Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cabbage Desktop / Cabbage Mobile mega thread (Desktop/mobile texting app)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Farcear wrote: »
    Send 2 texts to check, both 6c each.

Using a new SonyEricsson w595 with the default settings.

How can I check whether I'm using using the Vodafone Live access point or the Vodafone ISP one?
    You're most likely using the live access point tbh, ISP should cost much less

I'm not 100% sure of the options on the newer phones but if you go into menu->settings->connectivity you should see an area for internet settings. There might be two separate options for the internet settings, one for the browser and a separate one for java programs but I think they got rid of that on newer models.

If you change your settings to ISP (and the settings for java if you have the option) then all your browsing will cost 19c per MB instead of the normal 2c per kb up to 99c per day that applies to the live access point and cabbage should cost a fraction of a cent

If you only do a small amount of browsing or are just using cabbage it'll be much cheaper than using live but if you're using very data intensive applications like google maps or internet radio it could end up costing more because it's not capped at 99c per day. Basically if you intend to use less than 5.3MB MB in a day you're better off using ISP

edit: for any vodafone bill pay customers reading this, the above doesn't apply to you. The ISP access point is much more expensive on bill pay unless you have a data plan

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Farcear

Yep, thanks for that, works a treat! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭knuth

Is it possible to send to multiple numbers from the web based alternative?

lordlame wrote: »
    Is it possible to send to multiple numbers from the web based alternative?

Yes it is, separate each number with a comma and don't put in any spaces. This feature was never meant for use with the web based page though so you can't type in phone book names or anything like that

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

when i use cabbage, and i have my text wrote out, i get a few options to use :
    1. meteor wap gprs
    2. meteor data
    3. mms over gprs
    ive been always using meteor wap gprs and getting cgarged approx 2c for each messege, is this correct?

Meteor PAYG
    using nokia E51.

thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭cpu.dude

Is this application available for Android devices?

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭knuth

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    Yes it is, separate each number with a comma and don't put in any spaces. This feature was never meant for use with the web based page though so you can't type in phone book names or anything like that

Thanks, using the , between the numbers ie 0851945849,0861928485 works great.

cpu.dude wrote: »
    Is this application available for Android devices?

There's a program called jelly sms that does pretty much the same thing and I think there's an android version of it now
    gumbo wrote: »
    when i use cabbage, and i have my text wrote out, i get a few options to use :
    1. meteor wap gprs
    2. meteor data
    3. mms over gprs
    ive been always using meteor wap gprs and getting cgarged approx 2c for each messege, is this correct?

Meteor PAYG
    using nokia E51.

thanks.

Yes that's right. Either meteor wap or never data are fine, the last one is for picture messages only

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaSCaDe711

Anybody know if O2's webtext service was down earlier, around midday..? Was sending texts fine while sitting on the bus, and after noticing the 3G change to 3.5G (heading into Blanch) Cabbage stopped working. Worked grand again once I got back out of Blanch. Using V1.74 on a 5800.

CaSCaDe711

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭madmoe

What the story with it displaying 3.5G??

• Advertisement

Not sure Madmoe, but the 3G where the signal bar is, that changes to smaller text and then displays 3.5G. Noticed that a few times now.

Saw it on a mates Nokia at weekend! Maybe faster version of 3G???

madmoe wrote: »
    Saw it on a mates Nokia at weekend! Maybe faster version of 3G???

That's right, it's HSDPA. You should only see it on a nokia phone while data is actually being transferred, otherwise it'll just say 3G even if you have 3.5G coverage

Cheers for that Sam :)

Does the iPhone have HSDPA as well? What is the max bandwidth for this?

madmoe wrote: »
    Does the iPhone have HSDPA as well? What is the max bandwidth for this?

Yes it does. You can check if a phone has it on [url]www.gsmarena.com:[/url]

http://www.gsmarena.com/apple_iphone_3g-2424.php
    3G HSDPA
    The max depends on your network. It can go up to 14 mega bits afaik but the most you'll realistically get is 1 or 2 mb. It's the technology used for those mobile broadband USB dongles.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Ive just installed the new mobile version onto my mobile and lost all my cabbage contacts:mad: Is it possible to transfer my cabbage contacts over from my cabbage desktop?

snaps wrote: »
    Ive just installed the new mobile version onto my mobile and lost all my cabbage contacts:mad: Is it possible to transfer my cabbage contacts over from my cabbage desktop?

It might be possible to get them back. Did you have a very old version? When was the last time you updated?

Failing that, yes it is possible to transfer contacts from cabbage desktop but it's a bit awkward at the moment, it involves uploading the contacts file to the internet and typing the address you uploaded it to into the program. I'm working on a way of making it a bit easier so give me some time to set it up

Or if you have web space I'll explain how you can do it. I could upload it to my website too but your contacts would be publicly accessible for the few minutes it takes to do it

Thanks, im slowly adding them back as i text! I can see the way on desktops of saving contacts as csv file and then importing which is great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Hi Sam - Is there a problem with BART? It seems to have stopped working. Cabbage working fine.

• Advertisement

Hi Sam - Is there a problem with BART? It seems to have stopped working. Cabbage working fine.

Yeah it looks like Irish rail have changed their website so I'll have to update it. This is the dart you're looking for right?

I see they now have a mobile version themselves:

http://irishrail.ie/realtime/

so you can use that in the meantime or just keep using it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Hi Sam, yeah the dart times alright.
    I'll try the IrishRail mobile site for now... but I prefer your app! Thanks!

does vodafone webtext work on latest mobile cabbage as i get cannot connect to server? im using wifi to connect & not vodafone live

• Registered Users Posts: 27 davidcorry

Sam, about 3 days ago my cabbage texter is acting strange. It tells me that it "could not connect to server" after sending, yet my texts ARE sending. And because of this i dont get the option to save new contacts to my cabbage list. Ive got the newest version and am on the o2 network. Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

ooops

Likewise, using latest version on O2, was getting some strange "cabbage activity" yesterday. Texts sending grand, but kept getting the same remaining texts number after each sms :rolleyes: Of course I blame O2, as Cabbage worked perfectly soon after, and continues to do so today :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Hi Sam due to moving accounts I decided to un-install cabbage and downloaded it again but I keep getting
    Error: [-1] invalid login details.

Login Details Are: My first name and phone Number, eg 0861233457 and my password is greyed out but number of characters are right. Any ideas whats the problem. Thanks.

snaps wrote: »
    does vodafone webtext work on latest mobile cabbage as i get cannot connect to server? im using wifi to connect & not vodafone live

Yes it does. Is it still not working for you?

What happens when you press options->Check for updates?

davidcorry wrote: »
    Sam, about 3 days ago my cabbage texter is acting strange. It tells me that it "could not connect to server" after sending, yet my texts ARE sending. And because of this i dont get the option to save new contacts to my cabbage list. Ive got the newest version and am on the o2 network. Thanks in advance
    CaSCaDe711 wrote: »
    Likewise, using latest version on O2, was getting some strange "cabbage activity" yesterday. Texts sending grand, but kept getting the same remaining texts number after each sms :rolleyes: Of course I blame O2, as Cabbage worked perfectly soon after, and continues to do so today :cool:

Are your problems gone too davidcorry?

• Advertisement

danjo-xx wrote: »
    Hi Sam due to moving accounts I decided to un-install cabbage and downloaded it again but I keep getting
    Error: [-1] invalid login details.

Login Details Are: My first name and phone Number, eg 0861233457 and my password is greyed out but number of characters are right. Any ideas whats the problem. Thanks.

To be honest the most likely reason for that error is that you do have the wrong login details. Firstly download this latest version because there was a bug in storing passwords on the one you have:

http://cabbagetexter.com/Cabbage_Setup_1.96.2.exe

and then remove and re-add your login. Make sure you have "Remember password" ticked. To test that you have the right login details, got to this link, type them in and see what you get back:

http://cabbagetexter.com/testcheckmessages.htm

If you get a number between 0 and 600 it means that you have the right details. You should also go to your network's website and see if you can log in there.

btw, just so you know there's a new feature in the one I told you to download where you can bring back previously sent messages quickly by pressing CTRL + up arrow while typing in the message box

Advertisement