Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

punto starting issue

Options
  • 14-10-2007 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

my punto cut out after about 2 mins after it was started. the battery was pretty low as it so i suspected it was the battery. Ive recharged the battery and refit back into the car. The engine sounds as if its just about to start, but isnt getting enough fuel to start. Am I right in thinking that my fuel pump has decided to pack in.
    if so, how much am i looking at for a new one? and is it a tough enough job to do yourself?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

have a look on the dash when your trying to start it and look for a light with a pic of a little key on it, if the light doesnt go out after a few seconds then you have a problem with the key/immobiliser,., also when you turn the cars ignition on dont actually start the car but turn the red lights on, you should be able to hear the fuel pump turnin up if you listen closely, its located under the rear seat area.,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

When a car is cutting out like that the most common things to look at would be air filter element or Spark Plugs.

Failing that, the next in line would be a dirty fuel filter or throttle body adjustment.

Sounds like it just needs new spark plugs to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭sc4rf4ce

yeah, the immobiliser light is going off. The engine sometimes almost starts, but then sputters and cuts out again. it sounds like its something to do with the fuel, in the way that it sputters a bit.
    I've heard that the fuel pumps are a common fault with punto's. are they easy enough to replace, or am i looking at a bit of a job?

the car has just had an oil and spark plug change about 2 weeks ago as part of its service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Sorry just had to bring up this old chestnut.....

Fix It Again Tomorrow :D

• Advertisement

you're telling me. ive only just replaced the slave cylinder about 2 months ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭siralfalot

Feelgood wrote: »
    Sorry just had to bring up this old chestnut.....

Fix It Again Tomorrow :D

wow what a helpful imput! :rolleyes:

Try a new battery before you jump to any expensive conclusions, Italian cars don't like batterys that are less than healthy

thats what i thought at first. because the battery was pretty low as it was. but i plugged it into a charger unit, and fully recharged the baterry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭siralfalot

sc4rf4ce wrote: »
    thats what i thought at first. because the battery was pretty low as it was. but i plugged it into a charger unit, and fully recharged the baterry.

yup you may have done, but the fact that it was low in the first place suggests to me that its on the way out, and is not holding charge well now, which could cause the symptoms its having

its a recent enough battery, and was holding its charge. until a head unit installed, and drained the battery completely flat. I know it sounds strange, but for some reason the head unit wouldnt stop drawing a current. the battery was so flat at that stage that the cabin light barely illuminated. after a jumpstart and a long drive it seemed to be fine. it only wore down again from trying to start it the other night.
    but i hear what you are saying, but by the sound of the engine. it definitely sounds like a fuel issue.

• Advertisement

so if it does turn out to be the fuel pump. Does anyone know how much it will cost me. is it easy enough to do a DIY job?

Advertisement