Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cabbage Desktop / Cabbage Mobile mega thread (Desktop/mobile texting app)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

probably a stupid question but that was using the data apn, has anyone tries the isp apn, probably the same but maybe they haven't increased the price on that.

i'm afraid i can't check that at the moment because i'm on the 3g trial so all my internet access is free but i'm sure it'll become evident soon
    Raiser wrote: »
    - Just posting to add my thanks and compliments to Sam Vimes on his marvellous Cabbage - cooked to perfection and full of iron :p

Your welcome :) i've heard it'll make your hair curly :pac:

i've just finished a new version that's only for the brave among you :D

i've completely changed the way messages are sending in the background so that the program doesn't freeze while sending. this version also checks the message prior to sending to verify if it sent or not.

and the csv importer is included. just go to import as normal and if the extension of the file is .csv it'll load the csv importer rather than the normal one

try it out for a few days and let me know of any problems you find:

http://cabaal.org/cabbage/Cabbage_Setup_1.90_beta.exe

http://cabaal.org/cabbage/cabbage_1.90_beta.zip

i'm not updating the site to reflect this because bugs are most likely going to be found

edit:meant to say, you might find that you have to allow a program call send.exe access to the internet in your firewall. it's at c:\documents and settings\Application data\Cabbage\send.exe or the vista equivalent that is somethign to do with roaming

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Hi sam, just checking out the new one and I just sent myself "etwqtqrqwetw" in a text, as you do, but it returned the following error:

51581773jk7.jpg

it says Internet Explorer, even though firefox is my default browser? Anyway, I clicked yes and then I got 2 messages to my phone, both just contained the number 1?:confused:

it looks like send.exe didn't get updated when you installed the new one. Could you download the one without an installer and replace the send.exe in c:/documents and settings/application data/cabbage with it and see what happens

the internet explorer error is because the only way i could manage to get o2 working client side was to put an internet explorer object in send.exe

btw, the reason the text just said 1 is that i added a new parameter to the call to send.exe that lets it know whether it should use the cabbage server or not. That 1 means that you have it set to use the server but your send.exe is the old one so it took that 1 to be the message

• Advertisement

That seems to have fixed it :) what bugs, besides that one, are likely to be present do you reckon?

Just two little things, that were always there but just remembered to mention them.

If I'm using the mini version and I send a text and have an msn window open, but not maximised and I'm typing in the text box while the text is sending, when it sends, the typing will continue in the number box of cabbage.

Also, is there any way you can leave it so you can still highlight and copy the text while it's sending? just the other day it was taking ages to send a text, failed eventually, but it was a really long text and it was urgent enough and I wanted to hook up my mobile to Myphoneexplorer for SE and send it through that and copy and paste what I had already written, but I couldn't highlight the text when it was sending. Cabbage gave up just in time and I could do it after it failed :)

cormie wrote: »
    Just two little things, that were always there but just remembered to mention them.

If I'm using the mini version and I send a text and have an msn window open, but not maximised and I'm typing in the text box while the text is sending, when it sends, the typing will continue in the number box of cabbage.
    the program is designed to try to bring itself to the front when it's finished sending but that usually just results in the taskbar button flashing. seems that having it stuck to the desktop makes it's "bring to the front" function work better. i'll look into it
    Also, is there any way you can leave it so you can still highlight and copy the text while it's sending? just the other day it was taking ages to send a text, failed eventually, but it was a really long text and it was urgent enough and I wanted to hook up my mobile to Myphoneexplorer for SE and send it through that and copy and paste what I had already written, but I couldn't highlight the text when it was sending. Cabbage gave up just in time and I could do it after it failed :)

that could cause problems. when sending fails, the message that failed is still supposed to be in the text box. if you're able to edit it while sending, people could end up deleting the message before it fails and losing it. and group messages could end up sending a different message to each person. i'll look into a way to do it though

Yeah, it could cause problems alright. Is it accessible from history once you click send, or only when it has sent successfully? This could be a way around it for the rare occasions. It's only happened once in my whole cabbage usage, so don't bother with it unless it's bugging you ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

7777.JPG

• Advertisement

Yeah, it could cause problems alright. Is it accessible from history once you click send, or only when it has sent successfully? This could be a way around it for the rare occasions. It's only happened once in my whole cabbage usage, so don't bother with it unless it's bugging you ;)
    no it only stores it to the history if it sends successfully. It avoids people thinking that messages sent when they didn't

it would be doable. I'll just have to figure out how to do it without interfering with the normal operation of the program

Random wrote: »
    7777.JPG

indeed

just some more small bits that may be more convenient for most users?

When I go to import contacts, the way my phone stores names is "firstname<space>surname" instead of "firstname<space>firstname" and then number, cabbage goes to choose "firstname<space>mobile" where as on mine it's "firstname<space>surname<space>mobile".

I'm not sure how this works for others. Maybe a "set as default" button on that window would be handy?

Also, the way I keep my contacts, my phone is the main source. If I delete something or change something, I will do so on my phone and then update others. So if I delete or rename something on my phone, and import to cabbage, it will leave the previous name there as it doesn't see it as something to over-write. Is there a way it could overwrite absolutely everything and fully replace it with what's on my phone (the csv file exported from myphoneexplorer). ?

Not sure how others would view these requests, but maybe an option to "delete and overwrite" or something :)

It's sooo much easier to keep cabbage up to date now, thanks a lot :)

just some more small bits that may be more convenient for most users?

When I go to import contacts, the way my phone stores names is "firstname<space>surname" instead of "firstname<space>firstname" and then number, cabbage goes to choose "firstname<space>mobile" where as on mine it's "firstname<space>surname<space>mobile".

I'm not sure how this works for others. Maybe a "set as default" button on that window would be handy?
    i'm not sure what you mean here. when you import a contact into cabbage from a csv file, by default it stores in the file in the format:

firstname surname\/\/number

the \/\/ is how cabbage separates the two so anything before it is taken as the name. how is it saving on yours?

Also, the way I keep my contacts, my phone is the main source. If I delete something or change something, I will do so on my phone and then update others. So if I delete or rename something on my phone, and import to cabbage, it will leave the previous name there as it doesn't see it as something to over-write. Is there a way it could overwrite absolutely everything and fully replace it with what's on my phone (the csv file exported from myphoneexplorer). ?

Not sure how others would view these requests, but maybe an option to "delete and overwrite" or something :)

It's sooo much easier to keep cabbage up to date now, thanks a lot :)
    that would be a good idea, it wouldn't be so much importing as synching. i could just add a checkbox to select whether you want to delete the current phone book before importing the new one

When I go to import. I get this screen.

91333269pd4.jpg

and I change it so the following is selected:

16871136up8.jpg

Then I click Go!

If I don't change what's highlighted by default and just click go on the default screen I'm given, it doesn't load up the surname column, and Where as before I might have "Sam Vimes" +353861234567 now I only have "Sam" +353861234567.

If I select the options I have highlighted in the 2nd screenshot, it's fine :)

ah i see i think you have a different version of outlook to me. this is what i get on the same screen:
    attachment.php?attachmentid=62095&stc=1&d=1219850253

so when you say set up a default, i already did but on your version the default is wrong. i'll have to look into the different versions of outlook and see how they present information

edit: or maybe i could just search for First name, Last name and Mobile....

My CSV file isn't coming from outlook, it's being exported from "myphoneexplorer" :)http://www.fjsoft.at/en/

the search for thing would be a good way around it alright :)

My CSV file isn't coming from outlook, it's being exported from "myphoneexplorer" :)http://www.fjsoft.at/en/

the search for thing would be a good way around it alright :)

i see. that makes more sense. i'll include that in the next version. until then you'll just have to manually select them. such a chore i know :D

Haha, oh no :P

Thanks again!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,177 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Sam Vimes wrote: »

I got bored.

I rewrote the script so it works again (new website and all that jazz).

http://jmccrohan.com/private/lotto.txt

• Advertisement

jmccrohan wrote: »
    I got bored.

What do you do with this? Does it mean you can get lotto results on your phone and if so, is it complicated to do? My mam is always ringing me up asking for the results. If she can't do teletext, can she do this? lol

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,177 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

What do you do with this? Does it mean you can get lotto results on your phone and if so, is it complicated to do? My mam is always ringing me up asking for the results. If she can't do teletext, can she do this? lol
    It is a little webpage that will give you the lotto results.
    Lotto:
    13 18 26 27 30 39 Bonus: 39

Lotto Plus 1:
    1 6 16 22 31 34 Bonus: 36

Lotto Plus 2:
    8 26 30 37 38 41 Bonus: 18

Euromillions:
    7 27 29 39 50 Bonus: 5 7

Sam had already made one already but that got broken when the lotto website was changed.

It is probably just easier if sam just replaces his code with mine and we all use the same link rather than having two links.

cool, thansk for the info :) Might be a bit too complicated for my mama though :)

I got bored.

LOL. those curl functions are dead handy aren't they. i've stuck it on the website now at http://cabaal.org/cabbage/lotto.php. i just made one small modifiaction to add the dates to it. Thanks for that :)
    cool, thansk for the info :) Might be a bit too complicated for my mama though :)

it's really not that complicated. you add a bookmark on her phone to that link and when she wants to get the results she just goes menu->web->bookmarks->lotto

Never thought of that. Will it automatically disconnect once it gets to the page or will she have to press return/c to get back to the main screen for it to disconnect I wonder. I'll give it a go later :)

Never thought of that. Will it automatically disconnect once it gets to the page or will she have to press return/c to get back to the main screen for it to disconnect I wonder. I'll give it a go later :)
    It wont matter as you are charged on data transfered.

What you *could* do is, merge the lotto and cabbage scripts and so when you visit a certain link, a text would be sent from your webtexts to your mom with the lotto results.

Sam can you think of a free way of triggering the script by sending a text to a number?

LOL. those curl functions are dead handy aren't they. i've stuck it on the website now at http://cabaal.org/cabbage/lotto.php. i just made one small modifiaction to add the dates to it. Thanks for that :)
    :) they are indeed. Send us over the modded script if you dont mind.
    I put in the referrer agent line this time. ;)

It wont matter as you are charged on data transfered.

What you *could* do is, merge the lotto and cabbage scripts and so when you visit a certain link, a text would be sent from your webtexts to your mom with the lotto results.

Sam can you think of a free way of triggering the script by sending a text to a number?

not a free way, no. i have a vb program where you can plug a phone into your computer and it reads your inbox once a minute and sends any new messages to a specified number, basically a text forwarder but for it to work your pc has to be on and a phone has to be plugged into it.

that could be modified but i think a better way would be triggering a text by going to a web page, rather than sending a text

not a free way, no. i have a vb program where you can plug a phone into your computer and it reads your inbox once a minute and sends any new messages to a specified number, basically a text forwarder but for it to work your pc has to be on and a phone has to be plugged into it.

That using modem init strings? You make it?

• Advertisement

That using modem init strings? You make it?

it uses a dll that someone wrote for accessing the phone. it connects in much the same way as the nokia pc suite, not using the modem at all. i wrote the code around the dll

a quick google brought this up which i think was what i used

http://www.xtremevbtalk.com/archive/index.php/t-248228.html

Advertisement