Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cabbage Desktop / Cabbage Mobile mega thread (Desktop/mobile texting app)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

ronano wrote: »
    ok few questions

1. with the aul' fiddling with cabbage,will the desktop version still work?
    2. Whats the cheapest o2 mobile i can buy to slap cabbage on?

1. Ah yeah. I do everything i can to make sure it all works before i release new versions and the old versions are left up in case i muck it up

2. Any nokia or sony ericsson should be fine. I wouldn't be able to guarantee anything on other makes because i don't have any to test on.

The only sony ericsson that people have reported problems with is the c902 and i have a separate version for it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭ronano

thanks sam

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Cabbage is a great piece of work, Sam.
    It is a pity that the O2 website is so unreliable that Cabbage then becomes unusable for much of the time.

i think it's funny that the weak point of a program made by an amateur in his spare time with a few months java experience is the website of a multi national corporation

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

haha :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Somehow O2 manage to make it worse everytime they "improve" it. They been at it for years. They should just give up, and leave it to third parties at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Hi Sam

Another request from me, I have problems to send some text to international numbers like in Spain with O2, for those txt I use Blueface.ie, would it be possible to add Blueface in the list of providers. Is not free but as I have an account is handy for me.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭cianr

Hi Sam,

Just back from my hols in India - being able to stay in touch with home with Cabbage was a life saver! Thankyou so much!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Is there any way to remove the "sent from cabbage" at the end of the sent text?

Great programme - just installed it there on my N95!

BostonB wrote: »
    Somehow O2 manage to make it worse everytime they "improve" it. They been at it for years. They should just give up, and leave it to third parties at this point.

I'll look into adding blueface support

• Advertisement

besty wrote: »
    Is there any way to remove the "sent from cabbage" at the end of the sent text?

I'm very very confused. Cabbage doesn't add that or anything to the end of messages. Maybe you're thinking of JSMS, which i think does add something

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭andy0

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    i think it's funny that the weak point of a program made by an amateur in his spare time with a few months java experience is the website of a multi national corporation

Maybe you should report it to the Police

I'll send an sms to the world
    I hope that someone gets my
    message in a bottle

• Registered Users Posts: 4,708 ✭✭✭serfboard

andy0 wrote: »
    Maybe you should report it to the Police

message in a bottle

surely the last line should read:

message from my mobile ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭andy0

I think the bottle's faster than the website at the moment

ba-dum-dish

oh you witty people

i bought the cheapest mobile and slapped cabbage onto it,it means my gfs bill goes from 45 pound a month to 2 pound month. Oh sam you're a star

Ah the oul "gal in the UK" scenario? :) What phone did you buy?

nokia 2600 on 02

New error all of a sudden, something about -13 runtime error mismatch? O2 site seems fine..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

fab application both for desktop and mobile - I have just installed it on my 3 phone which has a monthly data allowance and used it to send texts from my main O2 phone number for free.

Great Job, I have happily made a donation. Thank you.

cormie wrote: »
    New error all of a sudden, something about -13 runtime error mismatch? O2 site seems fine..

does that message appear in the textbox at the bottom of the program or in a message box?

or does the -13 appear in the text box and runtime error mismatch appear in a message box?

iirc -13 means that the exe that's sending the message waited 60 seconds for a response and didn't get one so it failed.

i'd say it's most likely just the o2 website being intermittently crap but there might be more to it. is the error constant now or does it only happen sometimes?

• Advertisement

I think that's just happened one time, and there was a pop up box yup, I forget if the -13 was in the popup or at the bottom of the program window, but there was a continue running scripts yes/no box with it I think.

It's fine now, but a few times yesterday again texts wouldn't send first time.

Would it be possible to have a pop up box every time it fails to send as I thought one sent there yesterday after I typed it and clicked send and maximised firefox again, then I just forgot about it and about 40 mins or an hour later I went to the desktop to see it hadn't sent, and it was a reply to somebody about meeting them :o

I think that's just happened one time, and there was a pop up box yup, I forget if the -13 was in the popup or at the bottom of the program window, but there was a continue running scripts yes/no box with it I think.

It's fine now, but a few times yesterday again texts wouldn't send first time.

Would it be possible to have a pop up box every time it fails to send as I thought one sent there yesterday after I typed it and clicked send and maximised firefox again, then I just forgot about it and about 40 mins or an hour later I went to the desktop to see it hadn't sent, and it was a reply to somebody about meeting them :o

sure why not. i'll make it an option though because that'd wreck my head :D

Yeah, I suppose it's different when it's attached to the desktop and you can't see any flashing taskbar or anything :)

Am I the only one using it attached to the desktop I wonder? It's so much slicker :D

Yeah, I suppose it's different when it's attached to the desktop and you can't see any flashing taskbar or anything :)

Am I the only one using it attached to the desktop I wonder? It's so much slicker :D

i'd say most people don't even know about most of the options tbh unless they read the thread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

Can I suggest you put the error codes and a message in a lookup file with the application somewhere, so instead of saying it failed to send (-5), it would give helpful text on things people could try (eg for -5 they might need to check firewall, or tick the send through server option etc). That would make it alot more user friendly, and would seem to require relatively small changes in the code.

Hmmm, I think I corrected the instructions you gave me in the PM at about 9am and at about 9.17am I sent a text that was I think 3 texts long, it was marked as sent by cabbage but the recipient only got the first one and on the o2 site, where it shows sent texts (even from cabbage) it only showed the one:confused:

Hmmm, I think I corrected the instructions you gave me in the PM at about 9am and at about 9.17am I sent a text that was I think 3 texts long, it was marked as sent by cabbage but the recipient only got the first one and on the o2 site, where it shows sent texts (even from cabbage) it only showed the one:confused:

i see :D

go back to the old one for the moment. i'll have to fix that

Drakar wrote: »
    Can I suggest you put the error codes and a message in a lookup file with the application somewhere, so instead of saying it failed to send (-5), it would give helpful text on things people could try (eg for -5 they might need to check firewall, or tick the send through server option etc). That would make it alot more user friendly, and would seem to require relatively small changes in the code.

the errors are generally fairly self explanatory:

-1 invalid login

-2 couldn't contact network site

-5 is a toughy and can't really be more explanatory. it usually means that the sending script got half way through the process of sending but then failed for some reason

-6 program generated error. this mostly means that the program completely failed to connect to the internet. this is usually a firewall error and could be worded better

-13 timeout accessing network site

-9 network site down. this will only appear when i manually edit the scripts to make it appear

so i will change the text for -6 but i can't really make -5 any better because so many things could cause it

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    i see :D

go back to the old one for the moment. i'll have to fix that

The new address has worked for sending more than 1 text, just that time it didn't for some reason. Do you think the old address wouldn't have had the same problem?

• Advertisement

The new address has worked for sending more than 1 text, just that time it didn't for some reason. Do you think the old address wouldn't have had the same problem?

i don't know for sure if the version on the other site i linked you to is right but the main one definitely is. if the problem was the new link then it won't happen on the old one but if it was o2's problem it'll still happen

but the fact that it never happened before and happened the first day with the new link says to me that it's a problem with the script

Advertisement