Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cabbage Desktop / Cabbage Mobile mega thread (Desktop/mobile texting app)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

After about 3 timeouts, it finally went on maybe the 3rd or 4th try, I checked the delivery reports and it had actually been sent and delivered twice:o

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Stoned Hippy

It happens every time unforunately.

When I try to check for updates I get a run time errror '-214669211 (800C0005)' if that helps at all??

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

cormie wrote: »
    After about 3 timeouts, it finally went on maybe the 3rd or 4th try, I checked the delivery reports and it had actually been sent and delivered twice:o

that -13 timeout isn't the most scientific thing. the program basically launches the exe for sending and if it hasn't reported back in 60 seconds it gives the -13 error and kills the exe. but it's possible that the message did send.

so i've made a small change i want you to test. i don't want to put the change in the general release yet so you can get it here:
    http://cabbagetexter.com/cormie/Cabbage_Setup_1.91.exe

the differences are it'll wait 6 minutes instead of 60 seconds and in case you get bored waiting, when you click send a button appears that says "Stop waiting" and if you click it it'll give a -13 timeout and kill the other exe

It happens every time unforunately.

When I try to check for updates I get a run time errror '-214669211 (800C0005)' if that helps at all??

give this a try for me please:

click start->run->type cmd and press enter

if you're on xp type:
    cd "c:\documents and settings\<username\Application data\Cabbage"
    and on vista type:
    cd "c:\Users\<username\Appdata\Roaming\Cabbage"

then type:
    cabbagesender.exe update

does it create a file called upresult in that directory after a few seconds?

I'm afraid it doesn't, after about 20-30 seconds I get the runtime error but no file in that folder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I'm using 1.88 and it stopped working for about 10 mins but it ok again now.

• Advertisement

I'm afraid it doesn't, after about 20-30 seconds I get the runtime error but no file in that folder.

No that's good :) that means the problem is most likely that it's being blocked by your firewall. Go into it and add cabbagesender.exe as an exception

I'm not running a firewall, i'm behind a proxy though.

I downloaded 1.86 just to test it and it didn't work, once again it never asked me for my proxy details like it used to.

I then opened up IE (I usually use firefox) and it didn't ask me for my login details either so I checked my connection settings and deleted a couple of extra dial up connections I had. IE then started asking me for my details again and worked fine.
    I tried 1.86 again and low and behold it worked first time, sending a test message to myself.

I then re installed 1.91 and tried to send a message. This time, unlike last time, it asks me for my login info but then still gives me a -16 error everytime (I tried resending about 10 times).
    It will let me check updates however, saying I have the latest version.

And I just changed servers and it's working fine!! sms.donutsoft.net wasn't working but caball.org is!!

Thanks for a great program and all your help!

And I just changed servers and it's working fine!! sms.donutsoft.net wasn't working but caball.org is!!

Thanks for a great program and all your help!

right so that explains it :)

you should use the server: http://cabbagetexter.com/send.php

if cabaal works it should work too and it'd be faster because the cabaal script actually just redirects to the cabbagetexter one in the background

just thought o2 customers should know that o2 are kind of cheating them out of webtexts. if you send more than 160 characters it's not as simple as 320=2 messages, 480=3 messages etc. this is the way it goes:

up to 160=1 message
    up to 306=2 messages (should be 320)
    up to 459=3 messages (should be 480)
    up to 612=4 messages (should be 640)

basically after losing 14 characters in the second message, you lose another 7 characters for each subsequent message

my script kept reporting the wrong number of messages left because i just assumes it was 160 characters per message. took a while to figure out that odd system. it's fixed now anyway

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭brendanuk

do the messages contain something like "page 1 of 3" when sent?

brendanuk wrote: »
    do the messages contain something like "page 1 of 3" when sent?

if you are sending 3 messages worth, ie 480 characters then yes they contain (1/3) but if you don't want that click more->configuration and untick "Include message numbers in long messages"

No more errors since that update Sam :)

Maybe a permanent feature?

No more errors since that update Sam :)

Maybe a permanent feature?
    good :)

I am going to leave it in but with a few minor changes, it'll be a bit neater, it'll only pop up after it's been waiting 60 seconds and it'll warn you that the message might have sent when you click it

By the way, if it ever happens you should click more->extras->O2 delivery reports to see if it actually sent

And i'd say that's a much better way of making sure a text sent than using the confirmation text too

Oh yeah, there's absolutely no need for the confirmation text now that o2 do delivery reports which is great :) Is confirm still useful for voda/meteor users? I don't use confirm or add sig at all now :o

It's not intrusive to have the "stop sending" there from the minute you click send, this could also be a nice way to cancel a text rather than closing the program if you realise the second you send it that you sent it to the wrong person or something?

When you said "and it'll warn you that the message might have sent when you click it" do you mean that in the brief time it took you to click it, it could have sent the message. Like if you weren't to click it, how long would it take to stop showing "stop sending"?

Oh yeah, there's absolutely no need for the confirmation text now that o2 do delivery reports which is great :) Is confirm still useful for voda/meteor users? I don't use confirm or add sig at all now :o
    it would be useful for them yes but i think it was only o2 that ever waited hours before sending them. i don't know if anyone uses add sig :D

It's not intrusive to have the "stop sending" there from the minute you click send, this could also be a nice way to cancel a text rather than closing the program if you realise the second you send it that you sent it to the wrong person or something?
    ah you see the problem there is that closing the program doesn't necessarily stop the message from sending. the script on the server could still send it. that's how you kept having that problem where it would send even though it reported a timeout.
    another problem with having it there right away is someone might accidentally hit enter twice and end up cancelling the text but not knowing if it actually sent
    When you said "and it'll warn you that the message might have sent when you click it" do you mean that in the brief time it took you to click it, it could have sent the message. Like if you weren't to click it, how long would it take to stop showing "stop sending"?
    no sometimes the script might not have responded yet even though the message has been sent. if the website was running very slowly, there could be about a minute long window where clicking stop would tell you it failed even though it didn't

Ah ok :)

So that's o2's script/server and nothing can be done about it? It would be nice if there was a Kill button that would intercept the text being sent, just incase :P

So I suppose just a little delay between clicking send/hitting enter and the "stop sending" popping up would sort the risk of cancelling too soon :)

Ah ok :)

So that's o2's script/server and nothing can be done about it?
    not exactly o2's script. it's the script on my server talking to the o2 server. if it's in the middle of a request to the site, shutting down the cabbage program won't necessarily cut it off. but the problem is caused by o2's server being so bad

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Sam just noticed you got yourself a domain name, nice move :)

Cabaal wrote: »
    Sam just noticed you got yourself a domain name, nice move :)

yeah i started to feel a bit guilty stealing all your bandwidth :D

but there are a lot of people who have cabbage still set to your site so i've left a script that redirects all request on to my site if you don't mind

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Maybe this has been discussed before, but how can I use Cabbage from a USB key if the settings are in C:\Users\AppData\Roaming?
    I install it on the key and just copy the six .txt files into the Cabbage folder, will that work?

you can do it by ticking an option but while writing this post i realised there's a bug with the code used to do it so give me a few hours to fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Everything works now but I notice that if I have the program open (minimised to tray) and click on the shortcut I have in my Start menu to open it again I get errors.

Error. Program must quit:Invalid procedure or argument.

If I click OK on that I get

Run-time error '364':
    Object was unloaded.

I click OK and nothing more happens.

If I open it from tray it works grand. It seems it can't use the already open process and crashes when it tries to start a new?

1.90beta on XPsp2

cabbby7.jpg
    w347.png

i've spotted and fixed that :)

i haven't updated the site yet but you should download the new one:
    http://cabbagetexter.com/Cabbage_Setup_1.92.exe

differences:
    • that problem where it crashes if you open it twice. now it'll bring the other instance to the front
    • voipcheap etc is fixed. i have no idea how long it's been broken. i just noticed yesterday :D
    • i fixed the code for making it portable. @BopNiblets, download this version and click more->configuration and tick Keep application data in Cabbage folder. it'll copy all your files to a directory in cabbage's own directory called "cabbagedata". install it to c:\Cabbage and not c:\program files\Cabbage or it won't let you do it because vista's annoying
    • i've made some more descriptive error messages to make it more obvious if the program is being blocked by a firewall
    • if the program has been sending for 30 seconds the "more" button will enable and change to "Stop". if you click it, cabbage will stop attempting to send but be careful using it because if you click stop the message might actually be sent even though it reported failure

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Thanks for that. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭timmy69

Sam Vimes wrote: »

i haven't updated the site yet but you should download the new one:
    http://cabbagetexter.com/Cabbage_Setup_1.92.exe

differences:
    • that problem where it crashes if you open it twice. now it'll bring the other instance to the front
    • voipcheap etc is fixed. i have no idea how long it's been broken. i just noticed yesterday :D
    • i fixed the code for making it portable. @BopNiblets, download this version and click more->configuration and tick Keep application data in Cabbage folder. it'll copy all your files to a directory in cabbage's own directory called "cabbagedata". install it to c:\Cabbage and not c:\program files\Cabbage or it won't let you do it because vista's annoying
    • i've made some more descriptive error messages to make it more obvious if the program is being blocked by a firewall
    • if the program has been sending for 30 seconds the "more" button will enable and change to "Stop". if you click it, cabbage will stop attempting to send but be careful using it because if you click stop the message might actually be sent even though it reported failure

This one acting all strange for me..

timmy69 wrote: »
    This one acting all strange for me..

strange how? if you're on o2, the site is currently down

Sam Vimes wrote: »

it seems i didn't fix it because it just happened to me :rolleyes:

i actually did fix it but then put in a change that broke it again. if you redownload 1.92 it should work again.

but sometimes it can't bring the other instance to the front because another program is holding it. in that case now it'll just pop up a message box telling you so rather than just crashing

Should we redownload from the link above or from the site? :)

• Advertisement

Should we redownload from the link above or from the site? :)

from the link. i haven't changed the site, it's still pointing to 1.91

Advertisement