Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cabbage Desktop / Cabbage Mobile mega thread (Desktop/mobile texting app)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

you will. I'll give you the link when i've made the changes

i've put more logging info in now. it's at the same link:

http://cabbagetexter.com/Cabbage_Setup_1.93.exe

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Failed to start again with Windows:

08:01:52 22/01/2009
    Set data path as:C:\Documents and Settings\--\Application Data\Cabbage\
    Moving cabbagesender
    Update from old versions
    Does book file exist?
    yes it does. read it in
    Sort names
    Store names in array
    Delete files from old system before vars.txt
    Finished updating vars.txt
    if vars.txt doesn't exist, create it
    preset method to web texts if not set
    Fix delimiter from old version

i'm 99% sure i've found the problem. there's a part that involves replacing some lines in the login file to update from an old version. what it does is read the file, write the updated text to a new file, delete the old one, then rename the new one to the old name

i had a problem before where deleting the file would take a few seconds so i put in a loop that would wait until it finished deleting it. what i think was happening was deleting the file was failing altogether so the loop waited forever. i've changed it now so the loop keeps trying to delete it until it works

give it a shot anyway
    http://cabbagetexter.com/Cabbage_Setup_1.93.exe

Cool stuff, I'll let you know :)

Any progress with the searching by any part of the name :P (so if you put in "imes" it'll show up "times" and "sam vimes" ;))

• Advertisement

cormie wrote: »
    Cool stuff, I'll let you know :)

Any progress with the searching by any part of the name :P (so if you put in "imes" it'll show up "times" and "sam vimes" ;))

i think i misunderstood what you wanted there. i've changed it so that it can search by any name but not by any part of a name

eg it used to be that if you wanted Sam Vimes you'd have to start with "sa" but now you can also start with "vi". you can't start with "im" though, what you type has to be the start of a name. would you prefer it the other way?

I'm trying to think of reasons for not having it that you can't start with "im" and can't think of any, but some names I have would be something like martintheplumber without spaces, so if I could type plumber and it would come up it would be great :)

I'm trying to think of reasons for not having it that you can't start with "im" and can't think of any, but some names I have would be something like martintheplumber without spaces, so if I could type plumber and it would come up it would be great :)

now i think of it you're right. that makes perfect sense. i've just made the change and you can download it again at the same link :)

it was actually much easier to do it that way. i changed:

If InStr(LCase(book.List(i)), text) = 1 Or InStr(LCase(book.List(i)), " " & text) > 0 Or InStr(numArr(i), text) = 1 Then
    to
    If InStr(LCase(book.List(i)), text) Or InStr(numArr(i), text) = 1 Then

so there ya go :P

when the gmail notification popped up saying you'd replied i was dreading reading the post because i thought you'd be telling me the fix didn't work :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Sweeno

ok really noob question .. i d/l the mobile version of ur cabbage and whenever i try txt it says "subscribe to packet data first" , how do i do this?

really ingenius idea btw, i can see myself using it the whole time

Sweeno wrote: »
    ok really noob question .. i d/l the mobile version of ur cabbage and whenever i try txt it says "subscribe to packet data first" , how do i do this?

really ingenius idea btw, i can see myself using it the whole time

i take it you have a phone such as a nokia 6230i or similar? definitely a nokia anyway

what network are you on? you have to enter settings and i'll post up exactly what to do based on the network you're on

edit:also, it wasn't actually my idea. the first one on here was AFT made by the user dal and then i made my own version for various reasons

• Advertisement

Cool, that search thing is great now, thanks a lot :)

I'm afraid the fix didn't work though :(

I haven't tried with the new version with the new search, but the one before it, it failed to start on the computer boot up :(

Cool, that search thing is great now, thanks a lot :)

I'm afraid the fix didn't work though :(

I haven't tried with the new version with the new search, but the one before it, it failed to start on the computer boot up :(

god damn it :P

can you give me the log the next time it happens?

also can you press ctrl+alt+delete and look at the running processes and see if cabbage.exe is still running?

Will do! I wonder is it the same for anyone else too? Think there's only one other guy who has the desktop version running, whether he starts it with windows is another question though.

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    i take it you have a phone such as a nokia 6230i or similar? definitely a nokia anyway

what network are you on? you have to enter settings and i'll post up exactly what to do based on the network you're on

edit:also, it wasn't actually my idea. the first one on here was AFT made by the user dal and then i made my own version for various reasons

Yep its a nokia 6300 , and im on meteor pay as you go.

Sweeno wrote: »
    Yep its a nokia 6300 , and im on meteor pay as you go.

right so this is what you need to do:

settings->configuration->personal configuration settings->add->web

account name: meteor data
    homepage: http://wap.mymeteor.ie
    username:my
    password:meteor
    use preferred access point:yes

settings->configuration->personal configuration settings->add->access point

account name: meteor data apn
    go into access point settings
    data bearer:gprs (or packet data)
    go into bearer settings
    GPRS access point:data.mymeteor.ie
    authentication type:normal
    username:my
    password:meteor

settings->configuration->personal configuration settings

highlight meteor data and press options->activate
    then do the same for meteor data apn

settings->configuration->default configuration settings
    highlight meteor data and press options->set as default

settings->configuration->activate default in all applications->yes

and it should work :)

Will do! I wonder is it the same for anyone else too? Think there's only one other guy who has the desktop version running, whether he starts it with windows is another question though.

i couldn't say. no one else is reporting it anyway

and it should work :)

Sound!!! , works perfectly! many many thanks !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Does anyone know if its possible to get a list of networks worldwide that allow packet data connections with an O2 sim. I'm on a round the world trip at the moment and I find that when I arrive in a new country I have to go through every network manually to check, this can take ages! Also just got a new phone and I don't know if the gprs settings are wrong or the network I'm on doesnt allow packet connections with O2 but I can't send any cabbage message? It works fine if I select the access point as a wireless router in a hostel.

Does anyone know if its possible to get a list of networks worldwide that allow packet data connections with an O2 sim. I'm on a round the world trip at the moment and I find that when I arrive in a new country I have to go through every network manually to check, this can take ages! Also just got a new phone and I don't know if the gprs settings are wrong or the network I'm on doesnt allow packet connections with O2 but I can't send any cabbage message? It works fine if I select the access point as a wireless router in a hostel.

one way to check would be to go here:
    http://www.o2online.ie/wps/wcm/connect/O2/Home/Explore+Services/Price+plans/Speakeasy+prepay/Travelling+abroad/

if it has a price for wap then it should work

what is the new phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Straight Flush

Data worked for me in Thailand and Malaysia, but not in Vietnam and the UAE.

But the o2 forums says that: "In the absence of full prepay (Camel roaming) availability in a particular country; prepay customers can send & receive sms, receive calls and set up data sessions nonetheless. The only service unavailable is MO calls (i.e. they cannot make calls) in the absence of prepay roaming."

However, if the above were true, data would've worked in all four countries.

• Advertisement

one way to check would be to go here:
    http://www.o2online.ie/wps/wcm/conne...elling+abroad/

if it has a price for wap then it should work

what is the new phone?

Cheers for the link its pretty handy! Even has coverage area maps for whatever countries you select.

I got a Nokia E71, only 300euro in Bangkok. My E61i died the day before I left Bangkok and I had been planning on getting the E71 for a while anyway. Its a pity my E61i didnt die when I was in Hong Kong, could of got it for a lot cheaper there.
    Data worked for me in Thailand and Malaysia, but not in Vietnam and the UAE.

But the o2 forums says that: "In the absence of full prepay (Camel roaming) availability in a particular country; prepay customers can send & receive sms, receive calls and set up data sessions nonetheless. The only service unavailable is MO calls (i.e. they cannot make calls) in the absence of prepay roaming."

However, if the above were true, data would've worked in all four countries.

Yep worked for me in Thailand(DTAC) and Malaysia(Think it was MAXIS, not sure though?) as well. In Vietnam at the moment and tried every network available but still no joy. I'm going to Cambodia and Laos as well but if it doesnt work here then I doubt it will in those much less developed countries. Will just have to live without it till I get back to Thailand.

I got a Nokia E71, only 300euro in Bangkok. My E61i died the day before I left Bangkok and I had been planning on getting the E71 for a while anyway. Its a pity my E61i didnt die when I was in Hong Kong, could of got it for a lot cheaper there.

the e71 shouldn't have any problems. delete your current settings and then get them sent to your phone from this page:

http://www.o2online.ie/Utilities/settings/default.do?wcmArea=/wps/wcm/connect/O2/Home/Explore+Services/Services/Messaging/Picture+messaging

the e71 shouldn't have any problems. delete your current settings and then get them sent to your phone from this page:

http://www.o2online.ie/Utilities/settings/default.do?wcmArea=/wps/wcm/connect/O2/Home/Explore+Services/Services/Messaging/Picture+messaging

I actually tried that but it didnt give the settings for 'O2 GPRS' only the O2 WAP GPRS. I've always just used 'O2 GPRS'.

I actually tried that but it didnt give the settings for 'O2 GPRS' only the O2 WAP GPRS. I've always just used 'O2 GPRS'.

They're the same settings, that's just a name. If you want to confirm the settings are right you can check them against this:
    http://powermyphone.com/gprsmms.php#o2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

Sam, did you do anything to the way Cabbage Mobile sends messages? Since two days, the proper messages left info is left after I send. I got only Unexpected server response the 6 months before that.

flodis79 wrote: »
    Sam, did you do anything to the way Cabbage Mobile sends messages? Since two days, the proper messages left info is left after I send. I got only Unexpected server response the 6 months before that.

I haven't changed anything in either the main desktop release or the mobile version in a few weeks. Are you getting the error "unexpected response format"? What phone do you have and what network?

it's working for me on all networks btw

Haven't had the boot problem since you put out the one with the search thingy, did you definitely link me to the one with the fix just before it? In a way I want it to happen again so we can get it sorted now instead of having to come back and deal with it in a week or two :o

it might have been cached in your browser so when you downloaded it it just took it out of a temp folder. Hopefully it's all good now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

I haven't changed anything in either the main desktop release or the mobile version in a few weeks. Are you getting the error "unexpected response format"? What phone do you have and what network?

E51 with Three. Yes the error you mention above.

Advertisement