Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cabbage Desktop / Cabbage Mobile mega thread (Desktop/mobile texting app)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Sam Vimes wrote: »

Book marked this on my iphone now, very little data to load this on my Meteor PAYG connection so suits perfectly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

cormie wrote: »
    Just installed the latest beta, I sent a message less than 160 chars and it said "first of two messages sent. 1" and the text was still in the text field on cabbage after it supposidly sent? not sure if it sent or not..
    that means it didn't send and that it failed at the point of checking your messages before sending. sorry about that. i reused an error code from an old version that's not used anymore and i forgot to change the text of the error. i've uploaded a new one now with the correct message

cormie wrote: »
    It also still stalls my desktop, so I can't open any folders or anything on the desktop when it's sending. Not sure if that's just in mini mode?
    that is because it's in mini mode. cabbage essentially becomes a part of the desktop when it's in mini mode so when it freezes the desktop freezes. i'll look into a way to stop the program freezing but it'll take a few days. it's definitely possible though.

Cabaal wrote: »
    Book marked this on my iphone now, very little data to load this on my Meteor PAYG connection so suits perfectly :)

don't go stealing all my bandwidth now ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Ok cool stuff :) will let you know how the desktop reacts once its out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭regedit

Hi,
    Tried to install cabbage under Vista but it is not working.
    Something about the file being corrupt.
    Could you please have a look and explain if there is a way of installing the application.
    Regards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

just to let you guys know especially those are using mamak.eu for their O2 text on Cabbage.

it is currently not working and i haven't really had the chance to get it worked. sorry for the inconvenience.

regedit wrote: »
    Hi,
    Could you please have a look and explain if there is a way of installing the application.
    Regards
    i won't get a chance to look at it tomorrow but no one else has said that so it might just not have downloaded properly.....?

mart_max wrote: »
    just to let you guys know especially those are using mamak.eu for their O2 text on Cabbage.

it is currently not working and i haven't really had the chance to get it worked. sorry for the inconvenience.

there's a working script at http://cabaal.org/cabbage/server_side_scripts.zip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Hi,
    Regards

Worked ok for me on Vista.

Hi,
    Regards

Worked for me on Vista no problem. Try downloading it again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭robo

Works great for me on vista - great little app :cool:

mart_max wrote: »

What difference does it make which server you pick? Why would you use mamak.eu for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Just installed this on my N95 and it works great :)

Nice one for all your work, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭robo

Stupid question, but will this work on an Ipod touch?

BostonB wrote: »
    What difference does it make which server you pick? Why would you use mamak.eu for example.
    there are a few reasons for all the different servers. Backups in case one goes down, some people like to use their own server so they're not sending their details to my (cabaal's) server and the networks can't just block the program by blocking one ip :)
    robo wrote: »
    Stupid question, but will this work on an Ipod touch?
    no it won't. There's an alternative that's designed for the iphone called eirtext which might work on an ipod touch. You can get it here:
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055296339
    it used to be called freeteor. It becomes eirtext at some point in the thread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Peter B

Excellent program!!!! Both on desktop and mobile. Didn't read through whole thread but is there an easy to import contacts from either PC suite or O2 online?

Peter B wrote: »
    Excellent program!!!! Both on desktop and mobile. Didn't read through whole thread but is there an easy to import contacts from either PC suite or O2 online?

not at the moment i'm afraid. if you can get your contacts into a file in the format name,number you can import them easily

not at the moment i'm afraid. if you can get your contacts into a file in the format name,number you can import them easily

Thanks for the quick response. Yea managed to export from PC suite to Excel .csv and then deleted and merged different columns to get it into name, number. Then I saved the file as a csv dos format and tried to import it. When importing the file it recognised that some contacts had already been entered (manually) and asked did I want to overwrite. It didn't however add any new contacts when finished, all that were there were the original manually entered ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Another poster who wants a csv importer :pac:

I just open the CSV in notepad and find/replace loads of different crap and then copy and paste the results with \/\/ separating the values and paste that into the existing cabbage .txt files. Confusing enough :o

Thanks for the quick response. Yea managed to export from PC suite to Excel .csv and then deleted and merged different columns to get it into name, number. Then I saved the file as a csv dos format and tried to import it. When importing the file it recognised that some contacts had already been entered (manually) and asked did I want to overwrite. It didn't however add any new contacts when finished, all that were there were the original manually entered ones.

Apologies, while there were no new contacts there after importing, they were there after I closed and reopened Cabbage Desktop. The original list had just not refreshed after me importing.

Thank you, excellent program!!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

To export from the O2 website.

Using FIREFOX Logon, click on the "Send webtext now" under the contact list click on "Edit my Phonebook" once you have the list of contacts right click on a blank spaces next to any of the names or number, on the right click you will see "This Frame" and "Show only this frame" (screenshot below). After you will see a page with your contacts, select all of them "Edit" "Copy" after go to excel and do "Edit" "Paste Special" and select "Text", the numbers might not show correctly on the 2nd column, in that case to fix it right click on the B (top of the column) and go to "Format Cells" (as second screenshot) select "number" on the left under "Category" on the right under "Decimal places" put to "0" and press ok.

After you can save as needed.

Sam Vimes I just moved from Vodafone to O2 can you let me know if for O2 using cabbage we can send them to international number using the webtext allowance. If we can what format should they be in the phonebook "+44" "0044" or "44" like in the O2 website.

Thanks

nava wrote: »
    To export from the O2 website.

Using FIREFOX Logon, click on the "Send webtext now" under the contact list click on "Edit my Phonebook" once you have the list of contacts right click on a blank spaces next to any of the names or number, on the right click you will see "This Frame" and "Show only this frame" (screenshot below). After you will see a page with your contacts, select all of them "Edit" "Copy" after go to excel and do "Edit" "Paste Special" and select "Text", the numbers might not show correctly on the 2nd column, in that case to fix it right click on the B (top of the column) and go to "Format Cells" (as second screenshot) select "number" on the left under "Category" on the right under "Decimal places" put to "0" and press ok.

After you can save as needed.
    wow that's complicated. i'm working on a csv importer but it's taking a while because more serious issues keep popping up

nava wrote: »
    Sam Vimes I just moved from Vodafone to O2 can you let me know if for O2 using cabbage we can send them to international number using the webtext allowance. If we can what format should they be in the phonebook "+44" "0044" or "44" like in the O2 website.

Thanks
    they're all fine. the script can handle numbers in any of those formats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 cavanman.

I haven't used anything like this before and I'm not familiar with phone browsing etc. I've tried to connect to the web address as per the cabbage website. But it just says website not found. Where it says "point your browser" to the address (as listed on the cabbage website), I assume it means try to connect to the webpage.

I'm obviously doing something wrong, could somebody give a technophobe some help please please..

cavanman. wrote: »
    I haven't used anything like this before and I'm not familiar with phone browsing etc. I've tried to connect to the web address as per the cabbage website. But it just says website not found. Where it says "point your browser" to the address (as listed on the cabbage website), I assume it means try to connect to the webpage.

I'm obviously doing something wrong, could somebody give a technophobe some help please please..

"point your browser to" does just mean connect to the web page

first of all try to go to www.google.com and see if that loads to make sure your phone's internet is working

then, the addess you need to go to is:
    http://cabaal.org/cabbage/mobile/Cabbage_Mobile_1.3.jar

common mistakes are:
    1. don't put www. in the address, in fact don't even put in http://, just type:
    cabaal.org/cabbage/mobile/Cabbage_Mobile_1.3.jar

2. it's case sensitive, so Cabbage_Mobile_1.3.jar will work, but cabbage_mobile_1.3.jar won't. (note the small c in cabbage and small m in mobile)

3. they're underscores (_) and not dashes (-)

4. don't forget the /mobile/

let me know if you're still having problems

"point your browser to" does just mean connect to the web page

first of all try to go to www.google.com and see if that loads to make sure your phone's internet is working

then, the addess you need to go to is:
    http://cabaal.org/cabbage/mobile/Cabbage_Mobile_1.3.jar

common mistakes are:
    1. don't put www. in the address, in fact don't even put in http://, just type:
    cabaal.org/cabbage/mobile/Cabbage_Mobile_1.3.jar

2. it's case sensitive, so Cabbage_Mobile_1.3.jar will work, but cabbage_mobile_1.3.jar won't. (note the small c in cabbage and small m in mobile)

3. they're underscores (_) and not dashes (-)

4. don't forget the /mobile/

let me know if you're still having problems
    Thanks very much Sam. Had left out underscores.....

I've downloaded the program successfully. But I cant get it to work for me.

I'm getting "could not connect to the server"

(I'm with meteor, when I downloaded the program I saved my username and phone number to be my phone number, and my password to be the same pin that I use to log onto meteor website)

Thank you for your help.

cavanman. wrote: »
    Thanks very much Sam. Had left out underscores.....

I've downloaded the program successfully. But I cant get it to work for me.

I'm getting "could not connect to the server"

(I'm with meteor, when I downloaded the program I saved my username and phone number to be my phone number, and my password to be the same pin that I use to log onto meteor website)

Thank you for your help.

what type of phone do you have?

nokia 6300

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,177 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

data.mymeteor.ie has made sam's life much easier :pac:

jmccrohan wrote: »
    data.mymeteor.ie has made sam's life much easier :pac:

it has indeed :)

you need to enter the following settings into the phone. this problem is so common that you're the second person i've fixed this for today (the other guy emailed me). damn you nokia and your crappy bugs!!!!

but anyway:

settings->configuration->personal configuration settings->add->web

account name: meteor data
    homepage: http://wap.mymeteor.ie
    username:my
    password:meteor
    use preferred access point:yes

settings->configuration->personal configuration settings->add->access point

account name: meteor data apn
    go into access point settings
    data bearer:gprs (or packet data)
    go into bearer settings
    GPRS access point:data.mymeteor.ie
    authentication type:normal
    username:my
    password:meteor

settings->configuration->personal configuration settings

highlight meteor data and press options->activate
    then do the same for meteor data apn

settings->configuration->default configuration settings
    highlight meteor data and press options->set as default

settings->configuration->activate default in all applications->yes

• Advertisement

Thank you very much Sam. That works! You're a gentleman..

Advertisement