Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cabbage Desktop / Cabbage Mobile mega thread (Desktop/mobile texting app)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭waffleman

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    Are you all still having problems? It's working for me now

I'm having this problem using cabbage on O2 UK :(

i have version 1.3 though - will upgrade tonight to the latest version and try again

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaSCaDe711

waffleman wrote: »
    I'm having this problem using cabbage on O2 UK :(

i have version 1.3 though - will upgrade tonight to the latest version and try again

No issues so far today (using v1.74) :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭ceoexec2

thanks for answering that Sam, ive 3 more qs for you

does the phone have to be registered to use the program?

is vodafone the best network to be on with this program at home and roaming?

should i go for a free calls package rather than a free text one with the network in order to get the most value from the program?

thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭Goose81

Can an android phone run Cabbage,if not any plans to get it on android?

I presume you can just use your phones wifi if available?

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭coolmoose

Just want to say, have been using Cabbage for months now, on XP and now Windows 7, and it is the most useful program I've ever come across. Have saved a fortune sending international texts thanks to Vodafone's addition of international web texts.

Thanks again Sam Vimes! Keep up the good work! Donation made, sorry it took so long!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

ceoexec2 wrote: »
    thanks for answering that Sam, ive 3 more qs for you

does the phone have to be registered to use the program?
    Not the phone necessarily but the sim card does. Generally to register you either use a pin that comes with the sim card or get a password sent to the phone from the website. Your network can help you out with it.
    is vodafone the best network to be on with this program at home and roaming?
    I'd have to say yes because they give the most texts which can be sent to foreign numbers and they have good internet roaming prices, 99c per day anywhere in the world.
    should i go for a free calls package rather than a free text one with the network in order to get the most value from the program?

thanks again

Again yes, a lot of plans are a trade off between cheap calls and cheap texts but with cabbage you can have both :)

But I wouldn't go changing your whole call package just for the program tbh unless you think you'll be using it massively. Try it out for a while first before committing to anything
    Goose81 wrote: »
    Can an android phone run Cabbage,if not any plans to get it on android?

Cabbage won't run on android and I have no plans to make a client but anyone who wants to is welcome to use the server side scripts :)
    Goose81 wrote: »
    I presume you can just use your phones wifi if available?
    Yes
    coolmoose wrote: »
    Just want to say, have been using Cabbage for months now, on XP and now Windows 7, and it is the most useful program I've ever come across. Have saved a fortune sending international texts thanks to Vodafone's addition of international web texts.

Thanks again Sam Vimes! Keep up the good work! Donation made, sorry it took so long!

Thanks for your donation :) And don't worry about not doing it until now, I don't expect anyone to donate, that's not why I made the program. I didn't expect to still be doing updates 2 years later tbh :D

thanks again, ill set it up so.

does it only work with irish sim cards/networks by the way?

thats my last qs for you:)

thanks again, ill set it up so.

does it only work with irish sim cards/networks by the way?

thats my last qs for you:)

It supports services like sms discount, voip cheap and low rate voip that work with any number worldwide but those texts aren't free, they're about 3c each. For the webtexts you need an Irish sim card. You don't have to have the Irish sim in the phone as long as you have the internet correctly set up, you just need to have the correct login information entered

ok great stuff

can it be downloaded onto any phone or does it need a certain op system

ok great stuff

can it be downloaded onto any phone or does it need a certain op system

It needs to support java, specifically the second version J2ME (also called MIDP 2.0). You can check if a phone supports it on www.gsmarena.com, eg:

http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_ericsson_w595-2469.php

Java Yes, MIDP 2.0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭darkestlord

I prevously used this on my e71 without any trouble. But using this on my n97 is really hit and miss. On the meteor network and the sending screen just stays on cabbage and it does'nt send. I've been on the meteor website and it seems to be working oka. any ideas, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 23 CambridgeGuy

I'm planning on making an Android app for free webtexts that's based on Cabbage. Now, I'm a noob, and this will be my first Android app. I don't really know what I'm doing, but I thought trying to a relatively simple app like this would be a nice way of finding out.

I have but one question: what is the reason for the server side stuff? Couldn't all that be done locally on the user's phone?

Is it so that it can be easily updated as the phone companies change their websites? Or is there some other reason behind the need for the server side scripts?

Anyway, thanks for making Cabbage, Sam Vines, I'll be sure to post any source code when (if?) I figure out how to program stuff for Android.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I'm planning on making an Android app for free webtexts that's based on Cabbage. Now, I'm a noob, and this will be my first Android app. I don't really know what I'm doing, but I thought trying to a relatively simple app like this would be a nice way of finding out.

Vimes will help you out with the scripts, they're really easy to use :)

I have but one question: what is the reason for the server side stuff? Couldn't all that be done locally on the user's phone?

See below.

Is it so that it can be easily updated as the phone companies change their websites?
    This is one reason

Or is there some other reason behind the need for the server side scripts?
    It minimises the data transfer also. With the server doing all the work it keeps the amount of data between device and server down and this helps keep costs down too.

Anyway, thanks for making Cabbage, Sam Vines, I'll be sure to post any source code when (if?) I figure out how to program stuff for Android.

Please do share :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭HarryD

Are you all still having problems? It's working for me now

Yeah O2 from cabbage on my E51, has been giving unexpected response format for the last couple of weeks. Tried with 2 different logins. Also tried updating to latest version.

HD

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭sioda

HarryD wrote: »
    Yeah O2 from cabbage on my E51, has been giving unexpected response format for the last couple of weeks. Tried with 2 different logins. Also tried updating to latest version.

HD
    Exact same phone and problem here :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

sioda wrote: »
    Exact same phone and problem here :(

Same here on E51.

I guess we should wait to hear from Sam :D

I prevously used this on my e71 without any trouble. But using this on my n97 is really hit and miss. On the meteor network and the sending screen just stays on cabbage and it does'nt send. I've been on the meteor website and it seems to be working oka. any ideas, thanks

I'll have to look into that. Was it the same version on both phones and is the old one still working properly?

HD

You're definitely on version 1.74? There was a problem with O2 but it was fixed with that version: http://cabbagetexter.com/dl1.74 (enter on your phone)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Looks like cabbagetexter.com is down.

Probably a good idea to change your server to http://powermyphone.com/cabbage/send.php until Sam has it sorted.

Ron DMC wrote: »
    Looks like cabbagetexter.com is down.

Probably a good idea to change your server to http://powermyphone.com/cabbage/send.php until Sam has it sorted.

It's not down :confused:

What's happening when you try and what network are you on?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

It's not down :confused:

What's happening when you try and what network are you on?
    Hmmm... It's back now.

Was getting 500 internal server errors on both the website and cabbage mobile.

• Advertisement

Ron DMC wrote: »
    Hmmm... It's back now.

Was getting 500 internal server errors on both the website and cabbage mobile.

Hmmm, I'll keep an eye on it, thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Mickeyie05

is it possible to get this programme working on the htc hero??

Mickeyie05 wrote: »
    is it possible to get this programme working on the htc hero??

No, the hero is an android phone and isn't compatible with Java mobile (J2ME). There is someone on boards developing an android app but I don't know how far it's progressed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Sam,

Thanks for all yer help in 2009 keeping us all texting.

Happy new year to you Sir!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭sioda

Upgraded to 1.74 and still no change :(

You're definitely on version 1.74? There was a problem with O2 but it was fixed with that version: http://cabbagetexter.com/dl1.74 (enter on your phone)

When i check for updates it tells me i'm on latest.
    WIll try url tomorrow..
    ta,
    HD

When i check for updates it tells me i'm on latest.
    WIll try url tomorrow..
    ta,
    HD
    Seems to be working now. I didnt change anything.
    Harry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

Are you still having this problem? Sending to american numbers is working for me. Is it only american numbers, do you have a number from another country you can check?

Is this still happening?

sorry for not setting back Sam.
    It's not happening anymore, when it does happen every now and then, I have to log onto mymeteor website and before it lets me log in i have to enter the 4 random digit thing. It's happened a few times now. Once I do this, I can use cabbage mobile again. Why would this happen...... are they onto us????

Thanks Sam.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Just received a text from a VF customer using cabbage on their PC. It came in two parts after 160chars, I forget, did o2 do the same before they upgraded their online text system? Do all VF texts come in parts from cabbage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

It has started working fine all of a sudden :)

I did not do anything, already had the latest version.

Advertisement