Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cabbage Desktop / Cabbage Mobile mega thread (Desktop/mobile texting app)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

BostonB wrote: »
    The contacts file is just a text file (book.txt). As a work around for now you could just close Cabbage, replace/rename the contacts file then reopen Cabbage. Do the same to switch back. Assuming you mean the PC version of Cabbage.

This would be the best way to do it (ie easiest for me :D)
    BostonB wrote: »
    I'm getting deja vu that I asked this before. I guess it does. :o

If it supports J2ME then you're away :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭KStaford

Feature Request

Sam,
    Would ther ebe any chance of implementing some keyboard functionality in the message textbox ?

Ctrl + A (select all)

Also, when you click send, the textbox gets disabled. Yu can no longer select your text. And then if the text fails (or even if it sends) the text dissapears. Perhaps you could leave the text?

Just a suggestion, love this app and very well done

Sam

One more thing, could you confirm that the group send is working ok. I jusy did a group send and it seemed to be 1 position off for each name that I had actually selected in the group.

KStaford wrote: »
    Feature Request

Sam,
    Would ther ebe any chance of implementing some keyboard functionality in the message textbox ?

Ctrl + A (select all)

Also, when you click send, the textbox gets disabled. Yu can no longer select your text. And then if the text fails (or even if it sends) the text dissapears. Perhaps you could leave the text?

Just a suggestion, love this app and very well done

CTRL+X and CTRL+C already work. I've put in CTRL+A functionality now (but not uploaded the change). Are there any other shortcuts you want implemented?

As for the text being deleted, are you using the latest version, V1.95.4?

http://cabbagetexter.com/Cabbage_Setup_1.95.4.exe

I thought I'd fixed that. Also, you should try out the outbox, read more about it here:
    http://cabbagetexter.com/cabbagedesktopchangelog.php
    Sam

One more thing, could you confirm that the group send is working ok. I jusy did a group send and it seemed to be 1 position off for each name that I had actually selected in the group.

Did it definitely send to the wrong people? Check the history to see. I did notice just now when I forced a group text to fail that it reported "Failed to send to.." and it had the wrong number but it had actually attempted to send it to the right number. I've fixed the problem of reporting wrong now (but again, not uploaded yet)

Hi Sam and many thanks

I was using 1.95.2 so just upgraded, will test it over the coming days. Yes it may be that the group send is behaving correctly but reporting incorrectly if you sit and watch it - bit unnerving

thanks again

kieran

EDIT: I see two new buttons - phonebook - Pick and Invis. What do they do ? If I click on em nothing happens

Also, just sent a text to myself using latest version. text still dissapears after sending.

• Advertisement

EDIT: I see two new buttons - phonebook - Pick and Invis. What do they do ? If I click on em nothing happens
    sorry they shouldn't be there, I put them in for testing for one person and forgot to take them out. Download it again and they should be gone. Make sure you're not getting a cached copy when you download it, maybe download with a different browser
    Also, just sent a text to myself using latest version. text still dissapears after sending.

How do you mean? If sending succeeds, the text is supposed to disappear so you can write a new message. Is it still disappearing if the text fails?

Or if you mean you want it to stay there even if it succeeds so you can send it to someone else, that's what group texts are for :)

my preference is for the text to remain after either a successful send or an error. I realise this is subjective so dont mind me. (Maybe you could add an option in a later release to allow the user to decide whether textbox clears or not after send).

thanks again sam

my preference is for the text to remain after either a successful send or an error. I realise this is subjective so dont mind me. (Maybe you could add an option in a later release to allow the user to decide whether textbox clears or not after send).

thanks again sam

I can understand why you would occasionally want to send the same text a few times without using a group text but it being the default would just annoy me tbh because the vast majority of times I wouldn't want it to be there and for the very few times I want it, I can go into the history and forward it. So why do you want it to stay there all the time?

CTRL+A should work in that version and the group text reporting problem should be fixed

Fair enough, and as I say its a subjective thing. But I cant tell you the amount of times that I have been caught out by the dissapearing text....

I type a text, send it and while its sending (its now disabled so I cannot make a copy of it) I decide I'd like to send this to mate2 and mate 3 etc (usually telling them to watch a tv show ). For me an option to retain text would be brilliant.

1. Ctrl A now let sme select text if I wanna overwrite it
    2. Perhaps the textbox onclick event could select all

These 2 solutions above would solve the problem of overwrting existing text, this coupled with a checkbox option to enable/disable the behaviour

Just my 2cents mate. I adore the program and you are one of the freeware heroes

kieran

Fair enough, and as I say its a subjective thing. But I cant tell you the amount of times that I have been caught out by the dissapearing text....

I type a text, send it and while its sending (its now disabled so I cannot make a copy of it) I decide I'd like to send this to mate2 and mate 3 etc (usually telling them to watch a tv show ). For me an option to retain text would be brilliant.
    What's wrong with more->history->forward once it's sent :)

2. Perhaps the textbox onclick event could select all
    oooo I wouldn't like that. Selecting all is not what people generally want to do when they click on a text area, in almost all cases they want to place the cursor and that's what people expect
    Just my 2cents mate. I adore the program and you are one of the freeware heroes

Why thank you :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭byrner88

can i use my wireless internet with cabbage to send free txts insted of paying to use the internet on my phone

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

byrner88 wrote: »
    can i use my wireless internet with cabbage to send free txts insted of paying to use the internet on my phone

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

There's an intermittent problem on o2 at the moment. It's not to do with my server because it's happening with the powermyphone.com server too. There's not much I can do about it I'm afraid

I want to test something related to the O2 problem. Could someone pm me if they have a server where I could put the scripts temporarily?
    Preferably a server that has never had the scripts on it before

It has to support php and have php safe mode disabled

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    I want to test something related to the O2 problem. Could someone pm me if they have a server where I could put the scripts temporarily?
    Preferably a server that has never had the scripts on it before

It has to support php and have php safe mode disabled

PM sent.

Ron DMC has kindly uploaded the scripts to his server. I need a few o2 customers to change the server in Cabbage mobile to his to see if o2 are doing something to block known cabbage servers.

PM me for the address but I'll only be giving it to a few people to test out in case giving it to too many makes o2 put a block on this new one

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,177 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

They could be checking the referrer.

Last time I checked sam had google dot ie as the referrer i think.

I don't think they are in that case, I think it's just network instability
    Jonathan wrote: »
    They could be checking the referrer.

Last time I checked sam had google dot ie as the referrer i think.

The google.ie referrer is between the server and the o2 website. Since the error is "Cannot connect to server", it's not even getting that far

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,177 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

The google.ie referrer is between the server and the o2 website. Since the error is "Cannot connect to server", it's not even getting that far
    Oooooohh... I didn't cop that..

That is a different story all together :confused:

Do other packet based things work? Bart and IRLCG etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭billbond4

I dunno if this helps you, im on O2.
    On Saturday morning I kept on getting the message "Cannot connect to server" when I was trying to send a text via GPRS.
    But when I switched on the WiFi on my phone the text sent no problem.

So it would seem to be something on O2's data network stopping the
    connection somewhere, I didnt try and go online via GPRS on my phone as Im abroad and didnt want to get a nice bill for data roaming.

Sam

If I type a message, then click group and check a couple of names, and then click send. The message dissapears completely from the textbox eventhough it appears to send. Very unnerving

regards

kieran

billbond4 wrote: »
    I dunno if this helps you, im on O2.
    On Saturday morning I kept on getting the message "Cannot connect to server" when I was trying to send a text via GPRS.
    But when I switched on the WiFi on my phone the text sent no problem.

So it would seem to be something on O2's data network stopping the
    connection somewhere, I didnt try and go online via GPRS on my phone as Im abroad and didnt want to get a nice bill for data roaming.

Yeah it's definitely a problem with O2.
    Jonathan wrote: »
    Oooooohh... I didn't cop that..

That is a different story all together :confused:

Do other packet based things work? Bart and IRLCG etc?

I was just about to ask that :)

Can a few people try out bart and the cinema guide app from here:
    http://damohere.freehostia.com/

to see if they have the same problem? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

Hey just thought I would throw in my 2cents - it works fine for me no issues! first I heard of problems was here! to help you sam (duno if it makes a difference) but i am bill pay and have a data plan.

Thanks for a great app! :)

Sam

If I type a message, then click group and check a couple of names, and then click send. The message dissapears completely from the textbox eventhough it appears to send. Very unnerving

regards

kieran

I've been meaning to change that because that should only happen if you have the outbox enabled. Rest assured it does send :)
    eoferrall wrote: »
    Hey just thought I would throw in my 2cents - it works fine for me no issues! first I heard of problems was here! to help you sam (duno if it makes a difference) but i am bill pay and have a data plan.

Thanks for a great app! :)

That does make a difference. You are on o2 yes? MY friend on o2 bill pay is having problems. What type of hpone do you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

That does make a difference. You are on o2 yes? MY friend on o2 bill pay is having problems. What type of hpone do you have?

Yes i am on o2 and i have a samsung omnia (awesome phone!) :D

I've made some changes to how the program sends. Could anyone who's having this problem go to this link on their phone:
    http://cabbagetexter.com/dl1.6.1

and let me know if it's any better

• Advertisement

That is a java one, jad stands for java application descriptor. What's supposed to happen is it downloads that file which gives the phone some info about the app and tells it where to get the app itself, so the phone goes and downloads it. It's working for me....

But since it's not working for you, here's a direct link:
    http://cabbagetexter.com/mobile/Cabbage_Mobile_1.6.1.jar

The capitals in Cabbage and Mobile matter. You might find that the direct link fails too, if so you'll have to uninstall the app and install it again

Advertisement