Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dwarf Hamsters

Options
  • 14-10-2007 11:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm thinking of buying dwarf hamsters but i don't know too much about their needs and such, wondering if anyone could fill me in at all? or a good place to buy them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Here's a thread that was posted earlier on the topic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭LovelyTom

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I had one before and he was lovely, really inquisitive. I'd let him run around on my desk while I was doing my homework and he'd always clamber into my pencil case and sit looking out at me waiting for seeds or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭ashlingm

only get one - hamsters are solitary animals...they will fight with each other eventually and one is bound to get killed. I learnt the hard way - and mine were sisters and raised together...once you play with it enough it wont get lonely either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

ashlingm wrote: »
    only get one - hamsters are solitary animals...they will fight with each other eventually and one is bound to get killed. I learnt the hard way - and mine were sisters and raised together...once you play with it enough it wont get lonely either

The OP is asking about dwarf hamsters, which can be kept together. It is the Syrian ones that can't be kept together.

• Advertisement

Here are some pics of my current winter white dwarf hamsters - they are beginning to start turning white - but only ever so slightly

They are from the same litter. Zorro is the black one and Mojito is the blond.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭ashlingm

Ive kept a good few hamsters in my time and ive read and have been told never keep 2 of any breed of hamster together...but if its a risk you want to take ,....its up to you, i just wouldnt advise it. Ive been there and seen the conseqeunces first hand...its not a pretty sight...

I've heard concerns about it also, but none of my pairs have ever displayed overly agressive behaviour, other than the odd bit of posturing. TBH, when I think about it, I'd rather keep them in pairs, as it gives them company.

Advertisement