Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cabbage Desktop / Cabbage Mobile mega thread (Desktop/mobile texting app)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

IIMII wrote: »
    Really good, but now an error message keeps coming up. 'Error. Previously instance running.' Tried force quitting it but the same error message keeps coming up..

How long has this been going on for?

pres ctrl+alt+delete and end any cabbage.exe processes and see if that makes a difference

just released V 1.94 :)
    • Added client side sending, independent of the server. When 1.94 first installs it will default to use the server but click more->configuration and untick "Send messages via intermediate server" to send client side.
    • More descriptive error messages
    • Short delay between sending group texts to prevent failure
    • Fixed a bug where Cabbage would sometimes fail to start
    • Fixed scheduled messages
    • Fixed a bug where Cabbage would crash when importing contacts from a poorly formatted file
    • Fixed a bug related to automated update notifications
    • Fixed a problem where it would crash if you open two instance. Now it will bring the other instance to the front
    • Voipcheap etc is fixed.
    • Fixed the code for making Cabbage portable
    • If the program has been sending for 30 seconds the "more" button will enable and change to "Stop". if you click it, cabbage will stop attempting to send but be careful using it because if you click stop the message might actually be sent even though it reported failure
    • New Betamax (sms discount, voipcheap etc) providers can be added manually with ease. See FAQ for instructions
    • Added minimise button
    • Added log files when sending message to help diagnose problems
    • Added support for proxies rather than just using settings for Internet Explorer
    • Removed the "Press enter to find names" option because it was only introduced to get around a problem that has been fixed
    This version uses a completely different way for sending messages. you might find that it doesn't work on your computer. If so, reinstall V 1.93 and let me know

And let me know about any problems you find :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Cool stuff Sam, but I forget, is there any reason why I shouldn't upgrade? Any of my special requests wouldn't be compatible? :P

Nope, no reason. All your requests are in there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Its a great app. Heres a couple of very minor, things. Is there any reason why the contacts text file isn't just called something like ContactsBook instead of just book, and in a standard CSV format? I sometimes export my contacts from outlook, google and my mobile and its a pain the way they are all in separate formats. I can do a find and replace to make it a CSV, but why do I have to? I tend to put a ! in front of my most used contacts to bring them to the top of the list. Be handy if Cabbage kept the last 5 most used contacts at the top of the list like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Stoned Hippy

Sam, great to see another update.

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work with the proxy settings on my network (in Trinity College).

I tried leaving the proxy setting at the 'same as internet explorer' setting but when that didn't work I filled in all the proxy details I could in the menu but still had no luck.

The problem may not be with the program as i'm running Windows 7 along with IE8 beta. I've had to use different settings with Firefox than I should have so something funny is going on with the proxy.

For the moment i've gone back to 1.93 which works just great.

BostonB wrote: »
    Heres a couple of very minor, things. Is there any reason why the contacts text file isn't just called something like ContactsBook instead of just book, and in a standard CSV format? I sometimes export my contacts from outlook, google and my mobile and its a pain the way they are all in separate formats. I can do a find and replace to make it a CSV, but why do I have to?
    I could make an export to CSV option where you can specify the heading you want the names to go in and the file name?
    I tend to put a ! in front of my most used contacts to bring them to the top of the list. Be handy if Cabbage kept the last 5 most used contacts at the top of the list like this.

I'm not sure how I'd go about that tbh. It's supposed to be an alphabetical list. But I never use the drop down because it's slow. Do you know the quick way to get contacts? If you start typing in the "To:" box a drop down will appear with all the matches for what you've typed. For example, if you had the names John Smith and David Johnson in your contacts and you typed jo in the box they'd both show up and you can press the down array to pick one.

you can search by phone number too, i.e. the names whose numbers match the pattern you've entered show up
    Sam, great to see another update.

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work with the proxy settings on my network (in Trinity College).

I tried leaving the proxy setting at the 'same as internet explorer' setting but when that didn't work I filled in all the proxy details I could in the menu but still had no luck.

The problem may not be with the program as i'm running Windows 7 along with IE8 beta. I've had to use different settings with Firefox than I should have so something funny is going on with the proxy.

For the moment i've gone back to 1.93 which works just great.

Can internet explorer access the net ok? Did you put the proxy in the right format, ie http://<proxy address>:<port>/

Could you pm me the log file? you'll find it at "%appdata%\cabbage\log.txt" (%appdata% is a shortcut to get into the application data folder)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    I could make an export to CSV option where you can specify the heading you want the names to go in and the file name?

Most apps have functionality to pick the columns on import. Just a CSV file in any format would be enough. That said I kinda was wondering why just not use CSV format for the book.txt anyway?
    I'm not sure how I'd go about that tbh. It's supposed to be an alphabetical list. But I never use the drop down because it's slow. Do you know the quick way to get contacts? If you start typing in the "To:" box a drop down will appear with all the matches for what you've typed. For example, if you had the names John Smith and David Johnson in your contacts and you typed jo in the box they'd both show up and you can press the down array to pick one.

you can search by phone number too, i.e. the names whose numbers match the pattern you've entered show up.

Every time you send a text append that name to the top of the list. If theres already there, do nothing.

Choosing the first name on the list is two clicks, for those of use who aren't great typists, or can't remember did we name it Mums Phone, or Me auld dear.

Neither is that important, I just thought I'd mention it. Once the dragons are happy thats all that matters. ;)

Cool Sam, thanks again, don't forget to update your boards sig ;)

Uh oh, just installed it and look :o

Tried restart and still the same?...

• Advertisement

That said I kinda was wondering why just not use CSV format for the book.txt anyway?
    There is a very good and logical reason for that. I don't want the hassle of changing it :P

Every time you send a text append that name to the top of the list. If theres already there, do nothing.

Choosing the first name on the list is two clicks, for those of use who aren't great typists, or can't remember did we name it Mums Phone, or Me auld dear.
    There are quite complicated issues with that due to the way the list is populated unfortunately. I'll see what I can do about it but I can't promise anything.
    Neither is that important, I just thought I'd mention it. Once the dragons are happy thats all that matters. ;)
    I had no idea what you were talking about for a minute there :D
    cormie wrote: »

God damn it. I know what's causing that and I'll hopefully fix it shortly

cormie wrote: »

I've found the problem and fixed it. Download it again there and see if it worked

That's cool Sam, everything seems fine now thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Hi Sam, not sure how easy/not easy this would be to do but would there be any way to add the vhi's 10 free texts a day to cabbage?
    http://www.vhi.ie/personalise/controller/RequestSMSText

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,177 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Could you perhaps register and pm someone your login details?

Not even gonna be able to look at the site unless you have a policy with vhi :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

trogdor wrote: »
    Hi Sam, not sure how easy/not easy this would be to do but would there be any way to add the vhi's 10 free texts a day to cabbage?
    http://www.vhi.ie/personalise/controller/RequestSMSText
    You're probably gonna have to share your login details with Vimes or something here ..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Installed Cabbage V 1.94 yesterday when prompted that an update was available.

Anyone else getting an error message just when they've composed their message and hit send?

Error: (-7) Precheck: Network website failed

- Would point the finger at O2/O2 Website but have someone sitting at the next desk using this on O2 with no problems [?]

Rang your Indian Callcentre Vimes - they said you were in Barbados on your Yacht :-(

Raiser wrote: »
    Installed Cabbage V 1.94 yesterday when prompted that an update was available.

Anyone else getting an error message just when they've composed their message and hit send?

Error: (-7) Precheck: Network website failed

- Would point the finger at O2/O2 Website but have someone sitting at the next desk using this on O2 with no problems [?]
    1.94 uses a completely different sending method so it's entirely possible it doesn't work. A few questions:

What OS are you running?

Are you using it through a proxy and do you need a username and password for the proxy?

is cabbagesender.exe allowed to access the internet through your firewall?

click more->configuration and tell me if it's set to use the server. try it both ways

And can you send me the log file? it's at %appdata%\cabbage\log.txt
    Rang your Indian Callcentre Vimes - they said you were in Barbados on your Yacht :-(

Ah yes my yacht I bought with all my Cabbage millions :P

Proxy: Yes; Authenticated via membership of defined security group.

Cabbagesender.exe allowed: I think so? If this was the method employed by V1.93? If exclusive to V 1.94 then possibly not?

More > Configuration - Server ticked or unticked = same result.

Log file sent via PM - God knows what the unchallenged, under-utilised gargantuan intellects of board.ie folk could do with such information.... :cool:

- Thanks Sam; I'm glad it didn't have to come down to innuendo, threats, toppling your cabbage share price and watching as they repossessed that cabbage-green Yacht....

Proxy: Yes; Authenticated via membership of defined security group.
    That's your problem there. Stoned Hippy is having the same problem. It doesn't seem to like proxys with authentication and I'm trying to fix it at the moment. In the meantime you'll just have to go back to 1.93 I'm afraid. You don't actually have to change the whole program and lose the bug fixes etc, just replace the cabbagesender.exe with 1.93's version from the one on the website with no installer.
    - Thanks Sam; I'm glad it didn't have to come down to innuendo, threats, toppling your cabbage share price and watchign as they repossessed that cabbage-green Yacht....

Phew. Dodged a bullet there. I love that yacht :(

• Advertisement

Thanks Sam - will roll back; suppose all the cool people will be using V 1.94 though - dammit :P

Thanks Sam - will roll back; suppose all the cool people will be using V 1.94 though - dammit :P

when you say you're "Authenticated via membership of defined security group. " I'm not rally sure what you mean.

In internet explorer what do the proxy settings look like? go into tools->internet options->connections->lan settings to see them. If they're for your company and you don't want to post them here, pm them to me. If it's set to use a .pac configuration file, send me the file.

do you get asked for a username and password when you connect?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Hi Sam, Getting "Runtime error -5" but the messages are going through without issue. Just to let you know.

bigkev49 wrote: »
    Hi Sam, Getting "Runtime error -5" but the messages are going through without issue. Just to let you know.

When you get this error does the program crash?

What version are you using?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

When you get this error does the program crash? Yes.

What version are you using? V1.94

The messages deliver but the programme crashes after each one.

bigkev49 wrote: »
    The messages deliver but the programme crashes after each one.

Does it wait a few seconds and then crash or does it crash as soon as you click send?

And does it give a label for the warning?

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭matthiku

1. I've created 2 groups with 2 or more contacts each from my address book.
    2. I enter the text and click on "Group"
    3. Then I select the group I want to sent the text to and hit OK
    4. Error: "Please select at least one contact"

What sense does that make? Or am I doing something wrong?

Even when I select one contact AND the group, it only sends the text to that one contact, but not to the contacts in the group.

matthiku wrote: »
    1. I've created 2 groups with 2 or more contacts each from my address book.
    2. I enter the text and click on "Group"
    3. Then I select the group I want to sent the text to and hit OK

What sense does that make? Or am I doing something wrong?

Even when I select one contact AND the group, it only sends the text to that one contact, but not to the contacts in the group.

What version are you using? I just tried it out there and it worked fine on 1.94

When you click on the group name in the right column, do the names of the people in the group get ticked in the left column?
    All that clicking the group name does (or is supposed to do) is tick the names in the left column and when you click send, it sends to the names that are ticked.

I'm thinking the most likely thing here is that you thought just having the group name ticked was enough and you were manually unticking the names on the left after they got automatically ticked, thinking it would send to them twice.

Would I be right :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭matthiku

I've 1.94 as well.
    When I tick the group, nothing gets selected in the left column.
    I'm running this on Vista.
    Network is Vodafone, and I'm only using the default server (I mean http://cabbagetexter.com/send.php)

Edit: Now I'm getting "Error -5, invalid response received from network site" and it still tries to send to the very first memeber in the group, although I have restarted the program. Is it possible, that my initial request still "hangs" on the server?

Advertisement