Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cabbage Desktop / Cabbage Mobile mega thread (Desktop/mobile texting app)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Random wrote: »
    Vimes - can we have a minimise button instead of escape please?

I've been trying to put it back but it's actually proving a bit tricky. I think it's a vists thing. I'll see what I can do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I don't use Vista so feel free to destroy the Vista version ;)

Random wrote: »
    I don't use Vista so feel free to destroy the Vista version ;)

There is not vista version, I mean I'm making it on vista. I just found the reason anyway. It's because I have the form border set as "Fixed Dialog". To get a minimise button it has to be sizeable but I don't want it sizeable and the border looks wrong. I'll work on it...

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    There is not vista version, I mean I'm making it on vista. I just found the reason anyway. It's because I have the form border set as "Fixed Dialog". To get a minimise button it has to be sizeable but I don't want it sizeable and the border looks wrong. I'll work on it...
    Ah, I get you now (lame excuse ... ;) ).

You could setup a function related to the "onformresize" (or whatever it's called) function and just have it resize the form back to the right size every time someone trys to resize it?

Done :)

Simple as this:
    http://rahmanmillenium.multiply.com/market/item/81

Download here:
    http://cabbagetexter.com/Cabbage_Setup_1.93.exe

Only tested on vista but should work on XP too

• Advertisement

Done :)

Simple as this:
    http://rahmanmillenium.multiply.com/market/item/81

Download here:
    http://cabbagetexter.com/Cabbage_Setup_1.93.exe

Only tested on vista but should work on XP too
    Nice one, will take a look when I get back from the pub :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

Feedback on Cabbage Mobile 1.5:

Works fine.

However, instead of Send and Delete recent choices when pressing action button twice, why not only send straight? No need to have that option to delete numbers on that screen.

Could the signature be displayed on the write message screen, so that you remember that it will be affixed, and so that you remember to delete it if you do not want to use it to everyone.

The Send to many option would actually be better to have when you are already in the Destination number screen, instead of the Text screen.

For some reason, it is always the last number in the phone book that is highlighted in the Cabbage phone book. Could you code it so that it will be the last number chosen to import into the Destination number screen that is highlighted instead?

Would a minimise option instead of exit be possible, and that the exit will just be an option if pressing the button that invokes the main menu options?

Just my .02 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Somebody a Spin 1038 fan?!! Just downloaded it there and you left a small command button on it that send a message to spin!

mad.mike wrote: »
    Somebody a Spin 1038 fan?!! Just downloaded it there and you left a small command button on it that send a message to spin!

I knew there was something I had to take out before uploading it :D

You'll also find that whenever you send a text it'll get stuck in a loop of repeating that message. It was to try to win a spin competition. Download it again, it's gone now

flodis79 wrote: »
    However, instead of Send and Delete recent choices when pressing action button twice, why not only send straight? No need to have that option to delete numbers on that screen.
    That's a J2ME problem. You asked for the option to delete recent numbers individually. to do that I had to add a command to the choice group. That means that that option appears when you press enter with the choice group highlighted. So if you want me to get rid of it it'll involve getting rid of the option to delete recent numbers individually
    Could the signature be displayed on the write message screen, so that you remember that it will be affixed, and so that you remember to delete it if you do not want to use it to everyone.
    I've already done that. Must have forgot to upload it after I changed it. I'll do it probably tomorrow
    The Send to many option would actually be better to have when you are already in the Destination number screen, instead of the Text screen.
    I don't know about that. If someone is sending to many they already know when writing the message so putting it on the next screen just makes them press ok for no reason. Maybe I'll put it in both places
    For some reason, it is always the last number in the phone book that is highlighted in the Cabbage phone book. Could you code it so that it will be the last number chosen to import into the Destination number screen that is highlighted instead?
    The reason the last number is always highlighted is that's how your phone does it. That doesn't happen on my phone. What you're asking is a very specific request and I think it'll just confuse people. I'll make it go to the first number instead.
    Would a minimise option instead of exit be possible, and that the exit will just be an option if pressing the button that invokes the main menu options?

I don't think it's possible to minimise a java app from within the program. Some phones can minimise apps but that's independent of the coding. I'll look into it anyway

• Advertisement

Sam, thanks for listening to my feedback! Re the delete recent menu item, I wasn't aware it would show up in all menus. Perhaps remove that feature again. It takes three presses instead of two to send the message now, and actually the delete recent isn't that necessary, it's really more important that you can send texts quicker from the Destination number screen. Thanks in advance and sorry for any inconvenience!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

It was to try to win a spin competition. Download it again, it's gone now

i love it :pac::pac::pac:

davton wrote: »
    i love it :pac::pac::pac:

you had to be the 1038th texter. I sent over 200. I still didn't win :(

Davy wrote: »
    it was for the tickets then im guessing. ah well,, just charge for using cabbage and u will have the money in no time :) i wouldn't mind paying its a good service.

It was indeed for tickets :D

I wouldn't charge for it. The whole point is to make the whole process easier and save people money. There's a donate link for anyone who wants to but charging for it would be missing the point :)

Edit: oops, forgot that particular molecule is run by a certain unmentionable company. Could you edit that word out please? We don't want the both of us getting in trouble

Lads, please be careful and take heed of http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054977622. I don't want to have to ban people! Please report posts that do not comply with this.

Thanks

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Stop trying to be all moddy.. it doesnt suit you. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭KatCookie

Hello! First of all, i'd call myself a bit of a noob here, so forgive my lack of knowledge!
    I am using XP, and my Mobile Service Provider is Vodafone..
    and i have lots of questions:
    What version do I want to download? (your first post is well over a year old )
    Do i have to manually enter my contacts details?
    Could i download to iPod Touch's (not that I own one) and PDA's? (using wifi for internet access? My father has one that he doesnt use very often and it would save me money [cheapskate student] if I could just use that for texts when i'm in a Wifi area) it's HP using Windows

KatCookie wrote: »
    What version do I want to download? (your first post is well over a year old )
    I'm assuming you want the mobile version based on asking about the iPod.
    type this address on your phone:
    http://www.cabbagetexter.com/dl1.5

It'll download V1.5
    Do i have to manually enter my contacts details?
    Yes you do. When you first download the program and open it, it'll ask you to enter a login name which can be whatever you want, then your phone number, which should be entered in the format 087xxxxxxx and not +35387 or anything like that, then the password you use to log in to the vodafone website and then you select vodafone from the list.

And away you go* :)
    Could i download to iPod Touch's (not that I own one) and PDA's? (using wifi for internet access? My father has one that he doesnt use very often and it would save me money [cheapskate student] if I could just use that for texts when i'm in a Wifi area) it's HP using Windows
    You can download it to a handset if it supports Java mobile which the iPod doesn't, some PDA's might though.

*depending on the phone you have. What phone do you have?

Ah sorry, i have a habit of not making myself very clear
    i meant downloading it for:
    a) the laptop
    b) a PDA
    c) my friends iPod Touch (she never has credit)

On second thoughts, i dont mind manually entering phone numbers as long as I only have to do it once :) My phone is a Nokia 7360 btw which is old and doesnt Do much!

The PDA is HP iPAQ and the battery is curently dead so i dont know whether it supports Java or not :rolleyes:
    So what version do i want for my laptop?
    From your website i see that there is a password -good,( its a family laptop)
    Is there many issues with it? Freezing? Talking long to open (if it takes longer than gong to the Vodafone website and doing it there, its not going to be of much use)

i'm sure all these questions are answered in this thread but i'm too tired to read +100 pages!

I'm lying in bed posting on my phone and your post will involve quite a detailed response so I'll answer it in the morning if that's ok :)

• Advertisement

i meant downloading it for:
    a) the laptop
    b) a PDA
    c) my friends iPod Touch (she never has credit)
    a)For the laptop, get it here:
    http://cabbagetexter.com/cabbagedesktopdownload.php

b)Depends on the PDA if it'll work or not. I checked out a few random HP ipaqs and they did support java but to know for yours I'd need to know the exact model number. There are lots of ipaqs :)

Or you could just download the program and try it. The link is:
    http://cabbagetexter.com/dl1.5

c)My program won't work on an iPod but there is an alternative that will. Read about it here:
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055501233

On second thoughts, i dont mind manually entering phone numbers as long as I only have to do it once :) My phone is a Nokia 7360 btw which is old and doesnt Do much!
    To get it to work on that phone on vodafone you'll need to enter some settings into the phone. This is what you need to do:
    settings->configuration->personal configuration settings->add->access point

account name: vodafone isp apn
    go into access point settings
    data bearer:gprs (or packet data)
    go into bearer settings
    GPRS access point:isp.vodafone.ie
    authentication type:normal
    username:vodafone
    password:vodafone

settings->configuration->personal configuration settings
    highlight vodafone isp apn and press options->activate

With those settings the program will be using a vodafone service that charges 19c per mb and isn't capped at 99c per day. It won't make any difference to my program because it'll cost at most a few cent in data charges but don't use and other data hungry java apps like google maps

From your website i see that there is a password -good,( its a family laptop)
    Is there many issues with it? Freezing? Talking long to open (if it takes longer than gong to the Vodafone website and doing it there, its not going to be of much use)
    I'm not sure what you mean by "there is a password". The only password is the one you'd use for the vodafone website. Generally it's only asked for once and the program remembers it but there is an option not to remember it.

One guy once reported it freezing but I fixed that problem. How long it takes to send a message depends on how fast the network website is running. It can be as little as 5 seconds but can take about 30 seconds (rarely). And in the cases where it takes 30 seconds, the website is running so slow it'd probably take 5 minutes to send it the normal way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,245 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Hi Sam, first off it's a fantastic app, been using it for about 18 months now. Having a few intermittent problems lately though with Error -13 messages and messages timing out.

I upgraded to v.1.93 of the desktop version but no change. I've looked through the FAQ and tried switching the server to cabaal but that only seems to work intermittently. The only other thing I've changed recently is my antivirus, AVG 8.0. Not entirely sure if theres a firewall built into that but the odd message from cabbage is getting through.

Cheers for any help.

bigkev49 wrote: »
    Hi Sam, first off it's a fantastic app, been using it for about 18 months now. Having a few intermittent problems lately though with Error -13 messages and messages timing out.

I upgraded to v.1.93 of the desktop version but no change. I've looked through the FAQ and tried switching the server to cabaal but that only seems to work intermittently. The only other thing I've changed recently is my antivirus, AVG 8.0. Not entirely sure if theres a firewall built into that but the odd message from cabbage is getting through.

Cheers for any help.

Is the error still -13 now that you've updated to 1.93?

What network are you on?

The correct server to use is http://cabbagetexter.com/send.php

What happens when you try to check for updates? (more->extras->check for updates)

How often does it work and not work?

Is the error still -13 now that you've updated to 1.93? Yes, intermittently though.

What network are you on? O2.

The correct server to use is http://cabbagetexter.com/send.php Changed it back to that now, only had the cabaal server for about 60 mins to see if it made any difference.

What happens when you try to check for updates? (more->extras->check for updates)I have the current version.

How often does it work and not work? Hard to say, tried it 3 times this morning and got a Error -13 twice. Tried it again now and went message came through.:o

What network are you on? O2.
    That's your problem right there I'm afraid. I couldn't send texts with o2 earlier today either because their site was down for the 158,487,284,834th time this week. (That figure might be slightly off :P)
    What happens when you try to check for updates? (more->extras->check for updates)I have the current version.
    That confirms that the program is reaching the website perfectly so there's nothing wrong on your end. It's all down to o2's website being crap

Unfortunately my program can only be as reliable as the network site. Meteor and vodafone pretty much never go down but o2 is up and down like a whore's drawers.

I'd recommend you either get a sim card from a different network to use its webtexts and put in the sig that people should reply to your normal number, or sign up to www.smsdiscount.com or one of the others. They'll allow you to have the number appear as your own but the texts aren't free. They're very cheap though

That's your problem right there I'm afraid.

Thanks Sam. Again, excellent application and after "sales" service.

A few further comments and suggestions on Cabbage Mobile 1.5:

-What is the possibility of having the last three words / first three words in overlapping texts repeated, so as to decrease the confusion when when reading multipart messages?

-Signatures are only applied after restarting the client, is this intentional? The cursor is also appearing after the sig, don't know if this is a j2me limitation.

-What is the possibility of having the last three words / first three words in overlapping texts repeated, so as to decrease the confusion when when reading multipart messages?
    I'm going to be putting in message numbers so the first one ends in something like 1/3 and the second starts with 2/3
    -Signatures are only applied after restarting the client, is this intentional?
    Yes it is because if you have a sig, then edit it and i append the new one, both sigs will be in the message. Unless you can think of a good way to do it?

The cursor is also appearing after the sig, don't know if this is a j2me limitation.
    I've looked it up and as far as I can see it is

Good good, thanks for that Sam.. only got around to downloading it a few minutes ago.(internet was bizzarely down for most of yesterday)
    its very simple, and easy to use once you get the hang of it!
    Also, took about 2 seconds (literally) to get to 99% downloaded of the Installer, then it hung for a few seconds and then Hey Presto! Done!
    Hmm.. I was going to put in my negative feedback here, but I cant becuase i dont have any..
    I realised any mistakes i made were due to my stupidity and not due to the software itself! :rolleyes:

EDIT: iPAQ wont turn on, i blame the Lithium Ion batteries, it hasnt even been turned on for over a month so i'm just gonna keep it charging for a while.. Would be interesting to see if the texter can be used!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭matthiku

Hi Sam,

Just a heads up, not a major issue. I was trying to import phone numbers using a manually modified text file in the format (with the comma as delimiter)
    <surname> <name>,<number>
    The program kept crashing with the above mentioned error until I discovered that in one if the entries the comma was missing....
    So it's nothing serious, but: no need to crash! :)

Advertisement