Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cabbage Desktop / Cabbage Mobile mega thread (Desktop/mobile texting app)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Hey Sam is v1.5 at the final release stage. I haven't installed it yet and just wondering if I should wait to everything is ironed out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Thanks for reporting that matthiku. I thought I'd ironed those bugs out a year ago

Al, yeah wait a few days anyway. There are one or two small changes still to be made

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭PapaQuebec

Hi!
    I've downloaded and installed Cabbage and all seems well when sending messages within Ireland. handy app - many thanks!!
    While reading the FAQ I was intrigued to learn about VOIPcheap.com so I went and signed up thinking this would be a great way of sending cheap SMS's to my fiancee in Russia. Maybe I didnt read the FAQ too well as regards sending them from my cellphone as I already use skype to send SMS via my PC. Can Cabbage be configured to send messages via voipcheaps server, and if so how is it done??

Thanks

Peter

PapaQuebec wrote: »
    Hi!
    I've downloaded and installed Cabbage and all seems well when sending messages within Ireland. handy app - many thanks!!
    While reading the FAQ I was intrigued to learn about VOIPcheap.com so I went and signed up thinking this would be a great way of sending cheap SMS's to my fiancee in Russia. Maybe I didnt read the FAQ too well as regards sending them from my cellphone as I already use skype to send SMS via my PC. Can Cabbage be configured to send messages via voipcheaps server, and if so how is it done??

Thanks

Peter
    Both the desktop and mobile versions can send messages via voipcheap.

On the mobile version, assuming you've already entered a login and aren't installing for the first time, press options-accounts-options-new

And then just fill in your login details. The only things that mightn't be self explanatory are the login name should be your voipcheap username and your phone number should have the format +38387, not 087. And you have to select voipcheap from the network list at the bottom

Or have you done that and is it not working?

Just getting message "could not connect to network site".
    Also, sending seems a very long-winded process, or am I not doing it correctly?

• Advertisement

It's possible that the voipcheap part isn't working properly, I haven't looked at it in a while. I'll take a look at it tonight

Can you use the mobile version to send webtexts from your network account?

And what do you mean by long winded? What are you doing to send it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Maybe you entered the login details incorrectly, Sam meant to write +35387.

As for being a long winded process, just set a shortcut on your main menu for it. Then it shouldn't take any longer really than the regular way. Plus think of all the savings!!!:D

mad.mike wrote: »
    Maybe you entered the login details incorrectly, Sam meant to write +35387.

This is true :) But I don't think that matters to voipcheap. If you have the wrong number the text comes from your username.

@PapaQuebec, a cheaper way to do it would be to get an o2 sim and use its webtexts because o2's can be sent worldwide. The only thing is you'd have to tell your gf to text back to your normal number

I've managed to get it to send OK - mea culpa, I had the wrong phone no set up in the account settings! One question, why does it display my own number in the list of recipients? can it be removed?
    Dandy little application, have already recommended it to many folks!! Thanks!

I've managed to get it to send OK - mea culpa, I had the wrong phone no set up in the account settings! One question, why does it display my own number in the list of recipients? can it be removed?
    Dandy little application, have already recommended it to many folks!! Thanks!

I'm not sure what you mean? Does it show your number on the list below the place where you enter the destination number?

If so, that just shows recently used numbers so you can select them rather than typing it in each time. you should see "Recent numbers" as the heading. If not, where are you seeing this?

• Advertisement

after composing the message and pressing "OK" it shows me a list with 3 entries - My intended recipients no, my no and "enter manually". I'm just wondering why my own no should be displayed?

.... and if it can be deleted!

after composing the message and pressing "OK" it shows me a list with 3 entries - My intended recipients no, my no and "enter manually". I'm just wondering why my own no should be displayed?

Your own number is displayed because you previously sent a text to your own number so it's on the recently used numbers list. Or did you not send one to your own number?

.... and if it can be deleted!

click on the number then press options->delete selected

when I did that it only gave me the option to clear all recent numbers!

when I did that it only gave me the option to clear all recent numbers!

Sorry I forgot that was only added in a version that hasn't been released yet. In your version you can only delete all recent numbers in one go

I'm getting the hang of it now - just a bit cumbersome to have to switch between my inbox to read messages, and switch to Cabbage to send a reply! If the app could integrate within the phone's OS to the point where you could select a contact and have a "reply only via Cabbage" profile it would be one bit of SW I for one would be happy to pay for!!!

I'm getting the hang of it now - just a bit cumbersome to have to switch between my inbox to read messages, and switch to Cabbage to send a reply! If the app could integrate within the phone's OS to the point where you could select a contact and have a "reply only via Cabbage" profile it would be one bit of SW I for one would be happy to pay for!!!

That'd be nice but I'm afraid it's impossible to do in Java mobile

Slightly off-topic but in the vein of mobile and messaging I'd be interested to know if anyone knows a way to disable the messaging service on your mobile (temporarily) without ringing your network operator and asking them to do it? They will, but only with bad grace!
    I've tried setting up a bogus "message centre" and switching to that etc but to no avail. I bought an app that will block spam and unwanted messages reaching my inbox but this still doesn't stop delivery reports bein sent - which is the whole pupose of the exercise!
    Any ideas?

Slightly off-topic but in the vein of mobile and messaging I'd be interested to know if anyone knows a way to disable the messaging service on your mobile (temporarily) without ringing your network operator and asking them to do it? They will, but only with bad grace!
    I've tried setting up a bogus "message centre" and switching to that etc but to no avail. I bought an app that will block spam and unwanted messages reaching my inbox but this still doesn't stop delivery reports bein sent - which is the whole pupose of the exercise!
    Any ideas?

I don't think that's possible. The message centre number only effects outgoing messages.

Turn your phone off? :P

• Advertisement

I've had to resort to that a few times! One of the benefits of self-employment is that you get to pretty much choose the hours you work. Unfortunately many of my clients don't see it like that. If they send me a business-related text at 23.00 they expect a reply at 23.01!!! If they dont receive one they're on the blower at 09.01 the next day whining that they "know you got the message 'coz I got a report"!!!

Maybe I should just get a second phone - one for business and another for whatever little social-life I can still afford!

I've had to resort to that a few times! One of the benefits of self-employment is that you get to pretty much choose the hours you work. Unfortunately many of my clients don't see it like that. If they send me a business-related text at 23.00 they expect a reply at 23.01!!! If they dont receive one they're on the blower at 09.01 the next day whining that they "know you got the message 'coz I got a report"!!!

The only real solution that I can see is to have a personal phone and a business one that you turn off when you don't want to be contacted

That or tell them "Yeah I got your message but it was 11pm and I have a life you ****". That'd be good for business I'm sure :D

Too true!!
    Thanks for your assistance with Cabbage and well done - I'll spread the word!!

Peter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

here's one for ya Vimey :) I do know ya <3 my problems with cabbage :P

ok, with the nature of my work, at times I need to use a customer proxy on site.

cabbage works fine if I have the proxy set in IE.

problem is when I don't have the proxy set in IE but am using say FF or Opera to access the web and IE to access the local network.

I get the Error(-9)Precheck: Internet Connection Failed

Put the proxy back into IE and presto, cabbage works.

at the minute I need to use IE locally [FF is having a fit with server certificates].

suggestions or will i wait for a fix in the next version? :)

You and your requests :rolleyes::pac:

A temporary suggestion would be to enable the proxy in IE but set the addresses you need for the customer site to bypass the proxy. You can't do it if you're using an automatic configuration script but if you manually enter the proxy address you can add exceptions.

I'm working on a new way of sending at the moment that can set a proxy very easily but it won't be ready for a while

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    You and your requests :rolleyes::pac:

A temporary suggestion would be to enable the proxy in IE but set the addresses you need for the customer site to bypass the proxy. You can't do it if you're using an automatic configuration script but if you manually enter the proxy address you can add exceptions.

I'm working on a new way of sending at the moment that can set a proxy very easily but it won't be ready for a while
    result.

lucky I'm not using a configuration script isn't it!

being able to add multi-proxies and the ability to switch between them easily would be nice ;)

kaimera wrote: »
    result.

lucky I'm not using a configuration script isn't it!

being able to add multi-proxies and the ability to switch between them easily would be nice ;)

Don't push your luck :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭IIMII

Really good, but now an error message keeps coming up. 'Error. Previously instance running.' Tried force quitting it but the same error message keeps coming up..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

I really like this programme :)

Thanks
    Tallon

Advertisement