Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cabbage Desktop / Cabbage Mobile mega thread (Desktop/mobile texting app)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 cavanman.

Didn't know that thanks, think I'll move to vodafone! (especially with 600 webtexts and international now..)

Just to confirm you can't get a data add-on on any Irish prepay yeah??

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

cavanman. wrote: »
    Didn't know that thanks, think I'll move to vodafone! (especially with 600 webtexts and international now..)

Just to confirm you can't get a data add-on on any Irish prepay yeah??

You can get one on 3pay but it's €9.99 a month so if you're only using it for cabbage it's not worth it. You'd want to be using the internet too to get value out of it

Cheers thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭gaz38979

Sam Vimes wrote: »

I think I know what might be causing that, I changed it to that to fix another problem :D I'll look into it

Hi Sam i installed version 1.74 but am still getting unexpected response format & when i check for updates
    it just says this document has been moved.Anything else i can try thanks.

gaz38979 wrote: »
    Hi Sam i installed version 1.74 but am still getting unexpected response format & when i check for updates
    it just says this document has been moved.Anything else i can try thanks.

Is it just checking for updates that gives the error or checking remaining messages and sending messages too?

• Advertisement

when i go to send a message its says upexpected response format and the same when i try to check remaining messages i can log in to the vodafone website and all fine

when i go to send a message its says upexpected response format and the same when i try to check remaining messages i can log in to the vodafone website and all fine

Ah you're on vodafone, the update I made was for O2. Can you try an earlier version and see if it works:

http://cabbagetexter.com/mobile/Cabbage_Mobile_1.72.jar

and could you try both the vodafone live and vodafone isp access points?

Ah you're on vodafone, the update I made was for O2. Can you try an earlier version and see if it works:

http://cabbagetexter.com/mobile/Cabbage_Mobile_1.72.jar

and could you try both the vodafone live and vodafone isp access points?

I Changed the access point to Vodafone isp and it works a treat thanks a million Sam.:D

Hi,

Sorry one more question.. Is it possible for me to sign up for WAP over CSD (dial-up) on meteor? (as it's charged at 9c per minute and would be considerably cheaper for me?)

I Changed the access point to Vodafone isp and it works a treat thanks a million Sam.:D

Be careful though, the isp access point isn't included in the 99c per day deal, it's 19c per mb with no cap so if you're using the internet a lot besides cabbage you should use live for everything else.

Are you on pre pay?
    cavanman. wrote: »
    Hi,

Sorry one more question.. Is it possible for me to sign up for WAP over CSD (dial-up) on meteor? (as it's charged at 9c per minute and would be considerably cheaper for me?)

I don't think you can and a lot of phones don't even support CSD anymore. Give meteor a call and see if they can set you up for it. And make sure there's no minimum charge too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Hey Sam only got around to testing the 1.74 version for o2 today and like others have said its working perfectly, cheers!

I just found the web based Cabbage and it's great. Seems to be costing me 2c to send a text! Great stuff Sam. One thing I can't figure out though is how to add to my phonebook. The only way seems to be by sending a text to someone and afterwards using the add to phonebook option.

Is there any way to add all my contacts without sending a text to each one in turn?

I just found the web based Cabbage and it's great. Seems to be costing me 2c to send a text! Great stuff Sam. One thing I can't figure out though is how to add to my phonebook. The only way seems to be by sending a text to someone and afterwards using the add to phonebook option.

Is there any way to add all my contacts without sending a text to each one in turn?

Hi, sending a text to the person is the only way to do it I'm afraid. That web based thing was only ever meant for my use really, it has very little functionality

Be careful though, the isp access point isn't included in the 99c per day deal, it's 19c per mb with no cap so if you're using the internet a lot besides cabbage you should use live for everything else.

Are you on pre pay?

Ya im on prepay ive sent in the region of 20-30 msgs and it has only taking 1c off me happy days.
    No i dont really use the internet for anything so i should be ok?

Ya im on prepay ive sent in the region of 20-30 msgs and it has only taking 1c off me happy days.
    No i dont really use the internet for anything so i should be ok?

You should be fine. Just be careful about internet usage applications

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 schemiedave

Hi Sam,

Can I just say before I start? A great app and fair play to you supporting everyone with it!

I have been using mainly the desktop cabbage. Recently, I got a Blackberry curve 8520. As i understand it is J2ME compatible.

The rub is that I am currently working in the middle east. The Blackberry is on the Batelco network (in Bahrain). I was thinking it must still be possible to use the app, surely all it needs to do is use my data allowance to connect to the web? My account on cabbage is using an O2 account in Ireland. When I try to send a message it returns with the message 'Could not connect to the server'.

What am I missing? Is what I am trying to do possible with cabbage? Anyone know of an app that may do the trick instead?

Thanks for any help you can give,

Dave.

Hi Sam,

Can I just say before I start? A great app and fair play to you supporting everyone with it!
    Thank you :)
    I have been using mainly the desktop cabbage. Recently, I got a Blackberry curve 8520. As i understand it is J2ME compatible.

The rub is that I am currently working in the middle east. The Blackberry is on the Batelco network (in Bahrain). I was thinking it must still be possible to use the app, surely all it needs to do is use my data allowance to connect to the web? My account on cabbage is using an O2 account in Ireland. When I try to send a message it returns with the message 'Could not connect to the server'.

What am I missing? Is what I am trying to do possible with cabbage? Anyone know of an app that may do the trick instead?

Thanks for any help you can give,

Dave.
    Yeah that should work. you might have the internet settings wrong though. Can you download another application like opera mini or this program:
    http://damosapps.com/irlcg/IRLCinemaGuide.jar

and see if it works.

And what does cabbage say when you press options->Check for updates?

Thanks for the reply Sam.

When I check for updates it says 'Could not connect to the server'. It seems to me like the app can't access the internet on the Blackberry.

In the cabbage application, where can I set it to connect to the Internet? Or should I set this somewhere else?

I am using the Bolt browser but can change to Opera mini if need be, but I'm not sure how this will help? Are they not two separate apps?

Dave.

Thanks for the reply Sam.

When I check for updates it says 'Could not connect to the server'. It seems to me like the app can't access the internet on the Blackberry.

In the cabbage application, where can I set it to connect to the Internet? Or should I set this somewhere else?

I am using the Bolt browser but can change to Opera mini if need be, but I'm not sure how this will help? Are they not two separate apps?

Dave.

You don't set the option in the program, you set it for applications in general. Yes opera mini is a separate application, I was trying to see if your phone is set up to allow java applications to access the internet or if the problem was isolated to cabbage.

Give this a try. The options might be called something else but you should find some way of entering this information:

Settings --> Advanced Options --> TCP and you should see the following options:
    APN:
    Username for APN:
    Password for APN:

I don't know the settings for Batelco but if you call them they should be able to tell you what access point name and username/password to use there

You don't set the option in the program, you set it for applications in general. Yes opera mini is a separate application, I was trying to see if your phone is set up to allow java applications to access the internet or if the problem was isolated to cabbage.

Give this a try. The options might be called something else but you should find some way of entering this information:

Settings --> Advanced Options --> TCP and you should see the following options:
    APN:
    Username for APN:
    Password for APN:

I don't know the settings for Batelco but if you call them they should be able to tell you what access point name and username/password to use there

Thanks Sam! Got it sorted! Ended up finding the information on the web. The customer service out here leaves a lot to be desired!

All is working now. Thanks again for the app and the guidance! Im saving a packet texting!

Much appreciated,

Dave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭PapaQuebec

Hi again Sam!

Just wondered if you'd come across this little annoyance before....

Cabbage mobile seems to regularly lock up on me after a few uses, I type my message, press "OK" and nothing happens! Cant even exit cabbage - a restart is required!!

Nokia E61i on vodafone

Thanks

Papa

PapaQuebec wrote: »
    Hi again Sam!

Just wondered if you'd come across this little annoyance before....

Cabbage mobile seems to regularly lock up on me after a few uses, I type my message, press "OK" and nothing happens! Cant even exit cabbage - a restart is required!!

Nokia E61i on vodafone

Thanks

Papa

Something like that will take a good bit of effort to track down. I've been thinking about basically stripping it down and rebuilding it properly for a while now because it's kind of thrown together and a bit of a mess but I haven't had the chance recently. I'm afraid we'll all just have to solider on for the moment until I can find the time :(

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭PapaQuebec

It's not a big deal really. I just wondered if anyone else was reporting similar, or maybe it's just my phone!

Cheers

papa

I downloaded the .jar and .jad file and tried transferring them one at a time to my sister's old Motorola V3 RAZR with bluetooth. I couldn't transfer the .jad file....it said the bluetooth device wasn't compatible? I then tried AFT which transferred and installed fine except that it's costing 2c a text instead of 0.25c....this was on o2. I'd prefer to use Cabbage though...thanks for any help and your efforts.

I tried to download it from http://cabbagetexter.com/dl1.74 using the phone browser but got "invalid file". :(

I downloaded the .jar and .jad file and tried transferring them one at a time to my sister's old Motorola V3 RAZR with bluetooth. I couldn't transfer the .jad file....it said the bluetooth device wasn't compatible? I then tried AFT which transferred and installed fine except that it's costing 2c a text instead of 0.25c....this was on o2. I'd prefer to use Cabbage though...thanks for any help and your efforts.

Just install from the jar file and forget about the jad

Just install from the jar file and forget about the jad
    I think I eventually did try just the .jar and pressed "install" but it failed. Maybe the phone is too old? But then again AFT worked...so stick with AFT you might say but I'm just curious why Cabbage wouldn't work for me :confused:

I think I eventually did try just the .jar and pressed "install" but it failed. Maybe the phone is too old? But then again AFT worked...so stick with AFT you might say but I'm just curious why Cabbage wouldn't work for me :confused:

Couldn't say to be honest. Motorolas are weird. Did it give any error message?

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭waffleman

Cabbage Mobile is the business - especially for texting mobiles outside of Ireland - I haven't topped up my phone credit in ages!! :D Thanks Sam!

Couldn't say to be honest. Motorolas are weird. Did it give any error message?
    I can't remember. I'll try again when I see her next and post back. Thanks Sam!

• Advertisement

Oh yes...any idea why AFT is charging 2c a text instead of a quarter of a cent? Or should I get lost and post in the AFT thread? :D

Advertisement