Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cabbage Desktop / Cabbage Mobile mega thread (Desktop/mobile texting app)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    Baza210 wrote: »
    Strange bugs in .8, went back to .7. Forget my suggestions Sam :P
    What was happening?

Never mind I see what you mean. The main interface keeps randomly freezing. Let's just forget about that idea ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Hi Sam,

Running desktop version 1.95.6 Whenever I send a group text - after cabbage appears to have finished sending the messages - the interface is completely frozen. I have to kill it from task manager. This happens on Vista SP2 and Win7 RC.

Is it just me?

Thanks, ambrose

Hi Sam,

Running desktop version 1.95.6 Whenever I send a group text - after cabbage appears to have finished sending the messages - the interface is completely frozen. I have to kill it from task manager. This happens on Vista SP2 and Win7 RC.

Is it just me?

Thanks, ambrose

Could you upgrade to .7 and see if it makes a difference?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

since yesterday, when i go to send a text i get the unexpected responce format messege. but when i resend it it seems to go through everytime, ie . i get the remaining texts messege.

always fails first time round, but goes second time round.

Nokia E51
    Meteor PAYG

thanks sam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Hi Sam,

Took me a bit to find the download link for .7 Looks like the problem I had is gone. :)

Thanks again!
    ambrose

Edit: Nope. Still having this problem. I noticed that when I get the notification that the group text has sent, it's fine. But when I don't it locks up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Epic Tissue

Mine hasn't been working for a good few days now. I get the Error: (-7) Precheck: Network website failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

I'm assuming that the efficiency/success rate of sending a text still depends on your phone provider, as usually after 9pm on a Saturday most of my messages usually fail to go. But that said I do get a virtually 100% success rate outside of late Saturdays.

I'm using Desktop cabbage only.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

danjo-xx wrote: »
    I'm assuming that the efficiency/success rate of sending a text still depends on your phone provider, as usually after 9pm on a Saturday most of my messages usually fail to go. But that said I do get a virtually 100% success rate outside of late Saturdays.

I imagine that would be down to the reliability of your providers site or your internet connection being patchy at that time.

To get the best efficiency, click more->configuration and make sure "send messages via intermediate server" is unticked. That means it's communicating directly with the network site instead of through my server and any intermittent failures are down to their site giving problems
    kceire wrote: »
    since yesterday, when i go to send a text i get the unexpected responce format messege. but when i resend it it seems to go through everytime, ie . i get the remaining texts messege.

always fails first time round, but goes second time round.

Nokia E51
    Meteor PAYG

thanks sam.

Is this still happening? The meteor website is still a bit ropey since they updated it so it's probably that since it works sometimes.
    Hi Sam,

Took me a bit to find the download link for .7 Looks like the problem I had is gone. :)

Thanks again!
    ambrose

Edit: Nope. Still having this problem. I noticed that when I get the notification that the group text has sent, it's fine. But when I don't it locks up.

Try this one: http://cabbagetexter.com/Cabbage_Setup_1.95.8.exe
    I made a change that might effect it

I'm not sure of exactly the scenario you're describing. When this happens:
    1. Does it successfully send to all the contacts you selected?
    2. Does the group form reappear when it's finished?
    3. Does anything else happen, eg a message box with an error or does it just stop sending messages?
    Mine hasn't been working for a good few days now. I get the Error: (-7) Precheck: Network website failed.
    1. Are you using the latest version?
    2. In your firewall make sure the program cabbagesender.exe has internet access permission.
    3. Click more->configuration and if "Send messages via intermediate server" is ticked, untick it and vice versa. See if that makes a difference
    4. What happens when you click more->extras->check for updates?
    5. How long does it take for the error to come up after you click send?
    6. Could you paste this address into the windows explorer address bar "%appdata%\cabbage" (without the quotes), and send me the file "log.txt" if it exists. You can send it to cabbagetexting [at] gmail.com

Sam said:
    To get the best efficiency, click more->configuration and make sure "send messages via intermediate server" is unticked. That means it's communicating directly with the network site instead of through my server and any intermittent failures are down to their site giving problems

That option is showing as *dimmed* and ticked, not sure what that means.
    Any chance of a few little smilies. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Is this still happening? The meteor website is still a bit ropey since they updated it so it's probably that since it works sometimes.

Hi Sam, still happening all day today. except this time they dont go at all, not on the second or even third attempts.

just get the Unexpected response format messege

kceire wrote: »
    Hi Sam, still happening all day today. except this time they dont go at all, not on the second or even third attempts.

just get the Unexpected response format messege

Can you try changing your server to http://powermyphone.com/cabbage/send.php

You do it by pressing options->accounts->options->edit server

edit: and do you have a login from another network that you can try?

Sam said:

That option is showing as *dimmed* and ticked, not sure what that means.
    Any chance of a few little smilies. :)

Do you have "Use old sending method" ticked? If so untick it and try again?

Do you have "Use old sending method" ticked? If so untick it and try again?

Yeah I had to tick it, because my messages wouldn't go with the newer system but no worries it's working fab otherwise. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Btw Sam, using .7 it's prompting me to download .6 every startup :(

Baza210 wrote: »
    Btw Sam, using .7 it's prompting me to download .6 every startup :(

I haven't updated the website yet. For the moment you should click more->configuration and untick 'check for updates on startup'
    Yeah I had to tick it, because my messages wouldn't go with the newer system but no worries it's working fab otherwise. :cool:

Usually the reason for that is you're missing the .NET Framework 2.0. Could you install it, set it to use the new method and see if it makes a difference?

Sam said: Usually the reason for that is you're missing the .NET Framework 2.0. Could you install it, set it to use the new method and see if it makes a difference?

ah now were suckin diesel:D thanks Sam. *whispers* any chance of a couple of smiles.......

ah now were suckin diesel:D thanks Sam. *whispers* any chance of a couple of smiles.......

Great :)

Do you mean smilies, as in these things:):(:pac:?

Just to be clear, you know that even if I make them appear as smilies in the text box, they won't appear as such on the person's phone unless the phone automatically does smilies itself, like Sony ericssons do?

Great :)

Do you mean smilies, as in these things:):(:pac:?

Just to be clear, you know that even if I make them appear as smilies in the text box, they won't appear as such on the person's phone unless the phone automatically does smilies itself, like Sony ericssons do?

yup those lads :):D just a few, I know not every phone will be able to display them, but still!! A lot of Nokia's seem to have them now.

thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

Started using cabbage from the mobile a few days ago and its very handy indeed! And reliable. Nice one SamV!

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭mk6705

jordainius wrote: »
    Started using cabbage from the mobile a few days ago and its very handy indeed! And reliable. Nice one SamV!

I think making smileys appear in Cabbage would be fairly hard? It's in VB and putting a picture in a text box couldn't be done...At the very least it would involve alot of re-writing as opposed to just "feckin' them in".

Adro947 wrote: »
    I think making smileys appear in Cabbage would be fairly hard? It's in VB and putting a picture in a text box couldn't be done...At the very least it would involve alot of re-writing as opposed to just "feckin' them in".

There is a VB object called a rich text box that can do some more advanced stuff but I'm not sure exactly what it can do. I'll look into it and see how much work it would be or if it's even possible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

There is a VB object called a rich text box that can do some more advanced stuff but I'm not sure exactly what it can do. I'll look into it and see how much work it would be or if it's even possible
    Make it optional ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

Hi Sam

The other day I downloaded Cabbage to both my sisters phones.One of them on a nokia E51 got a lot more options, like using phone contacts.

I don't get that option using a Tocco. Am I doing something wrong?

Also, nothing really to do with Cabbage but just looking to borrow your expertise:
    My other sister downloaded it on her mobile and got charged €11.64 for data usage of 656kb:eek:

We're all on Meteor!

Thanks

jarvis wrote: »
    Hi Sam

The other day I downloaded Cabbage to both my sisters phones.One of them on a nokia E51 got a lot more options, like using phone contacts.

I don't get that option using a Tocco. Am I doing something wrong?
    The option to use phone contacts is a standard java object and doesn't work on some phones. If you click into the destination number text box as if you're about to type a number and press options you should see the option to do it. If its not there your phone doesn't support it

Were there any other options that weren't there?
    jarvis wrote: »
    Also, nothing really to do with Cabbage but just looking to borrow your expertise:
    My other sister downloaded it on her mobile and got charged €11.64 for data usage of 656kb:eek:

We're all on Meteor!

Thanks
    Firstly I'm afraid that's ex vat, 656KB is €13.12 at 2c per kb. I'm assuming she's on bill pay? If she's on prepay it should have been capped at 99c

But the app is only 92KB so I don't know why it would cost that much to download it. It's possible she had bad coverage and it had to do multiple retries. I doubt there's anything she can do to get her money back unfortunately, just from now on she should use wifi to download big files

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

hey Id like to say well done on the app

Ive installed it to my 5800 and its even on my homescreeen :)

I have only one slight problem, when its on my homescreen the icon is blurry and doesnt fit in with the others- it fills the whole space of the short cut bar whereas the shortcut to calender is slightly smaller

however this is just me nit picking and I love cabbage!(not the real kind, that be nasteh)

woop wrote: »
    Thank you :)

I have only one slight problem, when its on my homescreen the icon is blurry and doesnt fit in with the others- it fills the whole space of the short cut bar whereas the shortcut to calender is slightly smaller

however this is just me nit picking and I love cabbage!(not the real kind, that be nasteh)

I'll look into it anyway and see if there's anything I can do to make the image look right

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaSCaDe711

How about setting your wallpaper with a picture containing lots of cabbages, the icon will blend in lovely then :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

CaSCaDe711 wrote: »
    How about setting your wallpaper with a picture containing lots of cabbages, the icon will blend in lovely then :p

Cabbages.jpg

Advertisement