Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cabbage Desktop / Cabbage Mobile mega thread (Desktop/mobile texting app)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I'm not sure if it's ever happened before, don't think so :)

But I've changed it back anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭wasim21k

can some one post list of compatible mobile phones please....
    coz i m about buy mobile for wife but also want to have this sms app on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

wasim21k wrote: »
    can some one post list of compatible mobile phones please....
    coz i m about buy mobile for wife but also want to have this sms app on it.

in theory any j2me compatible phone is compatible but there are some phones it doesn't work on. generally any new nokai or sony ericsson is fine

what phone were you thinking of?

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭wasim21k

well its really not very imporant coz i want her to have some mobile with free txt, she is non stop txter, so i just want to have any mobile phone with cabbage installed and working but off course not n95;) or hi end mobile.

More oddities,
    sent 2 texts fine this morning, now I'm trying to send one and first time I got
    error-1 invalid login details, now a pop up saying runtime error 70, permission denied, pressed ok and the whole program just closed:confused:

EDIT: Just checked the o2 site and that text actually sent 3 times the first time when I got error-1 and it sent once when It said runtime error 70. All 4 are marked as delivered on the o2 website.

• Advertisement

Just opened it up again there and tried to send another text and got an error-12 unknown error now :(

Edit: Ah, I notice I've used up all my webtexts, I think every time I've used my webtexts, I've always gotten this error with cabbage

The o2 website has no record of the one I just sent so guessing it didn't get through at all.

The o2 site has been working fine in the duration of all the above errors.

the new version is now ready (i hope :P)

i've decided that i've imposed on Cabaal's server for long enough so i'm going to gradually migrate everything to my new website:

www.cabbagetexter.com

you can download the new version from there. let me know if it still has all those errors.

cool stuff, I downloaded, noticed the system tray icon is gone :D and then click "show popup if sending fails", wrote myself a text, sent it, opened up notepad and started typing (to see if it still did that thingy) and then I got a popup saying error-1 invalid login details.... but then my phone got the text:o

cormie wrote: »
    cool stuff, I downloaded, noticed the system tray icon is gone :D and then click "show popup if sending fails", wrote myself a text, sent it, opened up notepad and started typing (to see if it still did that thingy) and then I got a popup saying error-1 invalid login details.... but then my phone got the text:o

i never updated the new scripts to handle the case where you're out of texts. i'll do that now but at least it's working again

btw, the systray icon will appear if the program is minimised

and if you have it set to show a popup when sending fails it will take the focus. there's not much point in adding the popup if it doesn't pop up :)

Cool, do I need to download again to check the new script? I'll check the focus thing with the popup disabled. That's cool about the minimise thing. Can't minimise the desktop version but it's always on the desktop which is just the way I like it :D

• Advertisement

Cool, do I need to download again to check the new script?
    nope, it's fixed now

for anyone who's interested, the source code for everything is now up on the new website, i.e:

Cabbage desktop
    Cabbage mobile
    The web based scripts
    The sending scripts

Degally, seems to be working poifect now! Tried with pop ups enabled and disabled and the cursor didn't jump when it sent at all and no problems sending with charged message either! Now what else was I bugging you about for it? Excellent, just tested more than 160 characters and it arrives as one text with o2 now!! that's great :) Sent 2x160's and then a few more, so showed up as 3 on cabbage and arrived as 1!

I also see you added a delete current contacts part too :)

I've been testing it out for 5 mins now and I think it's a bit buggy. Gonna try and figure it out, but the first time I chose delete current contacts, it deleted them, and even though the CSV file I used had EVERY contact, it only added the contacts I didn't have, and deleted the rest, so my cabbage phonebook only contained the new entries. Then I did it again, and it deleted the new entries and put back all the old ones (this is using the same CSV file).. so I think cabbage doesn't import the ones it already has or something, and only leaves you with the rest:confused:

Ok tried the import function more, and decided to click off "delete current contacts" and it then added them all fine, then I decided to change the CSV file and add another number and edit a number, imported with delete selected and it asked me did I want to overwrite the number I changed, I said yeah, then it asked me did I want to overwrite every single number individually, yes or no, so I had to hold enter for a while before it got through them all. After all that I just ended up with the first entry in my phonebook and the new one.. not the one I changed.

Perhaps if you just made it delete the whole phonebook and import from the csv overwriting absolutely everything?

EDIT: Ok, I just tried it again with the proper CSV (not the one I changed a number with etc) and this was when I only had the made up number and the first entry in the phone book, and I imported the proper CSV file, thing is, I forget if I had selected delete or not, but when I imported, the whole book was imported and the new made up entry was deleted, so it seemed to work perfect..

Excellent, just tested more than 160 characters and it arrives as one text with o2 now!! that's great :) Sent 2x160's and then a few more, so showed up as 3 on cabbage and arrived as 1!
    it says 3 on cabbage because it takes 3 off your allowance on o2
    I've been testing it out for 5 mins now and I think it's a bit buggy. Gonna try and figure it out, but the first time I chose delete current contacts, it deleted them, and even though the CSV file I used had EVERY contact, it only added the contacts I didn't have, and deleted the rest, so my cabbage phonebook only contained the new entries. Then I did it again, and it deleted the new entries and put back all the old ones (this is using the same CSV file).. so I think cabbage doesn't import the ones it already has or something, and only leaves you with the rest:confused:

when you chose delete current contacts, did it pop up telling you it backed them up and give a location? and were all the contacts actually in that location?

you're right, cabbage doesn't import the ones it has but deleting the contacts first should mean it doesn't have any. the program caches the contacts though so that might be interfering with it. i've made a small change to force it to clear the cache before importing so download it again and give it another shot

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Hey Sam, thanks for adding the option to make the application portable, works great with the USB software on portableapps.com, the only problem I'm getting is that all day I have Error -13 on a vodafone account. Any suggestions? I've tried all the various servers with no luck.

ned78 wrote: »
    Hey Sam, thanks for adding the option to make the application portable, works great with the USB software on portableapps.com, the only problem I'm getting is that all day I have Error -13 on a vodafone account. Any suggestions? I've tried all the various servers with no luck.

click more->manage servers and if this server isn't there, add it and tick it:

http://cabbagetexter.com/send.php

and in your firewall you might have to allow a program called cabbagesender.exe access to the internet.

-13 means that the main program timed out waiting for cabbagesender.exe so it's likely to be a firewall problem

Probably a firewall so Sam, as I'm on a work network. The old version did work, but I'm guessing that was on a different port.

Probably a firewall so Sam, as I'm on a work network. The old version did work, but I'm guessing that was on a different port.

no it's on the same port. the method of sending is the same, it's just the file name that's different so it wouldn't be the work firewall blocking it, it'd be the one on your computer that prevents programs from accessing the internet

edit, try this:

find the file cabbagesender.exe, whether it's in %appdata%\cabbage or you've set it to be in the cabbage folder. open a command prompt, cd into the directory and run the command:

cabbagesender.exe update

wait a few seconds and see if a called called upresult appears in the directory. open it and see if it says 1.90 beta in it. if it does, then the firewall isn't the problem

Brilliant Sam, all working again. Fantastic app, especially now that it can live on my pen drive too!

• Advertisement

Brilliant Sam, all working again. Fantastic app, especially now that it can live on my pen drive too!

was it the firewall or did it just start working?

It was the firewall Sam.

Great Sam, csv importer seems to be working fine now and everything else too. Great work :) What a program!

Great Sam, csv importer seems to be working fine now and everything else too. Great work :) What a program!

well the code's up on the website now so you can view it all for yourself if you want and even make your own additions :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I installed the latest beta.

Attempt to send test text to myself I got this:
    cabbnz7.jpg
    w354.png

Will try to see if I can find the issue. On XP SP2

edit Removed everything and installed fresh, still issue.
    Installed on my D: which was fine earlier, will try C:

Nope, that didn't work either. Installed 1.86 again after removing all cabbage files (luckily I kept.book.txt) and that worked fine again. Phew :-)

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    well the code's up on the website now so you can view it all for yourself if you want and even make your own additions :)

I'd probably get a bit lost :o

Seems just fine the way it is anyway, thanks again :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭KStaford

Sam

Folks like you who create apps that are really useful and give em away free as well as source code etc are simply Brilliant!

Many thanks for Cabbage, It's almost a killer app you know.

biko wrote: »
    I installed the latest beta
    Will try to see if I can find the issue. On XP SP2

edit Removed everything and installed fresh, still issue.
    I nstalled on my D: which was fine earlier, will try C:

tell me, does the interface unfreeze after 60 seconds or does it crash as soon as you click ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It didn't freeze but when I clicked OK or X it shut down the program. I started it again and same thing happened.

Great app though! (I know latest was beta so that's why I put up screenshot)

• Advertisement

biko wrote: »
    It didn't freeze but when I clicked OK or X it shut down the program. I started it again and same thing happened.

Great app though! (I know latest was beta so that's why I put up screenshot)

i've uploaded an exe for testing:
    http://cabbagetexter.com/cabbage.exe

download the file and replace the file c:\program files\cabbage\cabbage.exe with it

when you click send a message box with the number 2 will appear in it, then 3, then 4 etc. let me know the last number you see.

if you get to 11, the next box will warn you to take note of the following one, so do so :)

it should say:
    c:\Documents and settings\<username>\Application data\cabbage\cabbagesend.exe <your phone number> <your password> <your network> <dest num> "message"

post up what it says please. but remember to replace your phone number and password with generic values first :)

but if you notice anything wrong with the way your phone number or password is appearing let me know. btw does your password have a space in it?

btw, the 13 msgbox should pop up once a second because it's wating for cabbagesender.exe to return

Advertisement