Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Dream Theater

• 14-10-2007 8:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭

Ok, I've seen many threads here about them, but I've never really spoken out about them myself. But this is where things change.

Last night I was lucky to experience these guys live. I only knew a few songs they played(knew a few others, but didnt play them). Oh God, it was sex to the ears, aural sex if you will. Constant Motion as an opener doesnt come much better. For over 2 hours, they showed just about every other musician how it should be done(even though I find most other bands music better to listen to). The musicianship is crazy. Dont think I've ever seen 5 different, more exceptional musicians in such a small space. Portnoy is a god!

Anyone else seen them this year? How I wish they'd play Ireland, just out of handiness. At least I know it'd be worth it the next time. As I Am is one hell of a song.

Kudos DT, it ws unbelievable to a noob of the band!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Was there myself last night & had a great night..
    Thought Wembley was a great venue - really good design.
    Symphony X were brilliant & thankfully got a long enough set - 45mins.
    Dream Theater as usual were amazing - it was about my 7th time to see them, so I'm a bit biased, but they didn't disappoint. James' voice was a bit screechy at times (what's new?), but other than that they were outstanding. They played a 2 hour & 15 minute set, so all & all a great value night out & definitely worth flying over for!
    Mushy, don't think they'll play Dublin again, or at least not in the distant future - unfortunately, its just not worth it for the irish promoters as their fee is just too much to make it worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Cool, you wrent by any chance in the Mcdonalds on Fletchley Road at 1 in the morning ya? Few Irish in there, 2 who were in the same hostel as us. Or maybe were you up the front, talking to some Irish lads before DT started, when the dude was up fixing the light? Oh man, Dark Eternam Night is amazing, I'm catching up for ignorance right now

Nah, was on my own - didn't get talking to anyone. Was standing beside three northy's in the queue & then 2 in the gig, but didn't get chatting at all... Met my brother in some weird club in La Scala afterwards - very strange altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I've seen them at Download, and they were absolutely phenominal live, I was thinking of going to see the show in London too, but next time I guess. ;)

Glad you enjoyed it, Mushy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Saw them in Wembley too. Didnt think they played for that long though...I thought ti was just under 2 hours. But yeah it was amazing! The medley at the end was my favourite part.

• Advertisement

It was about 2hrs, maybe a few minutes more. I'm going DT crazy here, gonna order Systematic Chaos and Train of Thought now I think. Such a crazily good band.

Dr.Poca wrote: »
    Saw them in Wembley too. Didnt think they played for that long though...I thought ti was just under 2 hours. But yeah it was amazing! The medley at the end was my favourite part.

Nah, they started just after 8.30 & weren't off stage til 10.45..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Alanthroneus

grrr...

i really wanna see them play, my mate saw them in Manchester.........bastard......

grrr...

i really wanna see them play, my mate saw them in Manchester.........bastard......

Take it from me, I wanna see them again now. Before it I didnt know too much of them. I wont mind waiting a few years when I have to travel to see them again.

Train of Thought & Systematic Chaos on their way now to my house. Got the special edition cd/dvd of SC...should be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

Saw them in Wembley on Saturday too. Thought it was probly the best gig I've been to and my friend agreed. Set-list was amazing, Lines In The Sand!!! When they came on and played Constant Motion followed by Strange Deja-Vu everyone around me went insane!! I was around the 5/6th row for the whole thing between LaBrie and Petrucci. Just magnificent. Petrucci and Rudess were on top form, never seen Rudess interact with the crowd so much and Portnoy seemed genuinely blown away by the reaction.

Seen them in London on the last tour but Wembley was easily the best (even though the previous one was one of my favourites too).

Amazing band, unbelievable amount of absolutely cracking songs. Always annoys me when people dismiss them as "souless", "pointless wankery", "good musicians but can't write songs" etc.
    One of my first real obsessive bands.

• Advertisement

Saw them in Wembley on Saturday too. Thought it was probly the best gig I've been to and my friend agreed. Set-list was amazing, Lines In The Sand!!! When they came on and played Constant Motion followed by Strange Deja-Vu everyone around me went insane!! I was around the 5/6th row for the whole thing between LaBrie and Petrucci. Just magnificent. Petrucci and Rudess were on top form, never seen Rudess interact with the crowd so much and Portnoy seemed genuinely blown away by the reaction.

Seen them in London on the last tour but Wembley was easily the best (even though the previous one was one of my favourites too).

Amazing band, unbelievable amount of absolutely cracking songs. Always annoys me when people dismiss them as "souless", "pointless wankery", "good musicians but can't write songs" etc.
    One of my first real obsessive bands.

I could very well have been talking to you. Before DT started, I was about 5/6 rows back, between where LaBrie and Petrucci would have been. By the end of it, I was just about against the barrier, and I didnt even push forward once, just fell about the place.

Was delighted they played a song I recognised first, cos, as I said, I wasnt that hugely into them(but still would go to London for them??), so didnt know too much.

I will say I prefer other bands songs, but their musicianship just, actually, everything doesnt matter after that for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

DT are my favourite band and pretty much the most talented group to ever exist. Petrucci is an amazing guitarist, and Portnoy is probably one of the best drummers ever. I have yet to see them live though =/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

Mushy wrote: »
    I could very well have been talking to you. Before DT started, I was about 5/6 rows back, between where LaBrie and Petrucci would have been. By the end of it, I was just about against the barrier, and I didnt even push forward once, just fell about the place.

Lol yeah, I didn't really push forward just seemed to keep falling closer and closer towards the stage, can't remember if I was talking to anyone at it though.
    Thought the crowd were fantastic. When LaBrie launched into the "one last time" section of Finally Free I could hardly hear him people were singing so loudly.
    The new stuff went down exceptionally well, great live songs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I only started listening to Dream Theatre recently, picked up Once In A Live Time cheap. I'm pretty much hooked. The music is so, well, unique. The essence of their music seems to be "Because we bloody well CAN do it". There's such a gorgeous mix of the melodic and the f*ck off heavy. I shall be procuring many more of their catalogue, I assure you.

Advertisement