Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halal Question.

• 14-10-2007 5:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

Hello everyone :)

I was reading a thread on the Food & Drink forum, regarding the location of Halal eateries in Dublin.

So I got curious as to what, exactly, Halal meant.

I read the Wikipedia Page.

It has a few verses from the Quran there, and most of them seem to mention :

He hath only forbidden you dead meat, and blood, and the flesh of swine, and that on which any other name hath been invoked besides that of Allah

There are, seemingly, at least four verses that say this, or some variation of it.

Dead meat is forbidden?

What other kind of meat is there?

I'm genuinely confused.

Thanks for any answers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭hivizman

DesF wrote: »
    He hath only forbidden you dead meat, and blood, and the flesh of swine, and that on which any other name hath been invoked besides that of Allah

There are, seemingly, at least four verses that say this, or some variation of it.

Dead meat is forbidden?

What other kind of meat is there?

I'm genuinely confused.

Thanks for any answers.

This verse or something like it appears in several places in the Qur'an, including Sura Al-Baqarah (2:173 - the words quoted are, I think, from Abdullah Yusuf Ali's English version of the meaning of the Qur'an). "Dead meat" refers to animals that are already dead (perhaps through natural means), and the verse implies that only the meat of animals that have been slaughtered according to the appropriate methods is halal. So if you come across a dead calf in a field, you are not allowed to eat its meat.

This is what I understand to be the case, but there are no doubt subtle issues on which only a Muslim can advise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭the_new_mr

Think you got it in one there hivizman :)

I think the only time you're allowed to eat an animal that you haven't slaughtered is if you hunted it (and in Islam, you're only allowed to hunt for food... not for fun) but even then you have to retrieve it as soon as possible and continue the slaughtering process being sure to spare the animal as little pain as possible.

Advertisement