Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Xenon Lights - Anyone else find them really distracting

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I don't like them, Irish roads are too bumpy for them to be both effective and safe for others.

Night vision is the future anyway!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

MarkN you've hit the nail on the head of the advantage and the problem.

The fact that they spread more light, especially brighter light, is exactly the problem for other drivers.

It may be safer for the user of the xenons, but I feel less safe when dazzled by xenons.

Its exactly why a standard is needed. Perhaps I've mainly been having a problem with after market badly fitted xenons, I can't say for sure. Theres is an issue of other road users safety to be considered here.

Misaligned xenons are a menace on the eyes (admitedly mis-aligned halogens are bad too, though the xenons seem to flash more off the side mirrors even with the rear view mirror dimmed), and suvs with them is another problem to solve since they are higher up to start with.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

vorbis wrote: »
    I don't care if the driver thinks it makes driving safer for him. You're making it more uncomfortable every single driver you drive behind. They're like the ultimate selfish indulgence. Oh look, I can see more, never mind that the guy in front of me is having to squint due to the brightness. Should be banned the lot of them.

That is quite possibly the most narrowminded post I've read on here. I do an exceptional amount of night time driving, as I play with a band at weekends, and usually end up coming home around 3/4am. Xenons have made my life much easier, and allow me to see easily at night without straining my eyes.

They make me safer, and consequently, the roads safer. The sooner old fashioned lights are done away with (With their 100 year old design and tech), and a new standard for Xenons is brought in, the better. For the record, most of you moaning and whining here about Xenons are affected by the aftermarket light clusters/bulbs. Factory fitted items are much better indeed, and do self level, and have washers fitted as part of the standard.

ned78 wrote: »
    They make me safer, and consequently, the roads safer.

Not quite correct, its not as simple as that. I agree they may make you safer. When Im dazzled by them, aftermarket or no, I do not feel safer. If im distracted and have an accident the roads are not then safer by others use of xenons .

Im sorry you feel its "moaning and whining" but its not an astetic thing here, its a saftey issue - or a balance of safety as its an issue with pros and cons currently, and I agree with you, a standard is required.

Also to say its just aftermarket xenons is also not the only problem. SUVs with xenons are higher up and are definitely worse.

I cant imagine many 07 Range Rover drivers fitting cheap after market xenons and Ive been blinded by them plenty of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I don't get "blinded" by xenons and HID's because I don't stare at them.

• Advertisement

Thats what Im doing wrong all this time...:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I don't get "blinded" by xenons and HID's because I don't stare at them.

It's amazing how many people just can't look away Colm! They feel compelled to stare at the oncoming headlights. Just keep your eye on your own section of road, and it's nigh on impossible to be dazzled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Ice_Box

if anybody needs brighter bulbs you can now get Osram Nightbreaker Halogen bulbs that are 90% brighter than standard bulbs. No need for after market xenon kit. I put the these in my dads car and he noticed a huge difference. I use phillips xtream power +80%, they're good too. These bulbs are 100% legal.

http://www.powerbulbs.com/product_list_search.asp?criteria=night+breaker

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

I've recently fitted after market HID's to my car, there is a huge difference in the light output.
    Where can you get your lights professionnaly focused? Just to make sure they aren't dazzling anyone else.
    Thanks

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

BostonB wrote: »
    Well I was thinking more of steering into the path of someone as you are dazzled and can't see. I dunno why you think someone would accelerate as a reaction.

why would you steer into the path of someone when dazzled? You would slow down not jerk the wheel?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Crazy the amount of people complaining about being blinded buy HID's.... With all their fancy arguements about them, you would think they would have the cop on to LOOK AWAY :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Crazy the amount of people complaining about being blinded buy HID's.... With all their fancy arguements about them, you would think they would have the cop on to LOOK AWAY :rolleyes:
    From the road, yeah? Good thinking Batman.

Anan1 wrote: »
    From the road, yeah? Good thinking Batman.

Not from the road, from the lights Robin;)

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭smitas5

I think there was a point made earlier on. it doesn't matter if it's HID or a halogen bulb you have. If it's badly pointed then it can distract the traffic in the front. even the fog-lights can do damage to oncoming traffic. HID is the way to go and they last 8-10 times longer anyway. Adjust them well. Keep the lights clean if you do not have the washers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I was showing my mother how to drive recently (!) in advance of her test. She's been driving for 11 years and failed the test about 3 times. She passed this time but she always complained about driving in the dark.

I brought her out and we took to the backroads and after about an hour of telling her to stop looking at the lights and look at the ditch instead, she was as comfortable at night as day since. I realised it was that she actually had the same problem on the backroads during the day. I told her it was the same thing- ignore the car, focus on the ditch and the gap, ASSUME they will do the same and you'll be sound as a pound. You WILL instictively know if someone is about to smash into you.

So yes, this was at least one case of paying attention to the wrong thing when out driving. So yes, look away and don't look directly into the light when when driving at night. Watch the road properly instead. This is the case whether lights are xenon or halogen.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Looking away is all well and good, but as mike said, on bumpy roads that doesn't work ...at some stage those lights will shine right down your pupil no matter where you're looking.

Wear shades... :cool:

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Wear shades... :cool:

:p

I already do because of all the fog lights. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

mike65 wrote: »
    I don't like them, Irish roads are too bumpy for them to be both effective and safe for others.

Night vision is the future anyway!

Mike.

on the button

If I recall correctly then there is night vision already in the new S class Merc
    ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

smitas5 wrote: »
    If I recall correctly then there is night vision already in the new S class Merc
    ;)

But not before it was brought out in the Honda Legend about 2 years ago in Japan, but no one was buying it as an extra, so I think they may have dropped it. If I were in the market for a Legend, I'd choose it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

Biro wrote: »
    But not before it was brought out in the Honda Legend about 2 years ago in Japan, but no one was buying it as an extra, so I think they may have dropped it. If I were in the market for a Legend, I'd choose it!

Is is not standard on the Legend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Rhiannon14

I cannot see any justification for these lights. Unless you live in the middle of the country and never encounter any other vehicles:rolleyes:. Even when I flick my rear view to night mode the lights are still blinding! Hate those things! *gets BB gun*

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I love my HID's. I may even get them on the back instead of fogs.

Good man... Way to go.
    Halogen is last century thing

Advertisement