Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cabbage Desktop / Cabbage Mobile mega thread (Desktop/mobile texting app)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Boxfresh

I just came across this thread the last day and I installed this on my desktop, I'm just after installing it on my N95 phone now and it's an amazing app! I think a donation is in order! Fantastic app thanks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Boxfresh wrote: »
    I just came across this thread the last day and I installed this on my desktop, I'm just after installing it on my N95 phone now and it's an amazing app! I think a donation is in order! Fantastic app thanks :D

And donate you did :)

Thanks. Glad you like it

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaSCaDe711

Likewise, time I showed my appreciation and donated too. Keep up the good work Sam.

CaSCaDe711 wrote: »
    Likewise, time I showed my appreciation and donated too. Keep up the good work Sam.

Thanks very much CaSCaDe. I'll be able to get a new yacht at this rate :D

Another one..? :D

Was wondering, would it be possible to increase the numbers of saved texts on Cabbage Mobile to more than 10.? Maybe even unlimited, and the user can delete when required.

• Advertisement

Another one..? :D

Was wondering, would it be possible to increase the numbers of saved texts on Cabbage Mobile to more than 10.? Maybe even unlimited, and the user can delete when required.

It can't be unlimited because the app only has a certain amount of space allocated to it but I could make it 100 or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

squared wrote: »
    Just a small feature suggestion here. Can you add an option in the mobile version of this app to check how many messages you have left. At the moment you have to send a text to find out.
    Has this been implemented yet? Also a check for updates option in the mobile app might be handy. ;)

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    It can't be unlimited because the app only has a certain amount of space allocated to it but I could make it 100 or something

Yeah, that'd be great.

Has this been implemented yet?
    Done
    Also a check for updates option in the mobile app might be handy. ;)
    Done
    Yeah, that'd be great.
    Done

:)

http://cabbagetexter.com/Cabbage_Mobile_1.71.jar
    http://cabbagetexter.com/Cabbage_Mobile_1.71.jad

or on your phone go to:
    http://cabbagetexter.com/latestmob

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭deep1

Thanks for great feature Sam,
    I just checked Remaining message it showed me 275 , i only have 240 left.
    has anybody else checked this?

• Advertisement

deep1 wrote: »
    Thanks for great feature Sam,
    I just checked Remaining message it showed me 275 , i only have 240 left.
    has anybody else checked this?

That's because I have 275 messages left and I had hard coded my login details into the check messages function and forgot to change it :D

If you download it again it should be fine now

Fair play Sam, your progam just keeps getting better :)

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭daigo75

Hi again,
    A question came to my mind. I wrote you about the inability of opening the internal phonebook on the Samsung S5230. At the monent, on a Nokia 6300 for example, you do it by "clicking" on the phone number field, do you think it would be possible to add a menu item to look up the phonebook?

daigo75 wrote: »
    Hi again,
    A question came to my mind. I wrote you about the inability of opening the internal phonebook on the Samsung S5230. At the monent, on a Nokia 6300 for example, you do it by "clicking" on the phone number field, do you think it would be possible to add a menu item to look up the phonebook?

Unfortunately not. I don't control that menu item, it's added by the Java Runtime environment. That's why on a nokia it says "Add from contacts" and on a Sony Ericsson it says "Look up". If I added it it would say the same thing. I just add a specific type of text box with the property TextField.PHONENUMBER and Java handles the rest. There is no other way to access your phone book due to security reasons

edit: have a look here:
    http://www.coderanch.com/t/229685/Java-Micro-Edition/Mobile/we-access-PhoneBook-through-J
    No you do not have access to the Phone Book, as it is outside the sandbox. Now a device manufacturer can provide their own proprietary API for connecting to their phonebook, however, this is a big security risk. If I could write a J2ME app that access your PhoneBook, I could in theory delete all your entries without you knowing, and you would be really really mad.

You can get phone nummbers form the Phonebook through a TextBox, but only read only and only as a way to select a number from a "dropdown"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,564 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Quick question which I hope hasn't been asked (and to which I think I know the answer!):

When I send a text with Cabbage, I have to click 'yes' to two security questions to give permission to the program to access the net. A minor inconvenience as you can guess. Phone is a HTC Touch Diamond. Looking through the settings there seems to be no option to allow Java unrestricted net access. Is there another way round this?

Thanks

PS Donation made.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,177 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Quick question which I hope hasn't been asked (and to which I think I know the answer!):

When I send a text with Cabbage, I have to click 'yes' to two security questions to give permission to the program to access the net. A minor inconvenience as you can guess. Phone is a HTC Touch Diamond. Looking through the settings there seems to be no option to allow Java unrestricted net access. Is there another way round this?

Thanks

PS Donation made.
    You need a cert to sign the app to avoid that AFAIK.

Thanks

PS Donation made.

There should only be one security question, what do they both say?

But anyway, you're right there is no option to disable them. The only way to do it is to buy a certificate and sign the app and they're quite expensive. Another thing is that I like to keep the program associated with "Sam Vimes" instead of my real name and if I paid for a signature I wouldn't be able to do that because all of my info would be included in it.

It's an unfortunate annoyance but I don't think getting the cert is worth it. On most phones nowadays you can minimise the app and leave it running in the background so it'll only ask you to confirm once whenever you restart your phone which achieves pretty much the same thing :)

Thank you for your donation btw. Glad you find it useful

• Registered Users Posts: 9,564 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

There should only be one security question, what do they both say?

First says that Cabbage will use airtime which may cost - do I allow net access? Second asks whether I want the program to ask me re net access 'next time' or 'next session'.

I guess leaving it minimised in the background might sort it alright. I'm normally pretty fanatical about shutting programs when I'm finished using them!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭wba88

Hey Sam,

Firts of all have to say excellent app! Fair play.

I just have one suggestion to make this app better (though it might be impossible). Is there anyway of programming it so that when I recieve a message I can click reply and it asks me for example
    reply via text message (which normally happen on your phone)
    reply via cabbage (an additional option which would launch the app and automatically insert the persons phone number)

Looking back at that now it does seem far fetched but hey if ya dont ask....

First says that Cabbage will use airtime which may cost - do I allow net access? Second asks whether I want the program to ask me re net access 'next time' or 'next session'.
    Ah right. There might be an option to get rid of the second one. On nokias anyway you can set whether an app has to ask for network access every time, first time or never (never is only available if it's signed)
    I guess leaving it minimised in the background might sort it alright. I'm normally pretty fanatical about shutting programs when I'm finished using them!

Sure one little app won't do any harm ;)

• Advertisement

wba88 wrote: »
    Hey Sam,

Firts of all have to say excellent app! Fair play.

I just have one suggestion to make this app better (though it might be impossible). Is there anyway of programming it so that when I recieve a message I can click reply and it asks me for example
    reply via text message (which normally happen on your phone)
    reply via cabbage (an additional option which would launch the app and automatically insert the persons phone number)

Looking back at that now it does seem far fetched but hey if ya dont ask....
    no harm in asking but it's not possible I'm afraid. I'd have to develop custom firmware for the phone to so that

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

I'd have to develop custom firmware for the phone to so that

Would you ever do that over the weekend, it will probably be wet anyway, sure it is only a program. :D

ardmacha wrote: »
    Would you ever do that over the weekend, it will probably be wet anyway, sure it is only a program. :D

Well I did all the nokias this afternoon and I hope to have the Sony Ericssons done by half 9 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Well I did all the nokias this afternoon and I hope to have the Sony Ericssons done by half 9

Very wise to start with those, the documentation in Korean for the Samsungs is pretty hard to follow, the verbs are tricky.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭vodkasoda

I've checked back over a few pages and can't find anything so I assume I'm the only one having this problem :eek: ... is Meteor really that unpopular ?!?!?!

For some bizarre reason, Meteor have added an "are you human" level to their login and I therefore have to type in one of these stupid unreadable letter combinations in order to get into my account ... that, I assume, is why I am getting a Cabbage message as follows : "Error: (-7) Precheck: Network website failed" ... I hope I'm wrong !!!

Does this mean Cabbage will no longer be usable with Meteor :( ?!?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Pyro Boy

vodkasoda wrote: »
    For some bizarre reason, Meteor have added an "are you human" level to their login and I therefore have to type in one of these stupid unreadable letter combinations in order to get into my account ... that, I assume, is why I am getting a Cabbage message as follows : "Error: (-7) Precheck: Network website failed" ... I hope I'm wrong !!!Does this mean Cabbage will no longer be usable with Meteor :( ?!?!?

Is this what you are getting? (see attachment)

The only reason you get this is if you entered in your pin wrong (or someone else tried ;). once you enter it in again correctly and the "stupid unreadable letter combinations" the meteor site won't show it . So cabbage should work.

Edit:
    It isn't that great security either once you log in you come to the image above to prove that you are human ..... if you don't fill in the the letter combination you can still get into the account by clicking "send web text" this bypasses the CAPTCHA security and loads the mymeteor login. (make sure to fill in the CAPTCHA image if you don't want to see this image every time you log on

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭vodkasoda

Yes that's the screen & yes you're right, thanks ... I guess one of the kids may have tried to log in & not known my password, either that or I tried to type it in when I was pissed :o !!!

Anyway, I've logged in & out properly, re-tried Cabbage, and it works again ... cheers for that :cool: ...

I see I'm not required here. Carry on :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Sam, used the mobile version of Cabbage quite extensively over the last week, found it great for when I was roaming in France. One bug that I noticed was that if you add a new number to your Cabbage contacts, the next time you send a message, even to someone already in your contacts, the option to Add Number is shown rather than the Back button, after a successful sending.

Couple of other suggestions, if you don't mind my impertinence :P
    The Delete Rec button should be in the options menu, in my opinion. I've accidentally pressed it a couple of times by accident which is quite annoying as the recent contacts list is very useful. However, the list appears to grow to quite a large number, to the extent that I couldn't the actual phone number any more ... is the list's length limited?

As you mentioned earlier, minimizing Cabbage is quite useful ... is there a possibility that an option could be added to replace the Exit buttons with Minimize?

I'm not really sure if you have the ability to arrange the items in the More menu which are inserted by the phone OS (like Add Symbol, Writing Options, Spell Word), but if you are, as a Sony Ericsson user I would find it very useful if Add Symbol was moved further up or even to the top of the list. It is something that is accessed fairly frequently and also usually in the middle of typing a message, where scrolling down a long list is more jarring than going through the options either before or after you've written the text.

Anyway ... uh, thanks!

PS - Controlling the main SMS function of a phone (RE Send by SMS / Send by Cabbage query) is possible on S60 phones (iSMS), I know that much. But I don't know about via J2ME.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭slemons

Hey Sam...
    Excellent program btw...
    I was just wondering about importing contacts in the j2me app.
    In the phonebook there are two options.
    'Import from web' and 'import from net'
    Could you maybe point me at some documentation on how to use this please?
    Can i import a .csv similiar to the desktop version?

Thanks
    John

Advertisement