Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cabbage Desktop / Cabbage Mobile mega thread (Desktop/mobile texting app)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cupthehand

I'm on Cabbage 1.6.2 and O2 and all weekend I've been getting could not connect to server :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Baza210 wrote: »
    Sam, used the mobile version of Cabbage quite extensively over the last week, found it great for when I was roaming in France. One bug that I noticed was that if you add a new number to your Cabbage contacts, the next time you send a message, even to someone already in your contacts, the option to Add Number is shown rather than the Back button, after a successful sending.
    I'll take a look at that
    Couple of other suggestions, if you don't mind my impertinence :P
    The Delete Rec button should be in the options menu, in my opinion. I've accidentally pressed it a couple of times by accident which is quite annoying as the recent contacts list is very useful. However, the list appears to grow to quite a large number, to the extent that I couldn't the actual phone number any more ... is the list's length limited?
    That's a sony ericsson thing. The options are in the right place on a nokia but not on an SE and if I put them in the right place for the SE it gets messed up on the nokias. I'll see if I can find a compromise between the two
    As you mentioned earlier, minimizing Cabbage is quite useful ... is there a possibility that an option could be added to replace the Exit buttons with Minimize?
    I'm afraid not. Symbian apps can minimise themselves but with J2ME the minimising is a feature of the operating system and not controlled by the program at all.
    I'm not really sure if you have the ability to arrange the items in the More menu which are inserted by the phone OS (like Add Symbol, Writing Options, Spell Word), but if you are, as a Sony Ericsson user I would find it very useful if Add Symbol was moved further up or even to the top of the list. It is something that is accessed fairly frequently and also usually in the middle of typing a message, where scrolling down a long list is more jarring than going through the options either before or after you've written the text.
    Those operations are put there by the OS and I have no control over them.
    PS - Controlling the main SMS function of a phone (RE Send by SMS / Send by Cabbage query) is possible on S60 phones (iSMS), I know that much. But I don't know about via J2ME.
    Do you mean it's possible to do in Symbian c++?
    slemons wrote: »
    Hey Sam...
    Excellent program btw...
    I was just wondering about importing contacts in the j2me app.
    In the phonebook there are two options.
    'Import from web' and 'import from net'
    Could you maybe point me at some documentation on how to use this please?
    Can i import a .csv similiar to the desktop version?

Thanks
    John

The page that you tell cabbage to import from has to print out the contacts in this format:
    John Doe\/\/0871234567
    Jane Doe\/\/0877654321
    John Smith\/\/0855555555
    cupthehand wrote: »
    I'm on Cabbage 1.6.2 and O2 and all weekend I've been getting could not connect to server :confused:

Are you still having problems? Can you try changing the server to http://powermyhone.com/cabbage/send.php?

To change it press options->accounts->options->edit server

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Ah right. Symbian can access a lot more things than J2ME, which is blocked from a lot of the phone's features for security reasons. I've been thinking of reading up on Symbian c++ but I don't have the time tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭slemons

The page that you tell cabbage to import from has to print out the contacts in this format:
    John Doe\/\/0871234567
    Jane Doe\/\/0877654321
    John Smith\/\/0855555555

Thanks Sam...
    I hope im getting this right,
    So you're saying make an html page with that format, and only that on the page?
    Or would it do to host a .csv or maybe .txt file with that format?

Thanks again
    John

• Advertisement

slemons wrote: »
    Thanks Sam...
    I hope im getting this right,
    So you're saying make an html page with that format, and only that on the page?
    Yes you need a page that will print that and only that. It can be a txt file or a html file but not csv

edit: if you go to http://cabbagetexter.com/<network>.book.php?u=<phone number>&p=<password>

you'll see what I mean (assuming you have numbers in your network site's phone book). In the above URL, <network> should be o2, met or voda and stick in your phone number and password for logging into the site

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭slemons

Thanks Sam...
    That link didnt work for me but its cool cause i just entered the numbers i mostly use manually when i had a half hour free...
    Thanks again...
    John

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

Sam - I'm trying to group-text everyone in my phonebook to tell them to vote no to Lisbon, but I keep getting error messages saying Cabbage won't allow that.

Any suggestions?

PMSL :D

That's odd, it shouldn't block you from sending, it should just change no to yes before sending :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Bwahahahaha. I love this app more and more.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,178 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

eightyfish wrote: »
    Sam - I'm trying to group-text everyone in my phonebook to tell them to vote no to Lisbon, but I keep getting error messages saying Cabbage won't allow that.

Any suggestions?
    Its a design feature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cupthehand

Sam Vimes wrote: »

Are you still having problems? Can you try changing the server to http://powermyhone.com/cabbage/send.php?

To change it press options->accounts->options->edit server

Working perfectly Sam,
    thanks a million :D

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭SQ2

Hi, just encountered a problem with cabbage this evening, sent a message to about 200 ppl, but the message arrived with most between 6-10 times!! The abuse!! I used the schedule feature, has this happened anyone before??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

SQ2 wrote: »
    Hi, just encountered a problem with cabbage this evening, sent a message to about 200 ppl, but the message arrived with most between 6-10 times!! The abuse!! I used the schedule feature, has this happened anyone before??

200:eek: jebus you are popular. :)

Something like that happened once before when I introduced a bug while testing that caused an infinite loop. The site, the scripts or the network website couldn't handle all the simultaneous requests and basically sh!t the bed. All I can say is it's not meant to be able to send 200 texts simultaneously so if you want to send a group text of that magnitude you should do it through the program which sends each one individually instead of scheduling it. Sorry about that

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭SQ2

Gotcha. Had to get o2 to cancel my texting ability for the night. It was for a sports club newsletter, a lot people did only get it once including myself as part of the list, but the few that got it multiple times were getting a bit short with me by the messages I was getting from them! :S
    When I send by the one by one method it usually cuts out mid way through and will give a message like "invalid login details" and it won't send the rest, any ides on this?

Gotcha. Had to get o2 to cancel my texting ability for the night. It was for a sports club newsletter, a lot people did only get it once including myself as part of the list, but the few that got it multiple times were getting a bit short with me by the messages I was getting from them! :S
    When I send by the one by one method it usually cuts out mid way through and will give a message like "invalid login details" and it won't send the rest, any ides on this?

That would be the O2 website acting up most likely. It's possible they have it set up to block you after sending a certain number of texts in quick succession to stop it being used the way you're using it. I'll see if I can replicate the problem and find a way around it

In the meantime, it should tell you which number it stopped at when it fails so you can start a new one to send to the rest of the group. It sends them in alphabetical order

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Cringer

Hi Sam,

I love the application and use it on a daily basis. I encountered my first problem this morning though.

I scheduled a message to go out at 0945 to one person, and a confirmation to myself too. I have since been receiving the confirmation every 5 mins since 0945, and having logged into the O2online I checked the sent messages and see that the person has also received the same message every five mins since 0945. Is there any way to stop this or will I just have to wait for all 250 messages to run out?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Cringer

Just to update you, I changed the password on my O2 account and that seems to have stopped them coming in to me.

if I put the new password into Cabbage will it continue to send them out again?

Cringer wrote: »
    Just to update you, I changed the password on my O2 account and that seems to have stopped them coming in to me.

if I put the new password into Cabbage will it continue to send them out again?

No it won't. Could you pm me your phone number and I'll take a look for it in the database

• Advertisement

I've taken the scheduled text service offline for the moment until I track down this problem. Because both people who had problems are on O2 and the O2 website is so unreliable, what I think is happening is that the O2 website isn't responding properly so it reports that it failed even though it didn't and so it tries it again a few minutes later. I'm going to change it so it only tries once and either just dumps the text or reports an error and see if there's anything else I can do to prevent it happening again

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭madmoe

Hi Sam,
    Been using your brilliant app for ages now and all was great till just a few mins ago. I had four different numbers setup and four phone books etc and could see them all. The app threw up a runtime error (I did not save it) but now when I go in I cannot see any of my phone books or flick between my numbers :-(

Can you help?

Cheers,
    M

madmoe wrote: »
    Hi Sam,
    Been using your brilliant app for ages now and all was great till just a few mins ago. I had four different numbers setup and four phone books etc and could see them all. The app threw up a runtime error (I did not save it) but now when I go in I cannot see any of my phone books or flick between my numbers :-(

Can you help?

Cheers,
    M

It looks like something has become corrupted in the program's files and it can't read them properly. Any time you update the program it creates a backup of the files so if you updated recently you should be able to get most if not all of your info back

The backup directory is "%appdata%\Cabbage backup"
    and the main directory is "%appdata%\cabbage"

so if you rename 'cabbage' to 'cabbage2' or something like that and rename 'Cabbage backup' to 'cabbage' it should all start working again, but with any changes since your last update lost
    edit:it would be better if you copied the cabbage backup directory rather than just renaming it

The problem with the directory is most likely just a simple formatting error so if you zip up that directory and send it to cabbagetexting [at] gmail.com I'll take a look at it and see if I can get it working again. All the passwords are encrypted in the files.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭madmoe

Back in action Sam, thanx a million!

M

madmoe wrote: »
    Back in action Sam, thanx a million!

M

good to hear it :)

And if you don't want to lose any of your data you should make regular backups of that "%appdata%\cabbage" directory. It stores everything related to the program.

Or if you're installing it on a new computer you can just copy that directory in and it'll be exactly the same as the old one :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭artielange

Hello and thanks very much. Pure genius. My wife and I both find this extremely useful and again thanks. Using the desktop client on a windows machine and web based on Ubuntu.

Just a couple of questions,

Getting an "error2: 0" after typing message and selecting ok , then says its sending message but message never arrives. Using a n-95 8gb on meteor ,have 2 accounts in cabbage and both fail to send. Have edited server to http://powermyhone.com/cabbage/send.php

Has anyone got it to work in wine on a linux box?

Once again thanks.

artielange wrote: »
    Getting an "error2: 0" after typing message and selecting ok , then says its sending message but message never arrives. Using a n-95 8gb on meteor ,have 2 accounts in cabbage and both fail to send. Have edited server to http://powermyhone.com/cabbage/send.php
    You shouldn't be seeing error2 at all. Could you uninstall the program and reinstall it? Make sure you're using the latest version http://cabbagetexter.com/mobile/Cabbage_Mobile_1.71.jar

What access point are you using the program through? Meteor WAP, data, ISP, MMS etc?
    artielange wrote: »
    Has anyone got it to work in wine on a linux box?
    For linux I'd recommend JSMS: http://jsmsirl.sourceforge.net/JSMS/JSMS.html

I can't guarantee anything would work on linux but that client is java based so it's cross platform

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭artielange

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    You shouldn't be seeing error2 at all. Could you uninstall the program and reinstall it? Make sure you're using the latest version http://cabbagetexter.com/mobile/Cabbage_Mobile_1.71.jar

What access point are you using the program through? Meteor WAP, data, ISP, MMS etc?

For linux I'd recommend JSMS: http://jsmsirl.sourceforge.net/JSMS/JSMS.html

I can't guarantee anything would work on linux but that client is java based so it's cross platform

Your a star. Thanks. I am getting invalid login details message now, finally something I think I be able to figure out:D.....I think my wife knows all the same. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭daigo75

Hi again, I just have a question: how does Cabbage calculate the remaining messages? I get an amount that doesn't correspond to the real one (85 instead of more than 200). I'm using Vodafone, if it can help. Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement

daigo75 wrote: »
    Hi again, I just have a question: how does Cabbage calculate the remaining messages? I get an amount that doesn't correspond to the real one (85 instead of more than 200). I'm using Vodafone, if it can help. Thanks in advance.

If you go to the vodafone website, on the page where you write the text you'll see it tells you how many messages you have left. Cabbage takes that number, then sends the message and if it succeeds it subtracts 1 from it and prints it

Is the figure you're getting consistent, as in does it decrease by 1 each time you send a message or does it stay at 85?

And are the messages sending?

What do you get when you click more->extras->Get number of messages left (or whatever it says :P). I'm assuming this is the desktop version right?

Advertisement