Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Xenon Lights - Anyone else find them really distracting

Options
  • 14-10-2007 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭

Hi

Does anyone else find xenon lights really distracting at night. I find they dazzle you much more then the halogens.

A lot of the bmw's and mercs and range rovers have them now and they seem to be getting more popular.

I find when they flash across your mirrors at night its very distracting since they are more intense then the halogens. Even with the rear view mirror in the anti dazzle mode, the lights still flash across the side mirrors.

I see people giving out about idiots with blue lights under their cars, but these bluey xenons drive me up the wall.

Its especially bad when its a jeep behind you since they are in your line of vision.

Recently Ive had to let a car over take me as its lights seemed out of line and the xenons were flashing in my side mirrors over every bump. It was that distracting it was dangerous.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Bit of a pain alright, especially when they are mis aligned. If the problem car is behind I just let it pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Manageable if its just the odd car but if it gets like germany you'd be slowing to let them pass a lot more.

Was on the autobahns recently and the xenons are getting very common over there. Seems over here they are getting more and more common too.

Not fun, especially coming into the long dark winter evenings again.

Driving in Germany isn't a problem I have very often. You could get driving glasses which would filter the glare.

I wear glasses already (with anti glare / anti reflective coating ):)
    Good tip though.

Its just the xenons that i find a little dazzling. The halogens dont bother me at all. And I know im not the only one who thinks the same having chatted to a few people recently.

I was down around Munich last month and it seemed the xenons are everywhere. Have to say though driving on the roads over there is a joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

Fantastic things if your the person behind them!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

there only a problrm if they are alligned wrong, the point exactly on the road the same as halogen lights but there a lot safer on dark country roads.,

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Xenon's are the biz (Unless you need to replace them or the ballast)

But as said, can give you a sore head if they're shining onto you. I don't have a problem with them on car's, but those fcuking Range Rovers that stand about a mile high off the ground, hence lights shining right in your face.... :mad:

The jeeps are the worst alright.

Was reading a bit about them last night. The EU ruled that cars with xenon lights had to have self cleaning lens and auto leveling systems due to the extra glare on other drivers.

Don't know if this is true ( it was on wikipedia = grain of salt ).

If its true it would be nice if it auto leveled them a bit lower down.

I'd be happy to see them banned on Jeeps, and possibly cars, but definitely jeeps.

Just out of curiosity, how much better are they from behind the wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Aftermarket Xenon bulbs, and HID kits are a pain in the ass. Factory fitted Xenons aren't. My own MINI has factory Xenons and they self level when the car is turned on. A mate's MINI has a HID kit he put in himself, and it's like having sloth from the goonies behind you when driving with him.

timzaccheo.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Aye factory fit Xenon's are self levelling, but you can manually adjust the height of them still under the bonnet.

And yes, afaik xenon's must have self cleaning thingys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Aye factory fit Xenon's are self levelling, but you can manually adjust the height of them still under the bonnet.

And yes, afaik xenon's must have self cleaning thingys

this is only on new cars though isn't it?

retro fit xenons dont have to have the self levelling or self cleaning.

i too find them very annoying at night on the country roads

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Have factory Xenons on Impreza 06, and indeed they are self-levelling (but dunno about the self-cleaning bit).

Xenons > Halogen > white bulbs > yellow bulbs (IMHO - driven with all types for extended periods/all seasons).

Agree that misalignment (esp. in vertical plane) must be a problem mainly to be found with retrofits.

That would however depend on whether the retrofit is a bulbs-only affair (problematic) or, much less commonly, the entire optical block (self-levelling, so not so problematic).

(PS - nothing new though, since Citroën have had self-levelling headlights for donkeys' years ;)).

My next want: directional self-levelling (e.g. à la C5, or DS 40 years ago) xenons.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

ambro25 wrote: »
    My next want: directional self-levelling (e.g. à la C5, or DS 40 years ago) xenons.
    My mother has them on her 320d. Very impressive, although they'd want to be for €2,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I don't have them but when they first came out they blinded but now I don't even see them any more, really. Maybe they've blinded me.

We could go back to the 50's with the 6V lights- that wold be better for the retinas (maybe not so good for your NCB though)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Anan1 wrote:
    Very impressive, although they'd want to be for €2,000.

In pure Yorkshire style: Hhhhaaaooow much? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

ambro25 wrote: »
    In pure Yorkshire style: Hhhhaaaooow much? :D
    :D

My favourite bit was when she subverted God knows how many millions of BMW marketing spend by referring to her Angel Eyes as 'Fairy Lights'..

So are we stuck with these things then, or is there any hope they'll bring in a proper standard, including of course for after market fit outs, that doesnt remove your retinas... Might be worth getting in touch with the road safety authority and ask their opinion on this one.
    Might drop them an email this evening and see.

All it takes is a moments distraction sometimes, esp at night, to have a nasty accident.

Side Note: Do BMW really call them Angel Eyes? You'd know the marketing bunnies were involved alright:p.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

So are we stuck with these things then, or is there any hope they'll bring in a proper standard, including of course for after market fit outs, that doesnt remove your retinas... Might be worth getting in touch with the road safety authority and ask their opinion on this one.
    Yes, I've always found it a bit bizarre to say the least that factory fitted xenons have to have auto-levellers and headlamp washers fitted, but aftermarket ones (mainly the ones that are just xenon bulbs in a normal reflector housing) don't. I mean, I guess the decision to place these restrictions on factory-fitted ones was done for very valid reasons, i.e. to minimize glare, so why don't they equally apply to aftermarket ones if the reasons were so compelling?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭ptashka

BostonB wrote: »
    Driving in Germany isn't a problem I have very often. You could get driving glasses which would filter the glare.

at night ??????!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

ptashka wrote: »
    at night ??????!!!!!!

During the day, European countries tend to have day time running lights, DRL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭MarkN

I think anyone who moans about xenons needs to drive a car with them.

They are just such a brilliant piece of kit, particularly bi-xenons which I have had in 3 cars now and anything that can spread more light, particularly brighter light, is going to make things better and safer.

I drive through the Phoenix Park on a daily basis, often at night (no smart comments!) and I can see deer lurking at the grass edge contemplating darting out far earlier than someone without xenons - just one example.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1Y1-110693531.html

"Xenon Light 'Saves Lives,' Says TUeV Rheinland Study and Protects the Environment!"
    18% Fatality reduction (find that hard to believe, but meh) and better for the environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

@Ned, Are your lights not down so low as to never be in other drivers' eyes? I don't know how low the ride height is in new minis, but I know it affected one of the lads in his 1985 mini, he was so low that the dims in other cars were still dazzling him, and his full lights never bothered others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

I hate those lights!

I don't care if the driver thinks it makes driving safer for him. You're making it more uncomfortable every single driver you drive behind. They're like the ultimate selfish indulgence. Oh look, I can see more, never mind that the guy in front of me is having to squint due to the brightness. Should be banned the lot of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭MarkN

Would ya get a grip !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

vorbis wrote: »
    I hate those lights!

I don't care if the driver thinks it makes driving safer for him..
    You disagree that being able to see farther at night makes for a safer drive?

wet-paint wrote: »
    You disagree that being able to see farther at night makes for a safer drive?

Depends, could dazzle someone and they could drive into you. But you'd see it coming at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

BostonB wrote: »
    Depends, could dazzle someone and they could drive into you. But you'd see it coming at least.

Is that because if you are dazzled you will naturally put your foot down? Better ban headlights too then...

Is that because if you are dazzled you will naturally put your foot down? Better ban headlights too then...

Well I was thinking more of steering into the path of someone as you are dazzled and can't see. I dunno why you think someone would accelerate as a reaction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I find mis-aligned lights (any type) and SUVs behind me shining their lights directly in my mirrors ('98 Fiesta) much more annoying than any xenons.

Advertisement