Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sending + Receiving SMS through PC.

Options
  • 14-10-2007 8:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭

Does anybody have any information on this? Ideally, I'd like to be able to receive sms through my PC, analyse it, then send a response. Java preferably.

Do I need some sort of GSM modem? I only have a crappy Sagam "my X5-2" phone atm so can't really interface with that in any reasonable way. I'm barely scrapping the surface of research atm and I realise I've been quite thin on information but I'm looking for any info available.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Cantab.

Does anybody have any information on this? Ideally, I'd like to be able to receive sms through my PC, analyse it, then send a response. Java preferably.

Do I need some sort of GSM modem? I only have a crappy Sagam "my X5-2" phone atm so can't really interface with that in any reasonable way. I'm barely scrapping the surface of research atm and I realise I've been quite thin on information but I'm looking for any info available.

Why don't u just get a bog standard Nokia and a data cable? I understand there are loads of class libraries out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

I have no problems with that if it's the most direct route, I thought a standalone modem might provide a better interface. Although it would be handy enough to borrow a couple of phones and test some libraries first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Did this way back in 2001 using a GSM modem with VB6. Its not difficult.. If your modem is attached through a COM port you can access it. I eventually modded it to use IR (using a nokia phone .. same code just different port)

The sending sequence is the same, you just use the AT Command set to do it and its the same for all phones really.

Recieving is slightly different as you have to access the modem and read the message store but its not that difficult.

Cool, thanks Ginger.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

If i can dig out the code, i will post it up... my main issue is that the machine that the code is on, is in ireland and I am in norway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I did something on this way back when too.

I just Googled 'nokia sms AT commands' and it was the first hit - a PDF file. I can't upload it to this post as it is too big (even though it is < 300k).

Thanks Tom, that's plenty now for me to go off and have a bash, just need to get a lend of a decent phone.

Advertisement