Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cabbage Desktop / Cabbage Mobile mega thread (Desktop/mobile texting app)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

BostonB wrote: »
    Just wondering are the passwords, or the texts saved anywhere other than on the desktop?

they're not stored on the desktop, they're stored in "c:\documents and settings\<username>\Application data\Cabbage"

and whenever you install a new one, a folder called cabbage backup is created in application data.

also, the passwords are encrypted in the logins file

jmccrohan wrote: »
    Yes. It is a front for vimes trojan.. suuuush ;)

damn you i am foiled!! and i would've gotten away with it if it wasn't for you meddling boardsies

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,177 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    they're not stored on the desktop, they're stored in "c:\documents and settings\<username>\Application data\Cabbage"
    It is in a different place if you are using vista. c:\users\<username>\application data\roaming\cabbage
    iirc

or a shortcut to the folder on all versions of windows is to enter "%appdata%" less the quotes in to run "windows key + r".

It is in a different place if you are using vista. c:\users\<username>\application data\roaming\cabbage
    iirc

the less said about vista the better :P

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,177 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

the less said about vista the better :P
    Gerrupoutta that. Nothing wrong with vista (if you set it up correctly) :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Yes. It is a front for vimes trojan.. suuuush ;)

I'm going to report you to Sybil for that.

If you don't ask you don't find out.

Who is sybil? :confused:

Gerrupoutta that. Nothing wrong with vista (if you set it up correctly) :cool:

i'm sure it's alright once you turn off all the new features that were introduced in vista to try to protect idiots from themseleves etc but i'd rather not make the effort until i absolutely have to

noooooooooo she'll set the dragons on me (cue many confused looks from those who don't know who sybil is)

edit:for example^^^^^^^^^ :D

*googles*

Ah.. i see you are married to a big dragon. :)

*googles*

Ah.. i see you are married to a big dragon. :)

don't be stoopid. she's not a dragon, she just breeds them. duuuuh!!

• Advertisement

Your girlfriend is a monster :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Anything with the Watch or Death are my favorites TP books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

i was just talking to the guy who made multitext ages ago to find out what that 959 service is. He said that after he wrote the code to implement it, a few people used it for a few weeks and then they all dropped off so i don't think i will tbh. If you have any other suggestions post them up though

i guess it probably wasn't that popular, just of the top of my head, how about lotto/euromillions results where u txt a number for the results, or probably a bigger project to able to search the goldenpages.ie eg. text :taxi, santry although that may be more hassle than its worth. but the lotto would be a nice extra feature.

i guess it probably wasn't that popular, just of the top of my head, how about lotto/euromillions results where u txt a number for the results, or probably a bigger project to able to search the goldenpages.ie eg. text :taxi, santry although that may be more hassle than its worth. but the lotto would be a nice extra feature.

you mean like this ;)

http://cabaal.org/cabbage/lotto.php

made that before i knew anything about j2me so there's no client associated with it.the thing about texting a number is i'd have to set up one of those short code services which are very expensive. i'm just sticking with j2me apps

i was looking into a goldenpages app but never got around to it. might look at it again

Anything with the Watch or Death are my favorites TP books.

mine too :) my favourite of the lot is night watch. because i'm the main character of course :D

you mean like this ;)

made that before i knew anything about j2me so there's no client associated with it.the thing abtou texting a number is i'd have to set up one of those short code services which are very expensive. i'm just sticking with j2me apps
    Who plays the lotto these days :P

Any other sitescrapers in your collection? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

you mean like this ;)

made that before i knew anything about j2me so there's no client associated with it.the thing about texting a number is i'd have to set up one of those short code services which are very expensive. i'm just sticking with j2me apps

i was looking into a goldenpages app but never got around to it. might look at it again

Ah exactly, hiding that one away were ya! i'll bookmark that one! i guess u could add it as an option in the cabbage mobile menu, although i'd say bookmarking that page would be as handy for anyone who wants to use it.

Who plays the lotto these days :P

Any other sitescrapers in your collection? :pac:

not that i can think of at the moment but i'll have a look

right i've finished the modification (i think :D)

you can get the new version here:
    http://cabaal.org/cabbage/Cabbage_Setup_1.89_beta.exe

i'm not going to update the website for this one, just anyone who wants it get it from here. what i've done is, when you send a text it:
    1. checks how many messages you have left
    2. if checking fails, it tries 5 more times unless the reason for failure was a wrong password
    3. tries to send
    4. if sending fails, it checks again how many messages you have left (up to 5 times)
    5. if the messages left are still the same, it tries to send again.
    6. 4 and 5 are repeated up to 5 times

if the message succeeds, it'll only check the messages left once so it won't be too much longer but if the website is down or something it'll take a lot longer to report failure because of all the retries.

i'd recommend that you only use the cabaal server for this because i don't know if other people have the script that's designed to check messages without sending

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

Hi Sam, thanks for the continuous updates on this great little app. It's much appreciated.

There's a small bug (oversight?) that still persists with the latest release. When I change the interface to 'medium size', I can no longer use the 'alt-s' shortcut instead of clicking on the 'send' button. The shortcut works fine in both the 'small' and 'large' sized interface.

Any chance you could fix this issue in a future release?

• Advertisement

Tzetze wrote: »
    Hi Sam, thanks for the continuous updates on this great little app. It's much appreciated.

There's a small bug (oversight?) that still persists with the latest release. When I change the interface to 'medium size', I can no longer use the 'alt-s' shortcut instead of clicking on the 'send' button. The shortcut works fine in both the 'small' and 'large' sized interface.

Any chance you could fix this issue in a future release?

yes it is both a bug and an oversight :)

on the small and large interfaces, the add signature check box says "Add signature and "Add sig" respectively but on the medium one it says "Sig" so ALT+S just alternates between it and send. i'll fix it asap

it's fixed on the version at the link above. when i said asap i meant it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

Wow, that was quick. Thanks Sam. You've added minutes to the expected lifespan of my mouse. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Sam does the update button in the program work, or have to download the new one? It said i had the latest one already when i checked it?

the update button doesn't work. I'm not sure if most people will want the new change because it makes it take longer to send a text so i'm just putting the link here and anyone who wants it can take it

btw, another reliability feature i put in is that if you're sending a text over 160 characters and part of it sends and part of it fails, the program will tell you the last block of characters it sent successfully

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭ronano

off topic question

why does your last post have no sig yet the previous ones do?

also, someone ages ago reported that group texts weren't sending properly in that the first one would send and then the rest would fail. I put a delay between sending the texts so can anyone tell me if they're still not working

ronano wrote: »
    why does your last post have no sig yet the previous ones do?
    Desktop replies post your sig. Replies using m.boards.ie have no sig.

Desktop replies post your sig. Replies using m.boards.ie have no sig.
    exactamundo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Just installed the latest beta, I sent a message less than 160 chars and it said "first of two messages sent. 1" and the text was still in the text field on cabbage after it supposidly sent? not sure if it sent or not..

It also still stalls my desktop, so I can't open any folders or anything on the desktop when it's sending. Not sure if that's just in mini mode?

Advertisement