Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cabbage Desktop / Cabbage Mobile mega thread (Desktop/mobile texting app)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    I'm not sure what you mean. Are you saying that when you click in the "To" text box the cursor jumps down to the message text box?

but if you click into it a second time it doesn't?

Does it happen when there's a number in the box or when there isn't or both?

that's a bit tricky tbh. If you're typing and the drop down appears you can press the down arrow and move to it to select a name. The problem is that VB can't distinguish between using the arrow keys and clicking so if i set it to do it on one click, as soon as you press the down arrow it'll think you want to use the first name and select it. I could probably work out a very complicated way around the problem but I think i'll leave it as it is

I always just press alt+s or tab+s and i know i'd end up sending loads of messages accidentally but i might as well make it an option

Sorry haven't got back about this. I'm pretty sure it happens after I've sent a text and I go to the number field to send a text to a new person, I'll check again and confirm what happens :)

That's fine about the clicking, sure a 2nd click is fine! haha

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

thanks very much Sam,

have been running this on my pc in work and laptop at home for a few weeks now, and have only just set it up on my mobile this morning!

sent my first text from my meteor account to my dad on vodafone.......2cents was the cost! happy days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

Anyone know how I can install this on the Samsung Tocco?

I had a Nokia last and I installed AFT easily (it didn't work though), but with my new phone I simply don't know how to do it. In the samsung PC studio after connecting my phone to computer, I don't know where to go. I think it's "Phone Explorer" but even if I paste the application to a folder on my phone from there, it doesn't work. It's not "installing". The problem is I don't know how to install it. There must be a way.

I realise the above is a complete mess so if anyone thinks they can help me, let me know if there's something I can clarify. I've been searching for ways to install things on the net but all I can find is games, and that's a different story AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

moneyman wrote: »
    I had a Nokia last and I installed AFT easily (it didn't work though), but with my new phone I simply don't know how to do it. In the samsung PC studio after connecting my phone to computer, I don't know where to go. I think it's "Phone Explorer" but even if I paste the application to a folder on my phone from there, it doesn't work. It's not "installing". The problem is I don't know how to install it. There must be a way.
    well that would be the wrong way to go about it anyway. copying the application to the phone's memory won't install it. see if there's a specific application installer part of the pc suite like with nokia's
    moneyman wrote: »
    I've been searching for ways to install things on the net but all I can find is games, and that's a different story AFAIK.

no it'd be exactly the same unless samsung have done something very weird. they're all just java applications but games just have a different purpose. a guide for a game would most likely work for cabbage

a quick google suggested that downloading it straight to the phone might work rather than using the pc suite and also that you might have to get the jad instead of the jar. try going to this link on your phone:

http://cabbagetexter.com/mobile/Cabbage_Mobile_1.4.jad

and if that doesn't work, try the same link but with jar instead of jad.

the capital C and M in Cabbage Mobile matter btw. cabbage_mobile_1.4.jad won't work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    the capital C and M in Cabbage Mobile matter btw. cabbage_mobile_1.4.jad won't work

Is there a specific reason for the capitals? It's difficult for people downloading via their phones. Same with the version at the end.

Great app though.. :cool:

• Advertisement

aphex™ wrote: »
    Is there a specific reason for the capitals? It's difficult for people downloading via their phones. Same with the version at the end.

Great app though.. :cool:

yes there is a very good reason. when i first put it up i didn't know that the capitals mattered and if i changed it now it'd confuse things. :)

and the reason for the version is that 1.3, 1.1 and the original Cabbage_Mobile were still available for download for ages after 1.4 was released and now it'd cause hassle to change it. i've seen links to it in several places on the internet and i don't want to break them

although, if you go to http://cabbagetexter.com/dl you'll find it links straight to the latest version ;)

the reason i didn't give him that link is that it points to the jar and he needs the jad

Hi Sam, have you heard of this happening before?

Uh oh, I just used the schedule option for the first time on cabbage and had it scheduled to deliver at 8:30am this morning, it sent and said it sent successfully, then I checked the delivery reports and it said delivered, so I sent myself a test one for 8:30am aswell and it came to my phone straight away, hope I didn't wake the other guy:o

I logged into o2.ie and tested it there and it hasn't come to me yet... they may have updated their scheduler with the new site?

It said on the o2 site, since I've used my 250 texts this month, that I'd be charged 10c for the text. I wonder will I be charged 10c since I'm on o2 release and have all calls and texts free:confused:

EDIT:
    Bollix! I just checked my bill and it appears I've been charged 8c (ex vat) for each text I've sent outside the 250! Arghh! It was free before they update their webtext thingy and was just taken off my o2 release plan, dang.

Also the schedule is working fine on the site, but not on cabbage..

my scheduler is totally separate to o2's so the fact that their's works doesn't mean anything. I used it a few weeks ago and it worked but i'll take a look at it anyway

Are you sure they were free outside your 250 before? I was under the impression people were always charged for them.....

If you want to keep sending free texts after the 250 are gone you could connect your phone to your computer with cable or bluetooth and use the pc suite's texting thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 cavanman.

Anyone having trouble using cabbage on meteor since yesterday evening. When you say yes to allow network access, it immediately says "could not connect to the server". (I've checked the meteor website and its webtexts are working fine). Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭wasim21k

nice problem SAM thanks for that but where is minimize button:confused: can have program all the time open,

cavanman. wrote: »
    Anyone having trouble using cabbage on meteor since yesterday evening. When you say yes to allow network access, it immediately says "could not connect to the server". (I've checked the meteor website and its webtexts are working fine). Thanks.

It's working fine for me. Few questions:
    Is it still not working?

What type of phone do you have?

Might you be out of credit?

Can other java programs access the internet?

wasim21k wrote: »
    nice problem SAM thanks for that but where is minimize button:confused: can have program all the time open,
    press escape :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭okgirl

Quick question and sorry if it is basic but I do think I have missed something simple! I just downloaded cabbage 1.4 on to my SE but when I send a message it is telling me login detail invalid. Where have I gone wrong? I did also notice that I did not have to ppick a network!

I entered my name
    My mobile number
    and my web password.

thanks

okgirl wrote: »
    Quick question and sorry if it is basic but I do think I have missed something simple! I just downloaded cabbage 1.4 on to my SE but when I send a message it is telling me login detail invalid. Where have I gone wrong? I did also notice that I did not have to ppick a network!

I entered my name
    My mobile number
    and my web password.

thanks

open the program and press more->accounts. click on the one you created then press more->edit. on that screen it should ask for a login name (which can be whatever you want), a phone number, a password and a network. most likely you just didn't notice the buttons at the bottom of the screen and it thinks you're on meteor because that's the first one on the list

Sam I have tried this. I am on meteor so shouldn't have mattered. Still got invalid login details. ....just tried again and now it is saying unexpected response format.

Sam I have tried this. I am on meteor so shouldn't have mattered. Still got invalid login details. ....just tried again and now it is saying unexpected response format.

i think it's saying unexpected response format because if you enter your password wrong too many times it forces you to do one of those things where you have to enter the letters in a picture before you can log in again.

so first of all go to the website and log in and enter the letters from the pic if it asks.

how have you put in your phone number and password? you should be putting them in exactly as you would on the meteor website, ie 08xxxxxxxx and not +3538xxxxxxx or anything like that. and the password you use should be the pin your use to log in to the website

Ok I have no problem logging into meteor website. It didn't request letter thingy. I have used my web log in and my number is in as 08....

Still no joy. sorry to reck your head on this.

Ok I have no problem logging into meteor website. It didn't request letter thingy. I have used my web log in and my number is in as 08....

Still no joy. sorry to reck your head on this.

when you pressed more->accounts, was the radio button next to your phone number selected? and if you select it the press more->edit, is your phone number in correctly and the correct network selected? if the wrong info is in there you have to press more->save. if you press accounts it won't save any changes.

could you try deleting the program and reinstalling it?

Excellent! What ever it was has been cleared by uninstalling and reinstalling. Thank you. :):):):):)

• Advertisement

Checking delivery reports just made cabbage crash for me there. It's not the first time it's come to a complete hault either, just this time it didn't load the page at all, other times it would take a minute or two but it would eventually pop it up. What's causing the delay I wonder?

Also, I think cabbage has failed to close a few times when I go to shut down the computer. Usually, the rainlendar calendar I have disappears from the desktop and so does cabbage, but sometimes cabbage doesn't and I'll have to go to start>shutdown again, then it's ok...

EDIT: re-opened program from startup folder and it made a taskbar tab for some reason? It didn't go away until I closed cabbage and reopened again from Startup, no tab this time..

Excellent! What ever it was has been cleared by uninstalling and reinstalling. Thank you. :):):):):)
    Good to hear it :)
    Let me know if you have any more problems with it
    cormie wrote: »
    Checking delivery reports just made cabbage crash for me there. It's not the first time it's come to a complete hault either, just this time it didn't load the page at all, other times it would take a minute or two but it would eventually pop it up. What's causing the delay I wonder?
    What's causing the delay is the o2 website. Just like pretty much every problem that shows up with the program it's caused by that crappy website. The delays are unavoidable but it shouldn't be crashing so i'll fix that
    cormie wrote: »
    Also, I think cabbage has failed to close a few times when I go to shut down the computer. Usually, the rainlendar calendar I have disappears from the desktop and so does cabbage, but sometimes cabbage doesn't and I'll have to go to start>shutdown again, then it's ok...

EDIT: re-opened program from startup folder and it made a taskbar tab for some reason? It didn't go away until I closed cabbage and reopened again from Startup, no tab this time..
    that's a bit more tricky to fix but i'll take a look and see if i can reproduce it and fix it

Cool thanks Sam :)

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭warrenaldo

ive been using it since you started this thread, its fantastic - thanks. ive recommended it to lots who also use it.

warrenaldo wrote: »
    ive been using it since you started this thread, its fantastic - thanks. ive recommended it to lots who also use it.

And who knew when i threw it together in a few hours last october i'd still be working on it today :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Sam, have you heard any problems sending group texts with 1.91?

After selecting the contacts for the group, it starts sending as normal, but most times it sends a few then aborts sending the rest of the texts. It tries to send the text to the first contact every time, even if i haven't selected the contact.

It seems to happen with the version with the 'Stop/Waiting' rather than the other.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,177 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

davton wrote: »
    Sam, have you heard any problems sending group texts with 1.91?

After selecting the contacts for the group, it starts sending as normal, but most times it sends a few then aborts sending the rest of the texts. It tries to send the text to the first contact every time, even if i haven't selected the contact.

It seems to happen with the version with the 'Stop/Waiting' rather than the other.
    I noticed this as well.. I just gave up and used the network site.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

jmccrohan wrote: »
    I noticed this as well.. I just gave up and used the network site.

Were you using the modified version as well, with the 'Stop/Waiting' option?
    I have installed the other 1.91 and haven't had an error as of yet

no one's reported it up to now but then it might just be that no one's been using it. i'll look into it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,177 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

davton wrote: »
    Were you using the modified version as well, with the 'Stop/Waiting' option?
    I have installed the other 1.91 and haven't had an error as of yet
    I cant remember..

As i said before to sam.. It's hard to know what version i have when he rarely updates the version numbers :P

Advertisement