Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cabbage Desktop / Cabbage Mobile mega thread (Desktop/mobile texting app)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭cianr

Hopefully this gets fixed soon as i'm roaming in India! :-) thanks in advance Sam!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

they've done some mad crap to that website and i don't know how long it'll take me to fix it or even if i can.

in the meantime you might look at www.smsdiscount.com. Their texts aren't free, they're about 2c, but cheaper than indian texts

kaimera wrote: »
    Get to work vimey! ;) :pac:

I know you aren't out galavanting on a sunday night :P

<3 j00!

i'd just landed in stockholm as a matter of fact :)

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭cianr

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    they've done some mad crap to that website and i don't know how long it'll take me to fix it or even if i can.

in the meantime you might look at www.smsdiscount.com. Their texts aren't free, they're about 2c, but cheaper than indian texts

Thanks very much for the tip Sam! :-) can't seem to create an account with them without downloading software,and i don't have access to a comp. I'll keep looking,thanks again!

o2 should be working again :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

o2 should be working again :pac:

No way, fair play to ya!!
    How did you manage it? Was it just a matter of changing ip addresses to their new webtext server?

no it was actually extremely difficult to do, they changed the whole thing. Managed it in the end though :)

i just hope it keeps working

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

well done on getting it back working. this program is excellent!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

wow wasn't expecting that either. How come we don't have to download a new version? Mine still isn't working from the last problem, haven't had a chance to check out the possible fix, but could someone tell me whether 161+ texts are delivered as 1 or 2 texts now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭IH77

cormie wrote: »
    could someone tell me whether 161+ texts are delivered as 1 or 2 texts now?

Can confirm that it sends as two texts using Cabbage (one text still if logging on and sending through the O2 site)

Thanks Sam ya legend!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

Cheers Sam, just thought I would pop in and say thanks as use this program on phone and desktop all the time.

Is it the server that cabbage is connected to you made changes to that the program works without downloading it again?

well done on getting it back working. this program is excellent!!!

thank you :)
    IH77 wrote: »
    Can confirm that it sends as two texts using Cabbage (one text still if logging on and sending through the O2 site)

Thanks Sam ya legend!
    and thank you :)

cabbage breaks up messages into 160 character chunks itself so that's why it sends as two. i'll have to change the code of the desktop client to allow it to send more and i won't be able to do that for at least a week for complicated reasons.

but i can make it so cabbage mobile users get the benefit of the longer texts sooner than that, over the next few days

wow wasn't expecting that either. How come we don't have to download a new version? Mine still isn't working from the last problem, haven't had a chance to check out the possible fix, but could someone tell me whether 161+ texts are delivered as 1 or 2 texts now?

you don't have to download a new client because all the interaction with the o2 site is handled on the server side. the text gets upload to my (cabaal's) server and it forwards it on to o2.

i really need to know the results of that test before i can go any further with fixing your problem unfortunately and when you let me know i won't be able to fix it until next week as i said above.

in the meantime you could install the old version in a different folder to the new one. i'd be 99% sure the old one will work and you can just use the new one when you want to use the csv importer.

install it to c:\cabbage instead of c:\program files\cabbage

edit:and the old one will still freeze the desktop but it's better than nothing :)

eoferrall wrote: »
    Cheers Sam, just thought I would pop in and say thanks as use this program on phone and desktop all the time.

Is it the server that cabbage is connected to you made changes to that the program works without downloading it again?

it is indeed :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Most Excellent Vimes. Lady Sybil would be inpressed.

BostonB wrote: »
    Most Excellent Vimes. Lady Sybil would be inpressed.

sybill loves a bit of cabbage she does :)
    Mine still isn't working from the last problem, haven't had a chance to check out the possible fix

i just thought of something and made a quick change to the server side code. could you give sending one more try, with it set to use the server

Ehhh what the? It just worked:eek:.... I have cabbage server selected and send via intermediate... explain :cool:

Ehhh what the? It just worked:eek:.... I have cabbage server selected and send via intermediate... explain :cool:

it was entirely my own fault. i put some error checking code into the script that if a destination number wasn't provided the script would just fail.

i'd forgot that in your version, when doing the initial check of the messages the program only supplied the phone number, password and network because that's all that's needed to do the check.

so i added a clause that it should only fail if a desintation number wasn't provided AND the user wasn't just checking his messages, et voila :)

to get technical, i changed:
    if(strcmp($d,"")==0)
    {
    	return -2;
    }

to
    if(strcmp($d,"")==0 && $c!=1)
    {
    	return -2;
    }

those 7 characters "&& $c!=1" were all that was needed to fix it

Kinda understand, but why did it just stop working all of a sudden for me and it worked when I first upgraded to that version? What's different in the one I have again? I forget :o And what was the reason for not adding it to the main program?

Cool it's working again anyway thanks :)

I just checked whether cabbage would split the messages into 160char messages with the way the new o2 is, and it does as before.

I just noticed that when cabbage was finished sending the message, that while I was writing here (with it at full screen) that the firefox window went grey at the top (instead of blue as is when selected) and what I was typing was in the number field of cabbage. Was this the thing you fixed in the version I have and did the change you made at server side reintroduce this? Or did you ever fix that bug? I forget :o

Kinda understand, but why did it just stop working all of a sudden for me and it worked when I first upgraded to that version? What's different in the one I have again? I forget :o And what was the reason for not adding it to the main program?

what changed in the version you have is the csv importer and more importantly it stopped freezing the desktop. to do that i had to completely change the way it sent messages which explains why the problem only affected you since i think you're the only person who upgraded.

the reason it started all of a sudden was that i made the change on the server side script a while after you upgraded. it started sending a fail response when it shouldn't have, so the program was working exactly as it should but the script it was talking to had a bug in it, telling it it was failing when it wasn't. that was also why i was able to fix the problem without you downloading a new one

I just checked whether cabbage would split the messages into 160char messages with the way the new o2 is, and it does as before.
    it does for the moment but i'm working on that

I just noticed that when cabbage was finished sending the message, that while I was writing here (with it at full screen) that the firefox window went grey at the top (instead of blue as is when selected) and what I was typing was in the number field of cabbage. Was this the thing you fixed in the version I have and did the change you made at server side reintroduce this? Or did you ever fix that bug? I forget :o

no i never fixed that :o i'm working on that too

• Advertisement

Ah it all makes sense now :)

I was actually getting used to the new o2 webtext, some nice features on it.

You know you think you have it almost complete and then they go and release a new system on the site then you have to put it probably more work than ever to get it up to date, I'd be going mad if I were you :P

Do you think you could utilise the delivery report function too or would something like that require a complete rehaul?

Ah it all makes sense now :)

I was actually getting used to the new o2 webtext, some nice features on it.

You know you think you have it almost complete and then they go and release a new system on the site then you have to put it probably more work than ever to get it up to date, I'd be going mad if I were you :P
    i was a bit when i thought i wouldn't be able to fix it but it's all good :)
    Do you think you could utilise the delivery report function too or would something like that require a complete rehaul?

that would be completely impossible. the program can only do what the webtext interface allows it to do and webtexts don't do delievery reports. if you want that you'll have to ask o2 themselves :)

but the new o2 webtext does ;) perhaps you could have it some way similar in that it sends a message to cabbage to say what's been delivered?

Ahh, interesting, look what the o2 site has (see attached)

the red blocks were all sent from o2 site, the green from cabbage, so the texts sent from cabbage will show whether they have been delivered or not if you go to the o2 site. Note the green 086 is the same as the red Me <35386 so it doesn't use the same address book.

Ahh, interesting, look what the o2 site has (see attached)

the red blocks were all sent from o2 site, the green from cabbage, so the texts sent from cabbage will show whether they have been delivered or not if you go to the o2 site. Note the green 086 is the same as the red Me <35386 so it doesn't use the same address book.

i'm a bit confused. are you saying that o2 have added a feature that the website tells you if a message was delivered or not?

and do you mean that the ones sent from cabbage aren't being picked up correctly, ie they show as delviered even though they're not?

Yeah, o2 now have a feature on the site that you can see whether all the messages you have sent have been delivered or not and I just turned my phone off, sent a message with cabbage and checked the site and it's just marked as "sent" not "delivered" which is a good sign :)

EDIT: Turned phone back on, got message, refreshed page on o2, now marked as delivered, another good sign :)

excellent. I can most likely make use of that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭juvenal

Just logged in to see if there'd been any developments since o2 rehashed the site, and am delighted to see that the program is working again.

I use this on the phone several times a day for texting both Irish numbers and international numbers and it's invaluable to me.

Great work Sam and thanks a million!

Yeah, there's really only 2 main new features they implemented that could be added to cabbage, the delivery reports and the 1,000 characters being readable as one text (but using 7 of your texts).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

:D No doubt.....

- Thanks for making Cabbage available Sam, its a great app; especially appreciated it when it was gone !!!!

Advertisement