Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hallowmean ?

Options
  • 14-10-2007 10:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭

Whats the usual protocol for trick or treating ? Last year was my first Halloween here and I stocked up on the goodies, but noone came a knockin'
    Myself and the two dogs spent weeks munching our way through the stockpile - amazingly, I passed my next dental checkup with flying colours !

Do folks tend to call to known parties such as neighbours and friends ? Otherwise, I KNOW what will happen if I don't have supplies this year, - I will be invaded, will have nothing - and get a reputation as a Big Meanie......:o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Hammiepeters

I think that you either have to have kids participating or have some decorations outside. Otherwise they won't call. Most will be with their parents these days. But yes; there were a fair few last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 daithilocha

same here, had jack o lantern out, orange lights and not one dracula or witch to be seen at my door... im still eating the chuppa chumps..

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

We had lights on and jack o lantern and no visitors, but we're a duplex.

I think maybe trick or treating may have been limited to the houses?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 mousecatcher

Sadly not true. We had a house full of treats and only one set of visitors, one of who stated at the beginning of the transaction that he didn't want to waste any time on fruit or nuts and we were just to 'hand over the good stuff'. Wish i'd thought of that when i was a kid...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 42 ADK

We went out trick-or-treating last year in the Wood with our two. There were quite a few excited people waiting to hand us out some goodies which I thought was really nice. We went to houses and a couple of duplexes but only the ones that were obviously waiting for callers. We had gone out pretty early though as we had a party to go to. The callers seemed to go out quite early. This is probably because there are so many young kids around here. My kids are so excited about this year though and we're planning to go out in a group with some of their friends. I think Halloween is definitely my daughter's time of the year, she has been talking about it since last Halloween (she's only five).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Maisy

Thanks for the feedback - not many little uns in my immediate vacinity - not yet anyway lol, and won't be back from work until after any are out and back - all of which explains my stock pile last year !

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Cheeky Chops

I will be going out Trick or treating with family. Should we only knock on houses that have Halloween stuff in the windows etc?

Cheers in advance

Oh and what's the best time to go out (5 year olds)

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

Hiya cheeky chops. I think the little ones should go out before it gets too dark, and that way we can check out the costumes better too.

We had a good few callers last year, and we had our decorations up early as I put up all the home made school stuff.

Last year we had a few older kids call later, one of which had to interupt her mobile call to tell me "No Bounty Bars" before going back to her conversation, I still loved it.
    Best way to get used to the darker nights and holds off christmas in the shops too.

We had a few pumpkin raids last year, although I was able to convince the perps to return them in exchange for some bounty bars. And they had cut them for me too!

Will I need to pay protection for my pumpkin this year?

x:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Suder

We had a good few in the wood last year, it was deadly! I even hooked up my sound system with screams and howls ready to scare the punters with my remote control!! I ended up bottling it cause the kids were so little.
    Also we did hang up stuff outside which I reckon was a factor in them coming in.
    Lookin forward to this year! Watch out though, you may get a fright...wuh wuh wuh haa haa haa haaaaaaaaaaa

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭JanneG

The kids seems to have settled in...

I'd say we had at least 10 rings on the door (including one knock) compared to the 3 or so last year... All in all an upwards trend... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

JanneG wrote: »
    The kids seems to have settled in...

I'd say we had at least 10 rings on the door (including one knock) compared to the 3 or so last year... All in all an upwards trend... ;)

We even had some call to our duplex this time....

and by the way:

"People in Charlesland are so nice"
    --my 11-year old daughter, just back with the booty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Suder

Great night!
    We made 50 bags and there are only four left!! Less lefty overs for yours truly but I gotta be happy with that in fairness!
    It is so worth the effort to decorate too.
    Well done Charlesland kids! (and their parents of course!)

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Tomato

The kids all looked great.. we had a good few come by and they really cheered up my evening! They were so polite, no messers.. ( apart from the young lad who sneaked up behind me as I came in from work, as I turned off my house alarm he threated to tell everyone in the road my code unless I handed over the goods...!) Good to see such a great buzz around this evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭dubrunner

Completely agreed. The night was a fantastic success.

There was much more kids/families running around than last than in 2006.

The atmosphere was electric. With not only the all the kids getting involved, but the effort put in by those answering the doors was brilliant too with costumes, pumpkins, Halloween lights etc……!

There was a great family feel and the kids have all now settled in.

Charlesland has now officially arrived!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,937 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

yeah it was a good night - lots of great decorations on some of the houses in the Grove, spiders webs etc. We actually ran out of goodies at one point and had to run round to squinn for extra supplies.

btw - if any of you received any creme eggs on your travels, the ones we got were 18 months past their best-before date. not deliberate I'm sure, but I wouldn't eat them all the same...

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Sparks115

Have to agree with all the above comments "What a fabulous night" So many happy kids all over the estate. We gave out bucket loads of sweets and all the kids seemed to really have a ball!! The effort by everyone seems have made the night extra special. My sister same over last night with her boyfriend from town and they just thought it was so great to see adults, kids all dressed up and making an effort a real family & community feel to the estate. Well done to all the kids for being so well behaved and dressing up so brilliant!! Also well done to all the familys that made an effort to do up outside their houses and dress up also, it made it extra fun for the kids when they called to the houses!! Cant wait for next year already!!!:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 GreenEyes

I'm in the Grove & hardly got any callers, was very disappointed :(
    Had got loads of sweets for the kids and only 4 groups came. They all looked great by the way. I ended up giving the remainder of my sweets to a group of boys heading home around, they seemed happy enough to get them.

All in all though, the night seemed to go well in Charlesland & I didn't hear or see any trouble makers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,937 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

GreenEyes wrote: »
    I'm in the Grove & hardly got any callers, was very disappointed :(

did you have any decorations up? we generally stuck to the houses that had decorations outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 ADK

We went around the Wood, my 5 year old and 3 year old and a friend. We (or rather they) had a ball, everyone was so nice and had gone to so much trouble. There was such a great atmosphere and so many more people out than last year. Unfortunately we weren't home much for any callers but a few managed to catch us anyway. Great great night :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭MegFi

I' say about 50 kids called to my door in the Park. I got a pumpkin and kit for cutting it in Superquin and decorated it, lots candles etc and had so many callers who wanted to take photos of the pumpkin!!!! Was great fun. Was a steady flow from about 5.30-7pm, great fun...and the kids looked great. Never met so many well mannered good children - to add to it! Was a great evening!:D:D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭dubsgirl

Ah MegFi - my daughter told me all about this amazing pumpkin that this lady had carved herself. I have you to thank for setting me such a high standard next year;)

We had a blast! Never really been a fan before but I want to dress up next year!! If my friends knew I could never go out in public again..

Lovely seeing the atmosphere in Charlesland. I think this estate will be a lovely community in the next few years as people settle (and make babies :eek:).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Hammiepeters

Good for you. Go forth and multiply.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭MegFi

dubsgirl wrote: »
    Ah MegFi - my daughter told me all about this amazing pumpkin that this lady had carved herself. I have you to thank for setting me such a high standard next year;)

Thanks Dubsgirl, I must say I did enjoy it ...and was so amused at the children's interest in the pumpkin - it is easy to amuse children with the simplest things. I also had fun encouraging the children to knock all the neighbours doors and at one stage there was about 4 (houses) of us in a row handing out sweets and laughing at all what was going on. Very rare as we hardly ever see each other...and have such fantastic neighbours!:)

Advertisement