Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cabbage Desktop / Cabbage Mobile mega thread (Desktop/mobile texting app)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

cool thanks man! U have any idea how many ppl use your app? Must be a good few a this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

mad.mike wrote: »
    cool thanks man! U have any idea how many ppl use your app? Must be a good few a this stage.

i actually have no idea. i don't collect any information on the info going through the server and with the client side code nothing even goes to the server so it's impossible to tell if people are using it. i might try to figure out a way of doing a kind of census at some stage

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

mad.mike wrote: »
    hiya, great app, fair play to ya for putting so much time into it. One thing i was thinking could be implemented into the desktop and mobile versions is that when your mesage is sent and its broken into two or three messages that it could identify which part is which at the start of the message eg.[Prt1/2] at the start of the message. This already happens in jsms so i guess it shouldn't be to hard to update.

I was going to say this wouldn't be necessary if Sam cracks the new way o2 send them as just one, but I forgot about non o2 users :o

cormie wrote: »
    I was going to say this wouldn't be necessary if Sam cracks the new way o2 send them as just one, but I forgot about non o2 users :o
    i have it cracked already and mobile users can already get 800 characters in a message (the limit i set in the text box myself)

i'm just putting the finishing touches on a new release that includes that and a few other small fixes

edit: did i forget to mention that :P

btw, mobile users can now send 800 chars in one message on o2

Cool stuff :) well done!

Will the new release be cormie friendly (not freezing the desktop) or will I have to update a special way? :)

• Advertisement

Cool stuff :) well done!

Will the new release be cormie friendly (not freezing the desktop) or will I have to update a special way? :)
    The new release won't freeze the desktop and it won't take the focus when it's finished sending either

And the confirmation text works again

Great stuff, looking forward to it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    And the confirmation text works again
    Did I miss anything? I know there's a confirmation text feat on the o2 web site, but is there such a thing also in the Cabbage Mobile version?

This was an alternative solution which would send you a text through o2 to confirm that the text you just sent to somebody actually sent and wasn't lingering on the server like it sometimes does. It uses one of your 250 texts and doesn't confirm whether it was actually delivered to the recipient, just that it was sent properly. This was before o2 implemented delivery reports on the site. Perhaps Sam can implement them into cabbage but only time will tell. Fingers crossed ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

o2 webtext is down on the o2 site atm.

I was getting 'invalid login details' on cabbage so decided to check the o2 site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

kaimera wrote: »
    o2 webtext is down on the o2 site atm.

I was getting 'invalid login details' on cabbage so decided to check the o2 site.

Hi

what version are we on V 1.88? I thought since the upgrade of the O2 website Cabbage stopped working. :confused:

Nope Sam got it working again without any need to do anything on the user end. It's just o2 upgrading the site, this message is on the site:
    As part of a continuous plan to improve our online service to you, we are currently upgrading our systems.

but it should be:
    As part of a current plan to improve our online service to you, we are continuously upgrading our systems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Rossmd

How much does a normal text cost for each network from the app?
    Does the cost differ from network to network?
    And is this free when connected to wifi?

Rossmd wrote: »
    How much does a normal text cost for each network from the app?
    Does the cost differ from network to network?
    And is this free when connected to wifi?

It costs about somewhere between 0.5c and 2c depending on your network and data packages etc. It's free over wifi

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,445 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

great app man, only getting round to "about to use it now"

im just wondering, with all the updates, upgrades etc etc do i still go through the link on the first page of this thread?

thanks.

kceire wrote: »
    great app man, only getting round to "about to use it now"

im just wondering, with all the updates, upgrades etc etc do i still go through the link on the first page of this thread?

thanks.

yes you do. i always put the new versions in the same place.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,445 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    yes you do. i always put the new versions in the same place.

thanks, done and dusted, so easy and just sent my first text!
    will read throough the mobile version, and try do that too!

thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Hi Sam

I know is probably a bit much to ask, you know in the new webtext from O2 they have the schedule and draft will Cabbage be able to write to those sections if needed so we can have a schedule message and after get O2 to send it even if PC is off.

Thanks

nava wrote: »
    Hi Sam

I know is probably a bit much to ask, you know in the new webtext from O2 they have the schedule and draft will Cabbage be able to write to those sections if needed so we can have a schedule message and after get O2 to send it even if PC is off.

Thanks

i can't see myself doing the draft thing tbh but cabbage can already schedule texts independent of o2's systems.

Sam, just a quick request before you release the next one, any chance you could have a "hide system tray icon" tickbox somewhere please? :) Should hopefully be easy enough?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Version 1.88

* Changed the way messages are sent slightly because the user's information was being stored in the temporary internet files folder
    * Put a "Signature" button on the "other" form because it was accidentally removed in a previous version
    * Moved the cabbage related files (phone book etc) to the application data folder. Previously, Vista users were forced to run the program in administrator mode because Cabbage was creating files in the program files folder
    * Added an option to store the message history only until the program is shut down
    * Fixed the client side code for sending meteor texts
    * Introduced a new error message "Network site is down. Try again later".
    * Moved the cabbage related files (phone book etc) to the application data folder. Previously, Vista users were forced to run the program in administrator mode because Cabbage was creating files in the program files folder

Are you forcing people to use the application data folder or can they still keep everything self contained within one folder with the exe if they like?

Random wrote: »
    Are you forcing people to use the application data folder or can they still keep everything self contained within one folder with the exe if they like?

Currently it's set to use the appdata folder for everyone but someone asked a while ago to have an option to keep it in the program folder. Thanks for reminding me
    Sam, just a quick request before you release the next one, any chance you could have a "hide system tray icon" tickbox somewhere please? :) Should hopefully be easy enough?

Sure why not

appdata for everyone is a terrible idea .. limits usage and portability between PCs (e.g. on flash drives etc). Be great if you could update it.

cool thanks :)

Yeah, what's the story with the App Data/Program Files duplicate? Are they both the same files?

Random wrote: »
    appdata for everyone is a terrible idea .. limits usage and portability between PCs (e.g. on flash drives etc). Be great if you could update it.
    appdata for everyone is what most programs do no? Ones that weren't designed to be portable of course

@cormie, the only thing that's used in program files is cabbage.exe. All the rest are just left over from old versions

Might be what most programs do but it bugs the hell outta me. I can't chat to Mr Bill Gates directly so I'm starting with you Vimes. Once I control your programming habits I shall move up the chain :)

Unless you had 2 different versions? A portable "admin" cabbage and a shared cabbage or am I way off? :P

there's no need for that. I can put it in as an option

No point fixing something if it aint broke ;) I'm not even sure what it'd mean anyway so don't mind me :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭ronano

ok few questions

1. with the aul' fiddling with cabbage,will the desktop version still work?
    2. Whats the cheapest o2 mobile i can buy to slap cabbage on?

Advertisement