Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cabbage Desktop / Cabbage Mobile mega thread (Desktop/mobile texting app)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

A computer doesn't understand a jad file, it's a j2me thing.
    The only thing I changed was that now it's making a get request instead of a post.

It's slighty less secure because your info is part of the url but now that I know it works I might put in some basic encryption

It's not that big a deal though. The program was making a get request up until a few months ago and no one had any issues. It's just in case my server ever gets hacked or something like that

Change back to my server btw

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,177 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

rot18 for souperdouper security :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

Re Cabbage Mobile v1.6:

-Could it be possible to have the contact name and not the phone number display on the "sending to .." screen?
    -Would it be possible to scrap the "Delete recent" [numbers sent to] menu item on the Send screen? It would make it easier to send a text without having the Send/Delete recent options at that stage? would be easier to just have the Send option so that the text is sent in one less click?
    -Would it be possible to add (<network name>) after the Account number, and perhaps even how many texts left for the current month on the account? Could this info possible be taken from the "x messages left" screen? Something like " * 0861234567 (o2, 30/250 left)" I have a number of different accts for webtexts and this would save some time, if you forgot whether you have any webtexts left in either one of these
    -From the 1.6 changelog: "On the text screen the current login name appears" - it would maybe be better to remove the "Login:" part and only show the number of the webtext account, since I have discovered that on both SE and Nokia phones, the number will not fit in, but I guess it would if the Login: part was removed
    -From the 1.5 changelog: "Now if you're not sure if a text sent, you can press options->recent texts->find the text in question->press options->view and below the time stamp is the response that was given (eg "Message sent. 200 messages left" ...) Could it be possible for the account phone number also be mentioned here?

Thanks for all the hard work! Now looking forward to the 3 webtext support!! :)

• Advertisement

-Could it be possible to have the contact name and not the phone number display on the "sending to .." screen?
    done

-Would it be possible to scrap the "Delete recent" [numbers sent to] menu item on the Send screen? It would make it easier to send a text without having the Send/Delete recent options at that stage? would be easier to just have the Send option so that the text is sent in one less click?
    done I think. Let me know if it's not gone

-Would it be possible to add (<network name>) after the Account number,
    If you want to have the network name after the account name you can just add that to the names :)

- and perhaps even how many texts left for the current month on the account? Could this info possible be taken from the "x messages left" screen? Something like " * 0861234567 (o2, 30/250 left)" I have a number of different accts for webtexts and this would save some time, if you forgot whether you have any webtexts left in either one of these
    That would become confusing because if people use it from multiple locations the number would never be right. The alternative is to get a new value every time the program loads but that increases data transfer unnecessarily. So no I don't think I'll be doing that :(

-From the 1.6 changelog: "On the text screen the current login name appears" - it would maybe be better to remove the "Login:" part and only show the number of the webtext account, since I have discovered that on both SE and Nokia phones, the number will not fit in, but I guess it would if the Login: part was removed
    done

-From the 1.5 changelog: "Now if you're not sure if a text sent, you can press options->recent texts->find the text in question->press options->view and below the time stamp is the response that was given (eg "Message sent. 200 messages left" ...) Could it be possible for the account phone number also be mentioned here?
    done

and it should now support 3 as well.

you can download it to your pc here:

http://cabbagetexter.com/mobile/Cabbage_Mobile_1.6.2.jar
    http://cabbagetexter.com/mobile/Cabbage_Mobile_1.6.2.jad

(you have to install from the jad. The best thing is to copy them over to the phone and use the phone itself to install it)

or to download directly to your phone:

http://cabbagetexter.com/dl1.6.2

Cabbage desktop should now support 3. Download it here:

http://cabbagetexter.com/Cabbage_Setup_1.95.5.exe

For it to work you have to go into more->configuration and make sure "send via intermediate server" is ticked

and then go into more->manage servers and make sure "http://cabbagetexter.com/send.php&quot; is ticked

As always report all bugs :)

Sam,

Great turnaround time - thanks!! Will dl the new build now.

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    done I think. Let me know if it's not gone
    Yes, it's gone - cheers.
    And Three webtexts work flawlessly!

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Soot-fan

i'm getting

Error: (-2) Could not connect to network site

I'm new to this, any ideas how to resolve this.

i used my mobile no. as login and pin as password.( also with 353)

it worked on the 3 website the first time ( cant find the login of webtext now)

help appreciated

• Advertisement

Soot-fan wrote: »
    i'm getting

Error: (-2) Could not connect to network site

I'm new to this, any ideas how to resolve this.

i used my mobile no. as login and pin as password.( also with 353)

it worked on the 3 website the first time ( cant find the login of webtext now)

help appreciated

I'm a bit confused.

what do you mean by you used the pin also with 353?

What pin did you put into the program? it has to be the same pin you use to log into the three website

Is this the desktop or the mobile version?

sorry i ment tried alternative phone no. using the 353
    number.....ie 00353087...... 087........

i used the pin 3 text to me.

i'm using the desktop version

sorry i ment tried alternative phone no. using the 353
    number.....ie 00353087...... 087........

i used the pin 3 text to me.

i'm using the desktop version

Right. You need to have your number in the format 087, not 0035387 or anything like that.

the first thing to do is double check you have the info in right. Click more->manage logins->select your login and click edit

then make sure the phone number is in as 087, the password is right, the network three is selected and remember password is ticked

If you click more->configuration, is "send messages via intermediate server" ticked?

and if you click more->manage servers, is "http://cabbagetexter.com/send.php&quot; ticked?

yes its working now...... thank you.

is there a mobile version available yet for 3 mobile.

thanks again

yes its working now...... thank you.

is there a mobile version available yet for 3 mobile.

thanks again

What was the problem? Most likely use server wasn't ticked right?

There is a mobile version for 3, you can get it by typing this address into your phone: http://cabbagetexter.com/dl1.6.2

What phoen do you have? It doesn't work on all phones

your right its was the server.
    I've got a N95..... (hopefully soon to be N97 )
    that JAD file wont work. Have you got the JAR version.
    i installed an earlier version using JAR.

your right its was the server.
    I've got a N95..... (hopefully soon to be N97 )
    that JAD file wont work. Have you got the JAR version.
    i installed an earlier version using JAR.

The newer versions have to be installed from the jad file. It's working on my N95. You can't download the file to your computer and transfer it across with the usb cable, you need to type the address directly into your phone's browser

What happens when you do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

How'd you delete the history in cabbage?

dmcg90 wrote: »
    How'd you delete the history in cabbage?

Now i think of it I forgot to put an option to delete history when i updated it. If you want to delete it you can press the "open history file" button and manually delete entries from the file

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

done

Why not making it say sending to 0861234567 (John) ?
    - and perhaps even how many texts left for the current month on the account? Could this info possible be taken from the "x messages left" screen? Something like " * 0861234567 (o2, 30/250 left)" I have a number of different accts for webtexts and this would save some time, if you forgot whether you have any webtexts left in either one of these
    That would become confusing because if people use it from multiple locations the number would never be right. The alternative is to get a new value every time the program loads but that increases data transfer unnecessarily. So no I don't think I'll be doing that

Please don't implement this. At least make it optional.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gpjordanf1

Hi When I download the mobile version for 3, it starts the install the stops and says "compulsiory attributes missing", my phone is a Nokia 6280, any advice?

The newer versions have to be installed from the jad file. It's working on my N95. You can't download the file to your computer and transfer it across with the usb cable, you need to type the address directly into your phone's browser

What happens when you do that?

yep that worked great. thanks. Do you know of uk version i can install and send to uk numbers. I would have the uk sim details for 02.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

yep that worked great. thanks. Do you know of uk version i can install and send to uk numbers. I would have the uk sim details for 02.
    Do O2 UK provide webtext? If not then you won't be able to use them as such. I'm not sure if they do or not though.

You could always use an O2 IE SIM to send to UK numbers (it'll show as coming from your O2 IE number).

Alternatively you can sign up with some providers who allow you to setup a text as having come from your number, but it's sent through their service.

gpjordanf1 wrote: »
    Hi When I download the mobile version for 3, it starts the install the stops and says "compulsiory attributes missing", my phone is a Nokia 6280, any advice?

Try installing from the jar

The capital letters in Cabbage and Mobile matter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gpjordanf1

Try installing from the jar

The capital letters in Cabbage and Mobile matter

Working perfectly thanks Sam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭mjsmyth

Just for those using the desktop version and Windows 7, I found that I had to run the application with XP Compatibilty selected in the properties as it would not save any of my configuration settings.

Great app by the way. Thanks.

MJ

mjsmyth wrote: »
    Just for those using the desktop version and Windows 7, I found that I had to run the application with XP Compatibilty selected in the properties as it would not save any of my configuration settings.

Great app by the way. Thanks.

MJ

That's odd because someone emailed me a few weeks ago saying it worked fine on Windows 7. And having had a quick look it seems windows 7 stores the configuration files in the same way that vista does and it works fine on vista.

I'll look into it a bit more....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Been using this a lot in the last few days on my n95, best app i have installed. The only things i've noticed, if you press the button to go to the next screen when you have a text typed, if you still have the last word of the text underlined from predicative text, it deletes if for some reason. Not a big thing but sometimes i need to remember to take the predicative highlight off the word or i lose it. Also, is there a way where the program will just automatically do all the connecting after i click send, i mean automaticaly jsut select wireless if it's available and if not go to gprs? Neither of these problems are big deals or anything, it's a great app, especially if you need to text somebody abroad a lot like i do.

griffdaddy wrote: »
    The only things i've noticed, if you press the button to go to the next screen when you have a text typed, if you still have the last word of the text underlined from predicative text, it deletes if for some reason. Not a big thing but sometimes i need to remember to take the predicative highlight off the word or i lose it.
    Yeah that is a problem but I haven't found a way around it unfortunately. I just make a point of taking off the predictive text highlight before pressing enter.

griffdaddy wrote: »
    Also, is there a way where the program will just automatically do all the connecting after i click send, i mean automaticaly jsut select wireless if it's available and if not go to gprs? Neither of these problems are big deals or anything, it's a great app, especially if you need to text somebody abroad a lot like i do.

I'm afraid that's not possible. I could make it so you don't have to confirm permission to access the internet but I'd have to buy a certificate for it to do that and they're expensive.

As for selecting the access point, java can't do that afaik. If you go ito applications->app manager->highlight cabbage and press options->open, you can select a default access point for it to use so you don't have to pick it every time but there is no way I know of to make it pick wifi if it's available

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

I'm afraid that's not possible. I could make it so you don't have to confirm permission to access the internet but I'd have to buy a certificate for it to do that and they're expensive.
    If you have your phone cracked to ignore certificates (as I do), anything and everything can be installed. Expired certificates, no certificates, anything. Very handy when testing any homebrew apps.
    Unless there's some other certificate you're talking about for connections.
    As for selecting the access point, java can't do that afaik. If you go ito applications->app manager->highlight cabbage and press options->open, you can select a default access point for it to use so you don't have to pick it every time but there is no way I know of to make it pick wifi if it's available
    There's actually some apps that create a new access point that you can name 'Best connection' or whatever. You can set this as the default access point, and the access point will choose from your access points in whatever order you like by what's available.
    I think it came as standard on my e71.

Advertisement