Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cabbage Desktop / Cabbage Mobile mega thread (Desktop/mobile texting app)

Options

Comments

I did that and it asked me to allow it to connect for this session.. it said .. result: unexpected response (-5).

Duh. Stupid me. I checked online and it says I have no meteor free texts left at the moment.. so perhaps thats what this error message is about? Forgot what date it was.. thought it was the 1st of May, but that's tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

edit: I suppose we'll just wait til tomorrow to see if there's anything wrong so :D

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    edit: I suppose we'll just wait til tomorrow to see if there's anything wrong so :D

It's likely the fact I didn't realise what date it was and thought that my webtexts had been renewed, but I'll check for updates and everything, just to make sure.

It's likely the fact I didn't realise what date it was and thought that my webtexts had been renewed, but I'll check for updates and everything, just to make sure.

It most likely is that. An unexpected response error means that the program has got as far as accessing the internet but it's received a response to a request that it wasn't expecting. That response was most likely the page telling you you have no web texts left instead of the usual page saying the message was sent

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Sorry for only getting back to you now cormie, been busy this week.

That's a vodafone restriction I'm afraid.

I have no control over the number the text appears to come from. If he had sent it from the O2 website it would have appeared the same. Usually O2 web texts appear to come from numbers in the format 00353 so I couldn't say why they would stick a + in front of it. Are all of his messages coming from this +00353 number?

As far as I know, only texts sent from cabbage come from the +00353 number but I'm not so sure! The thing is, I could only see the number when I synched the phone with myphoneexplorer and his number came up as unknown whereas in the phone it came up under his name. I think :)

I hope vodafone can amend the split texts sometimes, it's a bit of a pain knowing the recipient is going to be weighed under by an array of texts in different parts if you send an essay :P

Just to note aswell, I got an error yesterday when I tried to edit a text after a network error (something was wrong with my own connection as far as I remember) anyway I went to edit the text after it failed and then I got a popup error runtime error and cabbage closed itself. happened very quickly and I didn't get the error number or anything!

• Advertisement

cormie wrote: »
    As far as I know, only texts sent from cabbage come from the +00353 number but I'm not so sure!
    What network's web texts were used to send these messages again?
    The thing is, I could only see the number when I synched the phone with myphoneexplorer and his number came up as unknown whereas in the phone it came up under his name. I think :)
    That's not unexpected. Because numbers can start with 086, +35386, 0035386 and now it seems +0035386, the phones only use the last 8 or so characters to match a name to the phone book. Say your friend's number is 0861234567, try calling 0871234567 for a second and depending on the phone. you should see your friend's name pops up.

Just to note aswell, I got an error yesterday when I tried to edit a text after a network error (something was wrong with my own connection as far as I remember) anyway I went to edit the text after it failed and then I got a popup error runtime error and cabbage closed itself. happened very quickly and I didn't get the error number or anything!

If it happens again note the error and what you were doing at the time and I'll look into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭legend99

Hi Sam,

First off thanks for the program - I've sent many hundreds and hundreds of messages off it on my SE K800. But I've been having some problems recently. First a few weeks ago the program started saying unexpected response format even though the message had actually sent ok. This made it impossible to know if messages were sent without doing a Remaining Messages before and after the send. So I eventually removed the program and did a reinstall. Now hoeever I have more problems. I reinstalled with version 1.75 and its working but not working. The problem I now have is that messages send ok but I am unable to use the cabbage contacts. There are contacts in the book but when I select them no number gets populated into the number field and for a message the option to Delete Recent pops up on the middle control button and disappears. I can get round the problem by going to my phone contacts all the time but its a right pain. Any idea what might be up? Do I need to do some other kind of delete on the phone - might I have some leftovers of the old version that is causing the trouble?
    Tks for any help!

legend99 wrote: »
    Hi Sam,

First off thanks for the program - I've sent many hundreds and hundreds of messages off it on my SE K800. But I've been having some problems recently. First a few weeks ago the program started saying unexpected response format even though the message had actually sent ok. This made it impossible to know if messages were sent without doing a Remaining Messages before and after the send. So I eventually removed the program and did a reinstall. Now hoeever I have more problems. I reinstalled with version 1.75 and its working but not working. The problem I now have is that messages send ok but I am unable to use the cabbage contacts. There are contacts in the book but when I select them no number gets populated into the number field and for a message the option to Delete Recent pops up on the middle control button and disappears. I can get round the problem by going to my phone contacts all the time but its a right pain. Any idea what might be up? Do I need to do some other kind of delete on the phone - might I have some leftovers of the old version that is causing the trouble?
    Tks for any help!

I'll have to look into it tomorrow. What I can tell you now is that if you uninstalled the program before installing the latest version then the problem is not being caused by leftovers from the previous installation.

Does the Delete Recent option completely disappear or can you see it when you press options (or more I think it is on that phone)

I'll have to look into it tomorrow. What I can tell you now is that if you uninstalled the program before installing the latest version then the problem is not being caused by leftovers from the previous installation.

Does the Delete Recent option completely disappear or can you see it when you press options (or more I think it is on that phone)

It was a bug that's hopefully fixed now if you download the latest version from the website (1.76) http://cabbagetexter.com/cabbagemobiledownload.php

I decreased the size of the app too from 92kb to 68kb by chopping out a load of old redundant code

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Hey, was just wondering if cabbage can't send messages through meteor with the latest update to their webtexts? They now allow you to use up 3 webtexts to send 480 characters messages that are delivered as a single message to the phone.

• Advertisement

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    Hey, was just wondering if cabbage can't send messages through meteor with the latest update to their webtexts? They now allow you to use up 3 webtexts to send 480 characters messages that are delivered as a single message to the phone.

They do indeed and that's why it's not working. There's a new version on the website to fix the problem and it allows 480 characters per message.

Anyone who doesn't want to (or can't) update immediately should click more->configuration and tick "Send messages using intermediate server" but doing that won't allow 480 characters per message, you need the newer version for that

edit: this only applies to desktop users, mobile users should be back up and running already with 480 character messages

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭apophis

Hi again Sam, i was just wondering, any update on the price increase in sending txt`s through cabbagemobile.

apophis :cool:

apophis wrote: »
    Hi again Sam, i was just wondering, any update on the price increase in sending txt`s through cabbagemobile.

Not yet, working on it

Can you try this one out:

http://cabbagetexter.com/Cabbage_Mobile_1.77.jar or http://cabbagetexter.com/dl1.77 directly from the phone.

I've changed it to make a get request instead of a post. I ran a few tests with both get and post requests and the get requests always used less data and always less than 1KB.

With the get request:
    321 bytes up, 503 bytes down
    346 bytes up, 503 bytes down
    346 bytes up, 503 bytes down
    344 bytes up, 503 bytes down

With the post request:
    495 bytes up, 583 bytes down
    497 bytes up, 583 bytes down
    497 bytes up, 524 bytes down

They all cost 2c each but the post requests could cost more because the figures add up to more than 1KB.

Give it a shot and see if it's any cheaper. You should keep an eye on the packet data log too. On my E65 I just press menu->log->packet data to get it but you might have to look around for it (maybe tools or something like that).

You might want to reset the data counter before sending a message to see exactly how much is sent, or just keep a note of the figure and subtract. If you want to reset it you'll need your lock code which will be 12345 unless you've changed it

btw, the way I've done it is that it uses a get request unless you're using an O2 account because texts only work on the O2 network if it's a post request for some reason. If this works I'll come up with a better solution than that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Just dropped by, as a Cabbage user, to state that Meteor have now increased support for webtexts upto 480 characters.

Will Cabbage support this? Therefore, can we go wild and type to our hearts consent?

You still get 300 webtexts a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Pyro Boy

Just dropped by, as a Cabbage user, to state that Meteor have now increased support for webtexts upto 480 characters.

Will Cabbage support this? Therefore, can we go wild and type to our hearts consent?

You still get 300 webtexts a month.

Works well with the mobile app :D type away

It already does :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Brilliant!
    Fantastico!

Heya Sam :)

I've recently moved from using myphoneexplorer for my SE G900, to using Gmail synched with my HTC Desire for contacts.

I'm guessing the best way to get the Gmail contact list imported into cabbage is to export the list and then just import it as a CSV file as I've usually done, however, there are different headers in the Gmail CSV file from the Myphoneexplorer one and the last header with the number in it doesn't come up in the list of columns when importing.

I've uploaded the exported csv file and I think that the problem may be there are two headings that say Phone Type or something like that?

Or is there another way to import from a specific group on Gmail at all do you know? :)

Any help appreciated :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaSCaDe711

Hi Sam.

Would it be possible to implement a Paste option into Cabbage Mobile..? Using a Nokia 5800 to text.

Thanks in advance,
    CaSCaDe711.

Hi sam, just an update on my situation, still being charged 4c a txt, anyone else have this issue.

Hi sam, just an update on my situation, still being charged 4c a txt, anyone else have this issue.

Did you download the test app I posted the other day: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=65753893&postcount=2955
    CaSCaDe711 wrote: »
    Hi Sam.

Would it be possible to implement a Paste option into Cabbage Mobile..? Using a Nokia 5800 to text.

Thanks in advance,
    CaSCaDe711.

It should already be there. There was a bug in older versions that sopped the copy/paste option appearing on Nokia Symbian phones. Are you on the latest version 1.76?
    Heya Sam :)

I've recently moved from using myphoneexplorer for my SE G900, to using Gmail synched with my HTC Desire for contacts.

I'm guessing the best way to get the Gmail contact list imported into cabbage is to export the list and then just import it as a CSV file as I've usually done, however, there are different headers in the Gmail CSV file from the Myphoneexplorer one and the last header with the number in it doesn't come up in the list of columns when importing.

I've uploaded the exported csv file and I think that the problem may be there are two headings that say Phone Type or something like that?

Or is there another way to import from a specific group on Gmail at all do you know? :)

Any help appreciated :)

I'll fix ujp the importer to handle this new format in the next few days

Thanks Sam :)

It should already be there. There was a bug in older versions that sopped the copy/paste option appearing on Nokia Symbian phones. Are you on the latest version 1.76?

Thanks Sam. Just checked, have 1.75 installed, will update :)

Thanks Sam. Just checked, have 1.75 installed, will update :)

No joy Sam, don't see any option to paste (using a 5800) :confused:

Hi sam, yes i downloaded 1.77, but still no joy, what puzzles me is why out of the blue it happened to both me and my partners phones.

Hi Sam. Just been reading your changelogs, nice to see it's possible to have more than one instance of Cabbage Mobile running, with different signatures possible. Good work :)

Doh!!! Not sure what to do here :rolleyes: Trying to open 2 instances of Cabbage on the 5800. Using v1.76, have installed that on the memory card. Tried installing a 2nd, but that'll only overwrite 1st so I choose phone memory. Still end up with one icon for the program. Any ideas..? :confused: Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement

Hi Sam.

Thanks in advance,
    CaSCaDe711.

I just had my friend with an N97 test this and he was able to copy and paste in the program by pressing options->editing options->copy/cut/paste. Do you not have those options?
    Hi sam, yes i downloaded 1.77, but still no joy, what puzzles me is why out of the blue it happened to both me and my partners phones.

Hmm I'll have to look into that. Could you look at your data counter before and after sending a message and tell me exactly how much data is used up and down? And what phones do you have again?
    Doh!!! Not sure what to do here :rolleyes: Trying to open 2 instances of Cabbage on the 5800. Using v1.76, have installed that on the memory card. Tried installing a 2nd, but that'll only overwrite 1st so I choose phone memory. Still end up with one icon for the program. Any ideas..? :confused: Thanks in advance.

I don't support that anymore I'm afraid. It was very finnicky and never really worked properly. It kept deleting the user data and getting permission denied errors and crashing etc, basically more hassle than it was worth. I might bring it back but I've no immediate plans to.

It wasn't just a matter of downloading it twice btw, as you found out that just overwrites the current one. There was a second app to download called Cabbage2

Advertisement