Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cabbage Desktop / Cabbage Mobile mega thread (Desktop/mobile texting app)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

matthiku wrote: »
    I've 1.94 as well.
    When I tick the group, nothing gets selected in the left column.
    That's very odd. What happens when you select a group is the program just reads down through the names in the left column and ticks the ones that match the names in the group.

Do the names in the group exactly match names that are in the contacts?
    matthiku wrote: »
    I'm running this on Vista.
    Network is Vodafone, and I'm only using the default server (I mean http://cabbagetexter.com/send.php)

Edit: Now I'm getting "Error -5, invalid response received from network site" and it still tries to send to the very first memeber in the group, although I have restarted the program. Is it possible, that my initial request still "hangs" on the server?

I'm on Vista too so that's not the problem.

What changed between it telling you no contacts were selected and just failing to send? Did you just start manually clicking the names?

It's entirely possible the vodafone website wasn't working at the time, it's been having serious problems the past few days. It seems to be working now though. Can you send non-group messages and just not group ones?

Might there be something strange about the first name in the group? maybe an oddly formatted number?

I'm not sure what you mean by "it still tries to send to the very first member in the group". Does it keep sending to the same number over and over and not move down the list? Or do you just mean that it tries to send to the first number, fails, and then aborts?

Did it work on 1.93 or did you try it then?

Sorry about all these questions. They're necessary when I can't reproduce the problem :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

I have the cabbage texting program on my computer and it's working great, thanks!

I've downloaded it to my phone (Blackberry Curve 8310). When I try to send a message it says: "Could not connect to server". I think it's a problem with my phone rather than the program or the Vodafone website because I've tried downloading a couple of other applications and they too couldn't connect to the web. The only thing that does connect to the internet is the phone's browser. I have Cabbage's permissions all set to 'allow' and the firewall is disabled. I was on the phone to customer care the other day and mentioned this problem to them - the girl didn't seem to understand what I was explaining to her so I just left it.

I'll have to try customer care again and hope they can point me in the right direction.

You're right, that doesn't sound like a cabbage problem. I'll see what I can find about how to enter the settings but afaik blackberrys are provisioned differently

You should call again and asked to be put through to data support or the equivalent. It's not good enough for her to say she doesn't know

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭paconnors

Hi sam i'm getting the same error could not connect to server i'm using nokia 6300 and on vodafone pre-pay

Take a look here at how to set up vodafone isp on a series 40 nokia:

http://powermyphone.com/gprsmms.php

The isp access point isn't included in the 99c per day deal, it's 19c per mb. That'll actually work out cheaper than live if you're just using cabbage through it but watch out for data hungry apps like google maps

If you want to leave your browser using live just enter the first part of the settings about the access point and forget the web settings

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭paconnors

done that now getting invalid login details

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Try and login at www.vodafone.ie - do your login details work there?

Make sure you have Vodafone selected as the network in Cabbage Mobile too.

paconnors wrote: »
    done that now getting invalid login details

That means that it's now connecting so really the only thing it can be is that you do have invalid login details. Press options->accounts->select your login->options->edit

and make sure that the phone number is in there in the format 087xxxxxxx, your password is correct and you've selected vodafone.

If you've used it too many times you might be locked out and it might be necessary to go to the site and unlock it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

last while using cabbage 1.94 the recipient is receiving the same text 5 times.

this is after I get an error connecting to o2 with cabbage but the message still send.

Exact error I can't think of atm vimey...it happened at home for me so I'll dig it up later.

kaimera wrote: »
    last while using cabbage 1.94 the recipient is receiving the same text 5 times.

this is after I get an error connecting to o2 with cabbage but the message still send.

Exact error I can't think of atm vimey...it happened at home for me so I'll dig it up later.

I just had a look at the code and saw something that might possibly cause it to send multiple times and I've fixed it. Didn't change the version number though so just download the latest release.

I don't know if this bug was causing your problem though because it only retries a maximum of twice so it should only be possible for the recipient to get it three times. Update it anyway and hopefully the problem will go away. It shouldn't normally be possible to get duplicates because the program checks your messages, then tries to send and if it fails it checks your messages again and only retries if the number left hasn't changed.

Do you have it set to send via the server?

• Advertisement

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    Take a look here at how to set up vodafone isp on a series 40 nokia:

http://powermyphone.com/gprsmms.php

The isp access point isn't included in the 99c per day deal, it's 19c per mb. That'll actually work out cheaper than live if you're just using cabbage through it but watch out for data hungry apps like google maps

If you want to leave your browser using live just enter the first part of the settings about the access point and forget the web settings

I haven't had a chance yet to ring customer care about my Blackberry not allowing applications to connect to the web.

I think it could be that I have no ISP access point settings in my phone. From what I can see I only have live! settings.

Would Cabbage be trying to connect via ISP access settings?

KevR wrote: »
    I haven't had a chance yet to ring customer care about my Blackberry not allowing applications to connect to the web.

I think it could be that I have no ISP access point settings in my phone. From what I can see I only have live! settings.

Would Cabbage be trying to connect via ISP access settings?

Cabbage will connect via whatever settings you have configured in your phone.

I just had a quick google and found some suggestions that you can just enter the settings into your blackberry here:
    http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/Carrier_specific_APN/TCP_settings

Can you follow the instructions there and find a similar menu? If so I should be able to tell you what settings to enter

On my phone in Settings --> Advanced Options --> TCP

it has the following fields (all of which are blank on my phone):

APN:
    Username for APN:
    Password for APN:

On my phone in Settings --> Advanced Options --> TCP

it has the following fields (all of which are blank on my phone):

APN:
    Username for APN:
    Password for APN:

It's just occurred to me that you can't use the isp access point because on bill pay it has a minimum connection charge of 10c unless you have a data package.

Do you have a data package that applies to ISP?

Can you find settings in the same area for a proxy address and proxy username and password?

to make sure it works you could enter the settings APN:isp.vodafone.ie and username/password:vodafone but it'll cost you 10c a go so it's not a permanent solution.

You could try putting APN:live.vodafone.com and username/password:dublin but that probably won't work without the proxy settings and java apps don't work reliably through live anyway.

To get it to work properly you might have to get the 1GB isp add on for €9.99 but I don't know how that works on a blackberry account or even if you need it because all internet might be included on a blackberry

It's just occurred to me that you can't use the isp access point because on bill pay it has a minimum connection charge of 10c unless you have a data package.

Do you have a data package that applies to ISP?

Can you find settings in the same area for a proxy address and proxy username and password?

to make sure it works you could enter the settings APN:isp.vodafone.ie and username/password:vodafone but it'll cost you 10c a go so it's not a permanent solution.

You could try putting APN:live.vodafone.com and username/password:dublin but that probably won't work without the proxy settings and java apps don't work reliably through live anyway.

To get it to work properly you might have to get the 1GB isp add on for €9.99 but I don't know how that works on a blackberry account or even if you need it because all internet might be included on a blackberry

I have a Blackberry Internet Service add-on which gives me 1GB of email and data for €20 per month. I think that includes isp/internet because they seem to be charging me for live!

I'll give customer care a call and find out exactly what my €20 add-on includes and what I need to do to get internet/Cabbage working.

Thanks for all your help Sam!

I have a Blackberry Internet Service add-on which gives me 1GB of email and data for €20 per month. I think that includes isp/internet because they seem to be charging me for live!

I'll give customer care a call and find out exactly what my €20 add-on includes and what I need to do to get internet/Cabbage working.

Thanks for all your help Sam!

Well if isp is included then all you should have to do is enter isp.vodafone.ie as the apn. you don't really need to enter the username and password.

Then give it a shot to see if it works then go online or call up to check if you were charged for the usage.

Sam,

I entered isp.vodafone.ie in the APN field and Cabbage (and presumably all other intrenet applications) are now working.

Many thanks for all your help.

I'll keep an eye online to see if they charge me. I'm hoping that it's included in my €20 add-on because if it is I'll be able to cancel my text message add-on and save every month.

Just emailed customer care and they said my €20 Blackberry add-on only includes unlimited email.

As it stood I would have been charged 2c per KB to browse over the isp access point so I signed up to the 1GB data add-on for isp browsing. It's €10 per month for the 1GB. I'll cancel my text message add-on and through using cabbage from my phone I should save money.

On the phone to them before they said the €20 Balckberry gave me 1GB of email and data combined. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I thought it was both aswell. Ask them on the o2 forums they seem to be much better informed

Could well be both. Everytime I talk to customer care more than once about a single issue I will be told completely different things everytime I talk to them!

I'll have to ring up when I get home from work to straighten it out once and for all.

• Advertisement

You need to get it in writing either though email or the o2 forum

BostonB wrote: »
    You need to get it in writing either though email or the o2 forum

He's on vodafone so I don't think the o2 forum will do him much good :)

I would have thought that it included browsing too and I know it does on o2 so you should make 100% sure that it's not included before committing to getting the add on

LOL I missed that doh

It seems the email and data add-ons are seperate (€20 + €10 per month).

On the Blackberry Storm that you get a combined 1GB of email and isp data and an additional 1GB Vodafone Live! included in your Perfect Choice price plan.

I have the Curve 8310, although am due an upgrade in about a months time. Could be tempted to get the Storm..

It seems the email and data add-ons are seperate (€20 + €10 per month).

On the Blackberry Storm that you get a combined 1GB of email and isp data and an additional 1GB Vodafone Live! included in your Perfect Choice price plan.

I have the Curve 8310, although am due an upgrade in about a months time. Could be tempted to get the Storm..

Seems odd that they have packages that you can only get with certain phones. O2 did that with the iPhone but it was a deliberately bad tariff to screw over the Jesus phone enthusiasts.

But if that's what they want to do...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,177 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Sam what does error-5 mean?

On a mobile and not bothered to go reading through the source code :pac:

jmccrohan wrote: »
    Sam what does error-5 mean?

On a mobile and not bothered to go reading through the source code :pac:

-5 means that it managed to log in but then got something unexpected returned after that. You'll be getting it on meteor at the moment because there's something wrong with their site

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,177 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

-5 means that it managed to log in but then got something unexpected returned after that. You'll be getting it on meteor at the moment because there's something wrong with their site
    That was a record fast reply.

Working hard over there so? :P

Thanks.

jmccrohan wrote: »
    That was a record fast reply.

Working hard over there so? :P

Thanks.

Shhhh, no one's supposed to know. That's why I post on a public forum

• Advertisement

I've just uploaded 1.95 for anyone who wants to test it. I'm not going to update the website until all the bugs reports are in and there will most likely be many :)

Get it here:

http://cabbagetexter.com/Cabbage_Setup_1.95.exe

Changes:
    1. There's a new item on the "more" list called history. There you can scroll through your history and forward messages. You can also search your history by name, phone number, destination number or message content. If the program recognises your sig at the end of a message in the history, it's removed before forwarding. If you've changed your sig since sending the message, you'll have to remove the sig yourself because cabbage can't tell
    2. There's a new "Remove duplicates" button for the phone book
    3. Added an "outbox". What this means is:
      • When you click send, instead of the interface being disabled your message gets sent to the outbox and queues to be sent so you can start typing a new message right away.
      • If sending a message fails, sending is paused until you open the outbox and retry a message to start it off again. If it fails again, sending is paused again.
      • The outbox stores messages in a file so if you need to, you can close the program, fix the problem and they'll be waiting for you when you open it again. If there are messages in your outbox it'll attempt to send them before any new messages, unless you cancel them
      • When you activate the outbox, an extra response box will appear to allow two lines of text, one (mostly) to tell you how many characters you've typed and the other to give the response
      • The outbox is turned off by default and messages are sent the old way so people don't get confused. go into more->Configuration->use outbox to enable it.
      • The "compress" button on the main form changes to an outbox button when the outbox is enabled.
      • Group messages are now sent to the outbox too if the option is enabled so you don't have to wait for them
    4. Added a username and password option to the proxy info and it should now work for people who were having problems before (that means you Stoned Hippy :P)
    5. Fixed scheduled messages that were sending at the wrong time and added an option for a time zone entry. It tries to work out your current time zone but it might be wrong so you might have to change it
    6. Got rid of the confirmation text idea. It was put in to solve the problem that o2 sometimes wouldn't deliver messages for hours after you sent them so the idea was if you got a confirmation message it meant the webtexts were working. But the problem hasn't happened for about a year and o2 have delivery reports now anyway so you can see if it was delivered directly from the program. And if you really need to know that they're working you can just send yourself a text :)
    7. Got rid of the idea of sending the last chunk of long messages first because I think it'd be confusing to people receiving it. Also I previously put in an option for message numbers which I think is just as good.
    8. Fixed the status bar pop up box so that it appears on top of other windows without taking the focus from whatever program you're using
    9. Added an option to make the form transparent. You can enter a percentage up to 80% on the more->configuration options
    10. Added an export to CSV option to the phone book
    11. If you have the cursor in the "To" text box and there is no text in it, you can press the down arrow and you can see and pick from your 10 most recently used numbers
    12. And a partridge in a pear tree

Advertisement