Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cabbage Desktop / Cabbage Mobile mega thread (Desktop/mobile texting app)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

cormie wrote: »
    Haha, just got two random texts there off anonymous boardsies :P

i sent one saying hello cormie :)

but someone else must be messing with it. i'd say you'll live to regret doing this :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Ah I don't think it'll be too much of a prob :)

Yup, was using same browser on the font issue.

Could you tell me, where exactly are the comments? What do I switch? is it the \\, or the '', or the " " :o

Could you tell me, where exactly are the comments? What do I switch? is it the \\, or the '', or the " " :o

the two lines that start with // are comments. to activate the commented lines delete the // and to comment the header lines, put // at the start

note it's // and not \\ which is something completely different

Cool, that's done now and it's still working perfect so all I need to do now is set up a proper fail page!

fail.jpg

:D

Just got an empty text from someone, bit early but I was awake anyway :pac: I wonder could bots send me texts? Whoever sent this one, their IP is in Ireland so I think it's a real person :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Hey Sam!

Any chance you'd be able to post up a few pointers on how to use eclipse, I'm somewhat familiar with vb6 but can't get my head around eclipse. Just if you could tell me how to get your app to run in it, and how to make a new jar file?

Thanks
    Mike

mad.mike wrote: »
    Hey Sam!

Any chance you'd be able to post up a few pointers on how to use eclipse, I'm somewhat familiar with vb6 but can't get my head around eclipse. Just if you could tell me how to get your app to run in it, and how to make a new jar file?

Thanks
    Mike

sure, i've already written a guide for someone else:

Get the following

Eclipse IDE for Java Developers
    http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/

Eclipse ME (from http://www.eclipseme.org/)
    http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=86829

S40 and S60 development platforms. get the java ones
    http://www.forum.nokia.com/main/resources/tools_and_sdks/index.html

you need a login for nokia but it's free to sign up

install the s40 and s60 platforms

open eclipse and select a workspace. Select help->software updates->find and install->search for new features to install->new archived site->eclipseme.feature_1.7.9_site.zip (or whatever version they're on now)

press ok and finish

another popup will ask you to install it. Tick it and click next->accept terms->next->finish->install->yes. (to be very precise :))

click file->new->other->J2ME->J2ME midlet suite

give it a name and click next

click manage devices->import->browse->c:\nokia\devices

press refresh

it should find series 40 5th edition……..
    tick it and click finish->ok

select the s40 platform in group and device

click finish

double click on the welcome tab to bring up the main interface

on the left you’ll see your project

right click on it and click new->other->J2ME->Midlet

give it a name.

click finish

it’ll have some template code. Click run->run. A phone will appear and you’ve just run your first J2ME midlet. Congratulations

startapp() is the equivalent of main()

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Hi

I tried to use this recently to send a text to a group of people. I set up the contacts & groups, and tried to send the text, but it kept failing on the first contact.

I could send the texts individually, and set up new groups with different people in the first position, but I could not get the group text function to work.

For reference, I'm on Vodafone Bill Pay, and had the maximum number of webtexts available. I'm using the latest version of the program from the website.

I'm not complaining about this, as it seems it's an excellent piece of software offered for free. It would make my life considerably easier if the group thing worked though, so is there something I might do differently, or is this a known bug? I freely acknowledge I may have made a b*lls of it somewhere along the line :o

Thanks in advance for any help.

I think I remember making a change to the group texting for someone but not only giving him the link and not updating the site.

It's working for me on vodafone on that version so firstly download http://cabbagetexter.com/Cabbage_Setup_1.93.exe to see if that fixes the problem and if not I'll see what might be wrong

Quick favour to ask any of you who have been to my site since I added the texter thingy, if you could please NOT go to my site (so not to overwrite anything in your cache) and check your internet history and look for a file called index.php from vantasks.ie and if you have it, please send it to me in a PM please :)

• Advertisement

Quick favour to ask any of you who have been to my site since I added the texter thingy, if you could please NOT go to my site (so not to overwrite anything in your cache) and check your internet history and look for a file called index.php from vantasks.ie and if you have it, please send it to me in a PM please :)

The php file users get wouldn't be the same one you have unfortunately, we'd only get the outputted html.

But having that is better than nothing so I'll take a look when I get into work

Dang, thought there might be a problem finding it alright as I asked my brother and he couldn't :( Maybe blacknight would have it from a backup perhaps! Thanks for checking at your work :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    I think I remember making a change to the group texting for someone but not only giving him the link and not updating the site.

It's working for me on vodafone on that version so firstly download http://cabbagetexter.com/Cabbage_Setup_1.93.exe to see if that fixes the problem and if not I'll see what might be wrong

Thanks, I'll download it at home this evening & try again. I'll let you know how it goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Vimes - currently I have the "check for updates at startup" option on. I really don't want that popup if I have the latest version. Could you go the way of other programs and only show a popup if a new version is available? Otherwise just don't show anything. Usually I'm halfway through typing my text and get the "there are new new updates" (or whatever it says) popup.

Thanks

Random wrote: »
    Vimes - currently I have the "check for updates at startup" option on. I really don't want that popup if I have the latest version. Could you go the way of other programs and only show a popup if a new version is available? Otherwise just don't show anything. Usually I'm halfway through typing my text and get the "there are new new updates" (or whatever it says) popup.

Thanks

That's the way it's supposed to be, it's only supposed to pop up if you manually clicked the button

I'll take a look at it.

That's the way it's supposed to be, it's only supposed to pop up if you manually clicked the button

I'll take a look at it.
    The answer I was looking for, Mr Vimes, is "that's fixed now!" ;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Thanks
    You wrote the original.. cant you just fix it yourself? :P

The answer I was looking for, Mr Vimes, is "that's fixed now!" ;)
    Sorry sir. I'll hop right to it sir. Sir!
    jmccrohan wrote: »
    You wrote the original.. cant you just fix it yourself? :P
    Yeah random, the code's on the site. Off you go and send it back when you've got it fixed. Ta :P

I've fixed it but I don't have time to update the website at the moment so if you download this one you'll have to turn that feature off or you'll be told there's an update available because the latest one on the site is 1.91 and this is 1.93

http://cabbagetexter.com/Cabbage_Setup_1.93.exe

I've fixed it but I don't have time to update the website at the moment so if you download this one you'll have to turn that feature off or you'll be told there's an update available because the latest one on the site is 1.91 and this is 1.93

http://cabbagetexter.com/Cabbage_Setup_1.93.exe
    So you fixed the feature but now we can't use it? Lovely. There's a true programmer :D

Thanks .. will wait til you update the website or it'd wind me up :(

• Advertisement

Just to update on that index.php thingy, I ended up just recoding it, had most of the code on another file so it wasn't much to do, but now it seems that text stretching doesn't happen anymore so hopefully it'll stay that way :)

Sam, I must once again thank you for this program. I don't only use it for texts, I use it for quick access to customer numbers and today I was also using it for naming my page titles on the website and page descriptions as I can easily count the characters as I type and keep it within googles limits. Very handy! I got a genuine call back request aswell from the site texter, text sent at 8:11, call back at 8:12, job booked by 8:15, hows that for service :D

I got a genuine call back request aswell from the site texter, text sent at 8:11, call back at 8:12, job booked by 8:15, hows that for service :D

Fantastic :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

Is there a limit to how many contacts you can have in your Cabbage Mobile phone book? When I send a text to a number that is not yet in the Cabbage phone book , it does not prompt me whether I want to save it or not. Is this a change on the server side?

There is a limit yeah, can't remember what it is now though. It's not a server side fix but I can take the limit off very quickly.

Did you get the new one i released last week?

There is a limit yeah, can't remember what it is now though. It's not a server side fix but I can take the limit off very quickly.

Did you get the new one i released last week?

Actually not. Is there a changelog available?

flodis79 wrote: »
    Actually not. Is there a changelog available?

There ya go
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=59154419&postcount=1594

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Does this work with Blackberries?

BostonB wrote: »
    Does this work with Blackberries?

Should do if they support J2ME

Ah I see. I downloaded from the /dl url last week but only got 1.4, so thanks for the info that the url is different for the new version.

• Advertisement

Vimes - can we have a minimise button instead of escape please?

Advertisement