Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medicine requirements

Options
  • 14-10-2007 8:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭

Irish
    English
    A third language
    Mathematics
    One laboratory science subject***
    One other recognised subject

***A minimum of HC3 in Chemistry is essential for consideration for admission to the five-year programme.

My career guidance counsellor told me on multiple occasions you need two lab subjects to get into medicine fullstop but the UCD website says one.

So is one enough or what? I only do one.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Think UCD is the one exception to the rule.Some people in school with me only had one so they all had to apply to UCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Best thing is to call the Med School office on 716 6653.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 UpcomingStudent

try www.qualifax.ie if it says it there its a 99.9% of being right

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

I only did Chemistry and they let me in :D That was 3 years ago though so definitely check Qualifax or ring the office - I didn't hear anything about them changing it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭ryanairzer

Qualifax concurs. Will ring the office tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Ado86

It may only be a matriculation requirement but by far the best two sciences to have for medicine are biology and chemistry- physics isnt that helpful.

Ado86 wrote: »
    It may only be a matriculation requirement but by far the best two sciences to have for medicine are biology and chemistry- physics isnt that helpful.

I would have said physics and chemistry were the best ones to have to be honest! Biology is easy enough to pick up along the way....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭me2gud4u

hey currently in pre med and i'd say biology and chemistry are the most helpful however it's a no win situation!!!

chemistry is required if you want to be considered for the five yr course and u get 600 points, and it seems that everyone has chemistry anyway. prob good idea seeing as that particular lecturer doesn't put his notes on blackboard.......

biology,well ppl aorund me who have not done biology find it hard to follow sometimes as the lecturer tends to assume we all have a background in it but biology is just learning and well if you spend time at it you'll be fine

physics is causing everyone problems, even those who did it for the leaving cert, so i really don't think it makes much of a difference whether you have it or not from ur leaving and we've been told we don't need our physics after pre med at all anyway, fairly pointless.

might be worth mentioning, but higher level maths, although not a requirement has got "us non physics leavingcerters" through a lot and i would recommend doing it to give u a good grounding in maths, something from which you would benefit right across the board in pre med!

me2gud4u wrote: »
    physics is causing everyone problems, even those who did it for the leaving cert, so i really don't think it makes much of a difference whether you have it or not from ur leaving and we've been told we don't need our physics after pre med at all anyway, fairly pointless.

More physics than you might think in the years ahead mate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

More physics than you might think in the years ahead mate!

In cappagh at the mo doing orthopoedics...its all bloody physics...wish I concentrated more in Dr Scotts lectures in first year now :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement