Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cabbage Desktop / Cabbage Mobile mega thread (Desktop/mobile texting app)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭KStaford

Trying out the java version now. When you use it, you get a net access warning from windows mobile. You have to select "ask me next time" or "ask me next session". Is there a way to get rid of this ?

EDIT: See attached screen shots, this is what I'm talking about. Any way to get rid of these annoyances? they popup everytime you use the midlet.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

KStaford wrote: »
    Trying out the java version now. When you use it, you get a net access warning from windows mobile. You have to select "ask me next time" or "ask me next session". Is there a way to get rid of this ?

yes there is a way. i could buy a certificate for the app and sign it but they cost a few hundred euro. want to lend me it? :P

ah gotcha

actually, Id certainly be willing to contribute for a cert if others were willing to chip in also.

ah gotcha

actually, Id certainly be willing to contribute for a cert if others were willing to chip in also

it'd be nice but it's an awful lot of money to just to get rid of the prompt and since i've made about €30 off donations since i put the link up 6months or so ago it'd take a while :D

BTW Sam, what did you write the desktop app in? was it c++? I'd be very interested in porting it to C# for Windows Mobile. Do you think that'd be a goer, would you be willing to give me your blessing?

• Advertisement

BTW Sam, what did you write the desktop app in? was it c++? I'd be very interested in porting it to C# for Windows Mobile. Do you think that'd be a goer, would you be willing to give me your blessing?

it's in visual basic 6.0. i don't know how easy it'd be to port to windows mobile or even if it'd be possible but fire away. let me know if you have any problems with the code or even any suggestions :)

i didn't go so far as to comment the code or make it in any way readable and it's a bit of a mess so good luck :)

yeah I used to do a lot of work with vb6 so I'd know my way around installing Visual Studio 6 etc (ah the memories). Would you mind sending me the vb6 project so I could get at your source? is it already on the website ?

yeah I used to do a lot of work with vb6 so I'd know my way around installing Visual Studio 6 etc (ah the memories). Would you mind sending me the vb6 project so I could get at your source? is it already on the website ?

it's all up there

http://cabbagetexter.com/source.php

ahha

say no more, I just found it on your website (sorry) - also check your email;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,177 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    Invest in your own domain name sam?

• Advertisement

ahha

say no more, I just found it on your website (sorry) - also check your email;)

i saw that alright :) thanks a lot for that
    jmccrohan wrote: »
    Invest in your own domain name sam?

i've had it for a while actually. i had to get it a while ago because my o2 script wouldn't work on cabaal's server and i had it on a friend's one. he got rid of his hosting so i had to get my own :(

so for the past few months all requests for o2 have just been forwarded straight onto that site

as far as I know Sam

The Windows Mobile (WM) 6.1 api/sdk allows us access to sms bit. So imagine a scenario where you could send your texts from cabbage and then it places them in the WM SMS Sent Items folder along with all your other texts, or perhaps a context menu in WM Sms "Send via Cabbage" etc etc. I'm foaming at the mouth right now:):pac::eek:

as far as I know Sam

The Windows Mobile (WM) 6.1 api/sdk allows us access to sms bit. So imagine a scenario where you could sent your texts from cabbage but place them in the WM SMS Snet Items folder along with all your other texts, or perhaps a context menu in WM Sms "Send via Cabbage" etc etc. I'm foaming at the mouth right now:):pac::eek:

now that would be fantastic. i know you can do an awful lot more with wm and symbian but i never got into it because i wanted it to work on as many phones as possible. but if you want to use my java code as a base for it you're welcome to it

you can also get access to wm contacts etc etc. I'm downloading the Visual Stusio 6.0 ISO from MSDN as we speak

you can also get access to wm contacts etc etc.
    that'd be handy. it's very annoying not to be able to access the contacts. unless someone know of a way i can do it in j2me?

btw, you should take a look at the most important part of the desktop program.

click more->manage phone book->add new and in the "Number" text box type: show me the pic please

:)

ka ka ka ka - cabbage has its very own easter egg. weyhey

the hosting for my new website seems to be down. i can't even get to their website to complain :D

people on older version won't have to do anything to get it to work for the moment but people who downloaded v1.90 will have to go into more->manage servers and tick http://cabaal.org/cabbage/send.php

as i said above, the o2 script doesn't work on cabaal's hosting so those requests are currently being forwarded onto dal's AFT server but i'm sure he won't mind :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,177 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

as i said above, the o2 script doesn't work on cabaal's hosting so those requests are currently being forwarded onto dal's AFT server but i'm sure he won't mind :)
    Have o2 blocked cabaal's site?

jmccrohan wrote: »
    Have o2 blocked cabaal's site?

i don't think so, it never worked. on cabaal's site all https requests have to go through a proxy and it just doesn't send anything back to the script

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

i've uploaded an exe for testing:
    http://cabbagetexter.com/cabbage.exe

download the file and replace the file c:\program files\cabbage\cabbage.exe with it

when you click send a message box with the number 2 will appear in it, then 3, then 4 etc. let me know the last number you see.

if you get to 11, the next box will warn you to take note of the following one, so do so :)

it should say:
    c:\Documents and settings\<username>\Application data\cabbage\cabbagesend.exe <your phone number> <your password> <your network> <dest num> "message"

post up what it says please. but remember to replace your phone number and password with generic values first :)

but if you notice anything wrong with the way your phone number or password is appearing let me know. btw does your password have a space in it?

btw, the 13 msgbox should pop up once a second because it's wating for cabbagesender.exe to return
    Hi
    No my password is like "abcd", no spaces.

I got to 11 and then it said take notice and then this:
    cabbbc1.jpg
    w715.png

I'm sending it to myself, numbers and password blocked. v is Vodafone I take it. So it looks as you said.

was that the last message box that popped up before te error or did it continue onto 12 and 13?

and 1 should have popped up after 12 because i put it in the wrong place :P

and what time did you do this at? the cabbagetexter server was down until a few minutes ago.

btw everyone, the server's back up so don't bother about any changes

I did it just before posting before.

The message box after that was the same as above
    cabbnz7.jpg
    Then nothing.

edit, I tried just now 12.04. Same result as above.

biko wrote: »
    I did it just before posting before.

right so just to be 100% sure, it popped up with "c:\documents......."
    then immediately did the runtime error 5 box, then the program crashed. and 12 didn't pop up. is that right?

tell me, if you go into c:\documents and settings\<username>\application data\Cabbage

is there a file called cabbagesender.exe there?

and if there is could you try this for me, open a command promt and cd into that directory. then type:

cabbagesender.exe 0871234567 password v 0871234567 hello

but replace the info with your own of course. what should happen is about ten seconds later a file called result should appear in that directory with a number in it and that number should be the amount of messages you have left. and you should get a text saying hello

let me know if it works or what happens please

Cabbagesender is not in dir C:\Program Files\Cabbage
    It's in dir C:\Program Files\Cabbage\backup

This is from using the installer package from your website. You still want me to CMD?

i just thought of something that might be the problem. could you download http://cabbagetexter.com/cabbage.exe again and try it please?

i'm thinking that it's not working because of the spaces in documents and settings so i've put quotes around it and it should now say:

"c:\documents and settings\<username>\application data\cabbage\cabbagesender.exe" 0871234567 password v 0871234567 hello

biko wrote: »
    Cabbagesender is not in dir C:\Program Files\Cabbage
    It's in dir C:\Program Files\Cabbage\backup

This is from using the installer package from your website. You still want me to CMD?

did you mean to say c:\documents and settings instead of c:\program files? it's not supposed to be in program files.

but try the new exe first anyway

and if cabbagesender.exe isn't in c:\documents and settings\...... there's no point doing the cmd. i'll take a look now as to why that might be happening

and if the spaces are the problem, the reason i never spotted it is because micro$oft decided to move documents and settings to c:\users\<username>\appdata\roaming in vista. why can't they just leave stuff alone:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭ronano

Off topic:

anyone know of cheap ways to ring uk mobile from homephone/irish mobile or irish homephone/mobile from a uk mobile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭timmy69

no minimise button? no system tray icon? :(

Advertisement