Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cabbage Desktop / Cabbage Mobile mega thread (Desktop/mobile texting app)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

billbond4 wrote: »
    Yeah thats it, its aimed at business users, but us "normal" people can use it too.

http://www.o2online.ie/wps/wcm/connect/O2/Home/Business/Business+Solutions/Mobile+messaging/Desktop+text

I think I'll stick with Cabbage desktop. Free > not free :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭billbond4

Yeah your right, but its just an handy application to use while im abroad, as my webtexts are nearly used up, and I would have been paying for texts in my price plan anyway

billbond4 wrote: »
    Yeah your right, but its just an handy application to use while im abroad, as my webtexts are nearly used up, and I would have been paying for texts in my price plan anyway

when your texts are used up you should look into http://www.smsdiscount.com/. Cabbage supports that too along with a few other similar services and it lets you send texts that appear to come from your own number for ~3c per text depending on the destination country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭KStaford

Sam,

Is your website down ?
    http://www.cabbagetexter.com returns a page not found error

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

KStaford wrote: »
    Sam,

Is your website down ?
    http://www.cabbagetexter.com returns a page not found error
    Just tried it there and it works for me on my PC.

I have had a couple of problems lately though getting "server could not be found" errors etc which suggest not being able to contact the server. I've had these problems with an O2 SIM and none of such problems with a Vodafone one.

Are you on O2?

• Advertisement

Random wrote: »
    Just tried it there and it works for me on my PC.

I have had a couple of problems lately though getting "server could not be found" errors etc which suggest not being able to contact the server. I've had these problems with an O2 SIM and none of such problems with a Vodafone one.

Are you on O2?

im just trying to load the site in firefox on my laptop, not working

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Working fine for me in firefox. (UPC)

squared wrote: »
    Working fine for me in firefox.

actually, coe to think of it, I'm using o2 3g as my connection. I wonder if o2 are blocking the page?

working fine for me, maybe it is an o2 issue

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭billbond4

Think maybe there was something up with O2 data connections this morning, I was getting that message when I tried cabbage from my handset using GPRS, but when I switched to WiFi the text sent no problems.
    So maybe O2 were up to no good this morning, as its working fine now on GPRS

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I've noticed it the last 2 or 3 days. Was blaming Vimes's server but I noticed the same with powermyphone.com server too when Is switched to it.

Again, wifi and Vodafone work fine. The only common thing here is O2 data connection + I'm using an O2 login.

yea, back working again. Must have been be an o2 issue

• Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭The_Joker

KStaford, That's a barcode thingy as your sig isn't it, the kind the N95 is supposed to read, or am I way off?

How do I put this nicely *ahem* WT_ does it say/mean?? :confused:

The_Joker wrote: »
    KStaford, That's a barcode thingy as your sig isn't it, the kind the N95 is supposed to read, or am I way off?

The N95 is supposed to be able to read those. If you go to the cabbage mobile download page you'll see one that'll give you a link to it :)

But my N95 couldn't read his one either. There's probably too much data in it, when I was making mine the website warned that if I put too many characters some phones wouldn't be able to read it

Joker
    Yes you are right. It seems there are a few 2d barcode formats. The one I have here is pretty standard, there is ever a firefox plugin to generate 2dbc's for the current webpage etc in this format.

Have a look at this site
    http://www.quickmark.cn/En/basic/index.asp

You can create 2dbc's here and they have apps for loads of differnet mobile phones etc. Once your phone has a camera, you install a 2dbc reader and scan everything you see, its great fun.

As to what my 2dbc says, its a little profane so I couldn't repeat wthout a ban warning :)

KStaford wrote: »
    Joker
    Yes you are right. It seems there are a few 2d barcode formats......
    http://www.quickmark.cn/En/basic/index.asp
    As to what my 2dbc says, its a little profane so I couldn't repeat wthout a ban warning :)

I've been messing around with the bcs, a handy way of sending info etc.
    I still can't scan your one it must be packed to the gills or so profane the Nokia gets embarrassed :)

I've been messing around with the bcs, a handy way of sending info etc.
    I still can't scan your one it must be packed to the gills or so profane the Nokia gets embarrassed :)

no, its just a simple one liner, there are a few different formats, it could be a format issue, either that or you could try making it bigger in your browser (Ctrl + to zoom in, Ctrl - to zoom out, Ctrl 0 to reset)

My phone reads it from meters away instantly, mind you I have a sharp 5mp camera on it and a good processor

qrcode.png

yea mate, it does work :)

there 2dbc's are huge in Asia much more so than in the west. They are on everything over there. They put them on the side of coke cans, magazine ads, cereal boxes - you name it.
    Because they hold metadata (such as email addresses, urls, gps, sms messages, text, biz cards, phone numbers etc) they make clever marketing devices. Kids see the code on the cereal box and cant wait to scan it to see what treat lies behind it. They scan it and reveal a ulr that gives a away a free promotional offer or whathave you. I have even used them to encode and send an image (takes several barcodes spanned).
    They are also useful for encoding large amounts of data, they have huge business app potential. I personally find them fascinating.

Sorry Sam for going so off topic

Tis pretty good, it gives me a few ideas too :D

• Advertisement

Maybe you should start a 2D Barcode thread and ask a moderator to move the last few posts over to it. I'm sure it would interest a lot of people.

We are destroying Sams thread here by going completely off topic.

Very true! good idea

Sorry Sam

Mods can we move these last few posts to this thread please ?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=60384409#post60384409

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Old Jim

I have been unable to send any texts from cabbage mobile for the last few weeks.
    I get the following error message: "Could not conect to the server"
    I am using ver 1.6 on Vodafone.
    I have tried the following servers:
    http://cabbagetexter.com/send.php and http://powermyphone.com/caggage/send.php

Tried different a/c's too - same on both
    Am using a SE K800i
    Any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Does Cabbage work on Blackberries?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,177 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Do blackberries support j2me?

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Old Jim

Fixed. Went to the SE website and had the Internet settings re-sent to the phone. All's well again. It was killing me paying full whack for my text messages!
    Old Jim wrote: »
    I have been unable to send any texts from cabbage mobile for the last few weeks.
    I get the following error message: "Could not conect to the server"
    I am using ver 1.6 on Vodafone.
    I have tried the following servers:
    http://cabbagetexter.com/send.php and http://powermyphone.com/caggage/send.php

Tried different a/c's too - same on both
    Am using a SE K800i
    Any ideas?

Jonathan wrote: »
    Do blackberries support j2me?

I'm getting deja vu that I asked this before. I guess it does. :o

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

A feature request - I don't think this functionality exists in the current Cabbage app, but if it does please let me know so I can feel stupid! :D

I'd like a single button to allow you to delete all the contacts from the phone book.

Why, I hear you cry? It's like this:

I do some admin for a large volunteer organisation. I send different texts to different groups of people from time to time. The phone numbers are constantly changing, new ones are being added and old ones dropping out. Who is to receive which text is unpredictable too, as it can be based on multiple factors.

What I do is to delete the contacts in Cabbage, then upload the numbers of the ones I want to send a particular message to. Then send it. Then repeat...

Having to select each contact, press delete, then press confirm makes this process unviable.

Before you point it out, I know this is not how the app is meant to be used. In an ideal world I'd have all the numbers in the contacts, then make groups to send the text to from those contacts. This doesn't work for me, due to contact churn, and also because many of the texts & groups are one-offs. Building the relevant groups would take almost as long, especially as I have to alt-tab from screen to screen to get the relevant names.

If I had a "Delete all" button, I could simply delete, then import the numbers each time.

What do you think?

The contacts file is just a text file (book.txt). As a work around for now you could just close Cabbage, replace/rename the contacts file then reopen Cabbage. Do the same to switch back. Assuming you mean the PC version of Cabbage.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

BostonB wrote: »
    The contacts file is just a text file (book.txt). As a work around for now you could just close Cabbage, replace/rename the contacts file then reopen Cabbage. Do the same to switch back. Assuming you mean the PC version of Cabbage.

Didn't know that, thanks, that's definitely a workaround.

Advertisement