Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Non standard numberplates

Options
  • 14-10-2007 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭

What is the story with enforcement of the rules on number plates. It seems to me that about 1 in every 10 cars I see has some sort of non standard plate and it's not just "boyracer" cars either. Many of these plates are far less legible than the standard plates, the swirly font ones are particularly bad. When I see a non standard plate on a car I often think "tosser" and I notice that cars with these plates tend to be driven badly. It is pretty sad IMO to see a brand new car where someone has gone out of their way to fit swirly font plates or some other tacky crap to it. Do people actually think these look cool.

The worst type of plates are the ones which are an Irish reg but on a yellow background. Do these eejits think that people are going to be fooled into thinking its a NI reg. There are an increasing number of these about and from what I see there is a very strong correlation between dangerous driving and having this type of plate.

In GB if you drove around with plates that were obviously non standard you'd last about 5 minutes before being pulled over by the police. The same enforcement will have to happen here before barrier free tolling comes in.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Hate the yellow plates on irish cars more so than the gothic font plates

my friend had one on the front of his car about the size of a DVD case.. Guard said did your plate shrink in the wash :D get them changed !!

Whats worse is standard plates are being failed at NCT centres cause they don't display "Baile Atha Cliath" etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

What about those that cut away all the white from L plates? They really get my goat. :mad:

Bond-007 wrote: »
    What about those that cut away all the white from L plates? They really get my goat. :mad:

I'd love to know who started that trend, but in fairness its better than displaying no plates at all which quite alot of Learners are doing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭oleras

Whats worse is standard plates are being failed at NCT centres cause they don't display "Baile Atha Cliath" etc

Thats not a fail anymore afaik.

Saw one a few weeks ago, porche of course.....along the lines of 06-D4-911 :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

backwards L plates annoy me!

• Advertisement

LED washer jets two blue dots meeting you from the other side of the road :rolleyes:

oleras wrote: »
    Thats not a fail anymore afaik.

Saw one a few weeks ago, porche of course.....along the lines of 06-D4-911 :rolleyes:

Failed on that 2 years ago. Printed "Balie Atha Cliath" on the Dymo and stuck it on & it passed :rolleyes:

Failed on that 2 years ago. Printed "Balie Atha Cliath" on the Dymo and stuck it on & it passed :rolleyes:

You should look for unkels thread on it.......

great to have search back........... http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=302494&highlight=nct

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

BrianD3 wrote:
    The worst type of plates are the ones which are an Irish reg but on a yellow background. Do these eejits think that people are going to be fooled into thinking its a NI reg.
    Seems to be rampant in Co Donegal. It looks so stupid! :rolleyes:

Ever notice the large amount of hearses with illegal plates? (usually silver characters on a black plate).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

While we are on the topic of reg. plates, what is with some reg. plates that are printed on a blue background?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Max_Damage wrote: »
    While we are on the topic of reg. plates, what is with some reg. plates that are printed on a blue background?
    It is an attempt to defeat speed cameras.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Ah lads, change the record - I only came in here for a look and three years on you are still in agreement that anyone with a fancy plate should be treated with the same contempt as a kitten-rapist.

People do stuff, get over it.

'cptr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

One test centre visited by a relative repaired, on their own initiative, the BaC with some spare labels, rather than fail her. Nice to see some common sense applied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

The county no longer needs to be displayed in Irish. This was changed quite some time ago(whenever they made the test easier).

Are those German plates complete with fälschungserschwerende Schrift an nct failure? You know the ones sometimes seen on German cars, but with an Irish reg, though the place where the country normally resides on a Euro plate is marked D for Germany.

I mean technically they are illeagl, aren't they, and if so, what can be done to you/your car if you drive your car with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,284 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Should have failed you on that too! :D

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

^^^^ They are available with IRL rather than D but still are technically illegal. Guards would not bother you so long as its IRL and numbers & letters are spaced properly. Come NCT time a quick change to Std Irish Spec would be wise as the Font and lack of dashes would probably result in a failure.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

colm_mcm wrote: »
    backwards L plates annoy me!
    Amen to that. If you don't know which way a letter L goes, driving may not be for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,284 ✭✭✭✭Esel

^ Some people subscribe to the theory that the front L plate should be backwards so that it appears properly in the rear view mirror of drivers ahead!

Not your ornery onager

esel wrote: »
    ^ Some people subscribe to the theory that the front L plate should be backwards so that it appears properly in the rear view mirror of drivers ahead!

Some people are wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Or is it possibly people leaving the (usually) blue protective film on the plate?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

im not too bothered by a lot of the so called skanger mods that some people do to their cars but when it comes to reg plates they really get on my nerves, I just think that for the money you would pay for these plates you could have bought something way better for your car, something that you might actually get some use out of., Someone mentioned having really small plates, although i dont really like them too small i think you should be allowed to have a smaller plate on the front of the car, some cars just look silly with a normal plate on the front, like a lot of alfa romeos etc, but im not a fan of them fancy numbers/colours etc.,

• Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

vtec wrote: »
    Someone mentioned having really small plates, although i dont really like them too small i think you should be allowed to have a smaller plate on the front of the car, some cars just look silly with a normal plate on the front, like a lot of alfa romeos etc, but im not a fan of them fancy numbers/colours etc.,

Our plates are pretty standard size for use across the EU, it's just Alfa can't be @rsed to make their cars look good with standard plates:D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Del2005 wrote: »
    Our plates are pretty standard size for use across the EU, it's just Alfa can't be @rsed to make their cars look good with standard plates:D
    I dunno.. I think they look alright to the left of centre. Kinda reminds me of all those cars in US TV shows I watched in the 80s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭siralfalot

some people have waaaaay to much time on their hands, personally I couldn't give a crap what type of numberplates are on cars, as long as they actually have them :D:rolleyes::p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Anyone with non standard plates is an idiot, first of all, no one but the owner thinks they look "cool", and second of all, they just give you unwanted attention form the cops.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Number places are there for legal and enforcement reasons not for decoration.
    Whats next on the shed - tax, insurance and NCT disk in coordinated dayglo colours & matching wingdings font with led surrounds. :eek:
    Some plates may well be able to defeat cameras, took a pic of one and all I got was bleach but rest of cars decal was clearly legible.
    WA - Cant imagine any garda pulling over a hearse, for any reason. Likely come under same exceptions as a vintage car anyway.

Blue leds if not illegal should be. How do I tell if I'm being followed by boy racer or garda.:confused:
    Should come with matching ringtone sirens;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,023 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Rovi wrote: »
    Or is it possibly people leaving the (usually) blue protective film on the plate?

Rovi is spot on. Just people not realising that there's a protective blue plastic layer that they're supposed to take off the plate. If they think it'll fool a speed camera, they're in for a shock.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

another thing is them crome plate surrounds that a lot of people have on their cars, and that one isnt just a 17year old fella thing, ive seen them on a lot of taxi's, bmw's and mercs etc.,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

There are also standard plates that I noticed recently when from a distance you cant see them, they appear something like a glow, and when you drive closer to the vehicle they are suddenly very visible. I also have to agree about Hearses having black and silver numberplates especially new models. I dont know why dealers put advertising on the numberplate surround when they also place a dealer sticker on the rear screen which is clearly visible from behind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

G Luxel wrote: »
    There are also standard plates that I noticed recently when from a distance you cant see them, they appear something like a glow, and when you drive closer to the vehicle they are suddenly very visible. I also have to agree about Hearses having black and silver numberplates especially new models. I dont know why dealers put advertising on the numberplate surround when they also place a dealer sticker on the rear screen which is clearly visible from behind.
    Maybe because a lot of the people (me included) take the sticker off, whereas it's a bit harder to do when it's part of your numberplate.

Advertisement