Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cabbage Desktop / Cabbage Mobile mega thread (Desktop/mobile texting app)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Random wrote: »
    I've got a similiar problem to him (i.e. the same error message) in the past and I was using it on Vodafone but it appeared to happen randomly.

i just noticed a problem like that earlier today with 00353 and vodafone and i was just about to investigate it :)

that error message is a bit misleading unfortunately because it could mean a few things but i've just finished v1.5 and it's clearer now. i'll be posting about it shortly

is it working now?

anyway, i've finished 1.5. not a whole lot of changes but:
    • on the accounts screen the exit button has been replace with back as requested
    • the accounts now appear in alphabetical order
    • you can add a signature (leave the sig blank not to add one)
    • when sending a group text, the cabbage contact names show up on the "Sending to..." screen instead of just the numbers
    • you can delete recently texted numbers individually instead of just all at once
    • now if you're not sure if a text sent, you can press options->recent texts->find the text in question->press options->view and below the time stamp is the response that was given (eg "Message sent. 200 messages left" or "could not connect to network site"). a problem with this is that if you cut the program off before it finishes sending it won't be stored so you can't restore it when you open the program again. but i thought of that :). on the text screen you can press options->restore last sent and the last message will come back whether you let it finish sending or not
    • the phone numbers for group texts don't show up on the recently texted numbers anymore. if you want to send to the same group, on the send to many screen press options->restore previous

you can try it out at http://cabbagetexter.com/dl1.5

i'm not going to update the website until a few people have tried it out and confirmed it's stable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

It's working now with the 00353.

It's working now with the 00353.

thanks. the sites updated with the new scripts if anyone wants them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

You got around to putting version numbers or datestamps or something into the scripts yet for those who host their own?

You got around to putting version numbers or datestamps or something into the scripts yet for those who host their own?

nope. there are last modified dates on the files and i'm sure anyone who'd brainy enough to use them can spot it ;)

ok but only because you asked so nicely :rolleyes::pac:

if you look here:
    http://cabbagetexter.com/source.php

you'll see a date stamp on the sending scripts and in send.php in the zip file there's a matching date stamp. that'll €500 please ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Hey Sam, been working on editing your script for a few hours now (that's how long it takes me :o) but it seems ok now, check it out here: http://www.vantasks.ie/indextester

I'm not sure what to do with the page it goes to once it sends, and I'm not sure, but what happens if it can't connect and send the text, is there any way to say "sending failed" so they aren't waiting for a callback that I never got the request for :)

That's a pretty nifty little thing anyway, thanks a mill!

cormie wrote: »
    Hey Sam, been working on editing your script for a few hours now (that's how long it takes me :o) but it seems ok now, check it out here: http://www.vantasks.ie/indextester

I'm not sure what to do with the page it goes to once it sends, and I'm not sure, but what happens if it can't connect and send the text, is there any way to say "sending failed" so they aren't waiting for a callback that I never got the request for :)

That's a pretty nifty little thing anyway, thanks a mill!

i'm not sure what would take a few hours tbh. say your phone number is 0871234567, your password is cormie and your network is o2, all you'd have to do is set the first four lines to:

$u="0871234567";
    $p="cormie";
    $s="o"; //v=vodafone o=o2 m=meteor

$d="0871234567";

and that's it :). i just tried it out there and i can see there's an error because your server has safe mode switched on so i've made a small change to get rid of it. upload the files attached to this post.

if it succeeds, it prints "request sent" to the screen. if it fails, it prints "request failed" to the screen or as is happening right now because the o2 website is down, it prints:
    Service Unavailable.

Technical description:
    504 Gateway Time-out - The web server is not responding

if you want something else to happen other than just saying request sent or request failed, find those lines in the file and put whatever you want there.

• Advertisement

Oh I had that part set up easy, but to get rid of one of the boxes, to find out how to stretch the box to fit all the text and to find out how to have text in the box and disappear and then reappear once you click out, that's what took me ages :pac:

Oh I had that part set up easy, but to get rid of one of the boxes, to find out how to stretch the box to fit all the text and to find out how to have text in the box and disappear and then reappear once you click out, that's what took me ages :pac:

ah i see :)

have you uploaded the new one and has it fixed the error?

i just found a small bug in CM where it wouldn't let you save a blank sig. i've fixed the problem now so anyone who's downloaded it since yesterday please download it again

Great, seems to be working perfect now. I used another o2 sim I had instead of my own just for security. Although would I be better off using a vodafone sim so there's not as many failed requests as on the o2 server :rolleyes:

So do I just build a page around it, or it into a page? I'd like a page like this to come up once it's sent with the request sent or request failed in the centre above the price promise.

I deleted some number lines from the config file because I'm only using the one field, the name one, it seems to be working fine anyway :)

Just to let you know, don't is coming to my phone as don\'t.

Great, seems to be working perfect now. I used another o2 sim I had instead of my own just for security. Although would I be better off using a vodafone sim so there's not as many failed requests as on the o2 server :rolleyes:

So do I just build a page around it, or it into a page? I'd like a page like this to come up once it's sent with the request sent or request failed in the centre above the price promise.

I deleted some number lines from the config file because I'm only using the one field, the name one, it seems to be working fine anyway :)

Short answers:
    Yes you would
    I'll explain tomorrow
    And i've found and fixed the bug

Now i'm off to the pub and i'll give you better answers tomorrow :)

Haha cool stuff :) I should be buying you a pint!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,500 ✭✭✭Damien360

Damien360 wrote: »
    I have a small problem with cabbage mobile on a nokia E51 with vodafone. If my recipient number has a 00353 etc I get a "unexpected response format" error and no text is sent. I have tested this and it is repeatable. Now I know the workaround is not to use the 00353 prefix but the vast majority of my numbers are in this format for ease of use when calling from NI for work. Can you generate a fix for this where the prefix is recognised and removed if necessary. Does not work for +44 numbers either but not sure if that is a vodafone problem when texting from a net connection.

Thanks

Sam,

Boy are you fast with a fix. Thanks a million.

Sam, I set it up with vodafone now, and instead of don\'t, I get donö't :o

Sam, I set it up with vodafone now, and instead of don\'t, I get donö't :o

Yeah it's a symptom of the same problem. I know how to fix it and i'll give you the solution in the morning. To get technical, you replace $_GET('name') with stripslashes($_GET('name')) and do the same for POST

Damien360 wrote: »
    Sam,

Boy are you fast with a fix. Thanks a million.

Didn't even spot the bit about +44 numbers in your first post. Vodafone webtexts can only be sent to irish numbers, only o2 webtexts can be sent to non irish numbers

Also you should know that putting 00353 at the start works in most countries but not all (for calls and texts while roaming there. Not just webtexts). For example i don't think you'd be able to call out in america. 00 tells the system "i don't know where the number should be routed so you figure it out". The correct thing that should work everywhere is +353. The + tells the system "put your international dialling code here"

• Advertisement

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    Yeah it's a symptom of the same problem. I know how to fix it and i'll give you the solution in the morning. To get technical, you replace $_GET('name') with stripslashes($_GET('name')) and do the same for POST

Ok cool, not too sure what that means so I'll just wait for the morning :P

Not sure what happened, but about a minute after I turned off my comp last night, I got a text from the Vodafone number I use for it, with what I have written in the box. Was that you? :P

now proper answers :)

yes you'd be better off using any login other than o2 for obvious reasons

i've attached a new one that redirects to that page on your site if it succeeds and an imaginary page called "whateveryourfailedpageis" if it fails that you can update yourself. it's this bit:
    if($res>=0 && $res<=300){
    	header('Location: http://www.vantasks.ie/index.php?page=14');
    	//print '<html><head><meta http-equiv="refresh" content="1;url=http://www.vantasks.ie/index.php?page=14"></head></body></html>';
    }
    else{
    	header('Location: http://www.vantasks.ie/index.php?page=whateveryourfailedpageis');
    	//print '<html><head><meta http-equiv="refresh" content="1;url=http://www.vantasks.ie/index.php?page=whateveryourfailedpageis"></head></body></html>';
    }

in each if statement there are two lines that do pretty much the same thing, one of which is commented. the uncommented way works best because the user never realises he was redirected but it can have problems. if your server prints anything, eg an error report, before the header function is called it'll fail. if that starts to happen, uncomment the commented one and vice versa. it works just as well but the page goes white for a second.

if it comes to needing to do it, you'll most likely only have to do it for the failed case because there wouldn't be any error logs if it succeeds and so no problem

as for the don\'t problem, it's a php oddity that's fixed by the stripslashes function that i have now added at the appropriate places

i also took out reference to the "Phone number" text box because you weren't using it

also, probably a more reliable way to do this would be to have the form email you and then forward your email to your phone but then you'd need a data plan

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Just a few quick questions instead of trawling through 108 pages of posts;

1) Is this a completely free program with unlimited texts?
    2) Can you send a text to multiple people?

it uses the webtexts that are offered on the vodafone, o2 and meteor websites so you get 300, 250 and 300 a month respectively

The desktop one is completely free, with the mobile one you pay about 2c in internet charges unless you have a data add on

You can send texts to multiple people yes. Vodafone and meteor only allow sending to irish numbers and o2 allows you to send anywhere in the world

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Not what I was looking for, is there any program that's the same as yours but with unlimited texts?

Not what I was looking for, is there any program that's the same as yours but with unlimited texts?

None that are free. SMSC's cost money and people aren't going to give it away for free when it's cost them a lot of money :)

actually you can send unlimited free texts to meteor numbers by emailing to 0851234567@mms.mymeteor.ie (obviously replace that number with theirs) but i don't think there's an equivalent for the other networks

Hey Sam,
    That's brilliant! Thanks a million, it's working perfectly even with apostrophes :D

I haven't set up a failed page yet but I'll do that soon, but hopefully vodafone wont fail too much. So I don't have to adjust anything with the commented if's since it worked first time now yeah? That should mean my server takes it ok yeah?

Gav, is it free or convenience you want? With o2, after you've used the 250, you can still send them from your desktop, but you'll be charged 10c a text. If you want to send a ridiculous amount of texts, you could try sign up for O2 release which is 99+VAT a month for unltd calls and texts, you'll need to be self employed though I think.

Sam, for some reason when I go to vantasks, the text box text is spaced out more than it should be, I set the size to fit the text perfectly but sometimes it's distorted for some reason, would you have any clue what that's about?

93311079.jpg

Haha, just got two random texts there off anonymous boardsies :P

• Advertisement

I haven't set up a failed page yet but I'll do that soon, but hopefully vodafone wont fail too much. So I don't have to adjust anything with the commented if's since it worked first time now yeah? That should mean my server takes it ok yeah?
    not necessarily. yesterday when the o2 website wasn't working this was printed out when sending failed:
    Service Unavailable.

Technical description:
    504 Gateway Time-out - The web server is not responding

i didn't tell it to print that, your server did it automatically. so if it fails and your server prints that before the header function is run it'll fail. just something to watch out for.

it might be an idea to uncomment the failed one now because the success one will never have a problem and for those rare occasions that it fails the peopole can live with the white page for a second. remember to comment the corresponding header function though

Sam, for some reason when I go to vantasks, the text box text is spaced out more than it should be, I set the size to fit the text perfectly but sometimes it's distorted for some reason, would you have any clue what that's about?

couldn't tell you tbh. are you using the same browser ?

Advertisement