Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cabbage Desktop / Cabbage Mobile mega thread (Desktop/mobile texting app)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Yeah, but even using the o2 website before I ever got cabbage, you could send a text and it could be ages before it gets to the recipient even though it will say message sent and show your messages -1. Does confirm definitely confirm that the message was delivered or does it just confirm cabbage sent it ok? I'm just thinking, if that thing happened where o2 delays it (and this isn't controllable by cabbage) then the "confirm" option might confirm it and send the confirmation to your phone, but the text you sent is still floating around in cyberspace:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

yeah that's what i said in my post :)

the confirm used to also be good in the cases where it said the message failed but it didn't. That should never happen anymore so now its only use is when o2 decides to wait a few hours before sending them and imo that's so rare that it's not worth using half my text allowance to make sure it doesn't happen

but it is handy when you want to be 100% sure a message sent and i will be fixing it

Yeah definitely :) I rarely use confirm anyway, but it's definitely handy to have for those important message. So basically, if o2 are delaying it, you wont get a confirm message until they send it to the recipient? I was worried for a sec that you get the confirm message the minute "cabbage" sends it without a problem to o2, but the actual message mightn't deliver for hours. Does using "confirm" use up 2 texts so? :)

yes it does. To do the confirm it just calls the send function again with the number set to yours and the text set to "cabbage confirmation.....". It'll only send when o2 decides to send it and it uses your allowance, the same any other message

• Advertisement

Ah cool stuff :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 rene13cross

Hey Sam,

First of all thanks so much for this great little program, has been extremely useful!

Anyways, I use Cabbage Mobile constantly on my phone, aswell as the desktop version, and it has served me well for almost 3 quarters of a year. Just yesterday I received an error as I tried sending a text which read:

Runtime java/lang/RuntimeException
    Cannot open store; reason:javax.microedition.rms.InvalidRecordIDException

As this was version 1.1 of Cabbage Mobile, I immediately checked for a newer version and downloaded version 1.3. Everything worked perfect on installation (I've a Nokia 6230i by the way), it even asked me to keep application data (I was delighted! :D) but when I typed my text, pressed send, put in the number, it gave me the same error. I'm dying! lol

Help is highly appreciated.

Thanks

unfortunately you won't be able to keep your application data. because of the very restrctive way that information can be stored on a phone, you'll have to completely erase the program and reinstall it before it'll work

OK so. Thanks very much. Would've liked to keep the data but sure thats that lol.

Well thanks very much Sam and please keep up the good work.

OK so. Thanks very much. Would've liked to keep the data but sure thats that lol.

Well thanks very much Sam and please keep up the good work.

sorry about that. you shouldn't have to do that, it's a problem that i should have known about and should not have allowed to happen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭ronano

hey sam wondering if you could help me,i istalled the mobile cabbage on friends phone in the uk. It installed fine but when i go to send it says 'cannot connect to server' any ideas? its nokia n73

im texting from the uk using the program,the persons internet works on the phone otherwise

i should also add it's t-mobile and asks for an access point of tmobile internet or tzone etc once i try to send

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,177 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

ronano wrote: »
    hey sam wondering if you could help me,i istalled the mobile cabbage on friends phone in the uk. It installed fine but when i go to send it says 'cannot connect to server' any ideas?

im texting from the uk using the program,the persons internet works on the phone otherwise
    Does he have full isp access or only port 80 access?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭ronano

i'm a novice

i'm unsure,how would i check? It's a nokia n73

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,177 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Ok sorry :o

Port 80 is the port on which http (webpages) are sent. (most mobile providers only allow port 80 access via a proxy)

Full isp access means that all the ports are open. (this the same as your broadband at home)

What you need for cabbage is all the ports open.

If you can get opera mini working, cabbage will work.
    Have a look at the instructions for getting opera mini working.

Hey Sam,

Sry about this but the problem has come back again (:o), I did what you said and totally deleted the program and donwloaded and installed it again. After a few hours of using it (it worked fine as predicted) it gave the same error again :eek: lol! I'm guessing its to do with my phone but do you know the cause of the problem?

Sry about this and if there's nothing to do about it, dont worry, I'll just be forced to use the o2 free txts evn though at a cost of 20 euro lol. Thanks for your time anyways!

Hey Sam,

Sry about this but the problem has come back again (:o), I did what you said and totally deleted the program and donwloaded and installed it again. After a few hours of using it (it worked fine as predicted) it gave the same error again :eek: lol! I'm guessing its to do with my phone but do you know the cause of the problem?

Sry about this and if there's nothing to do about it, dont worry, I'll just be forced to use the o2 free txts evn though at a cost of 20 euro lol. Thanks for your time anyways!

hmmm sounds to me like there's something wrong with your phone and the record stores are losing their association with their programs. has this happened with any other programs or have you tried any other programs?

i say it's the phone just because no one else has reported anything like that and i've used it on loads of 6230i's myself with no problem but i'll take alook at the code anyway and see if it could be causing the problem.

maybe try updating the software on the phone?

@ronano, give what jmccrohan said a shot. you need to use the internet access point because java apps in general don't work properly through wap proxies. give t-mobile a call and see if they can help

edit: does the phone have the same problem with your sim in it, assuming you also have a t-mobile sim?

edit2: and try this, taken from the nokia website:
    1. On the phone press the Menu key.
    2. Scroll to and select Tools.
    3. Scroll to and select Sett. wizard to launch the Nokia Settings Wizard.
    4. Scroll to and select Operator.
    5. Follow the wizard's on screen steps to automatically configure the phone with the required operator service settings.
    6. Repeat steps 1 to 3 of the Settings Check above to verify that the settings are now working correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

Thanks Sam

I use computer and mobile version:)

Sam,

Over in france and just realised it wont send texts to using meteor in the number format 003538x1234567.

Perhaps adding
    $d=str_replace("00", "0", $d);

to send.php would solve the problem?

i thought i'd taken care of that already but apparently not. I'll get on it but i'm away at the moment so it won't be right away

i'm sure you already know this but just to make sure everyone knows, being in france doesn't make any difference to the required number format. You can still just send it to 08x1234567 as normal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭laoisfan

i've used in france without any issues using the standard 08x123456 format and i am with O2. also used it with meteor using same format too without any issues.

• Advertisement

Hmm, used up all my 250 texts again and I'm getting that same "invalid login details" message when I try and send a text now :(

cormie wrote: »
    Hmm, used up all my 250 texts again and I'm getting that same "invalid login details" message when I try and send a text now :(

that's very odd. would you be able to send me the code of the following pages:

the first page after you log in
    the page where you send a text
    the page after you send a text

to get the code, open the page and then right-click somewhere on the page and click "view page source" (ff) or "view source" (ie)

Are you talking about on the actual o2 website yeah? I log in direct to the webtext page: http://www.o2online.ie/NASApp/TM/O2/send.jsp

I'll pm you just incase there is private info in the source, I can see my contacts in one, I'll delete them :P

Actually, I'll just upload them here, let me know as soon as you've got them please and I'll delete it :) have removed any personal info I could find anyway!

*removed*

Cool, good luck :)

I think that was the only error I was having, and then there was the "overwrite all" option in the phonebook importer. Not an error, just an addition :)

Seems to be back working fine again now it's October and I've another 250 free. The confirm still isn't working for me though.

good to hear it's working now because i have zero time to fix it :)

i'll have to take a look at the confirm when i get a chance

Cool, seems to only happen once I use up my 250 free texts anyway, and once they are gone, all texts from cabbage seem to send 3 times, so if I'm texting an international number it's :eek: :pac:

So I think for me the only errors/improvements are:
    • Confirm message doesn't work anymore.
    • Once 250 messages are used, it gives failed message but recipient receives message 3 times.
    • Add "overwrite entire phonebook" option to CSV importer to delete all entries and replace with CSV entries.

Then it would pretty much be a work of perfection :D

forgot to mention in the last post the way that if you type a text then click send and while it's sending, open up another window (msn/boards) and are typing away, when the text sends, the typing will go from whatever window you were on, to the number field on cabbage. I'm not sure if this only happens on the mini view?

• Advertisement

cormie wrote: »
    forgot to mention in the last post the way that if you type a text then click send and while it's sending, open up another window (msn/boards) and are typing away, when the text sends, the typing will go from whatever window you were on, to the number field on cabbage. I'm not sure if this only happens on the mini view?

i'm not sure if it's just on the mini version but i think i'll just get rid of that feature altogether. It's more trouble than it's worth

Advertisement