Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

your views on pet expo

Options
  • 14-10-2007 7:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭

hi all
    just in from pet expo and i have to say i found i a big disappointment. first i had to queue in then after fighting my way around i found there was nothing about cats except for one stall and that was about persian cats. i have a couple of cats and that was the reason i went to the PET expo. they should've called it the dog show more like it. when shows were on the stands you could'nt get near some of the exhibits.A real let down by major standards.
    Anybody else have any views on this or am i the only one that was let down big time?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

I went yesterday & came home with plenty of bits & pieces & lots of free samples for my 4 kitties :D much more in fact for the kitties than the stuff I got for the 2 doggies

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Nah, I thought it was crap. Glad I got a free ticket and didn't have to spend 12 quid for stuff I could have picked up in my local pet shop

Would have liked to have seen more stalls run by Shelters and Rescues ......

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭ashlingm

Have to agree i was a little let down by it - however since it is the 1st year it has run im hoping it can only get better from here...maybe next year in the big hall - more stands from non-dog companies. And i loved the animals on display would be fab if they had some more (maybe more rescue dogs on display for adoption too)
    I did like the talks though - esp by the Aib Naturally Wild guy,,-pete wedderburn was pretty good too , very interesting.
    But wow totally fell in love with the mini shetlands!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

I didn't like the fact there were so many animals on sale, it's just inviting impulse buyers. Also in the pet farm section there was a mother guinea pig nursing 3 babies that I thought should not have been there.

Some of the stalls were good, got to have a good chat with Ben from Reptile Haven about Mr Nala getting a tortoise, he was full of info. I got to hold a python as well (or a constrictor, I'm not sure which). I am actually less afraid of huge monsters like that than of a small corn snake!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I was really disappointed with this show. Firstly, it was really dedicated to dog owners although there were some concessions to cats and reptiles.

Me, I'm interested in dwarf hamsters and smaller rodents. But there was nothing ( and I mean nothing) in this area on display.

If I had a kid at the show I would have been fairly disappointed. There were really no animals worth talking about on show, bar a few dejected looking ponies and the most pis*ed-off looking pygmy goat. The dog training display was fairly poor ( to be honest, I've never been a fan of training dogs to do things by feeding them treats the whole time - you end up with mindless morons).

It could have been so much more. Better display of animals, broader selection of shops and stands, not so orientated on dogs.

EDIT: There was an eagle on display from an eagle rescue sanctuary who was handsome. A rare sight and a welcome one in a show that was fairly full of tat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

I wasn't impressed (and neither were Ben from the Reptile Haven, James from Reptile Village and Thomas from Boardwalk Pets) with the Wexford petshop that had the large Burmese python (they were directly opposite Reptile Village who had their own python in a secure cage) on the floor unsupervised at times.

The python was (or rather all the kids and adults gathered around it were) causing an obstruction by the main door because the shop had it on the floor near Thomas' stand. He said it was unwise because large snakes are potentially very dangerous. I've been bitten by much smaller pythons and boa constrictors and it hurts, a bite from a snake that size would be much worse.

I heard from other people that:

*at one point it was on the floor of the pet shop's display, wrapped around a cage full of rabbits
    *at one point it was on the floor BESIDE a rabbit
    *someone on another board said that he heard the people in the shop tell someone that the python ate fish.
    *the DSPCA were over at their shop TWICE because people were complaining about the way they were managing the python.

I sat with the python on the shop floor for a while and held her front half on my lap where she was content to lie. After a while a load of kids came in and started touching her, she proceeded to go behind a set of pet cushions to try and hide, but could only get her front 1/3 inside. The shop left ALL their animals overnight, Reptile Haven and Reptile Village brought their animals away at the end of every night.

They had a tank full of baby royal pythons, definately wild caught or farmed. Underweight, with poor sheds. They needed a moist hide, but did they have one? Have a guess

Tegu was in a tank that was far too small. In the Reptile Haven's shop in Fishamble Street they have smaller tegus for sale in a tank that is at least twice as large.

At one point I noticed a lovebird flying around another shop that had parrots sitting on perches etc. This was Saturday, they said it had escaped on the Friday.

I was talking to the vet after Reptile Villages talk 'Exotics- Handle with Care'. A finch flew over our heads and landed beside the stand selling that powder to add to your dogs food to prevent tooth decay. The vet managed to catch it.

When we left there were still at least two small birds (including the lovebird)

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

Glowing wrote: »
    Would have liked to have seen more stalls run by Shelters and Rescues ......

I know a couple of people who run rescues who would have loved to have had a stall, they made inquiries and couldn't due to excessively high charges :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

dudara wrote: »
    I was really disappointed with this show. Firstly, it was really dedicated to dog owners although there were some concessions to cats and reptiles.

Me, I'm interested in dwarf hamsters and smaller rodents. But there was nothing ( and I mean nothing) in this area on display.

If I had a kid at the show I would have been fairly disappointed. There were really no animals worth talking about on show, bar a few dejected looking ponies and the most pis*ed-off looking pygmy goat. The dog training display was fairly poor ( to be honest, I've never been a fan of training dogs to do things by feeding them treats the whole time - you end up with mindless morons).

It could have been so much more. Better display of animals, broader selection of shops and stands, not so orientated on dogs.

And how do you reward your dogs for doing agility or for doing a sit etc ?
    Personally I use a treat the few times then after that you can stop giving them the treats but for motivation and learning purposes I can't think any dog would just do it without any reward at all.
    I think it's very unfair you are saying they end up mindless morons.

That Wexford pet shop also were feeding their tortoise iceberg lettuce. Ben from Reptile Haven told me that iceberg lettuce is bad for tortoises- it is full of water and dopamine and it is addictive to them.

And anyone could have stood on that python. He could have struck someone. The Reptile Zoo's one was held by their staff at all times.

SuzyS1972 wrote: »
    And how do you reward your dogs for doing agility or for doing a sit etc ?
    Personally I use a treat the few times then after that you can stop giving them the treats but for motivation and learning purposes I can't think any dog would just do it without any reward at all.
    I think it's very unfair you are saying they end up mindless morons.

By petting them and praising them. Would you reward all your kids achievements with food? Why do the same with a dog?

• Advertisement

There were plenty of hamsters and a couple of degus.

One of the ponies had a sign outside his pen saying not to touch him as he bites- there were kids with their arms in the pen, petting him. Why was he on display if he bites? Granted, any animal will bite if pushed to its limit, but putting one on display knowing he bites just from being handled is wrong. Especially because he could bite even more in the stressful, noisy environment of the pet Expo. Everyone should be aware that an animal can bite but if the animal is part of a petting farm many of us would take it for granted that it is safe to pet.

Nala wrote: »
    There were plenty of hamsters and a couple of degus.

I did see a few, but only a few, and I was hoping to find hamster cages, accessories and feeds. Stuff that I mightn't see normally.

By petting them and praising them. Would you reward all your kids achievements with food? Why do the same with a dog?

No but then again kids understand English - dogs don't :p

Fair play to you - I don't stuff them full of food but they do love getting a teeny bit of cheese or ham at the end of a course - can't see the harm - as they are not getting a bit of food for every action - they are able to follow a course and hand directions without getting any food - just a small reward at the end - of you noticed today a lot of people were throwing a ball or a toy at the end - I find this works equally well for toy motivated dogs.

SuzyS1972 wrote: »
    No but then again kids understand English - dogs don't :p
    But dogs do understand attention :D
    Fair play to you - I don't stuff them full of food but they do love getting a teeny bit of cheese or ham at the end of a course
    No harm there, but these dogs seemed to be getting food for everything they did.

I've helped my Dad train cattledogs, and I find that dogs will do things for the fun of it and the challenge. They just need the praise.

Did anyone see the HUGE owl tied to a perch just to the left of the main door? One kid was walking around with a lab, and he went for the Owl (probably just a sniff) but the bird got freaked out and tried to fly off. Of course he got about one foot away before falling over and smacking his head on the ground and flapping his wings in confusion.

Shameful.

Demonique wrote: »
    Oh and whilst Joe Public wasn't allowed to bring his/her pet, the same wasn't true for so-called celebrities, I saw Twink with her dog, I wonder if Linda 'Hatchet face' Martin came and brought her dogs.

That was one rule that was not adhered to at all - loads of people had their pets there - why can't Irish people abide by any rules at all ?

I don't think Linda Martin had her dogs with her but Twink did -

I didn't see the owl, what did he look like? I saw the Bald Eagle though, magnificent animal.

That owl shouldn't have been left alone, and there should have been a barrier around it. Was it inside or outside?

The owl was inside - on a fake log only a foot or two off the ground. Fairly accessable by all other dogs/animals in the room. Not sure why the stall was there but the owl should have been put in a safer place I think. He must have felt very vulnerable just tied there unable to defend himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭nag

i was a little disappointed i didnt get to go to this but by the sounds of it, i didnt miss much

did they have any other pets there aside from cats, dogs, birds and reptiles? what about fish or was that it? how big was it - did they use all the halls?

warning... rant ahead...

when i hear of people buying more exotic pets from expos like these or even just petshops it just breaks my heart coz you know that the vast majority of them have done absolutely no research into what kind of care goes into those pets apart from having a quick conversation with the schmuck who owns the petshop and who's just trying to make a quick buck. imo, owning and caring for a pet is a big responsibility and not something to be taken lightly but unfortunately, finding a petshop that actually cares for what it's selling and in return promotes good care is a hard thing to find in an industry that thrives on impulse buying or the "OMG COOL! I WANT" factor :(

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭piskins72

I wasnt at the show myself, had been thinking of going but never materalised, am glad now going on these comments.

just from reading what people have said, was there any supervision on how it was run and how the stalls were by the likes of the DSPCA or any of those organisations? like spot checks been done etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Was thinking of going to this over the weekend, but I looked at the line-up on their website and saw that all that was on it was stalls with clothes for dogs...

Was there anything to do with parrots or any parrots at it?

There was at least two stalls with parrots, the clueless Wexford shop with the large Burmese Python and a stall with a blue and gold macaw who was on a high perch and more interested in playing with its toys. That stall had birds only.

IMO, if you're going to buy a parrot buy from a breeder and not from a petshop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

I don't think this was ever intended to be a pet show as such, from what I read and heard it was always advertised as a consumer show for pets and so when I got there I wasn't disappointed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Jodie Charlie

I thought it was a fantastic. And am glad there was not lots of rescue dogs on show and other animals on show - I think there was enough - if people are interested they can go off now and do their research having talked to ppl at Paws, ASH, DID, Dogs Trust, Anvil stands, ISPCA and Dublin SPCA. I think there was plenty of choice from rescues to talk to!
    I got a lot of information on new foods, homemade treats, interactive toys and treats for my dogs like nylabones, kongs and treatballs, and some bits and bobs for myself off Dogs Trust stand - I was ladden down with things by time i got home and did not buy any clothes for my dogs!!!
    The agility was fantastic to watch how Carol teaches she truely is brilliant and it was a workshop after all - TEACHING the dogs how to do it. Maybe its treats that worked for those dogs, maybe its a ball or maybe its attention. Dogs are selfish and always wondering whats in it for them - you get the best out of your dog by understanding how to teach them and you most certainly do not get morans from using treats - that made me laugh :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭michelleans

I had a fun time. Got to talk to alot of interesting people, got info on pet insurance which I will be purchasing, and car covers which we were looking for anyway. Got lots of free samples from loads of different dog food manufacturers (there were loads of cat food free samples too). Bought some stuff to support charities, talked to rescues, donated money, petted cute puppies :D Like the demonstration by Irish guide dogs too, I'd love to do some puppywalking for them in the future.

I'm sure it'll be bigger and better next year - this was only the first year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I was asked to attend to give a few talks - but they wanted me to bring my monkeys & exotics (I COULD NOT PUT THEM INTO SMALL CAGES TO BE POKED AT!)

Maybe next year I will have a stall & a few of my animals (once I can afford huge new cages etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭nag

monkeys?! what other "exotics" do you have? pics plz :p

If you do a search I have pics of the marmosets on here somewhere - we have skunks, squirrels, reptiles etc etc.

Spoke to Allianz Insurance about cover for non canine and feline pets. They said Allianz did not have any plans to go in that direction in the immediate future. I told them Allianz had lost a customer for any kind of insurance. One of them agreed with me and said 'quite right too'

• Advertisement

upsidedownGizmo.jpg
    TazRascal.jpg
    Gremlin.jpg

Advertisement