Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cabbage Desktop / Cabbage Mobile mega thread (Desktop/mobile texting app)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Which feature would you be getting rid of? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

cormie wrote: »
    Which feature would you be getting rid of? :)

the part that brings the program to the front when it's finished sending a message. it's causing the problem you describe

Ah cool, I didn't know you added that in as a feature :) Do you use it yourself? What would it be useful for mainly?

Ah cool, I didn't know you added that in as a feature :) Do you use it yourself? What would it be useful for mainly?

i added it as a feature but in the mini version it's not functioning as it's supposed to. normally when you try to bring a window to the front, instead its button in the taskbar flashes orange to indicate that it wants attention so you know when a message has sent

but the desktop can bring itself to the front whenever it wants so the same code on the mini version takes the focus away from whatever window you happen to be on. so i'm thinking i might get rid of it and think of another way to notify the user when a message is sent

ah cool stuff :)

I can't imagine going back to the non mini version, it's brill, everyone should check it out :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

problems for anyone else right now?

"could not connect to site" is what I was getting.

o2.ie seems to be up tho..didnt try logging in however

the mobile version is working fine for me. Is it still not working for you? We all know how temperamental o2 can be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

When i send a message it says unexpected response format?

what type of phone do you have and what network are you on?

and has it ever worked on the phone?

Sony Ericsson k800i and Vodafone

• Advertisement

and has it just stopped working or did it never work?

the best settings to use on vodafone are the isp ones because the live settings are very unreliable. What unexpected response format means is that nothing was sent back to the phone, which often happens on live

i'm posting on a phone at the moment so it's awkward to do up the huge for entering the settings but i'll post it up tonight if someone doesn't beat me to it

It still sends tho. I just found that out.

yeah that's what happens with live. It sends the request fine but because the live access point tries to format everything before sending it and it doesn't work properly it often just doesn't send anything back. I'll post up later what you need to do to get it to work

here's what you need to do to enter the isp settings:

menu->settings->connectivity->data communication->data accounts
    ->new account->ps data

name: Vodafone isp
    apn: isp.vodafone.ie
    username: vodafone
    password: vodafone

press save

click on vodafone isp

scroll down to authentication.
    untick None and CHAP, leaving only PAP selected

menu->settings->connectivity->internet settings->internet profiles
    ->new profile

name: vodafone isp
    connect using: vodafone isp

press save

menu->settings->connectivity->internet settings->settings for java

select vodafone isp from the list

what that does is it'll leave it so your phone's browser is using live and java applications are using isp. vodafone's 99c a day deal only applies to the live access point, the isp one is 2c per kb. this is fine for programs like cabbage that use tiny amounts of data but not suitable for things like browsing with opera mini.

if you want to use a java app to access the internet it's much cheaper to switch it back to live by going into menu->settings->connectivity->internet settings->settings for java and selecting live but you'll find that most java apps suffer from the same problem cabbage does over live, ie they work intermittently

see here (post # 1896 to #1910) for recent info on cabbage mobile. from now on please keep Cabbage related questions to this thread and not dal's AFT thread. it avoids confusion all round.

now, i've finished fixing the bugs in the new version of Cabbage Mobile (i think :D)

There's only one new feature, a "Send to many" option. the way it's set up, it costs the same as 1 text no matter how many recipients you select.

for developers, you can now send a text with a comma separated list of destination numbers like so:
    http://cabaal.org/cabbage/send.php?u=08xxxxxxxx&p=xxxx&s=x&m=message&d=0871111111,0862222222,0853333333

the main reason for the update was to try to fix a problem with the SE C902. @Keano, let me know if you have problems with this version

@flodis79, i've fixed it so you can press the enter key instead of pressing options on the text screen. it was a lot easier than i thought it'd be :)

are you still having problems with +3538x and 08x? both are still working fine for me. and i added a feature to remember the last group on the send to many form. press options->restore previous to bring them back

you can try out the new version here:
    http://cabaal.org/cabbage/mobile/Cabbage_Mobile_1.4.jar

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Fantastic resource. Saved me so much credit. Any chance of a version for linux (ubuntu would be best) just to suit me? :-P

I know a lot of friends who use Cabbage too and are stuck to using vista when they want to send txts without credit. The vodafone site sucks and is often broken. Interestingly almost all my friends are on vodafone.

Thanks!!

hi, i don't see myself ever making a linux version unless i'm really really bored but there's an alternative already available that works on linux and macs etc because it's written in java. It's called JSMS and you can get it here:http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054940719

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

Everything working fine with the 003538x, +3538x and 08x variations now, thanks.

Great job with the enter key now doing the job of moving screen.

Dare I ask to have the Send as first choice when pressing the enter key as well? So that you can go all the way from create message thru to sending it by only pressing the enter key? Thanks!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Hey Sam

Program work great, well nearly.

I can only send one message at a time. I have to exit the program and go back in to send another.

It also wont allow me to select a contact from the cabbage contacts.

Thanks again for the update.

flodis79 wrote: »
    Everything working fine with the 003538x, +3538x and 08x variations now, thanks.

Dare I ask to have the Send as first choice when pressing the enter key as well? So that you can go all the way from create message thru to sending it by only pressing the enter key? Thanks!

But enter creates a paragraph in cabbage which I always use :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mfield

I'm trying to set this up on a nokia 5310 and its' giving me an 'unable to connect to server' message. Any help would be great!

But enter creates a paragraph in cabbage which I always use :P

Which phone are you using? On my e51, the enter key is the middle of the d pad. Perhaps we're talking about different keys? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Which phone are you using? On my e51, the enter key is the middle of the d pad. Perhaps we're talking about different keys? :)
    I think cormie is talking about the desktop version. I'd also like that feature implemented on the mobile version. But maybe the middle keypad button could enter the phonebook if the box is blank otherwise the key would send the message.

mad.mike wrote: »
    I think cormie is talking about the desktop version. I'd also like that feature implemented on the mobile version. But maybe the middle keypad button could enter the phonebook if the box is blank otherwise the key would send the message.

I agree. But I have already the options Add from contacts when no number is entered in the phone number box.

I agree. But I have already the options Add from contacts when no number is entered in the phone number box.
    I got the same phone as you. When i press it, it gives me the options to add from phonebook or to call the number. Since i've never needed to call anyone from cabbage i think it would be better if it was just bypassed and the middle key went straight to the phonebook.

mad.mike wrote: »
    I got the same phone as you. When i press it, it gives me the options to add from phonebook or to call the number. Since i've never needed to call anyone from cabbage i think it would be better if it was just bypassed and the middle key went straight to the phonebook.

Not sure if that is possible. Think some extra options are added in every midlet automatically, for instance the Call this number option.

Oops, yep I'm talking about the desktop version:o

Not sure if that is possible. Think some extra options are added in every midlet automatically, for instance the Call this number option.
    Well if its possible it would be handy!

that must have been a temporary problem because i didn't change that part at all :confused:
    why thank you :D

that's a bit tricky. as you mentioned after that post, the Add from contacts and Call options are added automatically for the phone number textbox and i can't prevent them from being at the top afaik.

the best i can do is that if you're selecting a recently used number it'll be the first option but if you have the phone number text box selected it'll be the third option, below Call and Add from contacts. I've made those changes and uploaded it so if you download it again you'll see what i mean

Hey Sam

Program work great, well nearly.

I can only send one message at a time. I have to exit the program and go back in to send another.

It also wont allow me to select a contact from the cabbage contacts.

Thanks again for the update.
    well we're getting somewhere :)

when you say you have to exit the program, does it completely freeze or is it that you're able to go back and write another message but when you send it, it goes back to the interface not moving but the message still sends?

will it never allow to you add from the cabbage contacts or is that only after you successfully send the first time?

mfield wrote: »
    I'm trying to set this up on a nokia 5310 and its' giving me an 'unable to connect to server' message. Any help would be great!

you need to change some settings on your phone but before i tell you what to do i need to know what network you're on
    Oops, yep I'm talking about the desktop version:o

silly cormie :D

• Advertisement

that's a bit tricky. as you mentioned after that post, the Add from contacts and Call options are added automatically for the phone number textbox and i can't prevent them from being at the top afaik.

the best i can do is that if you're selecting a recently used number it'll be the first option but if you have the phone number text box selected it'll be the third option, below Call and Add from contacts. I've made those changes and uploaded it so if you download it again you'll see what i mean
    Tried to download the new version but its gone back to 1.3 even though i downloaded 1.4 yesterday. Am i missing something?

Advertisement