Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Cabbage Desktop / Cabbage Mobile mega thread (Desktop/mobile texting app)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Oh yes...any idea why AFT is charging 2c a text instead of a quarter of a cent? Or should I get lost and post in the AFT thread? :D

I think O2 changed their pricing a while ago so they have a minimum 2c connection charge like the other networks. When was the last time you tried it and it cost 0.25c?

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    I think O2 changed their pricing a while ago so they have a minimum 2c connection charge like the other networks. When was the last time you tried it and it cost 0.25c?
    Never! :o I just read that in a thread somewhere. It was probably from 2006 or something like that. Double :o:o

edit: Think I saw 0.25c on the first page of the AFT thread...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭cormie

When I used credit, I got about 10 texts for a cent with the mobile version on o2, I wasn't on any data package, but I was on the 20c anytime any network deal.

cormie wrote: »
    When I used credit, I got about 10 texts for a cent with the mobile version on o2, I wasn't on any data package, but I was on the 20c anytime any network deal.

Was that before they brought in the 99c per day cap?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭cormie

haven't a clue, I probably mentioned it in this thread though so it'll be dated I'm sure :)

Edit: april 2008: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=55694180#post55694180

I've posted 256 times in this thread or something :eek:

• Advertisement

haven't a clue, I probably mentioned it in this thread though so it'll be dated I'm sure :)

Edit: april 2008: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=55694180#post55694180
    Yeah that would've been before they up the connection price and introduced the cap
    I've posted 256 times in this thread or something :eek:

Sounds about right :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaSCaDe711

Something like that will take a good bit of effort to track down. I've been thinking about basically stripping it down and rebuilding it properly for a while now because it's kind of thrown together and a bit of a mess but I haven't had the chance recently. I'm afraid we'll all just have to solider on for the moment until I can find the time :(

Spending far too much time out on the yacht(s) me thinks :D

Couldn't say to be honest. Motorolas are weird. Did it give any error message?
    Got another crack at it and got "invalid file" as the error message for the .jar. As I said the .jad file wouldn't transfer at all. AFT is working on it (Motorola V3 RAZR) but even that isn't perfect (the screen goes completely black after sending a text, have to press the end call button to get it back).

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Have you moved files around on your server recently Sam?
    On cabbage mobile, my contacts won't download from the network site (please wait shows forever) and checking for updates shows the source code to a 503 page.

Jonathan wrote: »
    Have you moved files around on your server recently Sam?
    On cabbage mobile, my contacts won't download from the network site (please wait shows forever) and checking for updates shows the source code to a 503 page.

Both of those are bugs that I haven't got around to fixing yet. I'll post here when the fix is available
    Got another crack at it and got "invalid file" as the error message for the .jar. As I said the .jad file wouldn't transfer at all. AFT is working on it (Motorola V3 RAZR) but even that isn't perfect (the screen goes completely black after sending a text, have to press the end call button to get it back).

Yeah motorolas are weird. Without having one to test there's not much I acn do about it I'm afraid. When I get a chance I'm going to be rewriting the program to make it faster and simpler so it might work then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Cringer

Hi Sam,

Getting an error this evening:

Error: [-8] Precheck: Invalid Response

Is this a known bug or a problem with my account?

Thanks

Cringer wrote: »
    Hi Sam,

Getting an error this evening:

Error: [-8] Precheck: Invalid Response

Is this a known bug or a problem with my account?

Thanks

What network are you on and are you using the latest version?
    http://cabbagetexter.com/cabbagedesktopdownload.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Was just thinking about this program and thought of something. Would it be possible to add a piece of script to insert a fullstop at the end (160th character) of each text sent by three.ie. It would save all the three texters a bit of time!! Pity three wouldn't get rid of their silly ad and none of this would be necessary.

squared wrote: »
    Was just thinking about this program and thought of something. Would it be possible to add a piece of script to insert a fullstop at the end (160th character) of each text sent by three.ie. It would save all the three texters a bit of time!! Pity three wouldn't get rid of their silly ad and none of this would be necessary.

It already does that :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭sendic

Hi,

great app. I'm on meteor prepay. meteor free text working fine for me but voip cheap has stopped working. I'm getting a could not connect to server message. Have downloaded the latest version but makes no difference. Any ideas?

Thanks a million

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

It already does that :confused:
    Ah right! My bad. I'm not with three the moment but am considering the move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭jkforde

Thanks for Cabbage, great app (1.96.1), working fine up to a few days ago on XP SP3. Lately I'm getting the (-7) precheck error.

Also, tried downloading 1.96.1 again to try a reinstall but it's telling me to install .NET framework v.2... I don't think I needed .NET the last time I installed... it doesn't need it does it? If so, too bad, no interest in installing more MS bloat

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

"Since I no longer expect anything from mankind except madness, meanness, and mendacity; egotism, cowardice, and self-delusion, I have stopped being a misanthrope." Irving Layton

sendic wrote: »
    Hi,

great app. I'm on meteor prepay. meteor free text working fine for me but voip cheap has stopped working. I'm getting a could not connect to server message. Have downloaded the latest version but makes no difference. Any ideas?

Thanks a million

It's not working for me either. I'll look into it
    jkforde wrote: »
    Thanks for Cabbage, great app (1.96.1), working fine up to a few days ago on XP SP3. Lately I'm getting the (-7) precheck error.

Also, tried downloading 1.96.1 again to try a reinstall but it's telling me to install .NET framework v.2... I don't think I needed .NET the last time I installed... it doesn't need it does it? If so, too bad, no interest in installing more MS bloat

You don't need the .NET framework but if you don't install it you have to click more->configuration and tick "use old sending method".

you'd be better of installing it though tbh. You'll find that more and more programs won't work without it. It supports the new versions of Microsoft programming languages.

Just a quick update that it's working today (I didn't change any settings in the meantime) and thanks, I'll take your advice on the .NET!

"Since I no longer expect anything from mankind except madness, meanness, and mendacity; egotism, cowardice, and self-delusion, I have stopped being a misanthrope." Irving Layton

Hey Sam, can you tell me why Cabbage uses so many I/O reads when idle in the tray (XP SP3)? It's not a problem, just curious is all.

• Advertisement

Hi. At the moment using voipcheap with cabbage will send a text to an irish number but not to a US number? Any ideas? Is it purely a voip cheap issue?

Thanks!

jkforde wrote: »
    Hey Sam, can you tell me why Cabbage uses so many I/O reads when idle in the tray (XP SP3)? It's not a problem, just curious is all.

I'd have to look in the code tbh. When sending a message it loads a second exe in the background. The exe creates a file when it's finished and the main program keeps scanning the directory for it until it finds it. The scanning code is only supposed to scan while waiting for the other exe to return but maybe the timer isn't being disabled. I'll look into it anyway.
    Hi. At the moment using voipcheap with cabbage will send a text to an irish number but not to a US number? Any ideas? Is it purely a voip cheap issue?

Thanks!

I wouldn't say it's a vopicheap issue. Tell me, if you try to send to an irish number with the format as +353851234567 does it work?

Can send to an irish number using 086xxxxxxx or +35386xxxxxxx. When i try an american number using either +1xxxxxxxxxx or 001xxxxxxxxxx i get a cannot connect to network site message. Thanks

In need of some help. On an unlocked Meteor 5800 with an O2 SIM, deleted all Meteor network settings & installed O2's, but am now unable to get cabbage working. Works fine on the home wifi, but get "Unexpected response format" when choosing either O2 MMS or O2 WAP GPRS. Do I need to configure something..? Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭censuspro

Sam, does cabbage work on the iphone?

Also, when using cabbage from my desktop I constantly get the -7 Network message and have to log onto meteor.ie and re-enter my password. Do you know what causes this? Im on latest version btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

Hi Sam,
    On mobile with meteor, getting "could not connect to network site" constantly. need to attempt about 9 times before 1 text will send. Going on about 2 weeks now.

Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 mauro.sk

Hi, I have bought hosting on infuseweb which has safe mode disabled and cURL is supported too.
    I have changed cookiebank folder's attributes to 733 but it's still not working, looking at the code I don't really need to use the mysql, any idea why its not working ?

Can send to an irish number using 086xxxxxxx or +35386xxxxxxx. When i try an american number using either +1xxxxxxxxxx or 001xxxxxxxxxx i get a cannot connect to network site message. Thanks

Very odd. I'll take a look and get back to you
    CaSCaDe711 wrote: »
    In need of some help. On an unlocked Meteor 5800 with an O2 SIM, deleted all Meteor network settings & installed O2's, but am now unable to get cabbage working. Works fine on the home wifi, but get "Unexpected response format" when choosing either O2 MMS or O2 WAP GPRS. Do I need to configure something..? Thanks.

Are you using the latest version?
    http://cabbagetexter.com/mobile/Cabbage_Mobile_1.74.jar
    http://cabbagetexter.com/mobile/Cabbage_Mobile_1.74.jad

or type this into your phone's browser:
    http://cabbagetexter.com/dl1.74

There was a problem sending over o2 but I fixed it in the latest version
    censuspro wrote: »
    Sam, does cabbage work on the iphone?
    No it doesn't. There's an alternative called Eirtext that you can get here:
    http://www.vinnycoyne.com/lackofconcept/?page_id=78
    censuspro wrote: »
    Also, when using cabbage from my desktop I constantly get the -7 Network message and have to log onto meteor.ie and re-enter my password. Do you know what causes this? Im on latest version btw.

Does it work for a while and then stop working and give you the error until you enter the password on the website?
    jarvis wrote: »
    Hi Sam,
    On mobile with meteor, getting "could not connect to network site" constantly. need to attempt about 9 times before 1 text will send. Going on about 2 weeks now.

Any suggestions?
    Can you try changing the server to http://powermyphone.com/cabbage/send.php

Press options->accounts->options->edit server to change it
    mauro.sk wrote: »
    Hi, I have bought hosting on infuseweb which has safe mode disabled and cURL is supported too.
    I have changed cookiebank folder's attributes to 733 but it's still not working, looking at the code I don't really need to use the mysql, any idea why its not working ?
    What's the error you get back?
    If you call one of the network scripts directly is there any difference, eg instead of calling:
    http://yourwebsite.com/send.php?u=0851234567&p=password&s=m&d=0851234567&m=message
    you call:
    http://yourwebsite.com/met.send.php?u=0851234567&p=password&s=m&d=0851234567&m=message

Right click on the links and click properties to see the full text

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭censuspro

Does it work for a while and then stop working and give you the error until you enter the password on the website?

Exactly!

• Advertisement

Thanks Sam, working fine now :) (had 1.73 installed) :rolleyes:

Advertisement