Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cabbage Desktop / Cabbage Mobile mega thread (Desktop/mobile texting app)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,177 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

You gotta start incrementing those version numbers sam....

I cant keep my phone and laptop up to date with all these updates :P

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

ah yeah i will be updating the version number but i wanted to make the problem known and get the fix out fast without going to the hassle of making sure all the update steps had been done and nothing else had been affected by the change....after a few pints :p

Next time i just won't bother so. No more updates for anyone and you can all blame jmccrohan

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Hmm, think I've noticed cabbage has failed to start at startup twice now, I think!!! Wonder would this be a windows prob or a cabbage prob? Any idea jmccrohan since Sams given up? :pac:

ah go on so i'll help you just this once. But it's on you from now on jmccrohan :P

Did the program give an error or did it just not start at all?
    Were these times one after the other or days apart?
    Were you able to manually start it when it didn't start?

No error, just didn't start
    Days apart
    Yep

:)

It started fine when I booted this morning. I think it's only happened twice and I've been booting my comp a lot lately because I've been cleaning it up/uninstalling etc.

• Advertisement

right so, let me know if it continues. What kind of internet connection do you have btw? Just in case of any future connection problems

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭timmy69

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    you missed something :)

Cabbage sends a request to a script running on my server which actuallly sends the message. Basically cabbage tells the script the phone number, password, network, destination number and message and the script does the rest. The problem here was in the script and i updated it so now it works and you don't have to do anything

Gotcha! :)..oh and thanks for that cabbage mobile catch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

hi sam,
    Just wondering would it be possible in the mobile app to add in a feature that lets you pick your default access point and maybe a back up for when its not available. Eg home wifi then meteor data.

mad.mike wrote: »
    hi sam,
    Just wondering would it be possible in the mobile app to add in a feature that lets you pick your default access point and maybe a back up for when its not available. Eg home wifi then meteor data.

i'm afraid j2me (java mobile) doesn't allow you to do that. symbian does though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

i'm afraid j2me (java mobile) doesn't allow you to do that. symbian does though
    Oh well, i guess i can live with it the way it is. :pac:
    Now that meteor are charging 12 cent a text i even feel better about using this app!

• Advertisement

Not sure if this is a bug, but if you click where the number is in the small version to type in the name, it jumps down to the text input area so you have to reclick the number field to put it in. Also, any chance of only having to click the name once when you mouse over it? :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,177 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Sam, any chance of making the desktop app send the message upon pressing enter providing the recipient details have been entered?

jmccrohan wrote: »
    Sam, any chance of making the desktop app send the message upon pressing enter providing the recipient details have been entered?

Nooo :P

What would happen if you wanted to do this:

This:

and this:

:P

cormie wrote: »
    Nooo :P

What would happen if you wanted to do this:

This:

and this:

:P
    It is fairly standard practice. For example in pidgin:

enter => sends messsage

shift + enter => newline

Same in MSN actually, hmmm, I think I'd prefer having to manually click it though, just incase!

Not sure if this is a bug, but if you click where the number is in the small version to type in the name, it jumps down to the text input area so you have to reclick the number field to put it in.
    I'm not sure what you mean. Are you saying that when you click in the "To" text box the cursor jumps down to the message text box?

but if you click into it a second time it doesn't?

Does it happen when there's a number in the box or when there isn't or both?
    Also, any chance of only having to click the name once when you mouse over it? :)
    that's a bit tricky tbh. If you're typing and the drop down appears you can press the down arrow and move to it to select a name. The problem is that VB can't distinguish between using the arrow keys and clicking so if i set it to do it on one click, as soon as you press the down arrow it'll think you want to use the first name and select it. I could probably work out a very complicated way around the problem but I think i'll leave it as it is
    jmccrohan wrote: »

I always just press alt+s or tab+s and i know i'd end up sending loads of messages accidentally but i might as well make it an option

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

kind of emergency update. i sent someone a joke tonight that consisted of a question followed by the answer. i was very confused when he responded asking me for the answer. turns out that in the latest version of cabbage mobile (note not desktop) if you send a text with a question mark, nothing after the ? is sent. i've uploaded a fix to:
    http://cabbagetexter.com/web/Cabbage_Mobile_1.4.jar.

i haven't updated the site or any of that stuff but i will shortly. update if you want to or just remember that you can't currently send question marks

Strange.:) i can't reproduce that bug with the version I have now, which does not include the fix.

flodis79 wrote: »
    Strange.:) i can't reproduce that bug with the version I have now, which does not include the fix.

very odd :confused:

now i think of it, it's entirely possible i made made the change that caused it after i released the last one and hasn't released the new one yet, meaning i was the only person affected by it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Straight Flush

Is there any reason why Cabbage would not work in another country with a SIM from that country? It could be handy to pay 3.5c or so to text home (e.g. using SMS discount) rather than the pay the local network's international SMS rate.

Thanks for the fantastic program Sam.

Is there any reason why Cabbage would not work in another country with a SIM from that country? It could be handy to pay 3.5c or so to text home (e.g. using SMS discount) rather than the pay the local network's international SMS rate.

Thanks for the fantastic program Sam.

no it should work fine. it's just making a request to my website, being in ireland doesn't make a difference

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭madmoe

Hi lads,
    I LOVE cabbage and have been using it for a good while. Trouble is I have managed to use all my 250 free O2 messages already this month :-(

Am I right in saying I won't get anymore until Jan 1st 2009? Bummer to that.....

Anyhow, does anyone know any good free websites for sending SMS internationally and to Ireland?

Cheers,
    M

madmoe wrote: »
    Hi lads,
    I LOVE cabbage and have been using it for a good while. Trouble is I have managed to use all my 250 free O2 messages already this month :-(

Am I right in saying I won't get anymore until Jan 1st 2009? Bummer to that.....

Anyhow, does anyone know any good free websites for sending SMS internationally and to Ireland?

Cheers,
    M

with o2 you can keep sending texts after your 250 are used up but you get charged. i think it's 10c to anywhere so you'd still save on international texts.

i don't think there's anywhere else that's free but you can sign up to sms discount, low rate voip or voip cheap with a credit card and send worldwide texts for ~3c. cabbage also supports them

Thanx man, have found a few places that are free, VHI page and Oceanfree.net but they seem to have a daily limit. I know I used one years ago and it was great but can I hell think of the website.

Cheers,
    M

Thanx man, have found a few places that are free, VHI page and Oceanfree.net but they seem to have a daily limit. I know I used one years ago and it was great but can I hell think of the website.

Cheers,
    M

just had a look there. the vhi offers free texts :confused: what an odd thing to a health insurer to do.

i know of another one call boltblue but it's one of those subscription things that'll take your credit. does anyone know of one that would offer enough texts for it to be worth me incorporating it? with ten a day from the vhi i wouldn't bother tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

Hey I just downloaded this and wanted to say that it's really great, thanks a million!

I used Boltblue years ago and loved it. I'm gonna keep looking for a good site that offers more than 10 a day.....

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Cheers,
    M

There was one mad one i used to use too years ago, and the texts would come from asia somewhere. I used to use it to send texts all over the world - then it stopped offering the facility. The other odd thing about it was that it might take 24 or 48 hours for the text you send to deliver to the recipient:D
    Pity there's no more out there? or is there?

You'd be better off just getting another sim card and signing up for another online account and sending from that number and saying to reply to your main number ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

How do i import phone numbers from my meteor web page?

• Advertisement

Horgan wrote: »
    How do i import phone numbers from my meteor web page?

on the latest version click more-manage phone book-import from network site

Advertisement