text, the desktop freezes for a few seconds (longer when it's running into an error sending). It happens me anyway (XP) but maybe because I'm running it in desktop mini mode?

This could be a problem if it's going to take much longer to send, but if it's only a case of taking an extra 2 seconds to send a text and if it can be set so it doesn't freeze the desktop, then I wouldn't have any problem with the extra wait :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭chalad07

Hey Sam,

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but is there a mac version of this app?

Charlie

chalad07 wrote: »
    Hey Sam,

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but is there a mac version of this app?

Charlie

there's a similar program made by another boards user called JSMS:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/jsmsirl/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Just wondering are the passwords, or the texts saved anywhere other than on the desktop?

• Advertisement

BostonB wrote: »
    Just wondering are the passwords, or the texts saved anywhere other than on the desktop?
    Yes. It is a front for vimes trojan.. suuuush ;)

Advertisement