Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MP5 wiring and fuses

Options
  • 14-10-2007 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭

Um ... hooked up a 1300MaH 8.4v battery to my Airsoft Elite (ICS Upgrade) MP5 and the fuse appears to have blown without any movement from the motor.

I switched the fuse out on the off chance that it was just its time to blow and tried the fuse from my ICS M4 (from which i had borrowed the battery). Again, a lot of glow from the fuse then POP! it blew as well.

The black and red wires are hooked up correctly (i.e black to black and red to red).

What the smeg happened and how do I fix it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

What's the rating on the fuse?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

20A and 30A 250v in both cases

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

sounds like a short somewhere, if a fuse holds then glows? then blows its most probably a short, case of trying to find it now, possibly some insulation has been shaved or peeled and it shorting on something metal..

Especially if you,ve upped the rate of fuse i.e. 20 to 30, and it still blows!! something definately touching somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭liamo333

Remove both body pins, take off the stock, un plug the connectors, pull out bottom reciver, see if the wiring is OK.

liamo333 wrote: »
    Remove both body pins, take off the stock, un plug the connectors, pull out bottom reciver, see if the wiring is OK.

is there a diagram anywhere? I'm a little ... mechanically challenged.

• Advertisement

See the screw beside the mag well? Unscrew it and knock out the body pin, do the same with the rear one. pull off the stock, it can be quite difficult but dont be afraid :p Unplug the 2 connectors and pull out the bottom reciver towards you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭ondafly

the fuse on my TM MP5A4 is in the stock. If you have the pullout stock, the fuse is located near the front grip. Not sure if this is the same for your MP5

Actually, what Amp fuses should I be buying? Someone said 10amp but the ones I had in the MP5 and M4 were 30 and 20 respectively (at least thats what it said on the cap)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

standard fuse is 15a as far as i know

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭deepimpact

kdouglas wrote: »
    standard fuse is 15a as far as i know

Does that do for most MP5's (my TM MP5a5 needs a new fuse)?

• Advertisement

Yup it will do.

liamo333 wrote: »
    Yup it will do.

Which of these is suitable so, if any (I don't want to get this wrong and have a non-functioning AEG ;))
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/search.aspx?MenuNo=12428&MenuName=Glass+Fuses&worldid=-2&FromMenu=y&doy=16m10

scanlant wrote: »
    Which of these is suitable so, if any (I don't want to get this wrong and have a non-functioning AEG ;))
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/search.aspx?MenuNo=12428&MenuName=Glass+Fuses&worldid=-2&FromMenu=y&doy=16m10

none actually, the highest rating there is 2A

the worst you'll do by getting too low an ampage is the fuse will blow straight away, or quite soon after

worst you can do by going too high is the same as not using a fuse at all, your aeg could run forever without a problem, but if something shorted out you could blow the battery and/or motor

GL84F in maplin is what you want

none actually, the highest rating there is 2A

the worst you'll do by getting too low an ampage is the fuse will blow straight away, or quite soon after

worst you can do by going too high is the same as not using a fuse at all, your aeg could run forever without a problem, but if something shorted out you could blow the battery and/or motor

GL84F in maplin is what you want

This should work in the MP5 so?
    I don't want to cause a motor blowout and ruin the AEG
    Thanks.

<actually anyone know where the nearest Maplins is?
    No need, there is one in Jervis>

yea, thatll do the job, they come in a pack of 10, so you'll have a few spares anyway :)

yea, thatll do the job, they come in a pack of 10, so you'll have a few spares anyway :)

Thanks kdouglas. I'll let you know how it goes.

WHAT THE F*CK

I replace the fuse and re-wrapped all the wiring. Now the unit is firing, only I cant STOP IT. Stupid trigger circuit seems jammed, I switch from safe (power off) to semi and it scares the hell out of me jumping into life at full auto without the trigger pulled

Huzzah!!! I am le Genius!!

I fixed the damn thing. Taking a look inside the unit, with the benefit of the split level design I found that the wiring was being rubbed through in places. This was causing a short. I also noticed that one of the prongs in th power connector in the back of the unit was disconnected slightly so I remedied that with a touch of electrical tape.

The auto fire lock thing I still dont quite understand but it ha resolved itself and I am happy enough.

Thanks all. Works like a little beast now.

Advertisement