Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cabbage Desktop / Cabbage Mobile mega thread (Desktop/mobile texting app)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

I noticed another strange behaviour with the app: If you have a few contacts in Cabbage contacts, then delete them, and start to save numbers again when prompted after sending a message, the first contact saves fine, then for next number, it will suggest the previous name assigned to contact 1. See if you can reproduce this.

Also the last number sent to does not move up to the top when sending a message.

Would it also be possible that the app checks just the last part of the number in Cabbage contacts when sending, so that e.g. if you have number 0831234567 saved in Cabbage contacts as "contact test", and then choose once to enter number manually as 00353831234567 or +353831234567, it will map this to the "contact test" as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

flodis79 wrote: »
    Edit: I'm afraid it's still only Add from Contacts, Call and Send showing up.
    i'm not sure why that is, it's showing up on my e65. see what it's like on the newly uploaded one

I noticed another strange behaviour with the app: If you have a few contacts in Cabbage contacts, then delete them, and start to save numbers again when prompted after sending a message, the first contact saves fine, then for next number, it will suggest the previous name assigned to contact 1. See if you can reproduce this.
    that was just because i wasn't resetting the form so the previous name was still there. i've fixed that now if you download it again
    Also the last number sent to does not move up to the top when sending a message.
    you'll find that it would move to the top unless you'd added the name to the phone book :) i've fixed that now
    Would it also be possible that the app checks just the last part of the number in Cabbage contacts when sending, so that e.g. if you have number 0831234567 saved in Cabbage contacts as "contact test", and then choose once to enter number manually as 00353831234567 or +353831234567, it will map this to the "contact test" as well?

done. that was a bit complicated so you might have some problems with it. let me know anyway

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

when you say you can't send two messages in a row, what exactly happens? my understanding is you:

1. open the program
    2. write a text
    3. select ok
    4. type in a number
    5. select send

at this point the screen changes to one saying "Sending to 08xxxxxxxx..." and a few seconds later changes to: "message sent. x messages left"

Correct^^^

then you:

6. select back
    7. write another message
    8. select ok
    9. type in a number
    10. select send

and at this point the screen doesn't change to "Sending to 08xxxxxxxx..."

It just stays on the screen with the number and the message doesn't send.

right so i think the problem has to do with threads. i've just modified it to get rid of all threads. you'll probably find that the page doesn't change to "Sending to xxx...." but that screen doesn't really matter and the "message sent. x messages left" screen should appear fine

edit: forgot to give you the link :D

it's different to the normal one, it's: http://cabaal.org/cabbage/mobile/Cabbage_Mobile_1.4temp.jar

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Cheers Sam.

I will download and transfer to my mobile later this evening and report back.

• Advertisement

I am afraid this 08x/003538x/+3538x substitution does not work. It is still asking me to save a number where only the prefix variations differ, under different names.

I also noticed that the recent number sent to does not move to the top.

Finally, the usual download link, ending in 1.4.jar does not seem to be working at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Hi Sam,
    I tried the Voda login and still says "failed checking". So maybe it's something up with my version, but what could have happened in the past few days that made any changes I wonder:confused:

Just another thing to point out, when I wanted to change from my profile to the vodafone one, I couldn't on the minimal version, without making it "normal size" so maybe add something in the "more" menu to choose profile? Also, once I did change to normal, because the position I had it in on screen, the "more" button was just cut off so I couldn't click back on the menu to resize to small once it failed, I tried to drag it over, but of course I had it set not to be able to be dragged :P I tried right clicking etc but couldn't get to "more", tried restart, tried system tray, but nope. Then I remembered I could use the tab button to go through the buttons, so got to it that way. Probably not going to be a common enough problem to bother fixing though :)

Hey Sam

Success at last. App working great. Tks for all the help. Another legend around!

Sam Vimes A Legend!!

I am afraid this 08x/003538x/+3538x substitution does not work. It is still asking me to save a number where only the prefix variations differ, under different names.
    i knew that wouldn't work firsr time. :) i'll get on it on monday
    thought i'd fixed that but again, monday
    Finally, the usual download link, ending in 1.4.jar does not seem to be working at the moment?
    fixed that
    cormie wrote: »
    Hi Sam,
    I tried the Voda login and still says "failed checking". So maybe it's something up with my version, but what could have happened in the past few days that made any changes I wonder:confused:
    right so it looks like the problem is with your computer anyway. could you restart in safe mode with networking and try it. in case you don't know how to do that you restart the computer and as soon as you see the first screen that lists the memory etc start tapping F8 and keep tapping it until a menu appears that gives the option safe mode with networking.
    Just another thing to point out, when I wanted to change from my profile to the vodafone one, I couldn't on the minimal version, without making it "normal size" so maybe add something in the "more" menu to choose profile?
    ah you see that's the sacrifice you make when you pick the minimal version :) to be honest if someone's using the minimal version they'll very rarely need the login change box, so rarely that i could make the change but it'd only be onced once a year or so
    Also, once I did change to normal, because the position I had it in on screen, the "more" button was just cut off so I couldn't click back on the menu to resize to small once it failed, I tried to drag it over, but of course I had it set not to be able to be dragged :P I tried right clicking etc but couldn't get to "more", tried restart, tried system tray, but nope. Then I remembered I could use the tab button to go through the buttons, so got to it that way. Probably not going to be a common enough problem to bother fixing though :)
    as you say, that's not really common enough to need fixing and for the very rare occasions that it happens, you can tab to the button or hit ALT+O too

Hey Sam

Success at last. App working great. Tks for all the help. Another legend around!

Sam Vimes A Legend!!

that's great :) let me know if it starts to give you any more trouble. and i'll have a new version in a few days to fix those bugs that flodis79 pointed out. i'll have a separate link for c902 users

• Advertisement

Tried in safe mode but couldn't figure out how to get my wifi connected, had the network showing up and everything but it said it had a fine signal but "not connected" beside it, even though I had just put the password in to connect? I tried send a text anyway and it still gave 16-failed checking which makes me think, since I know it wasn't connected then, that maybe cabbage hasn't been connected at all for me lately? What could be stopping it from connecting I wonder?

Just to add to the above, I just tried getting "number of messages left" in the "more" tab and it failed getting that, but i was able to see that a new update was available through the "more" tab which means it must be connected itself, but maybe not to o2, but the same happened with Voda?

Should I download the latest version and reinstall maybe? I think the version I have has something you hadn't yet added to the latest release though? Or has it been added since? I forget what it is though :o

Tried in safe mode but couldn't figure out how to get my wifi connected, had the network showing up and everything but it said it had a fine signal but "not connected" beside it, even though I had just put the password in to connect? I tried send a text anyway and it still gave 16-failed checking which makes me think, since I know it wasn't connected then, that maybe cabbage hasn't been connected at all for me lately? What could be stopping it from connecting I wonder?

no it hasn't been connecting. that message is what you get when the program completely failed to connect to the internet.

the fact that you can check for updates tells me a lot. it tells me that most likely the program is blocked from accessing the internet.

i'm sure you remembering asking me to change it so that the desktop doesn't freeze when sending a message. the way i did that was i have a separate exe doing the sending and the main cabbage program just sits and waits for it to return. have a look in your firewall settings for a program called send.exe and i'd say it'll be blocked.

the checking for updates is done by another program called update.exe and that's why it still works while send.exe can't connect....i think :)

edit:don't download the latest version. you have the latest version, i never changed the site for it

i'm having trouble reproducing this problem. I had a number in the phone book in the 08x format then i tried sending to 08x, +3538x, 003538x and 358x and none of them made the program ask me to add it to the contacts again. I'm thinking you might not have the latest one, try downloading it again. Unless i've misunderstood the problem?

I couldn't reproduce this either. What i tried was:
    sent a text to +3538x which wasn't in the phone book

sent a few more messages to move it down the list

sent a text to 08x. It went to the top of the list and the +3538x disappeared from the bottom as it should

then the next test was:

sent a text to +3538x which wasn't in the phone book

sent a few more messages to move it down the list

sent a text to 003538x and then added it to the contacts when prompted. It appeared on the top of the list and the lower one disappeared

the third test was:

sent a few messages to move the new contact (stored as 003538x) down the list.

sent a message to 08x. The contact disappeared from the bottom and appeared at the top as it should

what exactly did you do to get the error, in terms of contact or not and formats used?

but again, try downloading it again before posting

Sam, how do I check windows firewall for blocked programs? All I can see is an "exceptions" thingy, which I've added send.exe to, but still no luck. Should I be adding programs from the program files folder, or the application data folder?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Just updated to 1.4 on my Nokia e61i and it works a treat. Havent checked out all the new features yet but seems a lot quicker in general :) Thanks

added send.exe from both app data and program files and still no luck I'm afraid :(

added send.exe from both app data and program files and still no luck I'm afraid :(

something a bit tricky to try:

go into c:\documents and settings\<your username\application data\Cabbage

copy send.exe to another folder and rename it to something else. also copy vars.txt to the same folder but don't rename it

then click start->run, type cmd and press enter.

type cd <the folder you copied send.exe to>
    eg
    cd c:\documents and settings\<username>\Desktop
    and press enter

then type (change send.exe to whatever you called it) and press enter:

send.exe <phone number> <password> <network> <dest> 1 <message>

for example:

send.exe 0871234567 password o 0871234567 1 hello

if there's a space in an input, put "" around it, eg.

send.exe 0871234567 "pass word" o 0871234567 1 hello

the 1 tells the program to use the intermediate server and the o indicates o2 (v for voda and m for met). some time later (max 60 seconds), a file called result should appear in the folder and if it's working a message saying hello should arrive on the phone 0871234567 (change this to your own number of course)

post back to let me know what happens and tell me what number is in the result file when it's created

edit:and if possible could you turn off the windows firewall whiel trying it?

ok, before I tried the above (which I haven't tried yet because this is something maybe..) but I tried click off "send via int server" again, this time the same "continue running scripts" box came up, this time I pressed no, it popped up a second time, I clicked no again, then my phone got a message and cabbage says message sent:confused:

Will I still try the above or have you go more to go by now with this news?

I cleared all my cache and stuff with CCleaner to see if it would help but still no luck, but with it's now always working after the 2 pop ups...

Sam, everything working fine now. Both the prefix substitution and the latest number moving up in the recent numbers list. Cheers!

• Advertisement

ok, before I tried the above (which I haven't tried yet because this is something maybe..) but I tried click off "send via int server" again, this time the same "continue running scripts" box came up, this time I pressed no, it popped up a second time, I clicked no again, then my phone got a message and cabbage says message sent:confused:

Will I still try the above or have you go more to go by now with this news?

I cleared all my cache and stuff with CCleaner to see if it would help but still no luck, but with it's now always working after the 2 pop ups...

it tells me that it might not be blocked by the firewall but when you're not using the server it has an internet explorer object included so it's possible that it was using iexplore.exe to connect and send.exe is actually blocked. Give what i suggested a shot anyway and let me know
    Sam, everything working fine now. Both the prefix substitution and the latest number moving up in the recent numbers list. Cheers!
    grand so :) let me know if you find anything else

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭elgriff

Love the programme, always works perfect for me thanks!

New o2 is up and ready to use. Looks quite different, can't test cabbage to see if it still works though because the other problem I was having :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭IH77

Cabbage doesn't appear to be working now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭wasim21k

i think its not working coz o2 changed site?

Probably going to be quite an undertaking to get it up to date with the new o2 thingy, good luck Sam :o

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭timmy69

Both of em stopped working :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Only just noticed this now. Grrr ok they've added new functionality but its slower to use. which is why we use 3rd party webtext apps in the first place. If they dn't want us to use the free text why do all the improvements at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Yup it has stopped working.

Hope Sam will be able to fix it.

Waiting for update.... :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Get to work vimey! ;) :pac:

I know you aren't out galavanting on a sunday night :P

<3 j00!

Advertisement