Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Eve] n00bsors

Options
  • 14-10-2007 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83,385 ✭✭✭✭

hey im starting my Eve trial today... ingame name Overheal

played a trial once at the start of the summer but the computer i was on was **** so i didnt get but 2 days into it.

anyway, yeah. you have 14 days to convince me to spend money i dont have :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

You will die a terrible terrible death.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Maddzy

Get involved in the PVP aspect of the game as soon as you can, its all the convincing you need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭kyp_durron

Like maddzy said, the game is centred around PVP. But be warned its a hell of a time sink as making isk ain't all that easy. Also join a player corp asap, there are a lot of newb player friendly corps that will show you the ropes ect, Eve Uni being the most famous. Join 'Irish' chat in game and some people might help you out in between all the smack and childish banter.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭mamolian

Well if your looking for a MMOG you can safely say you wont be bored playing 2+ years time.. Eve's the game for you.

I recommend you go out exploring 0.0 and low sec (get killed a few times etc) early, otherwise you'll end up a dirty carebear with 30 mill SP and afraid to undock.

kyp_durron wrote: »
    making isk ain't all that easy.

For a hardcore PVPer it can be :p But with a little effort and being clever with your assets, you can make **** loads of isk easy.

No one thing tho, once your after training the basic skills to fly a cruiser or battlecruiser (so you can run missions while you train your ****), train your learning to Tier1 Max and tier 2 IV... don't put it off.. just do it! You'll regret it later otherwise. Then personally id train for a mining barge like a covetor, gives you the option to do a bit of mining if you can stomach it, High prices on low end minerals atm.. huge shortage on the markets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Pew pew :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

mamolian wrote: »
    High prices on low end minerals atm.. huge shortage on the markets.
    Was wondering why refined plag and pyr were giving way worse returns than veld and scor!:)

If you're going to get into PVP OP make sure to train salvaging and get a salvager to equip to your ship, you can make millions from this. The salvage you get is down to luck, so one mission you may get junk but another you could get the motherload of high value stuff.

My favourite thing about the game though is the fact that you continue training even when logged out so if I ever feel I need a break from it to play something else it's no biggie and when I come back I'll be more skilled (as a character) than when I left.:)
    Do hate the long training times on some skills though... I want my new ship and I want it now! lol:p (currently training for covetor and it'll take about 2 weeks for me to get the skill levels I need [have retriever already])

For a hardcore PVPer it can be :p But with a little effort and being clever with your assets, you can make **** loads of isk easy.

No one thing tho, once your after training the basic skills to fly a cruiser or battlecruiser (so you can run missions while you train your ****), train your learning to Tier1 Max and tier 2 IV... don't put it off.. just do it! You'll regret it later otherwise. Then personally id train for a mining barge like a covetor, gives you the option to do a bit of mining if you can stomach it, High prices on low end minerals atm.. huge shortage on the markets.

Sage advice from Irelands biggest carebear :)

Train the basic spaceship command skills like mamo said and then start the learning. I would deffo try mining in a cruiser first to see if it's for you (most races have a mining cruiser, with mining bonus per lvl), a lot of people like it and you can make a fair bit of risk free isk from it, but covetor is a long train and you'd want to be sure thats the direction you want to go.

Be aware that Eve can be a slow paced game and sometimes at the start doesn't seem all that much fun, but I will say, and I'm sure most of the lads here will agree, it gets better and better the longer you play.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I've had no net connection since Friday night and I doubt I'll see my connection repaired for a few more days.

Bored bored bored.

Sage advice from Irelands biggest carebear :)

Oh you just got served y0! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

I recommend you go out exploring 0.0 and low sec (get killed a few times etc) early, otherwise you'll end up a dirty carebear with 30 mill SP and afraid to undock.

Id come end you for that sterotyped nonsence but im training a skill and cant be bothered to undock dureing war time with my expensive ships.

32 million sps and counting y0!

mamolian = cheese eatting surrender monkey

bizmark wrote: »

mamolian = cheese eatting surrender monkey

Yeah but he surrendered to me, I mean wise choice mother****er :p

Yeah but he surrendered to me, I mean wise choice mother****er :p

That's true he knew you where comeing for his carrier so surrendered like the gallente / french emo looking scientist he is...but in fairness it's in his genetic make up so cant blame him really.

Frenchy vrs limerick man no contest game over man game over...

i love you mamolian <3<3

• Registered Users Posts: 83,385 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

people people.... youre forgetting - this is all about me :D

you should be fighting over fresh meat; recruiting me; bribing me; etc.

Its more fun that way. Besides I may become more powerful than you can ever imagine :p and wouldnt that make a great investment :)

Mamolian in ruchy the other day

mamolian1so4.jpg

I didnt doctor this picture apart from putting in the red text i swear

Overheal wrote: »
    people people.... youre forgetting - this is all about me :D

you should be fighting over fresh meat; recruiting me; bribing me; etc.

Its more fun that way. Besides I may become more powerful than you can ever imagine :p and wouldnt that make a great investment :)

Sorry, we can get carried away with our mamo manlove :/

I'll throw you some iskies in game, like I said isk is a bitch to make especially at the beginning. And stop sounding like like obi-won for gods sake :p

For once I can't throw much iskies at a newbie, but ill throw a few :D

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Maddzy

bizmark wrote: »
    Mamolian in ruchy the other day

<big ass image>

I didnt doctor this picture apart from putting in the red text i swear

vt5n3ue5fk2fawwbltlzjqggo6.jpg

Maddzy wrote: »
    <smaller less manly picture than bizmarks>

You question the validity of my screenshot sir? why must you bring my honour into question like this ? i thought me and you where buddys but here you are wth a vicious attack on my credibility ......why did you do it maddzy why

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Glippo

Then personally id train for a mining barge like a covetor, gives you the option to do a bit of mining if you can stomach it, High prices on low end minerals atm.. huge shortage on the markets.

Be warn-zored, mining is one of, if not the most boring thing you can do in eve, many ppl can stomach this, because if done right the profits can be quite high, but its usually trained on an alt not a main, anyway my point is dont go mining thinking ull make isk, (cause you wont until u have trained for a long time), get really bored sitting there in the belt for hours on end, and then end up quitting eve because of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Missioning is the best way to make ISK. Mining might be nice, but its mindnumbingly boring. Only macro miners can stomach it, and they get paid to do it.

And to be good at missioning you need to get your ship & combat skills up which fits nicely in with PvP when you feel the need. Mining skills dont transfer as neatly tbh.

Only problem you have is that the best PvE ships are Ravens, which are at best average in PvP. So for PvP, youll need to probably train Gallente. Domi is a good missioning boat, but not as good as the Raven because some missions go nuts when you release drones. Christ knows why.

Dark lolol I've never even been to Rauchy :p

But yeah.. isk in this game:

in missions requres a navy raven if you wanna do it solo :confused:, or requires an alt/friend in a remote repping cruiser shield/armor etc.. with any other BS

Mining/production.. with a few hundered mill you can set yourself up for life with the bpos required to gleam the hard earned iskies from all those "Hardcore PVPers" like DarkIreland, and Darc Kahaar etc.. ;)

Running hidden complexes.. But theres a fairly hefty skill training queue might take you a year+ toget all the stuff required at a decent level.

And lastly selling Game time cards for ISK or.. *snip* i'm actually ghey!

Dark lolol I've never even been to Rauchy :p

Lies the screenshot does not lie you carebear chimera driveing feck.
    in missions requres a navy raven if you wanna do it solo , or requires an alt/friend in a remote repping cruiser shield/armor etc.. with any other BS

Cnr's are nice and support domis/logistics are handy (use both when missioning myself) but you dont need them to solo lvl 4's just becareful with your spawn agroing and use either a raven with cap booster or raven with ccc rigs while havieng your ship set up to resist the rats specific damage's no problem's normaly apart from 2-3 missions like worlds collides and enemys abound which should be avoided for a young-un.
    Mining/production.. with a few hundered mill you can set yourself up for life with the bpos

True but mining is a soul crushing enterprize at the best of times and production of even bc's quickly would need at lest a covertor with good skills which is a fair bit of training not to menton a fairly quite system full of ore which is rarer than gold dust at the moment.
    hard earned iskies from all those "Hardcore PVPers" like DarkIreland

Hope that was an ironic joke ;p iv never been described as a hardcore pvper in all my life ;) and quite rightly so i think in 2 years i have around 100 kills ^_^ and i build most of my own t1 ships if i can be arsed anyway
    Running hidden complexes.. But theres a fairly hefty skill training queue might take you a year+ toget all the stuff required at a decent level.

yar lot of skills and luck for that tbh ;/
    And lastly selling Game time cards for ISK or..

both need real money and the latter is against the rules ;p

in missions requres a navy raven if you wanna do it solo :confused:, or requires an alt/friend in a remote repping cruiser shield/armor etc.. with any other BS

QUOTE]

Like Biz said. Once your skills are up there is no mission that a raven properly setup can't handle with exception of Enemies Abound. Even WC has been turned into an easy mission.

Please also note that there are other ways to make money like joining a corp, getting their trust then robbing them blind. Piracy/gate camping, scamming etc etc.

Just about anything goes in Eve.

Like Biz said. Once your skills are up there is no mission that a raven properly setup can't handle with exception of Enemies Abound. Even WC has been turned into an easy mission.

Please also note that there are other ways to make money like joining a corp, getting their trust then robbing them blind. Piracy/gate camping, scamming etc etc.

Just about anything goes in Eve.

Be warned that if you scam an Irish person ill be down on your ass so fast DI's head will spin! Scam the English and Americans they be dumb!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Have to agree with the others that mining tends to be soul destroying, as such one of the downsides to joining corps is that there is usually a corp mining day where members are supposed to spend a chunk of the day mining ore for the corp, and if your corp is part of an alliance you can throw an alliance mining day on top of that.

The one upside is that once you get to mining barges and strip miners they have a 3 minute cycle so if you stay in 0.6 or higher space you barely need to interact with the game except to fly to a station to drop off the ore when your hold is full or change asteroid when one you're mining gets depleted. Means I'll often browse the market, read up on game aspects I'm not yet familiar with, or even browse the real internet while mining now.
    Exhumers have a larger cargo hold so they require even less player interaction.

Missioning gets way better returns (provided you salvage the wrecks after) but can get quite difficult if you don't have the skills & ship for the job, and remember drones are your friends, brilliant little blighters when missioning, but suck as miners, IMO.

R0ot wrote: »
    Be warned that if you scam an Irish person ill be down on your ass so fast DI's head will spin! Scam the English and Americans they be dumb!

A: I don't normally make a habit out of asking someone their nationality.

B: I was born in England. I almost take offense to that :)

C: Finally you might want to go down on my ass but my girlfriend may have issues with you doing that, it's also kinda hairy and I'm not waxing for you.

B: I was born in England. I almost take offense to that :)

UNCLEAN! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

You dont need CNR's or faction gear to run missions tbh. I've never followed the logic of spending isk to make isk. And I've seen plenty of faction fitted ships go pop in a mission too. Theyre not invincable. If youre careful and avoid the missions from hell [ which often dont give all that much more reward given time taken on them] youll do fine in a T2 Raven. Ive tanked Gurista L4 missions using my passive shield resist on a Raven fitted for mission running gank [ 2* Target Painters + 3 BCU IIs FTW] and an active tank.

But the best solution for isk making is to join an active mission running corp that runs missions together - guys Im with sometimes run missions solo, but usually people gang up, everyone grabs a mission and we murder them in turn. Run them faster, more safely and more importantly with more chat and laughs.

Running them solo can nearly get as bad as mining.

• Advertisement

Sand wrote: »

Running them solo can nearly get as bad as mining.

Thats very true anything is better when done with someone else tbh

Advertisement